UIUC 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
diegoforlan10

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby diegoforlan10 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:38 am

mattviphky wrote:not that it matters, but 35th. Hopefully this will help UIUC be abit more generous.

You bet your bottom I'm gonna be asking for a scholly boost! Obviously I'll word it much more politely :D

At the end of the day, job placement is the single most important factor when choosing a law school. UIUC still manages to compete well. I won't be taking these new rankings too seriously. Could have been much worse.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:45 am

Email from Dean Smith:

Dean Smith wrote:Dear Students:

Earlier today, U.S. News & World Report released its annual Graduate School Rankings. This year, U.S. News ranked the College of Law 35th on its list of the nation’s best law schools.

Fall 2011, when the most recent round of U.S. News voting occurred, was a challenging period for the College of Law. However, the defining attribute of the College – its track record of producing great lawyers – has never been stronger. In this year’s U.S. News survey, the College’s reputation among lawyers and judges increased to its highest point in a decade, reflecting the national stature of the College and employers’ high regard for our students and graduates. As significantly, the National Law Journal recently ranked the College 16th in the nation in its survey of “Go-To Law Schools” as measured by the number of associates who became partners over the past year at major U.S. law firms – placing the College in the company of Ivy League institutions and other law schools twice its size.

During the past three years, we have expanded our faculty, added new clinics and postgraduate fellowships, and transformed our Career Services Office. In the coming weeks, we expect to successfully conclude the most ambitious capital campaign in the College’s history. And we have bold plans to expand our curriculum in Chicago. Going forward, I am confident that the core fundamentals of the College of Law and our plans for the future will continue to position the College among the nation’s outstanding law schools.

Best regards,

Bruce Smith

Bruce P. Smith
Dean and Guy Raymond Jones Faculty Scholar
University of Illinois College of Law
504 East Pennsylvania Ave
Champaign, IL 61820

mrjohnsterman

Postby mrjohnsterman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:57 am

diegoforlan10 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:not that it matters, but 35th. Hopefully this will help UIUC be abit more generous.

You bet your bottom I'm gonna be asking for a scholly boost! Obviously I'll word it much more politely :D

At the end of the day, job placement is the single most important factor when choosing a law school. UIUC still manages to compete well. I won't be taking these new rankings too seriously. Could have been much worse.

The ranking drop doesn't worry me about U of I. What worries me is the things I hear floating around on this site about a lot of first year students attempting to transfer out. If a large portion of students transfer out I worry the job results may disappear as well.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:00 pm

mrjohnsterman wrote:
diegoforlan10 wrote:

The ranking drop doesn't worry me about U of I. What worries me is the things I hear floating around on this site about a lot of first year students attempting to transfer out. If a large portion of students transfer out I worry the job results may disappear as well.

I'm surprised at how few people I hear of transferring out. There are people at the top going, of course, but they were gone with or without the scandal. The other people, those who said they were leaving no matter what back in October, seem to have cooled down a little and realized that paying more for worse job prospects at IU/WI/IA etc or even similar job prospects at WUSTL/ND etc is a bad idea. Then again, I'm not a 1L and I don't know TOO many of them--perhaps a current 1L can weigh in on the general feeling of the class? JoeFish?

Also, I'm interested in seeing how many people transfer IN this year. My 1L class had 225 students in it and a bunch transferred up (and a few made lateral moves due to geography) but we still increased our class size to 238 this year through transfers.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:53 pm

blurbz wrote:
Also, I'm interested in seeing how many people transfer IN this year. My 1L class had 225 students in it and a bunch transferred up (and a few made lateral moves due to geography better weed) but we still increased our class size to 238 this year through transfers.

ftfy

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:24 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
blurbz wrote:
Also, I'm interested in seeing how many people transfer IN this year. My 1L class had 225 students in it and a bunch transferred up (and a few made lateral moves due to geography better weed) but we still increased our class size to 238 this year through transfers.

ftfy

hahahah there were so many things that could have gone there.

tmon

Postby tmon » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:46 pm

blurbz wrote:Email from Dean Smith:

Blurbz, could you, or another current student comment on the following excerpt from the above letter?
added new clinics and postgraduate fellowships, and transformed our Career Services Office. In the coming weeks, we expect to successfully conclude the most ambitious capital campaign in the College’s history. And we have bold plans to expand our curriculum in Chicago. Going forward, I am confident that the core fundamentals of the College of Law and our plans for the future will continue to position the College among the nation’s outstanding law schools.

Are there any concrete plans you've heard of to get more students into Chicago, or do you think this is just something in the planning stages that could be years away still? It's looking like I'll most likely be making the UIUC vs WUSTL decision, and along with considering the money and a couple other factors, I think it comes down to Chicago placement. I'm starting to get the feeling that UIUC could be a better bet, but more info toward that factor would be helpful.

flyingduck

Postby flyingduck » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:42 pm

Anyone hear back on scholarship reconsideration requests? It's been two weeks since I've gotten a replay back saying that they'll contact me back and the deadlines for the first seat deposits from some schools are coming up fast.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:08 pm

flyingduck wrote:Anyone hear back on scholarship reconsideration requests? It's been two weeks since I've gotten a replay back saying that they'll contact me back and the deadlines for the first seat deposits from some schools are coming up fast.

Nah, I haven't even heard back from my original request. I hope I can speak with someone tomorrow that can ease some of my concerns. The COA is just too ridiculous (not just UIUC but most law schools)

Edited for atrocious grammar!
Last edited by tooswolle on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:06 pm

tooswolle wrote:
flyingduck wrote:Anyone hear back on scholarship reconsideration requests? It's been two weeks since I've gotten a replay back saying that they'll contact me back and the deadlines for the first seat deposits from some schools are coming up fast.

Nah, I haven't even heard back from my original request. I hope I cancer with someone tommorrow that can help these concerns. The COA is just too ridiculous.

I guess it's been awhile since I was applying to schools but is Illinois COA more than other schools? Cost of living is so cheap here I don't know why it would be so high.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:06 pm

tooswolle wrote:

Nah, I haven't even heard back from my original request. I hope I cancer with someone tommorrow that can help these concerns. The COA is just too ridiculous.

Gotta love autocorrect.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:19 pm

Opie wrote:
tooswolle wrote:

Gotta love autocorrect.

Guilty as charged I really need to proof read when typing from my phone. Granted Illinois is cheaper when compared to most places but I'm just scared to take on a lot of debt.

flyingduck

Postby flyingduck » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:38 pm

tooswolle wrote:

Nah, I haven't even heard back from my original request. I hope I can speak with someone tomorrow that can ease some of my concerns. The COA is just too ridiculous (not just UIUC but most law schools)

Thanks, I guess I'll give them a call at the end of the week if I don't get anything by Thursday.

station4

Postby station4 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:32 am

flyingduck wrote:
tooswolle wrote:

Thanks, I guess I'll give them a call at the end of the week if I don't get anything by Thursday.

I was at the Admitted Students reception last night in Chicago and spoke with Ms. Carroll, the Admissions Director. She said that they are working through their scholarship reconsideration requests and trying to get some out every day. I heard back yesterday (very favorably) and the email was lengthy and personalized to my situation, indicating that they had spent some time considering my request and responding to it. The point being, they are working through them and hopefully you will hear soon. Never hurts to check in, but they didn't forget about them.

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:12 am

I'm going to write a scholarship reconsideration request today. Any tips on what to include? Is there a guide somewhere on this site that you looked at for suggestions? I assume I can't just come out and say "give me more money or I'm going somewhere else" right?

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:47 am

I was originally awarded a 75% scholarship at Illinois, which was awesome and for which I was very grateful. Iowa (my home state and desired market) responded with a full tuition fellowship a short while later. Jenny told me to send over a copy of my Iowa letter to them and they would look at increasing their original scholarship offer.

After a month, she emailed me Monday that they would not be increasing the scholarship. It looks like I will save myself the $33,000 and go to Iowa, even though I really liked Illinois when I visited. While thankful for Illinois' scholarship, I think Iowa will be a great fit.

northside

Postby northside » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:57 am

So i was planning on submitting a scholarship request once I finished my finals this week, but then of course the rankings came out today. So will it look bad if I submit this week? I don't want it to look like that was why I'm asking.

mrjohnsterman

Postby mrjohnsterman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:59 am

northside wrote:So i was planning on submitting a scholarship request once I finished my finals this week, but then of course the rankings came out today. So will it look bad if I submit this week? I don't want it to look like that was why I'm asking.

If you have legitimate scholarships from competing schools I would think getting your letter in soon would be smart, as they are likely to get a large number of requests in the near future and likely have limited funding to work with.

Just my opinion though.
Last edited by mrjohnsterman on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:03 am

DportIA wrote:I was originally awarded a 75% scholarship at Illinois, which was awesome and for which I was very grateful. Iowa (my home state and desired market) responded with a full tuition fellowship a short while later. Jenny told me to send over a copy of my Iowa letter to them and they would look at increasing their original scholarship offer.

After a month, she emailed me Monday that they would not be increasing the scholarship. It looks like I will save myself the $33,000 and go to Iowa, even though I really liked Illinois when I visited. While thankful for Illinois' scholarship, I think Iowa will be a great fit.

Congrats on the full ride to Iowa. If that's where you want to work after graduation it sounds like you made the right choice.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:52 pm

How was the reception? What can one expect? I'll be attending one tonight.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:06 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:I'm going to write a scholarship reconsideration request today. Any tips on what to include? Is there a guide somewhere on this site that you looked at for suggestions? I assume I can't just come out and say "give me more money or I'm going somewhere else" right?

this thread has useful information:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

for what it is worth, I basically told them to give me more money or I was going elsewhere and that worked. In addition to that though, I played up my other schools and how they were objectively better fits for me but how I really wanted illinois.

EMAW12

Postby EMAW12 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:57 pm

I'm on Spring Break next week and will be visiting Iowa's ASW on the 23rd. I'm on hold at UIUC with numbers that should get me in (164, 3.7). I'm currently waiting on some news that would make for a great LOCI.

I'm playing around with the idea of running over to Champaign on Thursday to get my face in front of some people at the law school to see if that could help my chances at all. Think it would be worth it?

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:32 pm

EMAW12 wrote:I'm on Spring Break next week and will be visiting Iowa's ASW on the 23rd. I'm on hold at UIUC with numbers that should get me in (164, 3.7). I'm currently waiting on some news that would make for a great LOCI.

I'm playing around with the idea of running over to Champaign on Thursday to get my face in front of some people at the law school to see if that could help my chances at all. Think it would be worth it?

I'd go. Couldn't hurt and I'm no expert but I got flat out rejected from a couple of schools where my numbers are significantly above their averages simply b/c I did no Why _____ and did not visit.

In other news, I got my scholarship offers from LUC, Chicago-Kent, and Iowa... all pretty unimpressive so still pretty sure I'll be going to UIUC.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:00 pm

This was somewhat covered I believe... but if someone were to send the first seat deposit to Illinois and then get another acceptance and go there, how unhappy would Illinois be?

It seems like they'd make $500 and easily find someone on the wait-list so would they really care?

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:05 pm

givemea170 wrote:This was somewhat covered I believe... but if someone were to send the first seat deposit to Illinois and then get another acceptance and go there, how unhappy would Illinois be?

It seems like they'd make $500 and easily find someone on the wait-list so would they really care?

Pretty sure it happens all the time, and really, what would could they say beyond "we wish you didn't do that" really? Many applicants end up depositing at multiple schools if they're waiting on financial reconsideration or whatever too, so it seems like it's just part of the system.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”