UIUC 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mattviphky

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby mattviphky » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:01 pm

Wart wrote:Make sure you consider tuition increases in your decision. Illinois (at least for the most recent 1L class) has locked in tuition for 3 years. I'm not sure if WUSTL does this as well, but make sure you know if they do or not, otherwise tuition your 3L year could end up being 5G more than what you thought it would be.

Also UIUC has easy scholly stips.

yep

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:15 pm

Has anyone heard back from their scholarship emails? I really hope Illinois ups mine to match Iowa; I have really enjoyed what I have learned from the school and I don't want my Illinois or Iowa decision to come down to tuition, especially if Illinois ends up dropping a couple ranks and is tied, or within a spot either way of Iowa after next month's USNWR rankings.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:19 pm

DportIA wrote:Has anyone heard back from their scholarship emails? I really hope Illinois ups mine to match Iowa; I have really enjoyed what I have learned from the school and I don't want my Illinois or Iowa decision to come down to tuition, especially if Illinois ends up dropping a couple ranks and is tied, or within a spot either way of Iowa after next month's USNWR rankings.

I wouldn't be shocked if UIUC waits until the rankings come out to make these kinds of decisions.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:38 pm

I e-mailed them last Tuesday to see if i could be considered for a scholarship increase, and I just read their reply. They said that at this time they cannot award any scholarship increases. I don't know what this means. I hope they really mean "at this time", and will actually be open for negotiations come April timeframe when both the USNWR comes out and when deposits are due. But if it was just a nice way of saying that they won't increase money at all, I probably won't be able to go. I only got 5k/year, and with my small amount of personal savings and family contribution, I won't be able to put much of a dent in the large COA. I would love to go, I just can't afford it. SMU or SLU might be better (cheaper) options for me. I'm not going to withdraw right now or anything, but I will ask again in March/April. But this all depends on what they say when the time comes. :(

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:50 pm

mattviphky wrote:I e-mailed them last Tuesday to see if i could be considered for a scholarship increase, and I just read their reply. They said that at this time they cannot award any scholarship increases. I don't know what this means. I hope they really mean "at this time", and will actually be open for negotiations come April timeframe when both the USNWR comes out and when deposits are due. But if it was just a nice way of saying that they won't increase money at all, I probably won't be able to go. I only got 5k/year, and with my small amount of personal savings and family contribution, I won't be able to put much of a dent in the large COA. I would love to go, I just can't afford it. SMU or SLU might be better (cheaper) options for me. I'm not going to withdraw right now or anything, but I will ask again in March/April. But this all depends on what they say when the time comes. :(

Obviously its a very personal decision and a lot depends on where you want to live and what kind of work you want to do, but I would take Illinois with 5K plus instate tuition over SMU any day. Are you that debt averse?

punkyg0608

Postby punkyg0608 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:55 pm

mattviphky wrote:I e-mailed them last Tuesday to see if i could be considered for a scholarship increase, and I just read their reply. They said that at this time they cannot award any scholarship increases. I don't know what this means. I hope they really mean "at this time", and will actually be open for negotiations come April timeframe when both the USNWR comes out and when deposits are due. But if it was just a nice way of saying that they won't increase money at all, I probably won't be able to go. I only got 5k/year, and with my small amount of personal savings and family contribution, I won't be able to put much of a dent in the large COA. I would love to go, I just can't afford it. SMU or SLU might be better (cheaper) options for me. I'm not going to withdraw right now or anything, but I will ask again in March/April. But this all depends on what they say when the time comes. :(

Damn, I'm very sorry to hear that! I was really hopeful that UIUC would be willing to negotiate this year.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:02 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:

Obviously its a very personal decision and a lot depends on where you want to live and what kind of work you want to do, but I would take Illinois with 5K plus instate tuition over SMU any day. Are you that debt averse?

I'm somewhat considering SMU, but I'm not sure that I would really want to go, because I would like to stay in Illinois. However, Texas is a nice state with a great job climate (and weather, for that matter). Plus, they did offer me 78k. But I would probably go to SLU before I went to SMU. SLU would allow me to stay local-ish, and graduate with far less debt than UIUC, which yes, is very important to me. I also like St. Louis, and wouldn't mind being there. That being said, I would love to go Illinois, as it gives graduates the opportunity to find work all around the region. But I am debt-averse, the job market is bad, and the other scholarship offers are really tempting. It doesn't feel good, knowing that you can get into a school, but that you can't afford to go. I would love to go to Illinois, but...I can't afford it.

Gail

Postby Gail » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:58 pm

Still waiting. Thought they'd get back to me about the hold by after a month. Wonder if I'll just be in the reject pool. But this has been a really bizarre cycle, so IDK.

And I think that Mattviphky's decision is really too close to call and I'd lean more to SMU if I were in his position. Especially if you still have UG debt, it might be a wise idea to minimize how much you're paying.

Then again, you can also consider that you'd probably be able to live at home during 1L summer and do something legal round there. That would minimize one year's debt load off the bat. Plus moving to Central Illinois is a hell of a lot easier than moving to Dallas.

btw384

Postby btw384 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:09 pm

mattviphky wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:

I'm somewhat considering SMU, but I'm not sure that I would really want to go, because I would like to stay in Illinois. However, Texas is a nice state with a great job climate (and weather, for that matter). Plus, they did offer me 78k. But I would probably go to SLU before I went to SMU. SLU would allow me to stay local-ish, and graduate with far less debt than UIUC, which yes, is very important to me. I also like St. Louis, and wouldn't mind being there. That being said, I would love to go Illinois, as it gives graduates the opportunity to find work all around the region. But I am debt-averse, the job market is bad, and the other scholarship offers are really tempting. It doesn't feel good, knowing that you can get into a school, but that you can't afford to go. I would love to go to Illinois, but...I can't afford it.

I am sorry to hear that, and I have a feeling that I may soon be in a similar position.

Just to let you know, I've done some number crunching for my own schools, and SMU with the $78k scholly still comes to around $130K (COA at SMU is $70k a year for full-time, out of state). Illinois w/ $5k a year and in-state tuition is more than that, but not by much (around $150k, only $20k more). Obviously $20k is a lot of money, but the schools are more comparable than you may think.

Nonetheless, I know it is a big decision. I wish you the best.

tmon

Postby tmon » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:52 pm

btw384 wrote:
mattviphky wrote: I'm somewhat considering SMU, but I'm not sure that I would really want to go, because I would like to stay in Illinois. However, Texas is a nice state with a great job climate (and weather, for that matter). Plus, they did offer me 78k. But I would probably go to SLU before I went to SMU. SLU would allow me to stay local-ish, and graduate with far less debt than UIUC, which yes, is very important to me. I also like St. Louis, and wouldn't mind being there. That being said, I would love to go Illinois, as it gives graduates the opportunity to find work all around the region. But I am debt-averse, the job market is bad, and the other scholarship offers are really tempting. It doesn't feel good, knowing that you can get into a school, but that you can't afford to go. I would love to go to Illinois, but...I can't afford it.

I am sorry to hear that, and I have a feeling that I may soon be in a similar position.

Just to let you know, I've done some number crunching for my own schools, and SMU with the $78k scholly still comes to around $130K (COA at SMU is $70k a year for full-time, out of state). Illinois w/ $5k a year and in-state tuition is more than that, but not by much (around $150k, only $20k more). Obviously $20k is a lot of money, but the schools are more comparable than you may think.

I wouldn't be shocked if UIUC doesn't consider SMU a peer school. Even if they do drop in the rankings, they may not drop that much, and I wouldn't be surprised if for scholarships they considered themselves in the same area as the 2011 rankings regardless.
Also, a lot of schools don't negotiate this early. I was doing some research on people negotiating with WUSTL, for instance, and came came across some posts from last year that said they wouldn't negotiate until around mid-March.

btw384

Postby btw384 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:58 pm

tmon wrote:
btw384 wrote:
mattviphky wrote: I'm somewhat considering SMU, but I'm not sure that I would really want to go, because I would like to stay in Illinois. However, Texas is a nice state with a great job climate (and weather, for that matter). Plus, they did offer me 78k. But I would probably go to SLU before I went to SMU. SLU would allow me to stay local-ish, and graduate with far less debt than UIUC, which yes, is very important to me. I also like St. Louis, and wouldn't mind being there. That being said, I would love to go Illinois, as it gives graduates the opportunity to find work all around the region. But I am debt-averse, the job market is bad, and the other scholarship offers are really tempting. It doesn't feel good, knowing that you can get into a school, but that you can't afford to go. I would love to go to Illinois, but...I can't afford it.

I wouldn't be shocked if UIUC doesn't consider SMU a peer school. Even if they do drop in the rankings, they may not drop that much, and I wouldn't be surprised if for scholarships they considered themselves in the same area as the 2011 rankings regardless.
Also, a lot of schools don't negotiate this early. I was doing some research on people negotiating with WUSTL, for instance, and came came across some posts from last year that said they wouldn't negotiate until around mid-March.

I wasn't very clear now that I look back at it, but I meant that the cost of the two schools is comparable. I don't think they are peer schools either.

tmon

Postby tmon » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:01 pm

btw384 wrote:I wasn't very clear now that I look back at it, but I meant that the cost of the two schools is comparable. I don't think they are peer schools either.

Yeah, I was mostly just trying to add to the overall conversation here, not really taking issue with anything you'd said. :)

btw384

Postby btw384 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:31 pm

tmon wrote:
btw384 wrote:I wasn't very clear now that I look back at it, but I meant that the cost of the two schools is comparable. I don't think they are peer schools either.

Yeah, I was mostly just trying to add to the overall conversation here, not really taking issue with anything you'd said. :)

Ah, gotcha! My bad. :)

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:53 pm

Yeah, I've been doing the math on the schools twice a day, every day, for about the last week. One of the issues with the SMU COA, is that it is calculated pretty generously. Like 20k a year for living expenses. That is pretty high. I guess if you lived in a really nice 1 bd. and ate relatively well, it might come out to be that high. However, looking on craigslist at people wanting to rent out rooms in their homes, or even leasing a shared 2-3 bedroom apt, the price drops down considerably. Plus, I've heard that the job market in Texas is doing pretty well, relative to the midwest. Also, I have no UG debt (national guard). IDK, I'm just keeping everything in perspective. Like I said before, if I didn't go to UIUC, SLU would probably be my next choice. I like St. Louis, the proximity to my hometown, and the idea of graduating with far less debt than I would have at any other school. Illinois is still a big contender, however, and my number one choice. I would really like to go there, but the closer I get to actually matriculating, the more scared I get about all that debt in a bad economy. As I said before, 50% and I would be there so damn fast. I even saw that someone got 15k a year, and that would be awesome as well. I've seen a lot of people who are around my numbers, and just over one median get the 25% a year, so I'm surprised that I wasn't offered that. It's not a big deal, though. I'll just wait a while, do my FAFSA, and ask again sometime in March. It would just be nice to know now; I would love to be in Champaign this fall.

Gail

Postby Gail » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:58 pm

No undergrad debt?

My vote has kind of switched to UIUC now. I think you should go there! :mrgreen:

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:54 pm

mattviphky wrote:Yeah, I've been doing the math on the schools twice a day, every day, for about the last week. One of the issues with the SMU COA, is that it is calculated pretty generously. Like 20k a year for living expenses. That is pretty high. I guess if you lived in a really nice 1 bd. and ate relatively well, it might come out to be that high. However, looking on craigslist at people wanting to rent out rooms in their homes, or even leasing a shared 2-3 bedroom apt, the price drops down considerably. Plus, I've heard that the job market in Texas is doing pretty well, relative to the midwest. Also, I have no UG debt (national guard). IDK, I'm just keeping everything in perspective. Like I said before, if I didn't go to UIUC, SLU would probably be my next choice. I like St. Louis, the proximity to my hometown, and the idea of graduating with far less debt than I would have at any other school. Illinois is still a big contender, however, and my number one choice. I would really like to go there, but the closer I get to actually matriculating, the more scared I get about all that debt in a bad economy. As I said before, 50% and I would be there so damn fast. I even saw that someone got 15k a year, and that would be awesome as well. I've seen a lot of people who are around my numbers, and just over one median get the 25% a year, so I'm surprised that I wasn't offered that. It's not a big deal, though. I'll just wait a while, do my FAFSA, and ask again sometime in March. It would just be nice to know now; I would love to be in Champaign this fall.

Given the COA proximity UIUC takes it. Also your 5K plus instate places you at the same cost as an out of state with 25% tuition if my numbers are correct. That being said law school transperancy places UIUC in the top 25 schools for big law placement at 20% of the class. That being said its also the best public in the state. I'm seriously considering going but just like you it scares the crap out me to take on that debt.

hoosierball

Postby hoosierball » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:12 pm

mattviphky wrote:Yeah, I've been doing the math on the schools twice a day, every day, for about the last week. One of the issues with the SMU COA, is that it is calculated pretty generously. Like 20k a year for living expenses. That is pretty high. I guess if you lived in a really nice 1 bd. and ate relatively well, it might come out to be that high. However, looking on craigslist at people wanting to rent out rooms in their homes, or even leasing a shared 2-3 bedroom apt, the price drops down considerably. Plus, I've heard that the job market in Texas is doing pretty well, relative to the midwest. Also, I have no UG debt (national guard). IDK, I'm just keeping everything in perspective. Like I said before, if I didn't go to UIUC, SLU would probably be my next choice. I like St. Louis, the proximity to my hometown, and the idea of graduating with far less debt than I would have at any other school. Illinois is still a big contender, however, and my number one choice. I would really like to go there, but the closer I get to actually matriculating, the more scared I get about all that debt in a bad economy. As I said before, 50% and I would be there so damn fast. I even saw that someone got 15k a year, and that would be awesome as well. I've seen a lot of people who are around my numbers, and just over one median get the 25% a year, so I'm surprised that I wasn't offered that. It's not a big deal, though. I'll just wait a while, do my FAFSA, and ask again sometime in March. It would just be nice to know now; I would love to be in Champaign this fall.

SMU cheaper, graduate, make connections, live w/o more debt, SMU is the way to go

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:58 pm

tooswolle wrote:

Given the COA proximity UIUC takes it. Also your 5K plus instate places you at the same cost as an out of state with 25% tuition if my numbers are correct. That being said law school transperancy places UIUC in the top 25 schools for big law placement at 20% of the class. That being said its also the best public in the state. I'm seriously considering going but just like you it scares the crap out me to take on that debt.

thanks for the input! However, UIUC gives 25% tuition scholarships to both out and in. in gets like 9k a year, while out gets 11k. Everyone gets 25% taken off tuition.

illini22

Postby illini22 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:16 pm

For those outside of Illinois, you should take into consideration how we place in the market that you are interested in. Also, a lot of people come in saying that they 100% want to go to X state, and then get a much better job somewhere else or change their mind for other reasons. So you may want to go to FL now, but are you sure that is going to be your position in 4 years? You may have a significant other now there, but must law school relationships dont last long.
After Illinois, we place "decent" in TX, NYC and Cali. There is also a very conscious effort with the new career service to place students outside of Chicago. The idea being that we kind of have a guarantee number of students in that market, and it will be hard for us to take market share from UC and NU, but there are other markets such as those in TX, Cali, and NYC where we have alum and dont place as many people. Since TX is actually hiring more than other markets (relative to the number of firms) there is a big push for that market. If someone here is interested there, you could contact the lone star club here, which is pretty much devoted to networking/getting jobs in texas. They did a firm visit over the winter break in Houston, and will be doing another one in Mar. 20 in Dallas, maybe you can meet them while they are down there.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:27 pm

illini22 wrote:For those outside of Illinois, you should take into consideration how we place in the market that you are interested in. Also, a lot of people come in saying that they 100% want to go to X state, and then get a much better job somewhere else or change their mind for other reasons. So you may want to go to FL now, but are you sure that is going to be your position in 4 years? You may have a significant other now there, but must law school relationships dont last long.
After Illinois, we place "decent" in TX, NYC and Cali. There is also a very conscious effort with the new career service to place students outside of Chicago. The idea being that we kind of have a guarantee number of students in that market, and it will be hard for us to take market share from UC and NU, but there are other markets such as those in TX, Cali, and NYC where we have alum and dont place as many people. Since TX is actually hiring more than other markets (relative to the number of firms) there is a big push for that market. If someone here is interested there, you could contact the lone star club here, which is pretty much devoted to networking/getting jobs in texas. They did a firm visit over the winter break in Houston, and will be doing another one in Mar. 20 in Dallas, maybe you can meet them while they are down there.

Thanks for the insight I'm strongly considering UIUC as I have little UG debt. Can you expand more on the way the school is trying to expand its presence in CA? Also how would you rate placement in non big law jobs?
Last edited by tooswolle on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mooseman2216

Postby mooseman2216 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:29 pm

illini22 wrote:For those outside of Illinois, you should take into consideration how we place in the market that you are interested in. Also, a lot of people come in saying that they 100% want to go to X state, and then get a much better job somewhere else or change their mind for other reasons. So you may want to go to FL now, but are you sure that is going to be your position in 4 years? You may have a significant other now there, but must law school relationships dont last long.

im from dallas and trying to decide between SMU and UIUC... this is relevant to my interests. thank you very much for the insight!

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:15 pm

tooswolle wrote:

Thanks for the insight I'm strongly considering UIUC as I have little UG debt. Can you expand more on the way the school is trying to expand it's presence in CA? Also how would you rate placement in non big law jobs?

I'm sure you will get an optimistic answer from illini22, but if you want the perspective of somebody from California - the school's placement in CA is pathetic. (This is coming only from the perspective of BigLaw, I don't know anything about applying for other kinds of jobs).

First of all the OCS at Illinois is terrible. Not any worse than most other schools, career services seem to be pretty useless in general, but it's still terrible. Maybe they are doing more now but when it came to helping 2ls for OCI last summer they didn't do shit. Mostly they just gave no information at all, but sometimes they would actually send out bad advice. (They told males to wear black suits to interviews :shock: . See the conversation from the 2ls last summer in the Illinois 1l Taking Questions thread for more).

As far as CA - there was a total of ONE CA firm at OCI. The school co-sponsored a "Southern California Interview Program" that only had five employers interviewing (and only two firms) and no one from Illinois got hired from it. They sent out an email claiming they were doing a resume collect for California. They had everybody send in resumes and then said that at a later date they would give us a list of firms that they would send the resumes to. They never sent out the list and they never even mentioned it again. As far as I know they never sent the resumes out to anyone. (Although by the time they did this it was so late in the hiring season that anyone who wanted to work in CA had already applied to every possible firm on NALP anyway, so the whole thing was pretty pointless).

Apparently there are people who got jobs in CA, but I don't know who they are or what kind of jobs they got. I don't know a single 2l with a BigLaw SA lined up in CA. I know a person in the top 5% from LA who couldn't get a job there. If there is anyone with an SA in California they either got it from the one OCI firm or they got it on their own through mass mailing and got lucky. With unlimited time to search for a job, I'm sure people would have better luck getting a job in CA. But the way BigLaw hiring works, once you get an offer the clock starts ticking and you can't keep applying forever.

That said, I love it at Illinois and if you want BigLaw in Chicago then I think Illinois is the best chance outside of the T-14 for sure. But if you come here, be realistic about our placement. It's a regional school. If you're looking to work outside the state you are going to need to put in a lot of work and get lucky. If you don't plan on working in Illinois after graduation, or are not OK with the idea of possibly giving up an offer for BigLaw in Chicago to keep trying to get something in your desired market, then this isn't the right school for you.

illini22

Postby illini22 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:55 am

I never said we had great or even good placement in CA. but I do know people with SA jobs there. Also the CA market is horrible to begin with. The state is broke and there are a lot of law schools there. My friend who is top 10% at davis couldnt get a job there.

Cali I dont know much about what are they doing to recruit there besides the fact that the career service dean is making a few trips there. There are actually a few managing partners at major law firms there from U of I, so I know they are hitting those people up.

And of course what I say is looking at things through my eyes. I was not top of the class/not law review or anything and I had GREAT OCI experience, tons of callbacks and a vault offer. This was not the case with everyone of course. I think there is a breakdown somewhere on the website of placement by geographic location. Also, If you want a job outside of Chicago, you cannot rely simply on OCI. Shit, even if you want a job in Chicago unless you are top 15%. Think about it, OCI is the same 20-30 people with all the interviews. Most if not all are law review/top 15%. The same people ended up with every damn callback, so even if you have the grades, when compared to the same school, same grades, and better interviewing skills, some people just get 10+ callbacks and others ger 2-3 or nothing...

That is why regardless where you go you do your own work outside of OCI. The poster above is right, U of I is by no means a national law school. But if you do your work, you can go to your desired market. For instance, I know that three people ended up at the same NYC vault 50 firm. And Im pretty sure that firm was not at OCI.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:52 am

illini22 wrote:I never said we had great or even good placement in CA. but I do know people with SA jobs there. Also the CA market is horrible to begin with. The state is broke and there are a lot of law schools there. My friend who is top 10% at davis couldnt get a job there.

Cali I dont know much about what are they doing to recruit there besides the fact that the career service dean is making a few trips there. There are actually a few managing partners at major law firms there from U of I, so I know they are hitting those people up.

And of course what I say is looking at things through my eyes. I was not top of the class/not law review or anything and I had GREAT OCI experience, tons of callbacks and a vault offer. This was not the case with everyone of course. I think there is a breakdown somewhere on the website of placement by geographic location. Also, If you want a job outside of Chicago, you cannot rely simply on OCI. Shit, even if you want a job in Chicago unless you are top 15%. Think about it, OCI is the same 20-30 people with all the interviews. Most if not all are law review/top 15%. The same people ended up with every damn callback, so even if you have the grades, when compared to the same school, same grades, and better interviewing skills, some people just get 10+ callbacks and others ger 2-3 or nothing...

That is why regardless where you go you do your own work outside of OCI. The poster above is right, U of I is by no means a national law school. But if you do your work, you can go to your desired market. For instance, I know that three people ended up at the same NYC vault 50 firm. And Im pretty sure that firm was not at OCI.

Is California really that much worse than Illinois? I know Illinois has a lot of problems, but since I've grown up here, I'm kinda desensitized to whole situation. Looking at Illinois, their LRAP seems generous. Does everyone who applies get the benefits?

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:15 am

After visiting other law schools, I thought that UIUC's law building was..."adequate", or "functional". It really isn't a bad building, in fact, it is objectively nice. But if you are trying to make a comparison to its midwest peers, there is no comparison. WUSTL and ND are both in castles, and many other schools have nice buildings as well. I was never that concerned with it, and I'm still not all that worried about it. But I was perusing through UIUC's website and came across this. --LinkRemoved--
I think it's interesting that they are wanting to build a new, "competitive" building. Although I know it will probably not even be built until like two years after I graduate.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”