UIUC 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fltanglab

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby fltanglab » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:02 pm

BKCentral wrote:
Opie wrote:I just got the mail and there is an awesome package in there from UIUC for me! It's a custom UIUC USB drive with a link to a site with a flipbook and some other cool resources.

Very nice marketing UIUC.

Got that too. At first glance I thought it was a zippo lighter haha. Pretty nice though, I like the idea of sending all the info in a nice little marketing tool.

I just got that too! I had NO idea who it was from because the post office covered the logo on the package and I was wondering who would send me a blue metallic package for a while.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Haven't gotten mines. I'm in CA though. UIUC is high on my radar but the scholly still leaves me with a high debt. Once I hear from the last schools I'll try negotiating. Does anybody know how big law looks like from UIUC?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:04 pm

tooswolle wrote:Haven't gotten mines. I'm in CA though. UIUC is high on my radar but the scholly still leaves me with a high debt. Once I hear from the last schools I'll try negotiating. Does anybody know how big law looks like from UIUC?

For my class (2l right now) I'd say top ten percent it's pretty much a lock for BigLaw if you want it. Can go as far down as top 25% if you have something special - significant work experience, IP, amazing interviewer etc. I definitely wouldn't advise coming here unless you would be happy with nonBigLaw work or comfortable dropping out if you're BigLaw or bust and the gamble doesn't pay off

Gail

Postby Gail » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:12 pm

tooswolle wrote:Haven't gotten mines. I'm in CA though. UIUC is high on my radar but the scholly still leaves me with a high debt. Once I hear from the last schools I'll try negotiating. Does anybody know how big law looks like from UIUC?

18ish percent for NLJ250 in 2011.

I believe that the economy is improving though, so I expect it to be a little higher for our 2L

This is not just stupid 0L optimism either, I just don't see the same boogeyman that others are seeing in Europe. I don't think that law is that different from other professional degrees and hiring will revert to a number in between the dredge of the past two years and the boom periods of early 2000's

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:19 pm

Gail wrote:

I believe that the economy is improving though, so I expect it to be a little higher for our 2L

This is not just stupid 0L optimism either, I just don't see the same boogeyman that others are seeing in Europe. I don't think that law is that different from other professional degrees and hiring will revert to a number in between the dredge of the past two years and the boom periods of early 2000's

Ludovico: big law isn't the only ambition i would be fine making a suitable income. Moreover if I ended up living in IL for the rest of my life. Ideally I would love to pay off the loans early but with IBR and public interest forgiveness there are options. What other jobs would you say are available to median students? How about the bottom of the class? How would you say diversity hiring is in IL?

Gail: I agree with your optimism. The fall in appicants, the indexes that show job creation lead one to assume that the economy is getting better. A more robust economy will allow for better job creation which will lead to opportunities. Hopefully???

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:10 am

tooswolle wrote:
Gail wrote:

Ludovico: big law isn't the only ambition i would be fine making a suitable income. Moreover if I ended up living in IL for the rest of my life. Ideally I would love to pay off the loans early but with IBR and public interest forgiveness there are options. What other jobs would you say are available to median students? How about the bottom of the class? How would you say diversity hiring is in IL?

I went the traditional biglaw path so I can't really tell you much about hiring in other kinds of law. I know people at median with jobs for the summer, but not ones that lead to permanent employment like BigLaw SAs do. I don't know very many 3ls so I don't have enough of a sample size to know how hiring is for them. Law school transparency would be just as helpful as I could be on that. As far as diversity hiring, I don't really know any URMs that got jobs that didn't also have great grades or good grades and work experience. There are diversity job fairs you can attend, so you potentially have a chance to interview for more jobs, but as far as I've seen there's no kind of hiring boost like there is for admissions.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:20 pm

I just submitted an e-mail trying to negotiate a scholarship. I got 5k/year from UIUC, and I really want to go...but the COST! Last night I was talking to my dad (where I have my mail sent due to my current status as a vagrant) and he mentioned that SMU sent me an acceptance with 78k! I can't believe that amount. I was pretty set on UIUC, and I was def going to attend if they gave me 25%...but after this huge amount SMU is a big contender. I like many aspects of TX (weather, job climate, growth, some family, etc), but I never really gave SMU much consideration because I didn't think they would give me any either, but this makes my decision difficult. I'm really hoping UIUC comes through with 50%, it wouldn't even be a contest at that point; I would be in Champaign this fall. But if I get 25% or nothing at all, this decision will be a hard one. 78k is a lot and SMU is a good school, I just hope UIUC recognizes that and tries to come close to matching that much money. I would love to stay in Illinois, I suppose this is a good problem to have. sigh.

I'm so thankful I found this site. This time last year I had a 155 LSAT, a rejection from UIUC, waitlist at SLU, and I was content to going to a school for damn near sticker. Take time to study, retake, enjoy the rewards of your labor!

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:20 pm

mattviphky wrote:I just submitted an e-mail trying to negotiate a scholarship. I got 5k/year from UIUC, and I really want to go...but the COST! Last night I was talking to my dad (where I have my mail sent due to my current status as a vagrant) and he mentioned that SMU sent me an acceptance with 78k! I can't believe that amount. I was pretty set on UIUC, and I was def going to attend if they gave me 25%...but after this huge amount SMU is a big contender. I like many aspects of TX (weather, job climate, growth, some family, etc), but I never really gave SMU much consideration because I didn't think they would give me any either, but this makes my decision difficult. I'm really hoping UIUC comes through with 50%, it wouldn't even be a contest at that point; I would be in Champaign this fall. But if I get 25% or nothing at all, this decision will be a hard one. 78k is a lot and SMU is a good school, I just hope UIUC recognizes that and tries to come close to matching that much money. I would love to stay in Illinois, I suppose this is a good problem to have. sigh.

I'm so thankful I found this site. This time last year I had a 155 LSAT, a rejection from UIUC, waitlist at SLU, and I was content to going to a school for damn near sticker. Take time to study, retake, enjoy the rewards of your labor!

Make sure if you go to SMU your ties to TX are solid. I've heard it can be pretty insular.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:27 pm

Opie wrote:
mattviphky wrote:I just submitted an e-mail trying to negotiate a scholarship. I got 5k/year from UIUC, and I really want to go...but the COST! Last night I was talking to my dad (where I have my mail sent due to my current status as a vagrant) and he mentioned that SMU sent me an acceptance with 78k! I can't believe that amount. I was pretty set on UIUC, and I was def going to attend if they gave me 25%...but after this huge amount SMU is a big contender. I like many aspects of TX (weather, job climate, growth, some family, etc), but I never really gave SMU much consideration because I didn't think they would give me any either, but this makes my decision difficult. I'm really hoping UIUC comes through with 50%, it wouldn't even be a contest at that point; I would be in Champaign this fall. But if I get 25% or nothing at all, this decision will be a hard one. 78k is a lot and SMU is a good school, I just hope UIUC recognizes that and tries to come close to matching that much money. I would love to stay in Illinois, I suppose this is a good problem to have. sigh.

Make sure if you go to SMU your ties to TX are solid. I've heard it can be pretty insular.

Yeah! I've heard that as well, and when I brought it up in the SMU thread not much was said. Well I have some ties, but they are no where near as strong as my Illinois ties. Lived here for most of my life, lots of family, state national guard, illinois politics job, friends, and connections. So I love Illinois. But another consideration would be are my ties so strong that it would be easy for me to come back to IL despite having gone to SMU? Enough so that it would justify attending SMU at a lower cost (well, hopefully not) than UIUC?

hoosierball

Postby hoosierball » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:36 pm

mattviphky wrote:
Opie wrote:

Yeah! I've heard that as well, and when I brought it up in the SMU thread not much was said. Well I have some ties, but they are no where near as strong as my Illinois ties. Lived here for most of my life, lots of family, state national guard, illinois politics job, friends, and connections. So I love Illinois. But another consideration would be are my ties so strong that it would be easy for me to come back to IL despite having gone to SMU? Enough so that it would justify attending SMU at a lower cost (well, hopefully not) than UIUC?

How can you not go with 78K, that is a minimal debt level upon graduation, you can do whatever you want and be free!

asdflawyer

Postby asdflawyer » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:44 pm

mattviphky wrote:
Opie wrote:

You should tell UIUC about your offer. I'm pretty sure they will give you 50% tuition. At the minimum they will give you 25%.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:52 pm

asdflawyer wrote:
mattviphky wrote:
Opie wrote:

You should tell UIUC about your offer. I'm pretty sure they will give you 50% tuition. At the minimum they will give you 25%.

I e-mailed them today. 50% and I would be there. Seriously, I would put down the seat/apartment deposit and be there. Oh wow if they did that. 25% and I would have to think about it a little bit harder. After all, SMU would be cheap and Dallas is cool.

asdflawyer

Postby asdflawyer » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:04 pm

Let us know how things work out. Best of luck.
Last edited by asdflawyer on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:14 pm

I know beggars can't be choosers, but I would at least like to know whether I'll be living in Champaign or Texas sooner than that! Anyways, I'm really excited how this cycle is going. I've got great options, but I really want to attend UIUC...but, you know, tuition is high and income is low.

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:13 pm

mattviphky wrote:I know beggars can't be choosers, but I would at least like to know whether I'll be living in Champaign or Texas sooner than that! Anyways, I'm really excited how this cycle is going. I've got great options, but I really want to attend UIUC...but, you know, tuition is high and income is low.

Super congrats on that SMU scholarship, guy. I'm really kicking myself in the butt now for not applying! I got the 25% scholly to UIUC. I'm from Maryland, so I'd be out of state...and I totally hear what you're saying. It's enough money to be seriously tempting (I was always interested in UIUC), but not enough to seal the deal. Gonna be a tough couple of weeks figuring this one out.

mrjohnsterman

Postby mrjohnsterman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:35 am

Finally in review. I know people have said UIUC is quick, but does quick mean, a few days or a couple of weeks?

freaknroll

Postby freaknroll » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:40 am

Do yal think I would have any luck negotiating UIUC up from their 25% offer with a 20K/year offer from W&L?

Wart

Postby Wart » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:01 pm

freaknroll wrote:Do yal think I would have any luck negotiating UIUC up from their 25% offer with a 20K/year offer from W&L?

Highly doubtful. It's all about peer schools.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:31 pm

Wart wrote:
freaknroll wrote:Do yal think I would have any luck negotiating UIUC up from their 25% offer with a 20K/year offer from W&L?

What determines a school's peers? If it's the rankings, then they probably will be peers when this year's USNWR list comes out next month. However, I don't like to buy into that garbage. Think about where you want to live. If you would enjoy VA as much as IL, then your decision is a bit harder. But to answer your original question, sure, it couldn't hurt to ask.

freaknroll

Postby freaknroll » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:34 pm

mattviphky wrote:
Wart wrote:

What determines a school's peers? If it's the rankings, then they probably will be peers when this year's USNWR list comes out next month. However, I don't like to buy into that garbage. Think about where you want to live. If you would enjoy VA as much as IL, then your decision is a bit harder. But to answer your original question, sure, it couldn't hurt to ask.

I was about to write exactly what you did. Do you think it would be foolish to bring up this point if I am denied? I realize it may be slightly offensive to them but it also is, in all likelihood, the truth.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:14 pm

No response to my scholarship negotiation e-mail so far. I hope to hear back soon because I want to start making plans for this fall. I really want to go to UIUC!

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:15 pm

btw, I better start watching basketball games. I remember when I was in high school, Illinois had a solid B-ball team, and was doing well in the NCAA tournaments

punkyg0608

Postby punkyg0608 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:33 pm

mattviphky wrote:btw, I better start watching basketball games. I remember when I was in high school, Illinois had a solid B-ball team, and was doing well in the NCAA tournaments

I agree completely, although I've followed college basketball forever. I'd just like to have my school figured out by March so I know who to cheer for!

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:14 pm

still no response about the scholarship negotiation.

btw384

Postby btw384 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:31 pm

mattviphky wrote:still no response about the scholarship negotiation.

Pure speculation, but it could be that they are looking over your negotiation request, hence the delay. That would beat getting rejected out of hand.

I'm hoping your request works, because I am in literally the exact same situation (same SMU offer, and a few others I'll tack on... unfortunately, my initial scholly from UIUC was a bit lower than yours). Good luck!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”