UIUC 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LST

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby LST » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:58 pm

Last edited by LST on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:11 pm

ashen wrote:Scheduled a tour of the college for next Friday.
Does anyone know what I can expect in terms of the class and the meeting?
Being waitlisted at my alma mater and top choice is kind of a bummer :/

taking a tour should help. btw, what are your numbers if you don't mind sharing?

ATKT765

Postby ATKT765 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:13 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:Well I've officially committed to UIUC! They graciously increased my scholarship a second time. I can't believe it. I am SO excited to be in C-U in the fall! Can't wait to meet you all in person.

Now begins the hunt for a roommate/roommates. Anyone here looking into getting a 2 or 3 BR apartment? I'm thinking Windsor West, but I'm open to other options (the village sounds cool). Personally, I'm not trying to drink anywhere near as much as I did in undergrad, but I would like to live with fun people who like to go out occasionally.

Is there a better place to look for future roommates and discuss housing other than this thread? I'm worried that I'm too off-topic. I'll be out of the country until late July so I'm in a kind of tricky situation. Anyway, PM me if you're interested in discussing housing arrangements. I'm trying to lock this all in within the next month or so.

I am totally new to all this, but how do you get them to "graciously increase your scholarship for a second time?" I haven't tried, and it might be too late, but does anyone have any advice about this?

LST

Postby LST » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:31 pm

Last edited by LST on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashen

Postby ashen » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:07 pm

mattviphky wrote:
ashen wrote:Scheduled a tour of the college for next Friday.
Does anyone know what I can expect in terms of the class and the meeting?
Being waitlisted at my alma mater and top choice is kind of a bummer :/

taking a tour should help. btw, what are your numbers if you don't mind sharing?

My stats are on my LSN of the same name.
I'm really hoping for the accept off WL. Called the admissions office today and didn't get too much information regarding the WL. Will most definitely be sending in a LOCI after the tour.

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:30 pm

ATKT765 wrote:
diegoforlan10 wrote:Well I've officially committed to UIUC! They graciously increased my scholarship a second time. I can't believe it. I am SO excited to be in C-U in the fall! Can't wait to meet you all in person.

Now begins the hunt for a roommate/roommates. Anyone here looking into getting a 2 or 3 BR apartment? I'm thinking Windsor West, but I'm open to other options (the village sounds cool). Personally, I'm not trying to drink anywhere near as much as I did in undergrad, but I would like to live with fun people who like to go out occasionally.

Is there a better place to look for future roommates and discuss housing other than this thread? I'm worried that I'm too off-topic. I'll be out of the country until late July so I'm in a kind of tricky situation. Anyway, PM me if you're interested in discussing housing arrangements. I'm trying to lock this all in within the next month or so.

I am totally new to all this, but how do you get them to "graciously increase your scholarship for a second time?" I haven't tried, and it might be too late, but does anyone have any advice about this?

I wrote them a letter (via e-mail) asking them to consider raising my 25% scholarship. At the time I was torn between Illinois and my alma mater state school, but leaning heavily towards my in-state alma mater. I told the adcom how happy I was by UIUC's offer and how badly I wanted to attend, but that the financial burden simply put it outside the realm of possibility. They responded a couple days later offering me a new deal. The second time they raised my scholarship was completely out of the blue and without any action on my part. One day I woke up and found out that they were offering me much more money. I still have no idea why they did it but I'm not going to complain!

There is an EXCELLENT thread around here somewhere describing how to write a good scholarship negotiation letter. I unfortunately can not find it for you right now but a few minutes using the forum search option should turn it up. The basic advice is, be extremely polite, don't act like you are entitled to anything, express your thanks and interest in the school, then describe in detail what your law school options are and why Illinois should grant you more money. I don't know anything, since I don't work in the admissions office, but I'm willing to bet that demanding or begging for more money will get you nowhere.

I know there are a few others in this thread that successfully negotiated for more money, hopefully they'll be willing to post what they did too.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:20 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:
ATKT765 wrote:

I wrote them a letter (via e-mail) asking them to consider raising my 25% scholarship. At the time I was torn between Illinois and my alma mater state school, but leaning heavily towards my in-state alma mater. I told the adcom how happy I was by UIUC's offer and how badly I wanted to attend, but that the financial burden simply put it outside the realm of possibility. They responded a couple days later offering me a new deal. The second time they raised my scholarship was completely out of the blue and without any action on my part. One day I woke up and found out that they were offering me much more money. I still have no idea why they did it but I'm not going to complain!

There is an EXCELLENT thread around here somewhere describing how to write a good scholarship negotiation letter. I unfortunately can not find it for you right now but a few minutes using the forum search option should turn it up. The basic advice is, be extremely polite, don't act like you are entitled to anything, express your thanks and interest in the school, then describe in detail what your law school options are and why Illinois should grant you more money. I don't know anything, since I don't work in the admissions office, but I'm willing to bet that demanding or begging for more money will get you nowhere.

I know there are a few others in this thread that successfully negotiated for more money, hopefully they'll be willing to post what they did too.

They started me out with 5K per year, increased to 25% when I negotiated and I sent another email requesting 33% and got an email back today that they would increase me to 33%.

To be honest, I regret not asking for 50%. By the tone of the email, it sounds like I would have had a shot at it. :lol: I'd ask for 50% if I were you now. It sounds like they low ball you at first and then increase it as much as they need to keep you. But I'm not going to send 3 emails. That seems over the top. I agree with you that you should just be polite. I pretty much told Jenny that Illinois was already my top choice and that it was just about the money. Jenny was great throughout the process, very quick in responding.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:27 pm

I was considering opting out of the school's health insurance, but it says that you will have to be reviewed to get it back if you opt out? I think I'm covered under my parent's plan until 26 (a little over a year left) so I envision a bad scenario where they find something in me getting reviewed and then I'm not covered by anyone.... Might just keep it for that reason, sound like a smart plan?

hoosierball

Postby hoosierball » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:32 pm

givemea170 wrote:I was considering opting out of the school's health insurance, but it says that you will have to be reviewed to get it back if you opt out? I think I'm covered under my parent's plan until 26 (a little over a year left) so I envision a bad scenario where they find something in me getting reviewed and then I'm not covered by anyone.... Might just keep it for that reason, sound like a smart plan?

correct if they have to validate you to get back in, as it is not worth however much money to opt out for one year to be screwed the next

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:14 pm

I love all these success stories. I submitted 2 emails, no success

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:14 pm

I love all these success stories. I submitted 2 emails, no success

tmon

Postby tmon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:24 pm

LST wrote:I know some people were discussing UIUC's fees ($3,591/yr) a while back--I have no idea how far back--but thought I would give an update on the information provided. At http://www.registrar.illinois.edu/financial/tuition_details.html there is a list of all of the fees that are currently refundable, including the
Krannert Fee (KCPA),
Sustainable Campus Environment Fee,
Students for Equal Access to Learning Fee (SEAL),
Legacy of Service and Learning Scholarship Fee (Legacy),
Study Abroad Scholarship Fee (SAS) -- however, the SAS only applies to undergraduates,
Student Organization Resource Fee (SORF),
and the Cultural Programming Fee (CP).

However, "Beginning the Fall 2012 term, this is a new, consolidation of the following student initiated fees. The amount will appear as a single line item on the Student Account and is not refundable." The following fees include the
Cleaner Energy Technologies Fee (CET),
Collegiate Readership Fee,
Cultural Programming Fee (CP),
Krannert Fee (KCPA),
Legacy of Service and Learning Scholarship Fee (Legacy),
Sustainable Campus Environment Fee,
Students for Equal Access to Learning Fee (SEAL),
Student Organization Resource Fee (SORF),
and the Study Abroad Scholarship Fee (SAS) -- however, the SAS only applies to undergraduates.

Takeaway point: beginning in Fall 2012, there is likely little that can be done to change the amount of the student fees outside of opting-out of the student insurance plan.

Wanted to say thanks for this, even though it's on the last page. I was the one talking about it, and that's good info, if somewhat annoying. Not sure why UIUC's fees need to be so much higher than comparable schools. That said, I think I'm close to committing here. Have some other (non-admissions) factors I have to wait on, but if things work out right, I'll probably be in Champaign this fall.

Also, add me to the negotiation success story list. Feel free to PM for details if it'll help.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:02 pm

mattviphky wrote:I love all these success stories. I submitted 2 emails, no success

Same here.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:20 pm

nshapkar wrote:
mattviphky wrote:I love all these success stories. I submitted 2 emails, no success

Same here.

what are your numbers? I feel it has something to do with my 164/3.05.

tmon

Postby tmon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:24 pm

mattviphky wrote:
nshapkar wrote:

Same here.

Having talked to some people who've successfully negotiated here and done it myself, I'd say it's whether they want your numbers AND whether they think you're seriously considering your other options (if any). If they don't want them, or think you're going to go to UIUC regardless they probably aren't going to change much, it seems.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:27 pm

tmon wrote:
mattviphky wrote:
nshapkar wrote:

Same here.

Having talked to some people who've successfully negotiated here and done it myself, I'd say it's whether they want your numbers AND whether they think you're seriously considering your other options (if any). If they don't want them, or think you're going to go to UIUC regardless they probably aren't going to change much, it seems.

I tend to agree with this. I think I was successful on my negotiations because they need an LSAT boost instead of a GPA boost and with my 171/2.9 I'm what they are going to want I think because looking at those graphs on TLS it looks like their average LSAT is lower than in the past. Just regretting my decision to low ball myself and not shoot for 50% still. I feel dumb.

tmon

Postby tmon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:30 pm

givemea170 wrote:I tend to agree with this. I think I was successful on my negotiations because they need an LSAT boost instead of a GPA boost and with my 171/2.9 I'm what they are going to want I think because looking at those graphs on TLS it looks like their average LSAT is lower than in the past. Just regretting my decision to low ball myself and not shoot for 50% still. I feel dumb.

Curious what you mean by "shoot for." Like, you named a dollar amount? I figured they just went by what your other scholarships are. Unless you're just considering a higher ranked school? Feel free to PM if you want to answer, but not have it out in the open.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:37 pm

tmon wrote:
givemea170 wrote:I tend to agree with this. I think I was successful on my negotiations because they need an LSAT boost instead of a GPA boost and with my 171/2.9 I'm what they are going to want I think because looking at those graphs on TLS it looks like their average LSAT is lower than in the past. Just regretting my decision to low ball myself and not shoot for 50% still. I feel dumb.

Curious what you mean by "shoot for." Like, you named a dollar amount? I figured they just went by what your other scholarships are. Unless you're just considering a higher ranked school? Feel free to PM if you want to answer, but not have it out in the open.

I think it has less to do with my other offers and more to do with numbers. To be honest, I never got that amazing offer from another school that could compete with Illinois' 33%. The best offer I had besides that $$ wise is half tuition at Loyola and then the cheapest offer for me was in state Tennessee with $1500 off which made it like 13K a year. Indiana never increased my original low ball 5K offer and WSTL offered me nothing. If I had to do it over again, I'd have applied much earlier to all these schools.

tmon

Postby tmon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:42 pm

Makes sense. I think you really have to believe that they want you and your numbers, and if that's true, make a strong case that you're considering elsewhere either by showing ties or putting down money elsewhere or whatever.

LST

Postby LST » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:46 pm

Last edited by LST on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:48 pm

givemea170 wrote:
I think it has less to do with my other offers and more to do with numbers. To be honest, I never got that amazing offer from another school that could compete with Illinois' 33%. The best offer I had besides that $$ wise is half tuition at Loyola and then the cheapest offer for me was in state Tennessee with $1500 off which made it like 13K a year. Indiana never increased my original low ball 5K offer and WSTL offered me nothing. If I had to do it over again, I'd have applied much earlier to all these schools.

still in disbelief over this

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:48 pm

tmon wrote:

Oh and forgot to answer this, but yes, I did request 33%. At the time, it seemed like a good idea b/c it seemed like a good chance it would be approved since its such a small request, but now that I think about it, even if she said no to asking for 50%, she probably would have countered 33% if I could have done it anyway.

Oh well, a life lesson in negotiation that I can take with me. lol

Oh, and I'm surprised I was bumped up from 5K at all... my LOCI to get off the hold list was basically worded as disguised graveling. I really had no leg to stand on so I'm grateful to go from 8.8% to 33%.
Last edited by givemea170 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:49 pm

mattviphky wrote:
givemea170 wrote:

still in disbelief over this

Do you think they know that I despise Saint Louis?

ATKT765

Postby ATKT765 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:27 am

Thank you so much for the responses about scholarship negotiation. I gave it a shot. We'll see what happens!

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:50 pm

mattviphky wrote:
nshapkar wrote:

Same here.

3.3 GPA, based on what I've seen from other successful negotiation stories, they're more interested in higher LSAT scores than GPA.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”