UIUC 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mattviphky

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby mattviphky » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:05 pm

northside wrote:
Opie wrote:
tooswolle wrote:No problem. What other schools are you considering? What kind of scholarships do you have/are expecting?

That's a tough call, but I'm tempted to say MSU at 75% is about the same as UIUC at 25%. You'd be in different markets, but I think that may be close to equal leaning a little toward UIUC.

Are you serious? I grew up in Michigan and when I got a mailer from MSU I said to myself: Wait -- MSU has a Law School?

You're looking at 8th worst economy in America. Outside of Lansing you've got corn fields and apple orchards. Grand Rapids is the only thing keeping that state going, and that is only because of the medical industry.

Where do you think Illinois is on that list?

omninode

Postby omninode » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:59 pm

freaknroll wrote:Does anybody know if UIUC subsidizes or reimburses travel expenses for ASW's? I didnt see anything mentioned in the email I just received.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:04 pm

omninode wrote:
freaknroll wrote:Does anybody know if UIUC subsidizes or reimburses travel expenses for ASW's? I didnt see anything mentioned in the email I just received.

Not sure, but I don't think they did a few years ago. This might have changed, though. Might as well ask someone in the admissions office!

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:20 pm

blurbz wrote:I disagree that MSU at 75% is anywhere near equal to Illinois at 25%: MSU has no market, Illinois at least has pretty good inroads in Chicago and other Midwestern cities. Your scholarship at Illinois is guaranteed...Is it at MSU or do you have to stay at a certain level with a harsher curve? Look at all of that stuff...

Median is hard here, but I'd rather be median at Illinois than at MSU: In my mind, it's a no-brainer if those are your choices.

I definitely agree with what you're saying. The MSU has a 2.5 GPA stip, so it's not insane if I took it as I would without a doubt drop out if I couldn't keep that scholarship. As it stands I'm waiting on a lot of my tier one options. Ideally a good aid package and so so debt would be adequate for what I'm trying to do. My main concern is to go to a good law school at the best rate. Down the road I'll try to negotiate and worst case scenario I'd defer and retake (the bloody reading comp effed me up and screwed my score.)

In other news just got my packet from UIUC it was nice. Definitely liked the Illinois guarantee...just wish it was cheaper.

On a side note how would you say that minority recruitment went for your classmates? How are the ladies at UIUC / social life? As of right now it's a top contender and eventually I might pull the trigger and sign the dotted lines for the loans!

mg87

Postby mg87 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:54 pm

I was accepted last week with 25% scholarship. This is the first time I check out this thread and reading some of the posts here, I'm actually a bit shocked I was accepted. I had a 164 on my LSAT and 3.08 gpa.

Gail

Postby Gail » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:55 pm

mg87 wrote:I was accepted last week with 25% scholarship. This is the first time I check out this thread and reading some of the posts here, I'm actually a bit shocked I was accepted. I had a 164 on my LSAT and 3.08 gpa.

Softs? Illinois seems to care about those.

mg87

Postby mg87 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:16 pm

I don't know what exactly 'softs' entail. However, from other posts I can assume that it refers to extracurricular activities and other intangibles, relative to grades and LSAT.

I have over two years of professional experience (political and business). I have engaged in extensive volunteer work and come from a poor, urban city with a high poverty rate and sub-standard public schooling. Additionally, I'm a first generation American; my parents immigrated from El Salvador and I'm the only member in my family to graduate from college. I also think my personal statement is compelling and well-written.

I read that they also look at trending gpas and I had an upward trend in my last few semesters.

I would very much be satisfied with going to UIUC. However, I'm still waiting back on a few other schools. Considering the nominal 'softs' I described, do you think I have a shot at Vanderbilt? From what I've read, they look at upward trends and my interviewer was left with a strong impression.

wvu

Postby wvu » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:50 pm

mg87 wrote:I don't know what exactly 'softs' entail. However, from other posts I can assume that it refers to extracurricular activities and other intangibles, relative to grades and LSAT.

I have over two years of professional experience (political and business). I have engaged in extensive volunteer work and come from a poor, urban city with a high poverty rate and sub-standard public schooling. Additionally, I'm a first generation American; my parents immigrated from El Salvador and I'm the only member in my family to graduate from college. I also think my personal statement is compelling and well-written.

I read that they also look at trending gpas and I had an upward trend in my last few semesters.

I would very much be satisfied with going to UIUC. However, I'm still waiting back on a few other schools. Considering the nominal 'softs' I described, do you think I have a shot at Vanderbilt? From what I've read, they look at upward trends and my interviewer was left with a strong impression.

tldr version: good softs

Gail

Postby Gail » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:36 am

mg87 wrote:I don't know what exactly 'softs' entail. However, from other posts I can assume that it refers to extracurricular activities and other intangibles, relative to grades and LSAT.

It was good softs.

Vanderbilt would be a big stretch. Where else have you been accepted?

mg87

Postby mg87 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:29 pm

Haven't heard back from any other schools yet.

naw

Postby naw » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:18 am

Finally got my packet. Loving the "Illinois Guarantee" (no stips, no tuition increases) and the low CoL ($755 for the average 2br [Berkeley is more than twice that, I think]). Sort of irrelevant, but is UIUC the only all-female admissions office? If so, that's really cool.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:26 am

naw wrote:Finally got my packet. Loving the "Illinois Guarantee" (no stips, no tuition increases) and the low CoL ($755 for the average 2br [Berkeley is more than twice that, I think]). Sort of irrelevant, but is UIUC the only all-female admissions office? If so, that's really cool.

Are they literally all-female? Or are you just going by the people you've had contact with? If they really are, that is rather interesting.

Gail

Postby Gail » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:18 am

should i update my resume?

tennisballs

Postby tennisballs » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:24 pm

Agree, that is pretty cool if its an all-female admissions office.

Maybe today the ladies will send another batch of decisions out? ...that would be nice.

Gail

Postby Gail » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:32 pm

Who else is slowly realizing that the second review thing was a WL?

Wart

Postby Wart » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Opie wrote:
naw wrote:Finally got my packet. Loving the "Illinois Guarantee" (no stips, no tuition increases) and the low CoL ($755 for the average 2br [Berkeley is more than twice that, I think]). Sort of irrelevant, but is UIUC the only all-female admissions office? If so, that's really cool.

Are they literally all-female? Or are you just going by the people you've had contact with? If they really are, that is rather interesting.

Dean Columbo (a man) is the current head of admissions.

tennisballs

Postby tennisballs » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:34 pm

Wart wrote:
Opie wrote:

Dean Columbo (a man) is the current head of admissions.

Jenny Carroll is current head of admissions... But, I do think Colombo is still involved.

Wart

Postby Wart » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:13 pm

tennisballs wrote:
Wart wrote:Dean Columbo (a man) is the current head of admissions.

Jenny Carroll is current head of admissions... But, I do think Colombo is still involved.

Nope. --LinkRemoved--. Assistant Dean > Director.

tennisballs

Postby tennisballs » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Wart wrote:
tennisballs wrote:
Wart wrote:Dean Columbo (a man) is the current head of admissions.

Nope. --LinkRemoved--. Assistant Dean > Director.

Touché

btw384

Postby btw384 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:59 pm

Accepted via email, $5k/year scholly with no stips. It was unexpected as I only applied a couple of weeks ago, but I am definitely excited about it. Hopefully I can negotiate that small scholly up a bit!

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:04 pm

btw384 wrote:Accepted via email, $5k/year scholly with no stips. It was unexpected as I only applied a couple of weeks ago, but I am definitely excited about it. Hopefully I can negotiate that small scholly up a bit!

Remember as well that another advantage of Illinois is that they don't raise tuition on you while you're there. That can't be said for every law school.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Opie wrote:
btw384 wrote:Accepted via email, $5k/year scholly with no stips. It was unexpected as I only applied a couple of weeks ago, but I am definitely excited about it. Hopefully I can negotiate that small scholly up a bit!

Remember as well that another advantage of Illinois is that they don't raise tuition on you while you're there. That can't be said for every law school.

Shut up, Opie! 8) Yeah, just withdraw man...just withdraw :wink:

YankeeFan2

Postby YankeeFan2 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:11 pm

Just got an email. Placed on "hold" .

Rdubs

Postby Rdubs » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:11 pm

Held via email..... Quite disappointing - as a recent visit left me far from impressed... Perhaps the class I sat in on was not on par with the rest of what Illinois offers, but still....

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:13 pm

mattviphky wrote:
Opie wrote:

Shut up, Opie! 8) Yeah, just withdraw man...just withdraw :wink:

Haha!! That's not the way to get a spot. You're supposed to smear them on social media.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”