UIUC 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gail

Silver

Re: UIUC 2015

Post by Gail » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:24 pm

hadisious wrote:
Gail wrote:Held = WL
This isn't correct. When held at UIUC you can still be rejected, unlike a traditional waitlist. You can also be waitlisted, which is like every other waitlist.
I didn't realize that you couldn't be rejected from a waitlist

hadisious

Bronze

Post by hadisious » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:25 pm

Gail wrote:
hadisious wrote:
This isn't correct. When held at UIUC you can still be rejected, unlike a traditional waitlist. You can also be waitlisted, which is like every other waitlist.
edit: read your post wrong.

But AFAIK, most schools will keep you on the WL until the first day of class.
Last edited by hadisious on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Well alright then. A little more hope for ol' gail, i suppose.

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:32 pm

hadisious wrote:
Gail wrote:
hadisious wrote:
edit: read your post wrong.

But AFAIK, most schools will keep you on the WL until the first day of class.
Some schools will go through and pare down the waitlist.

And being held and being waitlisted are not the same thing. Like the other poster said, you can be waitlisted after being held. Being held is just a "we'll come back and look at you again later". (I think there is a school or two where "held" is the same as waitlist, though).

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:39 pm

Cornelius wrote: And being held and being waitlisted are not the same thing. Like the other poster said, you can be waitlisted after being held. Being held is just a "we'll come back and look at you again later". (I think there is a school or two where "held" is the same as waitlist, though).
Is Illinois one of those schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:40 pm

Gail wrote:
Cornelius wrote: And being held and being waitlisted are not the same thing. Like the other poster said, you can be waitlisted after being held. Being held is just a "we'll come back and look at you again later". (I think there is a school or two where "held" is the same as waitlist, though).
Is Illinois one of those schools?
I don't think so.

It usually just means that they don't have the information they need to make a decision on your app either because you're a possible YP or you're on the edge of either accept/WL or WL/reject and they want to firm up that line better.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Here's to hoping that they just need one more 166 to stay in the top 30!

hoosierball

New

Post by hoosierball » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:06 pm

So has anybody at all been rejected?

Rdubs

New

Post by Rdubs » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:11 pm

Opie wrote:
Rdubs wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
Rdubs wrote:Held via email..... Quite disappointing - as a recent visit left me far from impressed... Perhaps the class I sat in on was not on par with the rest of what Illinois offers, but still....
You were unimpressed with the visit but disappointed not to get in?

What was wrong with the class out of curiosity?
Precisely. It is saddening to be held at a school that was not that impressive, as it may be a sign of things to come from schools that would potentially be more impressive.

The class was not engaging. The professor was constantly pacing and looking at the walls. The questions students were asked were easy to answer (even for someone who had not read the material and has not studied law) but the answers provided by the students were consistently off the mark and sometimes just plain wrong. The atmosphere was just not what I had expected, as many students immediately closed their books upon being informed that they were not one of the two students chosen for that period. Additionally, the students directly in front of me were instant messaging the whole time. While I understand that every class will inevitably have its share of disengaged students, the number of students who appeared to "check out" within the first five minutes of class was surprising.

I should add, though, that I was able to interact with a few 2L students after my visit, and they appeared to be much more intelligent and interested in their studies than the students in the class I sat in on. So the class I witnessed could very well have been an anomaly.
I think your expectations of what law school is like might be a little off.
You might be right. Originally, I thought that it would be a very straightforward lecture setting, but seeing as significantly more questions were asked than I was expecting, I was just surprised to see so many students essentially stop paying attention.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rdubs

New

Post by Rdubs » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Rdubs wrote:
Rdubs wrote:Held via email..... Quite disappointing - as a recent visit left me far from impressed... Perhaps the class I sat in on was not on par with the rest of what Illinois offers, but still....
You were unimpressed with the visit but disappointed not to get in?

What was wrong with the class out of curiosity?
Precisely. It is saddening to be held at a school that was not that impressive, as it may be a sign of things to come from schools that would potentially be more impressive.

The class was not engaging. The professor was constantly pacing and looking at the walls. The questions students were asked were easy to answer (even for someone who had not read the material and has not studied law) but the answers provided by the students were consistently off the mark and sometimes just plain wrong. The atmosphere was just not what I had expected, as many students immediately closed their books upon being informed that they were not one of the two students chosen for that period. Additionally, the students directly in front of me were instant messaging the whole time. While I understand that every class will inevitably have its share of disengaged students, the number of students who appeared to "check out" within the first five minutes of class was surprising.

I should add, though, that I was able to interact with a few 2L students after my visit, and they appeared to be much more intelligent and interested in their studies than the students in the class I sat in on. So the class I witnessed could very well have been an anomaly.
You sound like a huge douche, please don't come to Illinois
Thank you for the kind response to my honest answer to your question.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:14 pm

Law school is about getting a job, not answering questions in class

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:19 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Law school is about getting a job, not answering questions in class
I think some people enjoy the intellectual pursuit aspect of it. To each his own.

Something can be said for having an engaging environment vs. a boring one filled with disinterested students.
Last edited by Cornelius on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:20 pm

Only 0ls like the intellectual pursuit of it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:21 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Only 0ls like the intellectual pursuit of it.
Someone's jaded and defensive. :roll:

The environment can be part of the experience, right?
Ludovico Technique wrote:I dropped a little because I got a bad grade in one class. It was a terrible professor who I hated so I barely ever went to class.

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:23 pm

Cornelius wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Only 0ls like the intellectual pursuit of it.
Someone's jaded and defensive. :roll:
You'll get there.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:29 pm

I'm being a little needlessly dickish. There are some times when law school is interesting. I still enjoy reading cases occasionally and there are some professors who are so good that their lectures are engaging no matter what the topic. But yeah I'm jaded because for the most part law school is just intellectual circle jerking and classes are filled with gunners who waste my time going on and on with hypos and barely related tangents because they love the "intellectual pursuit" of it.

Sounds like the dude got put in a bad class, and they should've put him with a better lecturer. But be prepared that there are bad lecturers, boring classes and disengaged students at every school.

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:30 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:I'm being a little needlessly dickish. There are some times when law school is interesting. I still enjoy reading cases occasionally and there are some professors who are so good that their lectures are engaging no matter what the topic. But yeah I'm jaded because for the most part law school is just intellectual circle jerking and classes are filled with gunners who waste my time going on and on with hypos and barely related tangents because they love the "intellectual pursuit" of it.

Sounds like the dude got put in a bad class, and they should've put him with a better lecturer. But be prepared that there are bad lecturers, boring classes and disengaged students at every school.
I can get behind this.

And yeah, the bolded would be infuriating. I definitely wasn't referring to that kind of crap. If anything, that would strike me as the opposite of intellectual pursuit, sounds more like bogged down by minutiae.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:50 pm

Always remember that law professors are hired for their research prestige, not teaching ability. The bottom line is that it is totally possible to graduate top in your class and barely have gone to class because the exams are straight from the assignments and doing well has nothing to do with class.

northside

Bronze

Post by northside » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:50 pm

Is this thread really making fun of kids who go to law school because they (GASP!) enjoy studying law?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:05 am

No, this was making fun of 0ls who think they will love studying law so much that they would never not pay attention in class or :gasp: instant message

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:18 am

You will have boring classes no matter where you go to school. Unavoidable.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

northside

Bronze

Post by northside » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:16 pm

I just got a big offer from IU Bloomington. Does anybody think I could leverage that against UIUC?

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:19 pm

northside wrote:I just got a big offer from IU Bloomington. Does anybody think I could leverage that against UIUC?
Yes. I think IUB is probably one of the most peer schools to UIUC.

Wart

Bronze

Post by Wart » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:01 pm

Opie wrote:
northside wrote:I just got a big offer from IU Bloomington. Does anybody think I could leverage that against UIUC?
Doubtful. IUB may be similar in ranking, but UIUC does not consider it a peer school, mostly because IU does not have major Chicago inroads. If you had a scholly from ND or WUSTL, that would be a different story. That being said, IU has been throwing buckets of money at students for several years now (thanks to a huge donation from an alum) and UIUC knows that it can't match their offers.

punkyg0608

Bronze

Post by punkyg0608 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:12 pm

Wart wrote:
Opie wrote:
Doubtful. IUB may be similar in ranking, but UIUC does not consider it a peer school, mostly because IU does not have major Chicago inroads. If you had a scholly from ND or WUSTL, that would be a different story. That being said, IU has been throwing buckets of money at students for several years now (thanks to a huge donation from an alum) and UIUC knows that it can't match their offers.
I agree with most of this, but Illinois is also facing a bit of a crisis with the number-fudging scandal, correct? I would think maybe they would be a bit more willing to pay the big bucks this year?

Either way, I would definitely mention a big IU-B scholly! If you have others use them too, but it definitely can't hurt!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”