UIUC 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby Opie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:52 pm

punkyg0608 wrote:
Wart wrote:
Opie wrote:
northside wrote:I just got a big offer from IU Bloomington. Does anybody think I could leverage that against UIUC?


Yes. I think IUB is probably one of the most peer schools to UIUC.


Doubtful. IUB may be similar in ranking, but UIUC does not consider it a peer school, mostly because IU does not have major Chicago inroads. If you had a scholly from ND or WUSTL, that would be a different story. That being said, IU has been throwing buckets of money at students for several years now (thanks to a huge donation from an alum) and UIUC knows that it can't match their offers.


I agree with most of this, but Illinois is also facing a bit of a crisis with the number-fudging scandal, correct? I would think maybe they would be a bit more willing to pay the big bucks this year?

Either way, I would definitely mention a big IU-B scholly! If you have others use them too, but it definitely can't hurt!


This is what I was thinking. I am assuming that UIUC will not quite get the numbers they want this year and will fall significantly (27th or below) in the rankings next year.

User avatar
givemea170
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby givemea170 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:57 pm

Surprised a 171 lsat did not make it through the first cut. I hate getting held at my top choice.

So do you send in a LOCI after being held or do you wait and see what happens?

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby mattviphky » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:21 am

Visited the school yesterday, and I gotta say, I enjoyed it. Nice campus, amiable students, and personable faculty...I wish I wasn't held. sigh.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby Opie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:27 am

mattviphky wrote:Visited the school yesterday, and I gotta say, I enjoyed it. Nice campus, amiable students, and personable faculty...I wish I wasn't held. sigh.


Maybe you won't be after the visit.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby mattviphky » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:41 am

Opie wrote:
mattviphky wrote:Visited the school yesterday, and I gotta say, I enjoyed it. Nice campus, amiable students, and personable faculty...I wish I wasn't held. sigh.


Maybe you won't be after the visit.


We'll see. Part of the reason for the visit was to meet with the admissions counselor and help give my application some personality.

in2win
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:40 am

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby in2win » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:06 pm

does anybody whose been through an app cycle before think it would be a good idea to send a LOCI to UIUC after being held? If so, do you have any advice on the types of things i should say, how long, etc ...?????????

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby Opie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:16 pm

mattviphky wrote:
Opie wrote:
mattviphky wrote:Visited the school yesterday, and I gotta say, I enjoyed it. Nice campus, amiable students, and personable faculty...I wish I wasn't held. sigh.


Maybe you won't be after the visit.


We'll see. Part of the reason for the visit was to meet with the admissions counselor and help give my application some personality.


I believe this works. I got into Iowa pretty early compared to when other people with my numbers got in and I had visited like a week before it went into review.

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby Gail » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Last year's thread had Pless saying they were going to revisit the Held crowd in early February.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby mattviphky » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:03 pm

Gail wrote:Last year's thread had Pless saying they were going to revisit the Held crowd in early February.


When I spoke with admissions, i got the vibe that things are very different this year. One thing that the ad person told me was that they would not be handing out decisions until march. They also made a point of saying that try are being conservative this year with admissions. Maybe when rankings come out in march, and when people begin to commit or withdrawbydeposit deadline they will be able to make more decisions?

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby Gail » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:07 pm

mattviphky wrote:
Gail wrote:Last year's thread had Pless saying they were going to revisit the Held crowd in early February.


When I spoke with admissions, i got the vibe that things are very different this year. One thing that the ad person told me was that they would not be handing out decisions until march. They also made a point of saying that try are being conservative this year with admissions. Maybe when rankings come out in march, and when people begin to commit or withdrawbydeposit deadline they will be able to make more decisions?


Looking at the graph of LSAT/GPAs, conservative is not what I'd call their admissions process to this point. Really strange is more fitting. 169/2.94 gets you WL, yet 166/3.03 gets you in? How does that make any sense at all?


Something seems off at UIUC. I hope they know that USNEWS doesn't care about a school's collective LOR/WE/PS records

User avatar
tooswolle
Posts: 491
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:48 am

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby tooswolle » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:19 pm

Gail wrote:
mattviphky wrote:
Gail wrote:Last year's thread had Pless saying they were going to revisit the Held crowd in early February.


When I spoke with admissions, i got the vibe that things are very different this year. One thing that the ad person told me was that they would not be handing out decisions until march. They also made a point of saying that try are being conservative this year with admissions. Maybe when rankings come out in march, and when people begin to commit or withdrawbydeposit deadline they will be able to make more decisions?


Looking at the graph of LSAT/GPAs, conservative is not what I'd call their admissions process to this point. Really strange is more fitting. 169/2.94 gets you WL, yet 166/3.03 gets you in? How does that make any sense at all?


Something seems off at UIUC. I hope they know that USNEWS doesn't care about a school's collective LOR/WE/PS records


You do know that incoming student numbers accounts for a smaller percentage of rank in the USNWR? Institutional prestiege is one of the largest factors.


In other news anyone see where they are having admitted student days. Pretty big firms! Anyone going to any of them?

User avatar
Cornelius
Posts: 505
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby Cornelius » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:35 pm

Gail wrote:Looking at the graph of LSAT/GPAs, conservative is not what I'd call their admissions process to this point. Really strange is more fitting. 169/2.94 gets you WL, yet 166/3.03 gets you in? How does that make any sense at all?

Because all that matters for medians is that you're over it, not how much you're over it.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby Opie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:16 pm

Cornelius wrote:
Gail wrote:Looking at the graph of LSAT/GPAs, conservative is not what I'd call their admissions process to this point. Really strange is more fitting. 169/2.94 gets you WL, yet 166/3.03 gets you in? How does that make any sense at all?

Because all that matters for medians is that you're over it, not how much you're over it.


Bingo. That's why 4.0 theoretically is the same as .01 over 75th.

User avatar
givemea170
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby givemea170 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:16 pm

Rejected from minnesota. I dont have much hope for getting into illinois. Guess the lsat and a good why illinois cant overcome a bad gpa. Undergraduate gpa is so meaningless. Guess i should have majored in child psychology.

btw384
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby btw384 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:19 pm

givemea170 wrote:Rejected from minnesota. I dont have much hope for getting into illinois. Guess the lsat and a good why illinois cant overcome a bad gpa. Undergraduate gpa is so meaningless. Guess i should have majored in child psychology.

If it makes you feel any better, I was rejected from Minnesota and accepted at UIUC. Keep the hope alive!

User avatar
givemea170
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby givemea170 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:25 pm

btw384 wrote:
givemea170 wrote:Rejected from minnesota. I dont have much hope for getting into illinois. Guess the lsat and a good why illinois cant overcome a bad gpa. Undergraduate gpa is so meaningless. Guess i should have majored in child psychology.

If it makes you feel any better, I was rejected from Minnesota and accepted at UIUC. Keep the hope alive!


Does anyone out there know the chances of getting held and then getting accepted with a partial scholarship? Im well above one median so based on what i see i should have been accepted with 25%. Hell, my why illinois pretty much said that i would be going to illinois for sure. Fucked up they held me.

User avatar
foxylaxy
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby foxylaxy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:33 pm

givemea170 wrote:
btw384 wrote:
givemea170 wrote:Rejected from minnesota. I dont have much hope for getting into illinois. Guess the lsat and a good why illinois cant overcome a bad gpa. Undergraduate gpa is so meaningless. Guess i should have majored in child psychology.

If it makes you feel any better, I was rejected from Minnesota and accepted at UIUC. Keep the hope alive!


Does anyone out there know the chances of getting held and then getting accepted with a partial scholarship? Im well above one median so based on what i see i should have been accepted with 25%. Hell, my why illinois pretty much said that i would be going to illinois for sure. Fucked up they held me.


I'm not sure about being held.
I'm 171/3.52 and I was accepted with 25% scholarship. Not sure what your GPA is, so this may be helpful or not helpful at all :|

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby Gail » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:06 pm

Cornelius wrote:
Gail wrote:Looking at the graph of LSAT/GPAs, conservative is not what I'd call their admissions process to this point. Really strange is more fitting. 169/2.94 gets you WL, yet 166/3.03 gets you in? How does that make any sense at all?

Because all that matters for medians is that you're over it, not how much you're over it.


That doesn't consider what Illinois might be trying to do.

What if that one 169 is enough to push the median up one point past 166?

For example,

166, 166, 166, 167, 167

Now take away one 166 with the very low GPA and give the admissions to a 169 with a very low GPA.

166, 166, 167, 167, 169


New median of 166 vs 167. What do you think that Illinois prefers?


The meme that how much over the median you are doesn't matter doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

User avatar
Cornelius
Posts: 505
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby Cornelius » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:17 pm

Gail wrote:
Cornelius wrote:
Gail wrote:Looking at the graph of LSAT/GPAs, conservative is not what I'd call their admissions process to this point. Really strange is more fitting. 169/2.94 gets you WL, yet 166/3.03 gets you in? How does that make any sense at all?

Because all that matters for medians is that you're over it, not how much you're over it.


That doesn't consider what Illinois might be trying to do.

What if that one 169 is enough to push the median up one point past 166?

For example,

166, 166, 166, 167, 167

Now take away one 166 with the very low GPA and give the admissions to a 169 with a very low GPA.

166, 166, 167, 167, 169


New median of 166 vs 167. What do you think that Illinois prefers?


The meme that how much over the median you are doesn't matter doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
In your data sat you know all the members. An acceptance is an invitation to join the data set. Admissions offices do their best guess at who will attend, but when you're dealing with unknowns it's impossible to know if one person would tip the balance. Their impression of who will attend if admitted factors in as well. Finally, your data set is 5 numbers, admissions is working with somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000.

It's also not just the LSAT median they're concerned about. Lastly, schools often have GPA floors, and softs and/or other misc. items (convictions) factor in.
Last edited by Cornelius on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

confusedlaw
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby confusedlaw » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:19 pm

doesuiuc offer a travel stipend for asw?

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby Gail » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:11 am

Cornelius wrote:In your data sat you know all the members. An acceptance is an invitation to join the data set. Admissions offices do their best guess at who will attend, but when you're dealing with unknowns it's impossible to know if one person would tip the balance. Their impression of who will attend if admitted factors in as well. Finally, your data set is 5 numbers, admissions is working with somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000.

It's also not just the LSAT median they're concerned about. Lastly, schools often have GPA floors, and softs and/or other misc. items (convictions) factor in.


I'm just going to ignore YP because I think that it almost never happens.

LSN is a representation of students. Not every applicant is on LSN. That 169 is a representation, if you want to multiply by 1000, fine.


5000 members, 1000 169s, 3000 166s, push out all the 166s with low GPAs, replace them with the 169s with low GPAs. This is a simplification, obviously. I know. But its the heart of my point. 166/3.03 is a good LSAT and a low GPA. 169/2.94 is a great LSAT and a low GPA. When targeting applicants, it stands to reason that the higher LSAT, the GPA being pretty much equal, will win out. This isn't happening and it doesn't make sense.


And if they weren't just concerned about the LSAT median, they wouldn't be accepting 3.00 GPAs in the first place

User avatar
Cornelius
Posts: 505
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby Cornelius » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:52 pm

Gail wrote:
Cornelius wrote:In your data sat you know all the members. An acceptance is an invitation to join the data set. Admissions offices do their best guess at who will attend, but when you're dealing with unknowns it's impossible to know if one person would tip the balance. Their impression of who will attend if admitted factors in as well. Finally, your data set is 5 numbers, admissions is working with somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000.

It's also not just the LSAT median they're concerned about. Lastly, schools often have GPA floors, and softs and/or other misc. items (convictions) factor in.


I'm just going to ignore YP because I think that it almost never happens.

LSN is a representation of students. Not every applicant is on LSN. That 169 is a representation, if you want to multiply by 1000, fine.


5000 members, 1000 169s, 3000 166s, push out all the 166s with low GPAs, replace them with the 169s with low GPAs. This is a simplification, obviously. I know. But its the heart of my point. 166/3.03 is a good LSAT and a low GPA. 169/2.94 is a great LSAT and a low GPA. When targeting applicants, it stands to reason that the higher LSAT, the GPA being pretty much equal, will win out. This isn't happening and it doesn't make sense.


And if they weren't just concerned about the LSAT median, they wouldn't be accepting 3.00 GPAs in the first place

LOL. There are 2 medians. Do you understand how medians work?
In your data sat you know all the members. An acceptance is an invitation to join the data set. Admissions offices do their best guess at who will attend, but when you're dealing with unknowns it's impossible to know if one person would tip the balance. Their impression of who will attend if admitted factors in as well. Finally, your data set is 5 numbers, admissions is working with somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000.

It's also not just the LSAT median they're concerned about. Lastly, schools often have GPA floors, and softs and/or other misc. items (convictions) factor in.

User avatar
surfer
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby surfer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:34 pm

givemea170 wrote:
Gail wrote:Hell, I would have taken Tulane with a big scholarship. It beats unemployment, which I feel is inevitable out of college.


With those stats, you should get a big scholarship somewhere. How many schools did you apply to? This whole bullshit that they aren't basing the decisions on stats is garbage I think. Outside of actually knowing someone personally, stats are the best indication they have and they should be used ALMOST exclusively IMO.


I think you guys are underestimating the importance of the personal statement. I'm not saying that LSAT and gpa aren't more important (they probably are). However, most of law school is reading and writing. The only way that they can evaluate your writing ability directly is through the PS and LSAT writing sample. If an attorney can't write well, then he will not be successful.

STLMizzou
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby STLMizzou » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:51 pm

Legal writing and writing in the real world are so completely different I am not sure if I agree. I am an English major/creative writing emphasis, so I would like to believe that writing ability is important, but idk if it translates into legal writing skill.


Probs just being extra careful, comparing softs and such.

User avatar
naw
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby naw » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:48 pm

confusedlaw wrote:doesuiuc offer a travel stipend for asw?

I think they're working on some package involving free lodging. Not sure about travel money though. Details will come with their e-mails in the coming weeks.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”