UIUC 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
flyingduck

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby flyingduck » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:46 pm

illini22 wrote:
givemea170 wrote:
littlepanda wrote:
givemea170 wrote:Just to throw this question out there, what are the nicest apartments around there? My girlfriend is picky and will complain for years and I won't get any work done if the apartment isn't to her complete satisfaction. :lol:

i am also interested in this, particularly furnished studios

I'd also like to check out some condos/townhomes that are for rent and are considered luxury. Not sure where to start. Might just have to go get a hotel for a week and figure it out.

Edit: If anyone wants to go condo/apartment hunting let me know.

Do you have to be a student to live there? Pictures look nice, will have to go get a tour.

I second the recommendations. You don't need to be a student to live there. Personally, I'd go with Burnham 310 because there are a hell of a lot of parties thrown at 309 because of how party-friendly the security/location/living rooms are. You can't really count on it ever being quiet once the sun sets. Not to mention the elevator situation which is horrible. The building has 2 slow elevators for the all 24 floors. It would be faster walking down the stairs from the top floor than waiting for the elevator at almost all hours of the day. And Burnham 310 has a County Market at ground level which is very convenient. It'll save you a great deal of travel time throughout the year.

in2win

Postby in2win » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:34 pm

ashen wrote:Had some friends live at 310 Burnham

this is also the building that had a med school student jump thru the top floor window onto the roof of the building nextdoor only to get up and throw himself off that roof also. take that for what its worth

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:50 pm

I was thinking about the 310 Burnham, then I saw the cost. Plus, all the 1 beds are taken up, and I really don't want to pay 800 bucks for a studio.

flyingduck

Postby flyingduck » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:04 pm

in2win wrote:
ashen wrote:Had some friends live at 310 Burnham

this is also the building that had a med school student jump thru the top floor window onto the roof of the building nextdoor only to get up and throw himself off that roof also. take that for what its worth

I always thought it was onto the top of a lower extension. And I think it was a graduate student in civil engineering, if that makes any difference.

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:57 pm

mattviphky wrote:I was thinking about the 310 Burnham, then I saw the cost. Plus, all the 1 beds are taken up, and I really don't want to pay 800 bucks for a studio.

I thought the one bedroom with study looked nice.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:19 am

ashen wrote:Waitlisted but thought I'd offer some insight on housing for those of you who are looking.

I lived at 309 Green for two years. Paid about 750 a month. Fully furnished with really nice furniture and appliances, great view (especially out on the balcony), and is in walking distance to anywhere on campus. Loved living there but can get rowdy over the weekends. Expect to hold your breath in the elevator if you don't find the smell of beer and puke to be agreeable. And speaking of elevators, with only two elevators servicing 24 floors, I ended up having to leave around fifteen minutes early any time I had to be anywhere.

Had some friends live at 310 Burnham and it seemed a lot more quiet and relaxing. I think they ended paying about 650 per month. Having a supermarket downstairs is always a plus. Also, they're constantly offering deals since they don't usually fill up very quickly. Will probably sign here if I end up getting off this WL!

If these two options don't click with you guys there are tons of cheaper apartments near campus that can be found south of Wright Street near Green Street but your mileage will vary here, just make sure to avoid the apartments managed by CPM and you should be okay.

If you have a car, living near Downtown Champaign or near Lincoln Ave. in Urbana isn't a bad choice either.

Do you know of any condos that may be for rent that are considered on the nicer scale. To avoid telling my whole life story, I'll just say that my girlfriend and I, and another mouth on the way would like to be in an environment that is away from 'student life'... I really can't imagine being around a ton of college kids partying considering our situation. Maybe I should contact a real estate agent?

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:21 am

[/quote]

I second the recommendations. You don't need to be a student to live there. Personally, I'd go with Burnham 310 because there are a hell of a lot of parties thrown at 309 because of how party-friendly the security/location/living rooms are. You can't really count on it ever being quiet once the sun sets. Not to mention the elevator situation which is horrible. The building has 2 slow elevators for the all 24 floors. It would be faster walking down the stairs from the top floor than waiting for the elevator at almost all hours of the day. And Burnham 310 has a County Market at ground level which is very convenient. It'll save you a great deal of travel time throughout the year.[/quote]

They both look very nice, but I think I'm going to have to avoid anything that kind of seems like a dorm and the pictures on the website make it seem more like a dorm than an apartment complex... I probably need to just rent a house or a condo. Will cost more but it doesn't seem like it will have what I need if I don't.

Wart

Postby Wart » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:26 pm

givemea170 wrote:Do you know of any condos that may be for rent that are considered on the nicer scale. To avoid telling my whole life story, I'll just say that my girlfriend and I, and another mouth on the way would like to be in an environment that is away from 'student life'... I really can't imagine being around a ton of college kids partying considering our situation. Maybe I should contact a real estate agent?

My situation and preferences were pretty much the exact same as yours when I was looking for housing. From my experience, if you want a nice place that is more family friendly, you'll have to go a little further from campus (houses may be an exception to this). However I don't think that distance is that big of a deal because there's zero traffic (I live on the outskirts of town and it takes me 7 minutes to get to the law school). Here's a list of places you might be interested in:

-Baytowne Apartments
-Windsor West
-Amber Pointe Apartments
-Gentry Square
-Tuscany Park

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:34 pm

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but http://www.padmapper.com

btw384

Postby btw384 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:09 pm

Opie wrote:Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but http://www.padmapper.com

This is the best website of all time. How did I not know about this in undergrad?

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:14 pm

btw384 wrote:
Opie wrote:Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but http://www.padmapper.com

This is the best website of all time. How did I not know about this in undergrad?

I didn't know about it until it showed up in the Iowa thread. I love it.

monkeysez

Postby monkeysez » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:39 pm

Thank you all for the great recommendations.

smhaaty

Postby smhaaty » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:15 pm

I was checking the Wikipedia page for Urbana and Champaign and noticed that on average there are 120 days of rain and 18 days of snow a year. That's nearly 40% of the year! Coming from Southern California, where there is 36 days of rain a year that's very surprising to me. Anyone from Urbana-Champaign care to comment on what the weather is like?

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:36 pm

smhaaty wrote:I was checking the Wikipedia page for Urbana and Champaign and noticed that on average there are 120 days of rain and 18 days of snow a year. That's nearly 40% of the year! Coming from Southern California, where there is 36 days of rain a year that's very surprising to me. Anyone from Urbana-Champaign care to comment on what the weather is like?

I'm from central il, and I gotta say, the rainy days seem too high, and the snow days seem rather low. But i won't argue if those are official stats...but I highly doubt they distinguish between substantial downpours and the slight drizzles

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:44 pm

smhaaty wrote:I was checking the Wikipedia page for Urbana and Champaign and noticed that on average there are 120 days of rain and 18 days of snow a year. That's nearly 40% of the year! Coming from Southern California, where there is 36 days of rain a year that's very surprising to me. Anyone from Urbana-Champaign care to comment on what the weather is like?

I'm from LA and I've never found the difference in weather to be that big a deal. I've never lived in snow before so it was kind of fun for me. It's cool living in a place that has seasons. It never really felt to me that there was that much rain. For me the worst part was the summer. The humid summers here are disgusting.

The bigger culture shock for me has been dealing with the slowest and dumbest drivers I've ever encountered in my life.

smhaaty

Postby smhaaty » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:30 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:I'm from LA and I've never found the difference in weather to be that big a deal. I've never lived in snow before so it was kind of fun for me. It's cool living in a place that has seasons. It never really felt to me that there was that much rain. For me the worst part was the summer. The humid summers here are disgusting.

The bigger culture shock for me has been dealing with the slowest and dumbest drivers I've ever encountered in my life.

Good to know. I like rain, but 120 days seemed a bit much.

With regards to traffic, I imagine that they aren't as rude as LA drivers?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:35 pm

smhaaty wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:I'm from LA and I've never found the difference in weather to be that big a deal. I've never lived in snow before so it was kind of fun for me. It's cool living in a place that has seasons. It never really felt to me that there was that much rain. For me the worst part was the summer. The humid summers here are disgusting.

Good to know. I like rain, but 120 days seemed a bit much.

With regards to traffic, I imagine that they aren't as rude as LA drivers?

No they're the complete opposite extreme. They are too nice and they drive at exactly the posted speed limit at all times. They also do a weird thing I have never seen in LA where they will drive right next to each other for miles going down the street. They will just form a wall of stupid that doesn't allow anyone to pass. They have no concept of the left lane being the fast lane. At least once a week I have to veer into oncoming traffic just to pass somebody. /rant.

That's my biggest complaint about the city though, so it could be worse.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:10 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:

I'm from LA and I've never found the difference in weather to be that big a deal. I've never lived in snow before so it was kind of fun for me. It's cool living in a place that has seasons. It never really felt to me that there was that much rain. For me the worst part was the summer. The humid summers here are disgusting.

As a Californian this made me laugh. I thought we had a lot of bad drivers.

Anyways to all the Cali people have you guys signed up for the open house? How are you guys planning the logistics of the move? I'm not 100% if I'll be attending or deferring (current job is going too well to leave)....But really want to know.

smhaaty

Postby smhaaty » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:25 am

tooswolle wrote:As a Californian this made me laugh. I thought we had a lot of bad drivers.

Anyways to all the Cali people have you guys signed up for the open house? How are you guys planning the logistics of the move? I'm not 100% if I'll be attending or deferring (current job is going too well to leave)....But really want to know.

I'm signed up for April open house. If I decide to attend, I'm packing all my clothes and books into my car and driving I suppose.

monkeysez

Postby monkeysez » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:39 am

I am selling everything big, hitching a trailer to my car, and what fits goes with me.

illini22

Postby illini22 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:54 pm

monkeysez wrote:I am selling everything big, hitching a trailer to my car, and what fits goes with me.

Amtrak ships VERY CHEAP/FAST.

Thats what I used and I think I pay less than $100 for all my belongings (and I have a lot of shit).

monkeysez

Postby monkeysez » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:25 pm

illini22 wrote:
monkeysez wrote:I am selling everything big, hitching a trailer to my car, and what fits goes with me.

Amtrak ships VERY CHEAP/FAST.

Thats what I used and I think I pay less than $100 for all my belongings (and I have a lot of shit).

Can you elaborate a little more on how you shipped? Did you find information on the amtrak website?

jpickman

Postby jpickman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:47 pm

I have yet to send in my seat deposit but will almost assuredly be attending UIUC this fall. I am currently looking into housing options and was wondering if any current students could throw some advice my way about navigating Champagne. Are there certain locations that are within walking distance to the law school? What is reasonable for rent for a one bedroom (I'm coming from Ann Arbor where rent is ridiculously high; might as well be living in Chicago for what I'm paying right now)? Is it necessary to have a car in Champagne? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

northside

Postby northside » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:13 pm

Has anybody tried to negotiate?

It doesn't look like I am going to be able to visit because their spring break is the same as mine. Is it a bad idea to try and negotiate w/o a visit?

I really really really really want to go to UIUC but 0 debt IU-B is more tempting than expected.

in2win

Postby in2win » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:11 pm

Still on hold!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”