UIUC 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ludo!

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby Ludo! » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:37 pm

mattviphky wrote:what DO you recommend for living?

I live in a quiet neighborhood near downtown Champaign and I love it. Have never thought about moving. A lot of people live in the Village or Indigo Place or a place like that and those have certain advantages. I wouldn't want to live that far away or around that many other students but I see why people like it there. Just anywhere that's not on-campus is good.

in2win

Postby in2win » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:40 pm

i think the best choice would be to find an apartment south of wright street but not too far south. i think this would be considered the engineering campus which is where I think the law school is ( correct if im wrong). There is plenty of off campus housing which is cheaper also, but some of the places that come to mind would be too far off campus for me to consider living there.

monkeysez

Postby monkeysez » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:02 pm

Not to turn this into a housing forum but, looking for a 2 bed 1 bath around $700. Any ideas of nice places to live.

in2win

Postby in2win » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:33 pm

on or off campus

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:14 pm

monkeysez

Postby monkeysez » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:28 pm

in2win wrote:on or off campus

off campus

jrthor10

Postby jrthor10 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:29 pm

Has anyone started negotiating $$ at UIUC or know how likely they are to do so?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:56 pm

monkeysez wrote:Not to turn this into a housing forum but, looking for a 2 bed 1 bath around $700. Any ideas of nice places to live.

I have a small 2 bedroom that's less than that. I'm with Royse & Brinkmeyer and they've probably been the best company I've ever rented from, never had a problem in the year and a half I've lived here. Also, if you haven't done so already, take advantage of the tenant union: http://www.tenantunion.uiuc.edu. They'll give you detailed reports of complaints about any realty company you ask about. They'll also review your lease for you for free before you sign it.

flyingduck

Postby flyingduck » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:32 pm

in2win wrote:

i think the best choice would be to find an apartment south of wright street but not too far south. i think this would be considered the engineering campus which is where I think the law school is ( correct if im wrong). There is plenty of off campus housing which is cheaper also, but some of the places that come to mind would be too far off campus for me to consider living there.

Wright street runs north/south. The engineering campus is north of green st, between wright st and lincoln ave. The law school is 7 blocks south and 1 block west of the engineering campus.

Off campus housing would be better IMO. Campus town is loud every night of the week all school-year long because of 1. the extensive fraternity and sorority system and 2. the bar legal age of 19 in Urbana and Champaign.

Urbana is great if you like it quiet because residents need permits to throw loud parties there and everyone heads to party at the bars and apartments near green st. between wright and 4th. Additionally, housing in downtown Champaign is pretty nice. Its its own environment, separate from campus town (green st.). The people there are pleasant and mature. And there are quite a few eats and lounges there. There are also housing options south of campus but there are a lot of cornfields separating you from the law school. Additionally, a very efficient and exhaustive bus system (http://www.cuMTD.com) connecting downtown Champaign, all of campus, and downtown Urbana in case you would prefer not to use a car. They also run until 3 am I think.

And I second Ludovico Technique's advice of checking the tenant union for ratings on landlords. Some are great and some are terrible (avoid PPM at all costs).

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:54 pm

Just to throw this question out there, what are the nicest apartments around there? My girlfriend is picky and will complain for years and I won't get any work done if the apartment isn't to her complete satisfaction. :lol:

littlepanda

Postby littlepanda » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:03 pm

givemea170 wrote:Just to throw this question out there, what are the nicest apartments around there? My girlfriend is picky and will complain for years and I won't get any work done if the apartment isn't to her complete satisfaction. :lol:

i am also interested in this, particularly furnished studios

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:04 pm

littlepanda wrote:
givemea170 wrote:Just to throw this question out there, what are the nicest apartments around there? My girlfriend is picky and will complain for years and I won't get any work done if the apartment isn't to her complete satisfaction. :lol:

I'd also like to check out some condos/townhomes that are for rent and are considered luxury. Not sure where to start. Might just have to go get a hotel for a week and figure it out.

Edit: If anyone wants to go condo/apartment hunting let me know.

illini22

Postby illini22 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:23 pm

givemea170 wrote:
littlepanda wrote:

I'd also like to check out some condos/townhomes that are for rent and are considered luxury. Not sure where to start. Might just have to go get a hotel for a week and figure it out.

(309 apartments) and (Burnham 310) are considered "luxurious" here. They are pretty nice, even with a nice view. Many law students live in both.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:25 pm

illini22 wrote:
givemea170 wrote:
littlepanda wrote:

(309 apartments) and (Burnham 310) are considered "luxurious" here. They are pretty nice, even with a nice view. Many law students live in both.

Do you have to be a student to live there? Pictures look nice, will have to go get a tour.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:02 am

I thought I had the whole living situation figured out. I was going to live with my girlfriend in a 1 bed, so it would be pretty cheap and cut way down on my borrowing. But we recently broke up, so now my whole living situation is outta whack. I was curious about 1bed, but they are pretty pricey. I was actually thinking sharing a 2 bed/2 bath with a couple might not be a bad choice, cuz it splits the rent 3 ways. Idk, I might just live by myself anyways. I don't know anyone going to UIUC right now (or at least well enough to live with), and cosigning a lease might not be the best time to begin knowing somebody. Oh well, maybe I could just pledge, those frat houses are amazing 8)

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:41 am

mattviphky wrote:I thought I had the whole living situation figured out. I was going to live with my girlfriend in a 1 bed, so it would be pretty cheap and cut way down on my borrowing. But we recently broke up, so now my whole living situation is outta whack. I was curious about 1bed, but they are pretty pricey. I was actually thinking sharing a 2 bed/2 bath with a couple might not be a bad choice, cuz it splits the rent 3 ways. Idk, I might just live by myself anyways. I don't know anyone going to UIUC right now (or at least well enough to live with), and cosigning a lease might not be the best time to begin knowing somebody. Oh well, maybe I could just pledge, those frat houses are amazing 8)

Living with a couple? That'd be awkward... you'd be the continual 3rd wheel.

smhaaty

Postby smhaaty » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:55 am

I'm looking at apartments online and I'm blown away by how cheap it is! Fully furnished 1 bedroom apartment for $850? I can't even get an unfurnished studio apartment at that price where I live.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:22 am

givemea170 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:I thought I had the whole living situation figured out. I was going to live with my girlfriend in a 1 bed, so it would be pretty cheap and cut way down on my borrowing. But we recently broke up, so now my whole living situation is outta whack. I was curious about 1bed, but they are pretty pricey. I was actually thinking sharing a 2 bed/2 bath with a couple might not be a bad choice, cuz it splits the rent 3 ways. Idk, I might just live by myself anyways. I don't know anyone going to UIUC right now (or at least well enough to live with), and cosigning a lease might not be the best time to begin knowing somebody. Oh well, maybe I could just pledge, those frat houses are amazing 8)

Living with a couple? That'd be awkward... you'd be the continual 3rd wheel.

Well I did it through most of my college, I my roommate had a girlfriend that moved in. It wasn't a big deal, we were all friends. But then again, it was college, so it wasn't like they were going out to meet with decorators while I just slummed around. We were all pretty much in the same boat, and it was cool...it gives you someone to talk to if your roommate is gone, as well. Although, my senior year I lived with another buddy and his brother. The brother had a girlfriend who moved in and was a total bitch. So I think it depends on the people, and the type of couple they are.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:23 am

the more i talk about it, the more I realize that a 1 bedroom might be the way to go my first year...just too many wildcards out there.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:34 am

mattviphky wrote:the more i talk about it, the more I realize that a 1 bedroom might be the way to go my first year...just too many wildcards out there.

Yeah... I'd look that route.

I'd honestly be willing to pay up to $1200 a month so I'm trying to find some really nice condos for rent. I've always hated apartments and if I can avoid it I probably will.

littlepanda

Postby littlepanda » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:09 am

illini22 wrote:(309 apartments) and (Burnham 310) are considered "luxurious" here. They are pretty nice, even with a nice view. Many law students live in both.

the burnham 310 looks quite nice, thanks. ill look into housing once i decide on a school :o

in2win

Postby in2win » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:14 pm

smhaaty wrote:I'm looking at apartments online and I'm blown away by how cheap it is! Fully furnished 1 bedroom apartment for $850? I can't even get an unfurnished studio apartment at that price where I live.

im pretty sure you could get cheaper than that for a 1 bedroom, but obviously you are going to be sacrificing location / quality of apartment.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:35 pm

My apartment is a 2BR with a newly renovated kitchen (not high end, but new) and an about-to-be-remodeled bathroom, fully furnished, for 775/month. I live just over a mile from the law building.

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:36 pm

blurbz wrote:My apartment is a 2BR with a newly renovated kitchen (not high end, but new) and an about-to-be-remodeled bathroom, fully furnished, for 775/month. I live just over a mile from the law building.

This is why I miss college towns so very very much

ashen

Postby ashen » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:28 pm

Waitlisted but thought I'd offer some insight on housing for those of you who are looking.

I lived at 309 Green for two years. Paid about 750 a month. Fully furnished with really nice furniture and appliances, great view (especially out on the balcony), and is in walking distance to anywhere on campus. Loved living there but can get rowdy over the weekends. Expect to hold your breath in the elevator if you don't find the smell of beer and puke to be agreeable. And speaking of elevators, with only two elevators servicing 24 floors, I ended up having to leave around fifteen minutes early any time I had to be anywhere.

Had some friends live at 310 Burnham and it seemed a lot more quiet and relaxing. I think they ended paying about 650 per month. Having a supermarket downstairs is always a plus. Also, they're constantly offering deals since they don't usually fill up very quickly. Will probably sign here if I end up getting off this WL!

If these two options don't click with you guys there are tons of cheaper apartments near campus that can be found south of Wright Street near Green Street but your mileage will vary here, just make sure to avoid the apartments managed by CPM and you should be okay.

If you have a car, living near Downtown Champaign or near Lincoln Ave. in Urbana isn't a bad choice either.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”