UIUC 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
in2win
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:40 am

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby in2win » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:01 am

burndtscorcho wrote:
in2win wrote:the lack of movement since being put on hold 1/9 has me really confused. i really have no idea where i stand at this point.

really could go either way.

anyone else still held?


Yeah, me too. I feel your pain.... hopeful for an acceptance. Have you submitted a LOCI yet?



yes

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby mattviphky » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:59 pm

bumping the facebook group. http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/391270197553442/
Anyone sent in the deposit yet? I'm not 100% on UIUC, so while the idea of depositing at like 3 schools and making a decision later sounds enticing, the $500 for a first deposit prohibits that kind of behavior. I'll probably deposit to SLU, UIUC, SMU, and SIU when the time comes. I just can't commit to a school 100% at this point. If only UIUC would send a bit more money my way...

User avatar
givemea170
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby givemea170 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:33 pm

mattviphky wrote:bumping the facebook group. http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/391270197553442/
Anyone sent in the deposit yet? I'm not 100% on UIUC, so while the idea of depositing at like 3 schools and making a decision later sounds enticing, the $500 for a first deposit prohibits that kind of behavior. I'll probably deposit to SLU, UIUC, SMU, and SIU when the time comes. I just can't commit to a school 100% at this point. If only UIUC would send a bit more money my way...


I haven't heard from 15 schools I applied to so not sending the deposit yet. I will most likely be sending it at some point unless Northwestern takes me off the hold list or I get a full ride from someone unexpectedly.

STLMizzou
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby STLMizzou » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:45 pm

I am on 1 waitlist, and waiting to hear from 2 more schools, so I am going to be holding off on my deposit for as long as possible. Definitely not until after the ASW on March 30th when I can talk to somebody in the admissions offices about my current offer and if they can raise it in any way. As it stands I will probably be putting my deposit for WashU in first because it is due first, but in the end my decision between it and Illinois will come down to which is cheaper to go to, tie or close to tie going to WashU.

I will join the FB group when I get home from work as well as checking out the group mentioned in the latest newsletter in the admitted students section.

ashen
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby ashen » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:49 pm

Anyone have any info on how the waitlist works at Illinois? Illinois is my top choice and it would be nice to have an idea of what kind of wait I'm looking at in the coming months...

Trying a JD 2012
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby Trying a JD 2012 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:58 pm

I am new here so sorry if I am asking something that has already been discussed in detail. I was placed on hold. In the email I received it said I would be reviewed again within 2 months. Here are my questions: Should I submit a LOCI now or wait until a decision comes? What could I do at this time to help with my application since it is on hold? Thank you for your help.

User avatar
tmon
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby tmon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm

Trying a JD 2012 wrote:I am new here so sorry if I am asking something that has already been discussed in detail. I was placed on hold. In the email I received it said I would be reviewed again within 2 months. Here are my questions: Should I submit a LOCI now or wait until a decision comes? What could I do at this time to help with my application since it is on hold? Thank you for your help.

I'd send one. Are you in undergrad right now? If so, you might mention that you're doing well in classes and update them on that. If you're out, you can talk about work or volunteer stuff that's keeping you busy. And of course you'd want to talk about how you're still interested in UIUC. If it's your number 1 option and you'd enroll if accepted, say it. As long as what you write is well-written and you stick to something like this I don't see how it'd hurt.

User avatar
givemea170
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby givemea170 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Trying a JD 2012 wrote:I am new here so sorry if I am asking something that has already been discussed in detail. I was placed on hold. In the email I received it said I would be reviewed again within 2 months. Here are my questions: Should I submit a LOCI now or wait until a decision comes? What could I do at this time to help with my application since it is on hold? Thank you for your help.



I stayed up all night typing an LOCI, and send it at around 10 in the morning. At noon of that day, I got an email saying I was accepted. It was probably coincidence, but that is what happened to me. Good luck!

User avatar
tmon
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby tmon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:10 pm

givemea170 wrote:
Trying a JD 2012 wrote:I am new here so sorry if I am asking something that has already been discussed in detail. I was placed on hold. In the email I received it said I would be reviewed again within 2 months. Here are my questions: Should I submit a LOCI now or wait until a decision comes? What could I do at this time to help with my application since it is on hold? Thank you for your help.



I stayed up all night typing an LOCI, and send it at around 10 in the morning. At noon of that day, I got an email saying I was accepted. It was probably coincidence, but that is what happened to me. Good luck!

Yeah, not to say it made a difference for you, but I'd say for high LSAT splitters especially, a LOCI could be particularly helpful. They may think you'll have better options and don't really want UIUC and hold/WL/whatever you for that reason.

STLMizzou
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby STLMizzou » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:13 pm

Trying a JD 2012 wrote:I am new here so sorry if I am asking something that has already been discussed in detail. I was placed on hold. In the email I received it said I would be reviewed again within 2 months. Here are my questions: Should I submit a LOCI now or wait until a decision comes? What could I do at this time to help with my application since it is on hold? Thank you for your help.


I sent a LOCI, and was also admitted later that week. I probably spent a total of a half hour on it, but I basically laid my hand on the table and said they were one of 2 schools I was intending my final decision to be among. Honestly, I don’t think the LOCI helped much if any, but it obviously didn’t hurt

dreambig
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:21 am

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby dreambig » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:45 pm

My file just updated to "In Review"....... #letsssgoooo

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby Opie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:37 pm

Sometimes I think communication with the school speeds things up more than affecting the decision. It's almost as if they go to file the LOCI and decide to just take a look while they're at it. And if they're in a position to decide at that point, then they do. I haven't sent any LOCIs as I haven't been W/Led anywhere (I think I aimed too low), but I went into review like the day after visiting a school.

User avatar
burndtscorcho
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby burndtscorcho » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:29 pm

Would you guys suggest sending a second LOCI? I was put on hold on 1/9, visited the school on 1/12, and sent a LOCI the following week. I also shot the Director of Admissions a quick email last week restating my continued interest.

It seems like so many people are being accepted off the hold list, and I am beginning to get worried... Perhaps the best move is to just keep waiting it out? I remember there being a two month review period as part of the hold email...

User avatar
givemea170
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby givemea170 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:52 pm

burndtscorcho wrote:Would you guys suggest sending a second LOCI? I was put on hold on 1/9, visited the school on 1/12, and sent a LOCI the following week. I also shot the Director of Admissions a quick email last week restating my continued interest.

It seems like so many people are being accepted off the hold list, and I am beginning to get worried... Perhaps the best move is to just keep waiting it out? I remember there being a two month review period as part of the hold email...


On the one hand, that email did request patience... but it might help you. Really up to you though.

User avatar
burndtscorcho
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby burndtscorcho » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:56 pm

givemea170 wrote:
burndtscorcho wrote:Would you guys suggest sending a second LOCI? I was put on hold on 1/9, visited the school on 1/12, and sent a LOCI the following week. I also shot the Director of Admissions a quick email last week restating my continued interest.

It seems like so many people are being accepted off the hold list, and I am beginning to get worried... Perhaps the best move is to just keep waiting it out? I remember there being a two month review period as part of the hold email...


On the one hand, that email did request patience... but it might help you. Really up to you though.


True... I think I will give it some more time. With lower numbers compared to the rest of accepted applicants, it's completely understandable that it will take a little while, especially when they need to hit their medians.

User avatar
tooswolle
Posts: 491
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:48 am

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby tooswolle » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:02 pm

Haven't made my deposit yet as I have a few choices left to consider. If UIUC boosts my scholarship it's going to have that deposit within 24hrs.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby mattviphky » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:52 pm

tooswolle wrote:Haven't made my deposit yet as I have a few choices left to consider. If UIUC boosts my scholarship it's going to have that deposit within 24hrs.


preach

bigben5289
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby bigben5289 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:27 am

Current 1L here.

Does anybody have any questions?

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby mattviphky » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:35 am

how are classes/peers? Also, what is your take on the LRAP program. What do you have lined up for the summer? Thanks for taking questions!

bigben5289
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby bigben5289 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:25 am

mattviphky wrote:how are classes/peers? Also, what is your take on the LRAP program. What do you have lined up for the summer? Thanks for taking questions!


No problem. If you have other any question feel free to ask. What schools are you deciding between?

Just a quick FYI. Do not deposit at multiple schools. Some schools REALLY do not like that and some schools will REVOKE your offer. LSAC notifies schools if people sent multiple deposits in.

Last semester I took contracts, property and crim law. This semester I am taking torts, con law and civ pro. What specifically about classes do you want to know?

Peers are friendly midwestern people lol. In my section, there are some gunners but they kinda shut up this semester lol. What about my peers would you like to know?

I do not know much about the LRAP program as I plan on working in the private sector upon graduation but I have a few friends that want to work in the public sector so if you want I can ask them.

I am still waiting to hear back from a lot of the places that I applied too. I had an interview with a circuit court judge here in Champaign last week.

janoobee
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:09 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby janoobee » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:53 am

Big ben I have some questions.

Is the school any help as far as getting 1L summer opportunities are concerned or do you mostly do that on your own?

Do you know if they are flexible in regards to negotiating scholarships?

Hows the quality of life, do most people live next to campus and is it convenient/enjoyable?


Its understandable if you don't have an opinion concerning any of the above, thanks for taking questions.

User avatar
givemea170
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby givemea170 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:33 am

bigben5289 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:how are classes/peers? Also, what is your take on the LRAP program. What do you have lined up for the summer? Thanks for taking questions!


No problem. If you have other any question feel free to ask. What schools are you deciding between?

Just a quick FYI. Do not deposit at multiple schools. Some schools REALLY do not like that and some schools will REVOKE your offer. LSAC notifies schools if people sent multiple deposits in.

Last semester I took contracts, property and crim law. This semester I am taking torts, con law and civ pro. What specifically about classes do you want to know?

Peers are friendly midwestern people lol. In my section, there are some gunners but they kinda shut up this semester lol. What about my peers would you like to know?

I do not know much about the LRAP program as I plan on working in the private sector upon graduation but I have a few friends that want to work in the public sector so if you want I can ask them.

I am still waiting to hear back from a lot of the places that I applied too. I had an interview with a circuit court judge here in Champaign last week.



How would LSAC know that you deposited to multiple schools if you deposit directly to the school's website? Just curious, I haven't done it yet but I had considered it if I still can't make up my mind by April.

User avatar
tmon
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby tmon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:35 am

givemea170 wrote:How would LSAC know that you deposited to multiple schools if you deposit directly to the school's website? Just curious, I haven't done it yet but I had considered it if I still can't make up my mind by April.

I don't know the exact mechanism, but they definitely know. Most likely, schools report to LSAC which applicants sent in a deposit and they match people by LSAC#. IIRC there are two reports, one earlier one that doesn't actually name people, and one later on that names names and schools.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby Ludo! » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:10 am

At a certain point a list goes out. I'm sure adcomms understand it's a part of the game. I've never ever heard of anyone getting an acceptance rescinded because they have multiple deposits in. (Unless one of the acceptances is ED or something). If this kind of thing happens, it doesn't happen at Illinois

bigben5289
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby bigben5289 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:37 am

janoobee wrote:Big ben I have some questions.

Is the school any help as far as getting 1L summer opportunities are concerned or do you mostly do that on your own?

Do you know if they are flexible in regards to negotiating scholarships?

Hows the quality of life, do most people live next to campus and is it convenient/enjoyable?


Its understandable if you don't have an opinion concerning any of the above, thanks for taking questions.


To answer your first question, it is a little bit of both. The Career Services Office has lectures throughout the semester explaining how to write a good resume/cover letter and you can send it to your advisor to correct. You can also go to the office and do mock interviews which I did which was helpful. At the same time Career Services is not going to hand all the 1Ls jobs, you need to do most of the work on your own. Like most other schools, all students have a symplicity account.

It depends on where your other offers are from. They will only be flexible if the other offer is from a peer school. Where are your other offer?

Quality of life is great if you like living in a college town. If you went to a school that is in a city then going here will be a "shock." I went to the University of Florida in Gainesville for undergrad so I am used to and like living in a college town. The University runs the town. Campus shuts down on home games in the fall. I live in Savoy which is about a 10-15 min drive. I park in a commuter lot and take a bus to the law school. A lot of the law students/grad students live in Savoy and they all seem to like it including myself. A few of my friends live right on campus and they like it but it has some drawbacks. My one friends lives next to the fraternity houses so it can get loud on the weekends.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative, hammy393, lazarzhr, Long shot hero, luckydayahead, okf731, taxman14 and 19 guests