UIUC 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
diegoforlan10

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby diegoforlan10 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Two things:

First, where in these numbers would those people who are employed doing the dreaded "doc review" appear? Couldn't they count as people working in large firms?

Second, are there ANY options for good seafood in U-C? I come from Baltimore and feast on fish, crabs, shrimp etc weekly. Is this possible in Illinois or is seafood rare and expensive?
Last edited by diegoforlan10 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:40 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:Two things:

First, where in these numbers would those people who are employed doing the dreaded "doc review"? Couldn't they count as people working in large firms?

Second, are there ANY options for good seafood in U-C? I come from Baltimore and feast fish, crabs, shrimp etc every week. Is this possible in Illinois or is seafood rare and expensive?

1. Consensus in other threads seems to be that doc review jobs are in the "business/industry" category because doc review projects are staffed by temp agencies.

2. Nope. The step down from Baltimore seafood to Champaign is going to be painful. There are a couple acceptable sushi places and there are some restaurants where I've had seafood dishes that have been spectacular (Bacaro for example) but it's very rare. There are a few really good restaurants here that are amazing for a town this size, but in general food in Central Illinois is disgusting unless you love cheese sauce.

littlepanda

Postby littlepanda » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:02 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:2. Nope. The step down from Baltimore seafood to Champaign is going to be painful. There are a couple acceptable sushi places and there are some restaurants where I've had seafood dishes that have been spectacular (Bacaro for example) but it's very rare. There are a few really good restaurants here that are amazing for a town this size, but in general food in Central Illinois is disgusting unless you love cheese sauce.

having already put in my deposit, this makes me sad =(

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:07 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
diegoforlan10 wrote:Two things:

First, where in these numbers would those people who are employed doing the dreaded "doc review"? Couldn't they count as people working in large firms?

Second, are there ANY options for good seafood in U-C? I come from Baltimore and feast fish, crabs, shrimp etc every week. Is this possible in Illinois or is seafood rare and expensive?

1. Consensus in other threads seems to be that doc review jobs are in the "business/industry" category because doc review projects are staffed by temp agencies.

2. Nope. The step down from Baltimore seafood to Champaign is going to be painful. There are a couple acceptable sushi places and there are some restaurants where I've had seafood dishes that have been spectacular (Bacaro for example) but it's very rare. There are a few really good restaurants here that are amazing for a town this size, but in general food in Central Illinois is disgusting unless you love cheese sauce.

good dairy and beef, though.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:08 pm

littlepanda wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:2. Nope. The step down from Baltimore seafood to Champaign is going to be painful. There are a couple acceptable sushi places and there are some restaurants where I've had seafood dishes that have been spectacular (Bacaro for example) but it's very rare. There are a few really good restaurants here that are amazing for a town this size, but in general food in Central Illinois is disgusting unless you love cheese sauce.

Eh it's not so bad. There are at least a handful of restaurants that are great. There's just not any place you're going to find anything comparable to fresh Maryland crabs.

And when you get sick of the few good restaurants in C-U, you're only 2 hours away from the best food scene in America right now.

flyingduck

Postby flyingduck » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:35 pm

littlepanda wrote:

I second littlepanda on the seafood part. For sushi, there are ~3-4 decent sushi restaurants (Sushi Kame, among others). I think its important to note that the great thing about Urbana-Champaign is the variety of quality restaurants there are within campus town and within a 5 minute bus ride to downtown Champaign and Urbana. Downtown, there are a few gems (Bacaro, Escobar's, and V. Picasso), more than a handful of great restaurants a bit more casual (Seven Saints and Guido's), and a lot of nice/unique bars and lounges (Blind Pig and Boltini's). In campus town, there are still some decent restaurants, but they are among the more "cheese sauce" type restaurants and college bars that geared towards the ever-hungry and ever-thirsty undergrads.

I don't mean to sugarcoat things but the one thing I rarely complained about during my undergrad at Illinois is food and drink. Having a chef for a mother, I have always enjoyed great food. Chambana wasn't all that bad. :)

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:38 pm

flyingduck wrote:
littlepanda wrote:

I second littlepanda on the seafood part. For sushi, there are ~3-4 decent sushi restaurants (Sushi Kame, among others). I think its important to note that the great thing about Urbana-Champaign is the variety of quality restaurants there are within campus town and within a 5 minute bus ride to downtown Champaign and Urbana. Downtown, there are a few gems (Bacaro, Escobar's, and V. Picasso), more than a handful of great restaurants a bit more casual (Seven Saints and Guido's), and a lot of nice/unique bars and lounges (Blind Pig and Boltini's). In campus town, there are still some decent restaurants, but they are among the more "cheese sauce" type restaurants and college bars that geared towards the ever-hungry and ever-thirsty undergrads.

I don't mean to sugarcoat things but the one thing I never complained about during my undergrad at Illinois is food and drink. Having a chef for a mother, I have always enjoyed great food. Chambana wasn't all that bad. :)

V Picasso closed, I never got to try it. :( And yeah Sushi Kame is one of the two places where I usually go for sushi.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:39 pm

I'm on a diet so oh well on the food talk. Good food is always in Chicago.

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:58 pm

littlepanda wrote:

Eh it's not so bad. There are at least a handful of restaurants that are great. There's just not any place you're going to find anything comparable to fresh Maryland crabs.

And when you get sick of the few good restaurants in C-U, you're only 2 hours away from the best food scene in America right now.

So everyone keeps talking about how Chicago is "only 2 hours away". How often do people head out there from Chambana? When you're from a small state like Maryland 2 hours seems like a long distance. I don't see myself driving 4 hours round-trip going to Chicago for a dinner date, for example. Do students typically rent a hotel room and stay in Chicago for a weekend? I would love the opportunity to get to know one of America's most storied cities but it seems just out of reach.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:16 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:
littlepanda wrote:

So everyone keeps talking about how Chicago is "only 2 hours away". How often do people head out there from Chambana? When you're from a small state like Maryland 2 hours seems like a long distance. I don't see myself driving 4 hours round-trip going to Chicago for a dinner date, for example. Do students typically rent a hotel room and stay in Chicago for a weekend? I would love the opportunity to get to know one of America's most storied cities but it seems just out of reach.

Well a lot of students (most?) have friends/family/SOs in the city so they go up all the time. One of my friends goes every other weekend. I don't know anyone there so I go less frequently, but the drive isn't so bad. I usually get a hotel on priceline and stay the weekend but I've gone up for just the day before or I've driven up just to drop someone off at the airport and then come right back. I like to drive though so maybe I'm weird.

I've also taken the bus there and it's not bad at all. Pretty cheap if you go at the right time of day and they have free wifi.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:17 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:So everyone keeps talking about how Chicago is "only 2 hours away". How often do people head out there from Chambana? When you're from a small state like Maryland 2 hours seems like a long distance. I don't see myself driving 4 hours round-trip going to Chicago for a dinner date, for example. Do students typically rent a hotel room and stay in Chicago for a weekend? I would love the opportunity to get to know one of America's most storied cities but it seems just out of reach.

Yeah, maybe that is more of a midwestern thing. Long, straight interstates make these trips seems fast. Just put on a good playlist or satellite radio and you'll have no problems. I live about 90 minutes from St. Louis, and we'll routinely go there for Cards games, concerts, etc. We don't go for dinner or anything, but its pretty easy to make a day of it.

thatjuanguy

Postby thatjuanguy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:32 pm

Haha I will be coming from Hawaii so I have given up hope of finding good sushi in central Illinois.

It will be nice to have long straight interstates, it takes an hour to go 15 miles here most days.

LST

Postby LST » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:17 pm

Last edited by LST on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ATKT765

Postby ATKT765 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:36 pm

I've decided I'm going to attend Illinois! I want to start looking for a roommate, so I can have that all set in the next couple months. I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I'm a 25 year old female looking for a female roommate. Send me a message if you want more info. Thanks!

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:09 pm

LST,

Tell me more about this Amtrak student advantage card. I've recently bought a new car and probably will want to go to Chicago at least a couple times a month so don't want to just drive up the mileage. So how do I get this student advantage card? Just show proof to Amtrak that I"m a student I"m guessing?

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:10 pm

ATKT765 wrote:I've decided I'm going to attend Illinois! I want to start looking for a roommate, so I can have that all set in the next couple months. I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I'm a 25 year old female looking for a female roommate. Send me a message if you want more info. Thanks!

I also think I would like a roommate. Sadly, I probably won't find one suitable. My ideal roommate would be a female and a very small percentage of females want to live with a stranger who is a male. I've lived with guys enough in my life. I think I'm done with that and the mind numbingly disgusting bathrooms and kitchens. I guess clean males could do as well although how would I know? haha

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:27 pm

givemea170 wrote:
I also think I would like a roommate. Sadly, I probably won't find one suitable. My ideal roommate would be a female and a very small percentage of females want to live with a stranger who is a male. I've lived with guys enough in my life. I think I'm done with that and the mind numbingly disgusting bathrooms and kitchens. I guess clean males could do as well although how would I know? haha

Exactly what I was looking for when I started. However, I'm now living with like 4 other guys...but the house is cool.

tmon

Postby tmon » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:35 pm

Umm, did I take the wrong route on the way to the open house, or is Chicago->Champaign closer to 3 hours than 2?

gtrs09

Postby gtrs09 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:18 am

post removed.
Last edited by gtrs09 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LST

Postby LST » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:23 am

Last edited by LST on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:36 am

tmon wrote:Umm, did I take the wrong route on the way to the open house, or is Chicago->Champaign closer to 3 hours than 2?

Depends on what part of the city and if there's any traffic, but I think the most it's ever taken me is 2 1/2 hours and that was to O'Hare. I drive fast though. YMMV

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:43 am

tmon wrote:Umm, did I take the wrong route on the way to the open house, or is Chicago->Champaign closer to 3 hours than 2?

Depends on what part of the city and if there's any traffic, but I think the most it's ever taken me is 2 1/2 hours and that was to O'Hare. I drive fast though. YMMV

google maps says 2 1/2 hours from the law school to the heart of Chicago, but that is going the speed limit. Go 10 over and you'll make it in 2. Live on the south side and its closer to 1h 45m

LST

Postby LST » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:48 am

Last edited by LST on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmon

Postby tmon » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:01 am

Yeah, didn't take into account exactly where in Chicago I'm talking about, I suppose. Good call. For some reason the difference between 2 and 3 hours of driving through cornfields is significant to me. :lol:

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:02 am

I save up podcasts that I like for when I know I'm gonna be driving up there. Or download/rent comedy CDs. Makes the time go by pretty fast.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”