UIUC 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
illini22

New

Re: UIUC 2015

Post by illini22 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:08 pm

tmon wrote:
blurbz wrote:Illinois announced their "Chicago Program" yesterday...I'm underwhelmed but curious about what others think. My first reaction: It's more PR than substance, especially since we've offered intersession classes in Chicago for a while. Either way, having a stronger continued presence in the city is a good thing.
So, based on the write-up, it's just a 2 credit class that takes place in Chicago over the summer? Or is there more to it that they've concretely announced, other than "additional courses and events"?
From what I have heard, the program in "new" is not just an extension of the winter courses, the idea is that they want 2Ls and 3Ls to have the option of spending a full year in Chicago. Of course, the number of classes will be limited, but it will be enough for people to have a full amount of credits. This is actually being pushed by career services as they want more people doing internships/working while in law school.

I personally think this will be great as the best way to get mid-size/small firm will be to be physically there.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:07 pm

For those waitlisted or still on hold I'll be withdrawing later this week. Sucks since I strongly considered U.I.U.C but was offered a better deal at another school. Best of luck to those going there this fall.

northside

Bronze

Post by northside » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:28 pm

This Chicago thing honestly just swayed me away from IU B

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:35 pm

illini22 wrote:
tmon wrote:
blurbz wrote:Illinois announced their "Chicago Program" yesterday...I'm underwhelmed but curious about what others think. My first reaction: It's more PR than substance, especially since we've offered intersession classes in Chicago for a while. Either way, having a stronger continued presence in the city is a good thing.
So, based on the write-up, it's just a 2 credit class that takes place in Chicago over the summer? Or is there more to it that they've concretely announced, other than "additional courses and events"?
From what I have heard, the program in "new" is not just an extension of the winter courses, the idea is that they want 2Ls and 3Ls to have the option of spending a full year in Chicago. Of course, the number of classes will be limited, but it will be enough for people to have a full amount of credits. This is actually being pushed by career services as they want more people doing internships/working while in law school.

I personally think this will be great as the best way to get mid-size/small firm will be to be physically there.

I really hope you're right because after how many times he mentioned it in his "I'm sorry about the scandal/ranking" email series, I was expecting more. Do you have a citation to something outlining the full-year plan? I'm excited to learn more about it than what Smith said in yesterday's email.

hoosierball

New

Post by hoosierball » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:12 pm

I don't think this would sway me from another school. It won't have any effect on how the school does in it's home market and it is just another way for them to put another fee (I am sure this program comes with a hearty fee) on students. The link to the Chicago market is very strong and wouldn't make me come here over the other schools I am considering. Other factors yes, this unproven program that won't really do anything, no

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Maybe a dumb question but is there anyway to apply and be successfully approved for a student loan where the proceeds go directly to the school? I'd like to build some credit and just use the loan amounts for moving expenses and what not but I can't seem to be accepted for a loan without proof of income, which I do not have.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:54 pm

givemea170 wrote:Maybe a dumb question but is there anyway to apply and be successfully approved for a student loan where the proceeds go directly to the school? I'd like to build some credit and just use the loan amounts for moving expenses and what not but I can't seem to be accepted for a loan without proof of income, which I do not have.
Why not just use FAFSA?

You really want to get a variable rate loan instead of a fixed rate loan just to build credit? That sounds like a tremendously risky and potentially expensive plan...

illini22

New

Post by illini22 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:58 pm

hoosierball wrote:I don't think this would sway me from another school. It won't have any effect on how the school does in it's home market and it is just another way for them to put another fee (I am sure this program comes with a hearty fee) on students. The link to the Chicago market is very strong and wouldn't make me come here over the other schools I am considering. Other factors yes, this unproven program that won't really do anything, no

ude, if you got into Chicago or Northwester (while many people in my class turned both down to come here with money), I personally would take it. However, being physically in Chicago and having "strong ties to a market" are VERY different things. Nothing beats you actually knowing, talking, and working as intern for an organization. I mean, I dont think it will help much for "big firm" but for small/midsize firms enough that do not do OCI (there are NLJ firms that do not do OCI), I think it will make a significant difference for that segment of hiring. Why do you think every school that is physically located in a city does better than their actual ranking (aka, Cardozo in NYC, SMU, even in Chicago, those other chicago law schools get their jobs from those mid-size/small firms).

U of I law tried once in the 90s to actually go fully to Chicago, and the John Marshall, Kent, Depaul, lobby the legislature to stop it. Why? because most people outside of the top 1/3 that completely shut out of OCI will likely be taken these jobs from them.

All I have heard a lot about the program (beyond what was on the email) but unless I see it on paper (or email) I am skeptical as of when it will actually happen. Regardless, even if this didnt do jack shit for the school, I am sure a lot of people would love to live their last year in Chicago where they have family, spouses, a special someone, than to spend it here. Shit, I would do it so I can have fun my third year.

PS: I really hope you do not end up in Indiana... Love the school, but even during the good years their placement was the worst of any peer school.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:28 pm

blurbz wrote:
givemea170 wrote:Maybe a dumb question but is there anyway to apply and be successfully approved for a student loan where the proceeds go directly to the school? I'd like to build some credit and just use the loan amounts for moving expenses and what not but I can't seem to be accepted for a loan without proof of income, which I do not have.
Why not just use FAFSA?

You really want to get a variable rate loan instead of a fixed rate loan just to build credit? That sounds like a tremendously risky and potentially expensive plan...
I have a lot of research I need to do. Direct plus loans seem like the no brainer choice now that I have read a little about them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:32 pm

givemea170 wrote:
blurbz wrote:
Why not just use FAFSA?

I have a lot of research I need to do. Direct plus loans seem like the no brainer choice now that I have read a little about them.

Yeah, I really think they're the way to go (It's what I did, at least). I understand that private interest rates are low right now (3-5%) which looks really good because Directloan rates are something like 6-8% depending on the type, but the private rates are likely variable which means they could go considerably higher while the fed loans are fixed so they won't. I know some people who are rolling the dice with the private loans but I'm risk averse enough that it's really a no-brainer for me.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:33 pm

givemea170 wrote:
blurbz wrote:
Why not just use FAFSA?

Fill out FAFSA, and do it ASAP. I did mine over a month ago so I'm not sure what the deadline is, but it may be approaching or could potentially delay your financial aid letter.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:04 am

tmon wrote:
givemea170 wrote:
blurbz wrote:
Why not just use FAFSA?

Fill out FAFSA, and do it ASAP. I did mine over a month ago so I'm not sure what the deadline is, but it may be approaching or could potentially delay your financial aid letter.
I just filled it out. The Illinois websites says the preferential deadline is March 15th... yikes. Wondering what I should do about that.

But I have a question that someone in this thread might know... I need only about 10-15K in living expenses... will I even have to apply for a direct plus loan or can I take the 10-15K out of the 20,500 that will be available to me since my parents are paying the part of my tuition that scholarship doesn't cover?

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:06 am

You can accept however much you need. I don't accept all I'm eligible for every year. Sounds like you'll be able to do it all out of the subsidized loans, which is the way to go if you can swing it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:09 am

blurbz wrote:You can accept however much you need. I don't accept all I'm eligible for every year. Sounds like you'll be able to do it all out of the subsidized loans, which is the way to go if you can swing it.
Definitely what I want to hear. My undergrad was completely paid by scholarships so I'm not used to this process. Am I correct in understanding this in that if my parents pay off the remainder of my tuition amount that I'll probably have $20,500 available to take out with the subsidized loans for living expenses?

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:12 am

Yep.

It'd be easier to just take the loans you'll need to cover school expenses and have your parents write YOU a check instead of having the bank and your parents write a check to the school and then have the school refund the money to you.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:13 am

Actually, everything is unsubsidized now. New starting this year. Basically you're allocated 20,500 in unsub'd staffords and beyond that you have to do gradplus which is at 7.9% instead of 6.1 or whatever stafford is.
Last edited by tmon on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:15 am

Well that sucks. Still, take out the bare minimum to cover your school expenses and have your parents write a check to you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:17 am

blurbz wrote:Yep.

It'd be easier to just take the loans you'll need to cover school expenses and have your parents write YOU a check instead of having the bank and your parents write a check to the school and then have the school refund the money to you.
I suggested that to them and they didn't like the idea of writing a check to me for me to spend on god knows what. They are illogical but I won't be too upset at someone handing me money for no reason.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:17 am

blurbz wrote:Well that sucks. Still, take out the bare minimum to cover your school expenses and have your parents write a check to you.
Yeah, if anything that emphasizes the "take only what you need" aspect. I'll probably be in a similar situation to giveme, and had a convo with parents the other day that somehow turned into them telling me all the horror stories of students back in the day who took out the maximum they could in loans and got screwed. I guess times have changed or something, because that just seems objectively idiotic.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:19 am

Ouch, yeah. Definitely take out the minimum. I'm in a similar situation to you guys and I go over my budget every year when looking at my loans to make sure that I take out only what I absolutely need. Any more and it's just costing me money I don't need to spend.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:26 am

I assumed you guys all filled out your FAFSA's on time... how long after you did that did they tell you how much you qualified for? I think I may just take out more than I need simply so I don't have to worry about money period.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:29 am

givemea170 wrote:I assumed you guys all filled out your FAFSA's on time... how long after you did that did they tell you how much you qualified for?
Just looked it up. Pretty sure everyone gets 20,500 in unsub'd staffors per year. Anything beyond that is GradPlus, which I'm not sure of the limit on, but it sounds like that shouldn't make a difference for you. Either way, I think the schools individually give you your federal loan breakdown, so it's just a matter of UIUC getting theirs out. Which they haven't, so far.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:33 am

tmon wrote:
givemea170 wrote:I assumed you guys all filled out your FAFSA's on time... how long after you did that did they tell you how much you qualified for?
Just looked it up. Pretty sure everyone gets 20,500 in unsub'd staffors per year. Anything beyond that is GradPlus, which I'm not sure of the limit on, but it sounds like that shouldn't make a difference for you. Either way, I think the schools individually give you your federal loan breakdown, so it's just a matter of UIUC getting theirs out. Which they haven't, so far.
Gotcha. Glad I'm actually figuring some of this stuff out. I feel like the most clueless person on all this stuff at times. :lol:

I'll feel better when we get our log in stuff from UIUC and can see whats actually going in without our accounts.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:00 am

Recommendations for stuff to do/see on Saturday before I head back home? ...is there anything to do? :lol:

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:02 am

tmon wrote:Recommendations for stuff to do/see on Saturday before I head back home? ...is there anything to do? :lol:
You're in Champaign?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”