UIUC 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
naw

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby naw » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:31 am

mattviphky wrote:sigh. UIUC has LRAP. If you are making like 40k at a non profit, you only gotta pay back like 2k a year for a max of 6 years.

Yeah, your post a page back explaining it was actually really helpful. I didn't check out the details for myself yet, but I've been meaning to explore LRAP details from school to school.

foxylaxy

Postby foxylaxy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:27 pm

tooswolle wrote:
givemea170 wrote:You haven't taken your LSAT yet? Or am I misreading?

Misreading dude, I missed my practice score by 7 points. All attributable to test day anxiety I suppose. Hence my comment about deferring and retaking if I can't get more aid.

Givemea170, I'll also have to say take UIUC. Not only is it higher ranked, you have the Illinois Guarantee.
Speaking as an LUC UG alum, I have to say tuition increased a few thousand EVERY semester.
I also had a scholarship as an incoming freshman there and it did NOT increase proportionate to the cost of attendance.
And I was constantly frustrated with how the administration would spend money. There's a field on campus that has been changed every year I lived there. Why landscape it then make it a flat field again?
Tax, living etc. all higher in the city. You can live comfortably for $300-$400 rent at UIUC, but you will need double that (with roommates) to live in the city.

Tooswole, I would go ahead and retest. I also took a retest. My first LSAT of 164 was actually lower than any of my practice tests. (I'm attributing it to lack of sleep, bad planning by sleeping next to the el, and nerves). My retest went up to 171 points. Even then, I was nervous from not being able to complete the first section, which, thankfully, was the experimental. My advisor basically told me, "maybe you can get into UIUC" with my first score, and later, "you should definitely apply to Chicago and NU." This same advisor told me I was unlikely to improve my score. I say if you know you can do better, really go for it and retest. What's another year of waiting compared to better admissions and scholarship chances in the future?

For everyone else, I've officially withdrawn my offer from UIUC. I just received the confirmation from the Interim Director. I had a quarter (in-state) scholarship, so hopefully some of you can use that. Good luck!

in2win

Postby in2win » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:54 pm

stilll on hold. no clue what the decision is going to be. please no waitlist though

EMAW12

Postby EMAW12 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:00 pm

in2win wrote:stilll on hold. no clue what the decision is going to be. please no waitlist though

I'm with you. Looking at UIUC's LSN graph has me as the lone 164 with a >3.3 gpa to be deferred. What gives, UIUC? I'm a great guy.

:(

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:04 pm

EMAW12 wrote:
in2win wrote:stilll on hold. no clue what the decision is going to be. please no waitlist though

I'm with you. Looking at UIUC's LSN graph has me as the lone 164 with a >3.3 gpa to be deferred. What gives, UIUC? I'm a great guy.

hmmm...definitely send an LOCI.

Gail

Postby Gail » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:12 pm

mattviphky wrote:sigh. UIUC has LRAP. If you are making like 40k at a non profit, you only gotta pay back like 2k a year for a max of 6 years.

40K in the city of Chicago is going to put you in K-town type living standards though.

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:14 pm

Gail wrote:

40K in the city of Chicago is going to put you in K-town type living standards though.

I mean, it’s expensive here and all, but if you are single/don’t have kids you can still live in a nice Goldcoast 1 BR comfortably for 38K/year pre-tax.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:18 pm

STLMizzou wrote:
Gail wrote:

I mean, it’s expensive here and all, but if you are single/don’t have kids you can still live in a nice Goldcoast 1 BR comfortably for 38K/year pre-tax.

It's unwise to spend a third of your income on housing.

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:44 pm

Opie wrote:It's unwise to spend a third of your income on housing.

True, I am looking at this through the rose tinted glasses of somebody not saving for things like retirement and such.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:52 pm

STLMizzou wrote:
Opie wrote:It's unwise to spend a third of your income on housing.

True, I am looking at this through the rose tinted glasses of somebody not saving for things like retirement and such.

Here's my thinking..

Gold Coast Apartment (small): $1000
Electricity: $100
Transportation: $100
Food for home: $200
Food for not at home: $250
Insurance (I can't help myself, I'm an agent): $200
Phone, internet, etc.: $200
Student Loans: $1200

That's $3250, which is $39,000 a year. I'm probably not even getting everything. Plus you need to save some money, vacations and entertainment are nice occasionally, etc.

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:57 pm

Eh, you can find a Goldcoast 1BR with all utilities+cable/internet included for around 1,200 a month. But yes, I agree you would have to live frugally on such a salary, but that is what comes with getting up to 200,000K in debt only costing you what? 12k over 6 years?

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:59 pm

STLMizzou wrote:Eh, you can find a Goldcoast 1BR with all utilities+cable/internet included for around 1,200 a month. But yes, I agree you would have to live frugally on such a salary, but that is what comes with getting up to 200,000K in debt only costing you what? 12k over 6 years?

I see your point. It can be done. $45k and you might not actually hate life. :mrgreen:

EMAW12

Postby EMAW12 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:00 pm

mattviphky wrote:
EMAW12 wrote:

hmmm...definitely send an LOCI.

I added another academic LOR that just got processed by LSAC today, is it still wise to send a LOCI?

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Gail wrote:

Yeah, but the guy is going into public interest, regardless. It would probably be better for him to use LRAP from UIUC and pay like 12k total for all his debt, as opposed to having a lot of debt from Kent and not having LRAP. Plus, if he changes his mind and decides to do something else, UIUC will be able to out place Kent for Biglaw, or whatevs. I'm not arguing that you will be able to make it rain in Chicago on 40k, but it would be a lot better to be making 40k and have very little debt.

Gail

Postby Gail » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:08 pm

Didn't see that he was going into public interest to begin with.

I typically think that this means he isn't motivated by living standards either. So slumming it probably isn't that big of a deal for him.

I'm not really motivated by high salary either. I want something that interests me. Hopefully the economy shifts back into gear and governments lift their hiring freezes. That's my ideal.

naw

Postby naw » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:15 pm

mattviphky wrote:
Gail wrote:

Yeah, but the guy is going into public interest, regardless. It would probably be better for him to use LRAP from UIUC and pay like 12k total for all his debt, as opposed to having a lot of debt from Kent and not having LRAP. Plus, if he changes his mind and decides to do something else, UIUC will be able to out place Kent for Biglaw, or whatevs. I'm not arguing that you will be able to make it rain in Chicago on 40k, but it would be a lot better to be making 40k and have very little debt.

Hi.

Yeah I just read that Kent's LRAP has a $80,000 debt floor, so yeah, I wouldn't qualify at all unless I'm drastically misunderstanding Chicago's CoL.

Good chat, folks. Looking like UIUC vs. UC Davis vs. Retake at this point. I really need to figure out a way to afford a visit to Illinois. Their ASW stipends were a little lackluster. I've still got some love for L&C and CU Boulder in the mix too, but you know...

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:24 pm

naw wrote:
mattviphky wrote:
Gail wrote:

Hi.

Yeah I just read that Kent's LRAP has a $80,000 debt floor, so yeah, I wouldn't qualify at all unless I'm drastically misunderstanding Chicago's CoL.

Good chat, folks. Looking like UIUC vs. UC Davis vs. Retake at this point. I really need to figure out a way to afford a visit to Illinois. Their ASW stipends were a little lackluster. I've still got some love for L&C and CU Boulder in the mix too, but you know...

L&C is the most beautiful campus in the country IMHO.

northside

Postby northside » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:43 am

Two things:
1. Why in the world would you waste $ living in the gold coast. Go a mile north to Wrigley or west to West Town/Wicker Park and your rent is cut in half and your bars (and people) are twice as nice.

Second thing:
I really really really want to attend UIUC but have been unable to visit. To make it more complicated IU-B threw a full ride at me and now I don't know what to do. Everyone tells me to take the 0 debt but my heart is in Chicago, I have connections here, they have programs and clinics that are more my taste, and I'm terrified of living in Indiana for the rest of my life.

So to get to the question:

Should I visit before trying to negotiate my scholarship? I won't be able to visit until mid-March and I have to tell IU-B April 1st.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:01 pm

northside wrote:Two things:
1. Why in the world would you waste $ living in the gold coast. Go a mile north to Wrigley or west to West Town/Wicker Park and your rent is cut in half and your bars (and people) are twice as nice.

Second thing:
I really really really want to attend UIUC but have been unable to visit. To make it more complicated IU-B threw a full ride at me and now I don't know what to do. Everyone tells me to take the 0 debt but my heart is in Chicago, I have connections here, they have programs and clinics that are more my taste, and I'm terrified of living in Indiana for the rest of my life.

Should I visit before trying to negotiate my scholarship? I won't be able to visit until mid-March and I have to tell IU-B April 1st.

How much do you have from UIUC? I would think that if you gota full ride from IUB, you have big money from many other places as well. Use that as leverage for more money. Are you doing your own visit, or the ASD? I think if you visit in mid March, and then send a negotiation, you should hear back before April 1. If you don't, just deposit at both schools. I think you can do the first deposit wherever you want, but you can only pick one school to send a second deposit.

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:09 pm

northside wrote:Two things:

Second thing:

1. Because if you work in the loop (which you probably will as a lawyer) that is the difference between a 20-30 minute commute to an hour-1.5hour commute. An extra hour or 2 a day is probably pretty nice when you are working first year lawyer hours.
2. Talk to them in person when you visit. They aren’t going to negotiate much until then when they know more what their medians are going to look like anyways. Have a number in your mind of what it will take for UIUC for you to attend. Ask for more, but know what your breaking number is. I personally am going to talk to them during ASW on March 30th, and first deposit for my other choice (WashU) is due April 1st as well.

HTH

northside

Postby northside » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:12 pm

I got 50% tuition from UIUC. I do have money from other places but IU-B is the only place that is comparable to UIUC.

The rest are t2 (Depaul, Dozo, Brooklyn, et cetera)

northside

Postby northside » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:14 pm

STLMizzou wrote:
northside wrote:
1. Because if you work in the loop (which you probably will as a lawyer) that is the difference between a 20-30 minute commute to an hour-1.5hour commute. An extra hour or 2 a day is probably pretty nice when you are working first year lawyer hours.

2. Talk to them in person when you visit. They aren’t going to negotiate much until then when they know more what their medians are going to look like anyways. Have a number in your mind of what it will take for UIUC for you to attend. Ask for more, but know what your breaking number is. I personally am going to talk to them during ASW on March 30th, and first deposit for my other choice (WashU) is due April 1st as well.

HTH

I live in Lincoln Park and work in the loop. It takes me 20 minutes tops to get to my job. Unless you're walking the CTA is fine.

And thanks. I need all the advice I can get.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:20 pm

If you know for sure you want to be in Chicago I would go with Illinois. UIB's placement in Chicago is significantly worse than Illinois. What kind of work do you want to do? If you're at all leaning towards BigLaw I would rule out Indiana immediately.

northside

Postby northside » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:38 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:If you know for sure you want to be in Chicago I would go with Illinois. UIB's placement in Chicago is significantly worse than Illinois. What kind of work do you want to do? If you're at all leaning towards BigLaw I would rule out Indiana immediately.

I have absolutely 0 interest in BigLaw. Civil rights -- specifically prisoner/detainee rights. (Yes, I know what this entails. I'm a legal assistant in the field and am involved in the Inside-Out prison project.)

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:46 pm

northside wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:If you know for sure you want to be in Chicago I would go with Illinois. UIB's placement in Chicago is significantly worse than Illinois. What kind of work do you want to do? If you're at all leaning towards BigLaw I would rule out Indiana immediately.

I have absolutely 0 interest in BigLaw. Civil rights -- specifically prisoner/detainee rights. (Yes, I know what this entails. I'm a legal assistant in the field and am involved in the Inside-Out prison project.)

That makes it trickier then. I'd be more tempted to take the free ride. Good luck negotiating!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”