UIUC 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hadisious

Bronze

Re: UIUC 2015

Post by hadisious » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:13 pm

Held as well.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Rdubs wrote:Held via email..... Quite disappointing - as a recent visit left me far from impressed... Perhaps the class I sat in on was not on par with the rest of what Illinois offers, but still....
Oh what a scholar

kalede

Bronze

Post by kalede » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:16 pm

In via email today with a quarter scholarship! :D

tennisballs

New

Post by tennisballs » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:17 pm

Did everyone receive these e-mails at the exact same time?

btw384

Bronze

Post by btw384 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:17 pm

Opie wrote:
btw384 wrote:Accepted via email, $5k/year scholly with no stips. It was unexpected as I only applied a couple of weeks ago, but I am definitely excited about it. Hopefully I can negotiate that small scholly up a bit!
Remember as well that another advantage of Illinois is that they don't raise tuition on you while you're there. That can't be said for every law school.
Very true. I am interested for sure, but as an OOS student, the thought of running up $160k is not too enticing. Hopefully they are willing to budge a bit. Regardless, it was good news for a Monday morning.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

STLMizzou

Bronze

Post by STLMizzou » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:42 pm

Held via email

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Held via email as well. Im pretty new to the application process. What does held mean exactly? Is it better than being waitlisted or is it basically just a lukewarm rejection? Pretty disappointing as i thought my 171 lsat would get me at least in.

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:56 pm

givemea170 wrote:Held via email as well. Im pretty new to the application process. What does held mean exactly? Is it better than being waitlisted or is it basically just a lukewarm rejection? Pretty disappointing as i thought my 171 lsat would get me at least in.
Good question about being held. I was held as well -- I think its basically a lukewarm rejection. I am not keeping my hopes up.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:59 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:
givemea170 wrote:Held via email as well. Im pretty new to the application process. What does held mean exactly? Is it better than being waitlisted or is it basically just a lukewarm rejection? Pretty disappointing as i thought my 171 lsat would get me at least in.
Good question about being held. I was held as well -- I think its basically a lukewarm rejection. I am not keeping my hopes up.
I would say its closer to a lukewarm waitlist. I'm held, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:00 pm

neeko wrote:
YankeeFan2 wrote:
So should I feel better that it is not a flat out rejection?

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:01 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:
neeko wrote:
YankeeFan2 wrote:
So should I feel better that it is not a flat out rejection?
Definitely.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:09 pm

Rdubs wrote:Held via email..... Quite disappointing - as a recent visit left me far from impressed... Perhaps the class I sat in on was not on par with the rest of what Illinois offers, but still....
Out of curiosity, who taught the class you sat in on?

jrthor10

Bronze

Post by jrthor10 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:10 pm

In with a quarter scholarship via e-mail.

Looking at LSN two things seem clear to me: One apps are down this year bc of the scandal. Two, UIUC seems to either dramatically favor high gpa's to high lsat's for scholarships or 2, the school is holding back $$ from candidates they don't think will attend.

TBH I was a little surprised with my stats that I only got a 1/4 scholly when it seems clear to everyone the school is going to have a weird cycle. Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:15 pm

For what it's worth, I have a 175+ LSAT and approximately the same GPA as you and I'm in with 1/2 scholly.
jrthor10 wrote:In with a quarter scholarship via e-mail.

Looking at LSN two things seem clear to me: One apps are down this year bc of the scandal. Two, UIUC seems to either dramatically favor high gpa's to high lsat's for scholarships or 2, the school is holding back $$ from candidates they don't think will attend.

TBH I was a little surprised with my stats that I only got a 1/4 scholly when it seems clear to everyone the school is going to have a weird cycle. Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:15 pm

You were unimpressed with the visit but disappointed not to get in?

What was wrong with the class out of curiosity?

STLMizzou

Bronze

Post by STLMizzou » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:48 pm

So was everybody that was held today a splitter? I am confused why a "hold"? Maybe to get people who are not really planning on UofI to withdraw their applications for YP?

I mean, it’s the end of January. You would think they know at least the basic GPA/LSAT stats of everybody who was going to apply by now…

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:54 pm

STLMizzou wrote:So was everybody that was held today a splitter? I am confused why a "hold"? Maybe to get people who are not really planning on UofI to withdraw their applications for YP?

I mean, it’s the end of January. You would think they know at least the basic GPA/LSAT stats of everybody who was going to apply by now…
Could be a combination of the two. Maybe they do know the basic numbers but the margin is tight and they need to shore it up a little more.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rdubs

New

Post by Rdubs » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:16 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:

Precisely. It is saddening to be held at a school that was not that impressive, as it may be a sign of things to come from schools that would potentially be more impressive.

The class was not engaging. The professor was constantly pacing and looking at the walls. The questions students were asked were easy to answer (even for someone who had not read the material and has not studied law) but the answers provided by the students were consistently off the mark and sometimes just plain wrong. The atmosphere was just not what I had expected, as many students immediately closed their books upon being informed that they were not one of the two students chosen for that period. Additionally, the students directly in front of me were instant messaging the whole time. While I understand that every class will inevitably have its share of disengaged students, the number of students who appeared to "check out" within the first five minutes of class was surprising.

I should add, though, that I was able to interact with a few 2L students after my visit, and they appeared to be much more intelligent and interested in their studies than the students in the class I sat in on. So the class I witnessed could very well have been an anomaly.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:25 pm

Rdubs wrote:

Precisely. It is saddening to be held at a school that was not that impressive, as it may be a sign of things to come from schools that would potentially be more impressive.

The class was not engaging. The professor was constantly pacing and looking at the walls. The questions students were asked were easy to answer (even for someone who had not read the material and has not studied law) but the answers provided by the students were consistently off the mark and sometimes just plain wrong. The atmosphere was just not what I had expected, as many students immediately closed their books upon being informed that they were not one of the two students chosen for that period. Additionally, the students directly in front of me were instant messaging the whole time. While I understand that every class will inevitably have its share of disengaged students, the number of students who appeared to "check out" within the first five minutes of class was surprising.

I should add, though, that I was able to interact with a few 2L students after my visit, and they appeared to be much more intelligent and interested in their studies than the students in the class I sat in on. So the class I witnessed could very well have been an anomaly.
I think your expectations of what law school is like might be a little off.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:36 pm

Rdubs wrote:

You sound like a huge douche, please don't come to Illinois

jsvaughn

Bronze

Post by jsvaughn » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:43 pm

held today via email

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Under review. How long has the review process taken for recent decisions? Seems like about a month on LSN?

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:16 pm

Held = WL

hadisious

Bronze

Post by hadisious » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:18 pm

Gail wrote:Held = WL
This isn't correct. When held at UIUC you can still be rejected, unlike a traditional waitlist. You can also be waitlisted, which is like every other waitlist.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Rdubs wrote:

OH WHAT A SCHOLAR

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”