UIUC 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
diegoforlan10

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby diegoforlan10 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:09 pm

Last edited by diegoforlan10 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:18 pm

station4 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:I have my UIN and Net ID, but when I go into the whole enterprise thing to set up a password, it won't let me do it.

Have you claimed your NetID yet? The process is a little confusing, but first you go to https://netidclaim.uiuc.edu/claim/claim.fcgi Enter all your info in there and these will give you your NetID and you set your NetID password. Then go to Enterprise, where you use your NetID to set up your Enterprise password/account. Then you view your letter in Enterprise.

yep, got it all figured out. thanks!

pat4redick

Postby pat4redick » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:09 pm

Hey guys, I've been following this thread for quite sometime but I've never posted here. I have a question for any who might have some insight. I am from Florida and always been looking to get out of the South. I've spent some time in Chicago and would love to start a life there after law school. Does anyone know the amount of graduates that land a job in the city, not necessarily big law just in general?

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:02 pm

pat4redick wrote:Hey guys, I've been following this thread for quite sometime but I've never posted here. I have a question for any who might have some insight. I am from Florida and always been looking to get out of the South. I've spent some time in Chicago and would love to start a life there after law school. Does anyone know the amount of graduates that land a job in the city, not necessarily big law just in general?

Have you seen this page?:
http://www.law.illinois.edu/career-serv ... yment-data

Similarly, the class of 2009 data is broken down into a more visually digestible form here:
--LinkRemoved--

...sorry, just remembered LST doesn't link well from TLS. To get around this, just copy the URL and paste it into your browser.

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:01 pm

tmon wrote:
pat4redick wrote:Hey guys, I've been following this thread for quite sometime but I've never posted here. I have a question for any who might have some insight. I am from Florida and always been looking to get out of the South. I've spent some time in Chicago and would love to start a life there after law school. Does anyone know the amount of graduates that land a job in the city, not necessarily big law just in general?

Similarly, the class of 2009 data is broken down into a more visually digestible form here:
--LinkRemoved--

...sorry, just remembered LST doesn't link well from TLS. To get around this, just copy the URL and paste it into your browser.

When Illinois breaks down the firms by size, which of those counts as Big Law? Just the 501+ person firms? Or all of the firms over 100? Or something else?

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:14 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:
tmon wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

When Illinois breaks down the firms by size, which of those counts as Big Law? Just the 501+ person firms? Or all of the firms over 100? Or something else?

"Biglaw" is thrown around a lot without a definition, and I think different people use it to mean different things at times. One of the more agreed-upon definitions is firms that make the NLJ250. For NLJ250 comparisons between schools, I'd go here:
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2543436520

And a good resource for looking up firms is:
http://www.nalpdirectory.com/

butifuldisastr

Postby butifuldisastr » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:42 am

Anyone going to ASW on Friday? I will be driving to Champaign tomorrow (flew into Chicago tonight, driving out to the school tomorrow), if anyone wants to meet up tomorrow evening. I'll be checking out the area during the afternoon, but will be free during the evening. Feel free to PM me :)

Hope to see some of you there!

station4

Postby station4 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:58 am

I have a question for any or all of the UIUC students who frequent this board.

When discussing the relative merits of UIUC as opposed to the T2 Chicago schools (LUC/Kent, mostly), I sometimes hear the following argument:

"UIUC is better if you want big law, but with LUC and Kent, you have the ability to network in Chicago year-round, intern/extern at firm/government offices and form the connections you need to get jobs at Chicago outside of big/mid law."

(This is not a straw man. It was put forth this morning in "Choosing a Law School" in the thread "Wisconsin vs. LUC" subbing UW for UIUC, for instance.)

I don't give this argument much weight, but I was wondering if you or any of your fellow students have encountered some truth behind it?

This is not my most articulate post ever, but I think you get the idea.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:14 am

I think the whole 'network year round' thing is something made up by adcoms at those schools. There are a ton of Illinois alums in Chicago and they want to hire Illinois students. They're not going to hire somebody from Loyola just because that student was in the city to take them to coffee or something.

illini22

Postby illini22 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:26 am

station4 wrote:I have a question for any or all of the UIUC students who frequent this board.

When discussing the relative merits of UIUC as opposed to the T2 Chicago schools (LUC/Kent, mostly), I sometimes hear the following argument:

"UIUC is better if you want big law, but with LUC and Kent, you have the ability to network in Chicago year-round, intern/extern at firm/government offices and form the connections you need to get jobs at Chicago outside of big/mid law."

(This is not a straw man. It was put forth this morning in "Choosing a Law School" in the thread "Wisconsin vs. LUC" subbing UW for UIUC, for instance.)

I don't give this argument much weight, but I was wondering if you or any of your fellow students have encountered some truth behind it?

This is not my most articulate post ever, but I think you get the idea.

Even if you can "intern/extern" from those Chicago school, I think that does not mean that a large number of them get jobs out of those opportunities. Most smaller type firms hire after you take and pass the Bar, and even if your connections will help, the U of I name in Chicago just has so much more weight. I say this because of the number of alumni in the market. Say you are working at a midsize firm as an intern, that connection will be valuable, but when half of the partners are U of I graduates, they will likely still hire one of their own over you. Also, with the new "Chicago program" (which we are yet to see how big it will be) that local advantage will be somewhat diminished.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:41 am

illini22 wrote: Also, with the new "Chicago program" (which we are yet to see how big it will be) that local advantage will be somewhat diminished.

Chicago program?

Found this, http://www.law.illinois.edu/news/article/1828 , but do you guys have a little bit more info? The article wasn't specific, at all.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:46 am

Very few law students intern/extern during the school year, anyway. I think you should ask Romo how networking all year worked for him. (Hint: It didn't do much good) I like Romo, so I'm not saying that to be mean, but he wanted a particular market, went to school in that particular market, took lawyers to lunch all the time in that market, got interviews in that market based on grades...where is he working this summer? A different market.

Sure, networking MIGHT help get your resume into someone's hands, but going to lunch with someone isn't going to suddenly make you best friends with them. I called Illinois alums at firms I was interested in and talked to them about their practice. I included that info in my cover letters and brought it up during callbacks. I don't know if it helped me, but that's the only kind of networking most law students do during the year because, as I said earlier, very few actually intern/extern during the academic year. If it helped me, it clearly can be done from Champaign and the whole "City-school networking" thing is a myth propagated by city schools. We also have networking events in the city sprinkled throughout the year anyway where you can meet recruiters and attorneys..I went to those and had a few email conversations with people I met over the following weeks. In this technical age, you don't need to be located in the same city to talk to someone.

In any event, no matter how hard you network, you still need grades and employers are simply more willing to go deeper into the class at Illinois than at the city schools. I don't think any amount of lattes will change that.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:48 am

mattviphky wrote:
illini22 wrote: Also, with the new "Chicago program" (which we are yet to see how big it will be) that local advantage will be somewhat diminished.

Chicago program?

Found this, http://www.law.illinois.edu/news/article/1828 , but do you guys have a little bit more info? The article wasn't specific, at all.

Basically, we're going to offer classes in Chicago. It's starting this summer with a single intersession course taught by Smith but it sounds like the ultimate goal is to give 2 and 3 Ls the opportunity to spend an entire semester or year in Chicago instead of in Champaign. Sounds like a good thing, assuming it really gains traction! So far, though, it's been more PR than action, so no idea when they expect to fully launch it.

station4

Postby station4 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:03 am

Thanks to those that replied. I tended to think it was more or less a myth, but it comes up so often that I wondered if there was actually a sliver of truth to it somewhere.

LST

Postby LST » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:42 am

Last edited by LST on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:25 pm

LST wrote:
mattviphky wrote:

Chicago program?

The career services guy talks about it in a little depth at the Open House, or at least he did at the March 30th event.

Any chance you'd be willing to summarize what he said? They've not said much to current students about it so I'm curious about what they're telling admitted students! ...maybe I'll just sneak into that presentation tomorrow.

LST

Postby LST » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:30 pm

Last edited by LST on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:35 pm

Tried to have my scholarship increased and failed miserably. Regardless, this is where I wanted to go all along and I will send my deposit sometime over the next few days.

ninjaunderwear

Postby ninjaunderwear » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:27 pm

nshapkar wrote:Tried to have my scholarship increased and failed miserably. Regardless, this is where I wanted to go all along and I will send my deposit sometime over the next few days.

How quickly did they respond to your request? Fingers crossed for a scholarship bump here as well.

tmon

Postby tmon » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:46 pm

ninjaunderwear wrote:
nshapkar wrote:Tried to have my scholarship increased and failed miserably. Regardless, this is where I wanted to go all along and I will send my deposit sometime over the next few days.

How quickly did they respond to your request? Fingers crossed for a scholarship bump here as well.

They're pretty quick with that stuff lately. Should respond to the initial request in within a couple days, and not take more than 3-5 more to make the decision. That could make the deposit deadline difficult to navigate, but if you can swing it, it could be worth it to deposit and wait depending on the situation.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:50 pm

ninjaunderwear wrote:

Well I didn't hear back for a few days so I emailed them just to confirm that they received my email. When I emailed them they offered to move it to the top of the stack if its due to a deposit deadline somewhere else. All in all, I received an answer one week from the time I initially sent my request. Kind of sucks because she (Jennifer Carroll) didn't even ask to see the scholarships I received from higher ranked schools.

illini22

Postby illini22 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:56 pm

nshapkar wrote:
ninjaunderwear wrote:

Well I didn't hear back for a few days so I emailed them just to confirm that they received my email. When I emailed them they offered to move it to the top of the stack if its due to a deposit deadline somewhere else. All in all, I received an answer one week from the time I initially sent my request. Kind of sucks because she (Jennifer Carroll) didn't even ask to see the scholarships I received from higher ranked schools.

I really hope that means that they are getting enough seat deposits that they have a good idea of what the class is going to look like and they dont need to bump more people up. I really hope your class is awesome, however, it is hard to imagine this class being anything close to the Class of 2013. Let us pray.

LST

Postby LST » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:56 pm

Last edited by LST on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:08 pm

illini22 wrote:
nshapkar wrote:
ninjaunderwear wrote:

I really hope that means that they are getting enough seat deposits that they have a good idea of what the class is going to look like and they dont need to bump more people up. I really hope your class is awesome, however, it is hard to imagine this class being anything close to the Class of 2013. Let us pray.

What's so special about the c/o 2013?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:16 pm

nshapkar wrote:
illini22 wrote:

What's so special about the c/o 2013?

Nothing. We just had higher LSATs and GPAs than the class of 2014. I think (hopefully) all she meant was that this years class probably won't have medians as high as the class of 2013 did but she is praying they will because the lower the class' medians are the lower our ranking could drop.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”