UIUC 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Wart

Bronze

Re: UIUC 2015

Post by Wart » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:46 pm

Last edited by Wart on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:54 pm

NiccoloA wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
NiccoloA wrote:Chance with 166/3.6?
Who knows this year with the scandal and such. That could be big money or a straight denial. Nobody knows.
That's my hope. I know that those numbers would have gotten me auto-reject last year.

Hoping that others are staying far away from the scandal.
Same hope here. I'm 2.8/167 and would really like a shot here somehow.

NiccoloA

Bronze

Post by NiccoloA » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:13 am

Thought I wrote a really nice "Why Illinois"

But that probably doesn't matter.

I'm seriously teetering on just taking a gap year, retaking, and reapplying because I feel like I've messed up some applications. I just don't know what my chances are in this economy for a real job that can pay off my UG debt. Then again, it's definitely better idea to pay some of that off now before law school anyways.

Just two questions away from a 168. Damnit. *shakes fist*

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:31 am

NiccoloA wrote:Thought I wrote a really nice "Why Illinois"

But that probably doesn't matter.

I'm seriously teetering on just taking a gap year, retaking, and reapplying because I feel like I've messed up some applications. I just don't know what my chances are in this economy for a real job that can pay off my UG debt. Then again, it's definitely better idea to pay some of that off now before law school anyways.

Just two questions away from a 168. Damnit. *shakes fist*
Definitely consider retaking and reapplying if you aren't satisfied with your cycle. Many people on TLS have done this to great success.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:25 am

illini22 wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
Samara wrote:
Wart wrote:I think somewhere between 27-35 is where we'll land. 40s is unlikely given that we still place in the NLJ250 like a top 250 and that our medians are competitive or better than a lot of the schools ranked around 30 (i.e. Iowa, UNC).

As for the cycle, I'm guessing some mega money will be given out. Students will be skeptical and $ is the only way to get them here.
Any idea how Chicago placement will affected? I've heard that it may be impacted, but less dramatically than its change in ranking.
Chicago is the only city we place in. If you want any city other than Chicago don't come to Illinois. In fact, if you aren't comfortable with the idea of having to take a job in Joliet or Peoria or some other bumfuck town, don't come to Illinois.
Lol, where do you get this information???? I say quite the opposite, as the class itself is becoming more geographically diverse, so are the interest of people. I personally know 2Ls with jobs almost in every market, with NY, Texas, and California getting the most after Chicago. And is not 1 person, I know at least of 5 people who got SAs at each of those states.

And guys, remember that the rankings are NOT based on medians, they are based on 25th and 75th percentile. Hence, the median might be 163, but doesnt mean that the 25th and 75th percentile moved much. Also, look at Indiana's 25th and 75th.... I REALLY doubt that we will dip below 30, my guess is 26-28. Also, we had another admission scandal 5 years ago, just as big if not bigger. Most employers dont even remember it (I ask a few during a networking event), the school dropped but it picked up its ranking the next year. I bet the same will happen again, but by the time the class of 2015 is graduating, no one will remember it.

Also, always remember that the negative nancys and those who didnt get jobs because THEY CANT INTERVIEW AND BLAME IT ON THE SCHOOL are the ones who are most likely to post here. Look at the numbers objectively. You can always apply (its free) and see where it goes from there.
Um I'm calling major bullshit on this. You know 5 people with SAs in NY, Texas and California? Even if this is true, that's like 1% of the entire class. You're really going to tell people they have a shot at getting to other markets because you know 1% of the class who was able to do it?

And who are these "negative nancys" you're talking about? I'm the only 2l that's posted in this thread so far and I have a job so wtf are you talking about?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:35 am

Kilpatrick wrote:
illini22 wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
Chicago is the only city we place in. If you want any city other than Chicago don't come to Illinois. In fact, if you aren't comfortable with the idea of having to take a job in Joliet or Peoria or some other bumfuck town, don't come to Illinois.
Lol, where do you get this information???? I say quite the opposite, as the class itself is becoming more geographically diverse, so are the interest of people. I personally know 2Ls with jobs almost in every market, with NY, Texas, and California getting the most after Chicago. And is not 1 person, I know at least of 5 people who got SAs at each of those states.

And guys, remember that the rankings are NOT based on medians, they are based on 25th and 75th percentile. Hence, the median might be 163, but doesnt mean that the 25th and 75th percentile moved much. Also, look at Indiana's 25th and 75th.... I REALLY doubt that we will dip below 30, my guess is 26-28. Also, we had another admission scandal 5 years ago, just as big if not bigger. Most employers dont even remember it (I ask a few during a networking event), the school dropped but it picked up its ranking the next year. I bet the same will happen again, but by the time the class of 2015 is graduating, no one will remember it.

Also, always remember that the negative nancys and those who didnt get jobs because THEY CANT INTERVIEW AND BLAME IT ON THE SCHOOL are the ones who are most likely to post here. Look at the numbers objectively. You can always apply (its free) and see where it goes from there.
Um I'm calling major bullshit on this. You know 5 people with SAs in NY, Texas and California? Even if this is true, that's like 1% of the entire class. You're really going to tell people they have a shot at getting to other markets because you know 1% of the class who was able to do it?

And who are these "negative nancys" you're talking about? I'm the only 2l that's posted in this thread so far and I have a job so wtf are you talking about?
I think he meant "negative nancy's" on TLS in general, but yeah that was pretty retarded

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:37 pm

illini22 wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
Samara wrote:
Wart wrote:I think somewhere between 27-35 is where we'll land. 40s is unlikely given that we still place in the NLJ250 like a top 250 and that our medians are competitive or better than a lot of the schools ranked around 30 (i.e. Iowa, UNC).

As for the cycle, I'm guessing some mega money will be given out. Students will be skeptical and $ is the only way to get them here.
Any idea how Chicago placement will affected? I've heard that it may be impacted, but less dramatically than its change in ranking.

I'm sorry, there's just NO WAY that the bolded is accurate. You're telling me that you know 15 people with biglaw jobs spread among NY, Texas, and CA from within our 2L class? That means that at least 8% of our class has biglaw in those markets when we're barely placing 20% in biglaw right now. And that number is probably higher given that It's unlikely you know everyone in the class. I don't buy it. I know someone who is in the top 5%, on law review, and a perfectly good interviewer who could not get a job back in the city he grew up in and lived in for 20+ years. He's got a market paying job in Chicago. I understand that it is possible for people at Illinois to get offers in other markets but you seem to be trying to convince prospective students that it's not just possible, it's a perfectly normal, achievable goal so long as you can interview well. That's just naive.

My message to prospective students: As you know, the legal market sucks. Illinois is still a good school with respectable biglaw placement, but the majority of that placement is in Chicago. If you would not be at all happy if Chicago biglaw was your only option, then don't come here. If you're worried about not hitting biglaw but you're certain you'll make it back to some other market anyway, be very cautious about coming here.

Before someone calls me a negative-nancy who can't interview well and is instead blaming the school: I am a 2L at Illinois with a market paying job outside of Chicago. I just recognize that my situation is an exception rather than the rule, and you should too.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:35 pm

illini22 wrote:Also, always remember that the negative nancys and those who didnt get jobs because THEY CANT INTERVIEW AND BLAME IT ON THE SCHOOL are the ones who are most likely to post here.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:48 pm

blurbz wrote:
illini22 wrote: THEY CANT INTERVIEW AND BLAME IT ON THE SCHOOL
If you would not be at all happy if Chicago biglaw was your only option, then don't come here.
*enrolls in Illinois*

*ends up being one of the 15 or so non-ip students to get biglaw*

*mad as fuck that it is in chicago*

*complains to friends that he had to settle for chicago biglaw even though they are unemployed*

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:54 pm

dreakol wrote:
blurbz wrote:
If you would not be at all happy if Chicago biglaw was your only option, then don't come here.
*enrolls in Illinois*

*complains to friends that he had to settle for chicago biglaw even though they are unemployed*
You don't read very well, do you?

I have a biglaw job outside of Chicago. I'm not one of the "negative nancys" that the misguided poster above is talking about and I'm not complaining about my situation. All I'm saying is that the fact of the matter is this: Chicago is our primary market. If you don't accept that, you might be disappointed. You should not listen to anyone who tries to tell you that Illinois is a national school placing 5+ students in biglaw in every major market in the country. We're not.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:00 pm

blurbz wrote:
dreakol wrote:
blurbz wrote:
*enrolls in Illinois*

You don't read very well, do you?

I have a biglaw job outside of Chicago. I'm not one of the "negative nancys" that the misguided poster above is talking about and I'm not complaining about my situation. All I'm saying is that the fact of the matter is this: Chicago is our primary market. If you don't accept that, you might be disappointed. You should not listen to anyone who tries to tell you that Illinois is a national school placing 5+ students in biglaw in every major market in the country. We're not.
lol, brother, lol

that was not at all directed towards you. it was more so agreeing with this:
blurbz wrote: You should not listen to anyone who tries to tell you that Illinois is a national school placing 5+ students in biglaw in every major market in the country. We're not.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:02 pm

dreakol wrote:
lol, brother, lol

that was not at all directed towards you. it was more so agreeing with this:
blurbz wrote: You should not listen to anyone who tries to tell you that Illinois is a national school placing 5+ students in biglaw in every major market in the country. We're not.
After I posted, I wondered whether I had misunderstood. I rescind my insult.
Last edited by blurbz on Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:03 pm

dreakol wrote:
blurbz wrote:
*enrolls in Illinois*

*ends up being one of the 15 or so non-ip students to get big law*

I'm pretty sure said person contains their complaining to other biglaw secure friends and to the anonymity of the internet :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:04 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
dreakol wrote:
blurbz wrote:
*enrolls in Illinois*

*ends up being one of the 15 or so non-ip students to get big law*

I'm pretty sure said person contains their complaining to other biglaw secure friends and to the anonymity of the internet :wink:

:-)

northside

Bronze

Post by northside » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:13 pm

Just checking in.

in2win

Bronze

Post by in2win » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:04 pm

Hey. Does anybody know around when we can expect to start getting decisions.

tennisballs

New

Post by tennisballs » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:42 pm

in2win wrote:Hey. Does anybody know around when we can expect to start getting decisions.
in2win wrote:Hey. Does anybody know around when we can expect to start getting decisions.
They'll probably hold off a little longer this year to see what this batch of applicants will be like--application numbers may go wayy down.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JTD21

New

Post by JTD21 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:14 pm

I spoke with Jennifer Carroll, who is new at the admissions office as her business cards still place her in alumni relations, at the Houston LSAC forum this past Saturday and she seemed to think that it would likely be January before regular decisions start coming out. They haven't even begun looking at ED as of yet, but those have to be decided by mid-December.

When you think about it, they have had to develop a whole new process and place new individuals into the decision making roles in a somewhat short amount of time. I think that they learned their lesson in allowing one person to possess total control over the process.

JTD21

New

Post by JTD21 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:55 pm

I ED'd to Illinois and my file went in review today! I hope that they have a quick turn around time either way.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:15 pm

JTD21 wrote:I ED'd to Illinois and my file went in review today! I hope that they have a quick turn around time either way.
Well, in years past, you'd go in review one week and hear back the next... though, if I remember correctly, I think it was in review on a Friday and hear the next Friday, so the fact that you went in review on a Tuesday may mean that the same one week turn around from years past is not going to be the case this year. Though, given the shake up in the admissions office, I guess we have no reason to believe things will be the same this year.

JTD21

New

Post by JTD21 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:39 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
JTD21 wrote:I ED'd to Illinois and my file went in review today! I hope that they have a quick turn around time either way.
Well, in years past, you'd go in review one week and hear back the next... though, if I remember correctly, I think it was in review on a Friday and hear the next Friday, so the fact that you went in review on a Tuesday may mean that the same one week turn around from years past is not going to be the case this year. Though, given the shake up in the admissions office, I guess we have no reason to believe things will be the same this year.

I agree with your assessment. I think that anything in the past can be tossed out the window. I'm curious how things will shape up at Illinois this cycle. They told me that the minimum $8k scholarship from last year will likely not be offered to everyone in this years class. I think they be thinking that they need to rearrange some of that scholly money to really entice the higher number applicants.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:41 pm

nothing at all. i have a feeling they're gonna wait a while before they decide what to do.

MillerTime12

New

Post by MillerTime12 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:06 pm

Checking in!

"File Complete - Ready for Review" since 9/27.

STLMizzou

Bronze

Post by STLMizzou » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:11 pm

I applied yesterday, despite the scandal. I want to either work in St. Louis (connections with BJC Legal, have hospitals in IL and MO so could be a good fit) or Chicago (where I live/work now).

I am a splitter with a good LSAT and not so good GPA. Hope they give me money, but they are going to have to give quite a bit more then WashU for me to attend. Hope it works out though! Like I said, Chicago is awesome (besides from my huge rent for a tiny place, but that's big city life for you...)

in2win

Bronze

Post by in2win » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:24 pm

i have a feeling its gonna be an extremely long wait for a decision. nothing is happening on my status

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”