UIUC 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nshapkar

Gold

Re: UIUC 2015

Post by nshapkar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:17 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
nshapkar wrote:
illini22 wrote:
I really hope that means that they are getting enough seat deposits that they have a good idea of what the class is going to look like and they dont need to bump more people up. I really hope your class is awesome, however, it is hard to imagine this class being anything close to the Class of 2013. Let us pray.
What's so special about the c/o 2013?
Nothing. We just had higher LSATs and GPAs than the class of 2014. I think (hopefully) all she meant was that this years class probably won't have medians as high as the class of 2013 did but she is praying they will because the lower the class' medians are the lower our ranking could drop.

Ahh I see. For which class(es) were the medians artificially raised?

illini22

New

Post by illini22 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:18 pm

illini22 wrote:
nshapkar wrote:
ninjaunderwear wrote:
nshapkar wrote:Tried to have my scholarship increased and failed miserably. Regardless, this is where I wanted to go all along and I will send my deposit sometime over the next few days.
How quickly did they respond to your request? Fingers crossed for a scholarship bump here as well.
I really hope that means that they are getting enough seat deposits that they have a good idea of what the class is going to look like and they dont need to bump more people up. I really hope your class is awesome, however, it is hard to imagine this class being anything close to the Class of 2013. Let us pray.
What's so special about the c/o 2013?
I dont mean to say that the other classes arent smart, I was mostly referring for ranking purposes, but look at the class profile

Class LSAT Score GPA Acceptance Rate
2014 156/163/168 3.38/3.70/3.85 20%
2013 163/167/168 3.3/3.6/3.8 25%
2012 160/165/167 3.2/3.7/3.9 37%
2011 159/165/166 3.13/3.55/3.78 29%

Edit, while I do agree that rankings dont matter that much, I do like the idea of going to a "top 25 or 30" law school. Top 35 doesnt have the same ring to it
Last edited by illini22 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:23 pm

illini22 wrote: I dont mean to say that the other classes arent smart, I was mostly referring for ranking purposes, but look at the class profile

Class LSAT Score GPA Acceptance Rate
2014 156/163/168 3.38/3.70/3.85 20%
2013 163/167/168 3.3/3.6/3.8 25%
2012 160/165/167 3.2/3.7/3.9 37%
2011 159/165/166 3.13/3.55/3.78 29%
God damn. And I didn't take offense or anything along those lines, I was just curious.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:26 pm

Sorry I was wrong before, class of 2013 only had a higher LSAT median not GPA. It had been awhile since I looked at the numbers

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:07 pm

Went to the ASD yesterday, and loved it. The faculty, and the students were very nice and informative. Dean Smith seemed like a very engaging. These are the sorts of things you can get at many schools, so i won't harp on all that stuff. I'll kinda just highlight the issues that were more specific to UIUC's program. First and foremost, the issue we are all thinking about (or should be): JOBS. The ASD had a pretty good itinerary, and one of the speakers was the head of Career Services. He wasn't the detached academic that i was expecting, in fact, he made a point of saying that Dean Smith had went out and recruited him from private practice. I think he said he was at Winston Strawn for 14 years. He is actually based in Chicago, and pretty much meets with Chicago firms a great deal in order to perpetuate the Illinois brand. He also flies to many cities in order to make connections for the benefit of future students. It's kinda nice knowing that there is this proselytizing Career services director, out there in the world spreading the good word about Illinois before you send off resumes. His team is also pretty similar to him in terms of background, but I think they are on campus. Throughout his presentation, he was very straight forward about career stats. I thought he would paint a very rosy picture, but he was actually much more real than I thought he would be. For instance, he was very candid about firm salaries, citing the big jump in salaries from 98-04, and what that means in today's market. He also showed us how many jobs the class of 2011 were able to get, and in what field. He said that 2011 was probably hit the most hard as a result of the recession, and then showed us class of 2012, which showed some improvement. He seemed pretty objective about all the info, a quality that I definitely appreciated. I would actually feel more anxious about UIUC if he had just made everything seem so rosy, since that sort of unbridled optimism sort of reeks of desperation. But his message was really direct, and actually puts me at ease about attending UIUC.

Another thing I liked (but others may not), was just how INVOLVED Illinois is with the Chicago market. It seemed like there was such a strong tie to Chicago, that it was almost not worth mentioning. During the career services presentation, and throughout many discussions, the themed seemed to be something like "Well, of course we have great placement in Chicago, but let's talk about Texas and New York!" I found it cool that they were ambitious to go into other markets. I guess they also could be trying to portray the school as being very national, but they weren't espousing how good they do in coastal markets, more like, how they are doing a good job in trying to plant a strong foothold in those regions. Still, I suppose it is common knowledge that they have strong ties to Chicago, but I thought they would talk about it a little bit more in detail.

Another observation that struck me was the great diversity of the student body. Not just racial, but also geographical. I met many people from Cali, NY, Texas, all over the midwest (of course), and from a few other places. Everyone seemed nice, and very mature. The situation seems to be that many students are also older than I expected. I'm only a year out of undergrad, so I'm relatively young for an incoming law student, but I thought that there would be many more K-JD types. I like having an older class, I think it will bring more professionalism, and even collegiality among peers. Can't wait for football, either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:15 pm

mattviphky wrote:Went to the ASD yesterday, and loved it. The faculty, and the students were very nice and informative. Dean Smith seemed like a very engaging. These are the sorts of things you can get at many schools, so i won't harp on all that stuff. I'll kinda just highlight the issues that were more specific to UIUC's program. First and foremost, the issue we are all thinking about (or should be): JOBS. The ASD had a pretty good itinerary, and one of the speakers was the head of Career Services. He wasn't the detached academic that i was expecting, in fact, he made a point of saying that Dean Smith had went out and recruited him from private practice. I think he said he was at Winston Strawn for 14 years. He is actually based in Chicago, and pretty much meets with Chicago firms a great deal in order to perpetuate the Illinois brand. He also flies to many cities in order to make connections for the benefit of future students. It's kinda nice knowing that there is this proselytizing Career services director, out there in the world spreading the good word about Illinois before you send off resumes. His team is also pretty similar to him in terms of background, but I think they are on campus. Throughout his presentation, he was very straight forward about career stats. I thought he would paint a very rosy picture, but he was actually much more real than I thought he would be. For instance, he was very candid about firm salaries, citing the big jump in salaries from 98-04, and what that means in today's market. He also showed us how many jobs the class of 2011 were able to get, and in what field. He said that 2011 was probably hit the most hard as a result of the recession, and then showed us class of 2012, which showed some improvement. He seemed pretty objective about all the info, a quality that I definitely appreciated. I would actually feel more anxious about UIUC if he had just made everything seem so rosy, since that sort of unbridled optimism sort of reeks of desperation. But his message was really direct, and actually puts me at ease about attending UIUC.

Another thing I liked (but others may not), was just how INVOLVED Illinois is with the Chicago market. It seemed like there was such a strong tie to Chicago, that it was almost not worth mentioning. During the career services presentation, and throughout many discussions, the themed seemed to be something like "Well, of course we have great placement in Chicago, but let's talk about Texas and New York!" I found it cool that they were ambitious to go into other markets. I guess they also could be trying to portray the school as being very national, but they weren't espousing how good they do in coastal markets, more like, how they are doing a good job in trying to plant a strong foothold in those regions. Still, I suppose it is common knowledge that they have strong ties to Chicago, but I thought they would talk about it a little bit more in detail.

Another observation that struck me was the great diversity of the student body. Not just racial, but also geographical. I met many people from Cali, NY, Texas, all over the midwest (of course), and from a few other places. Everyone seemed nice, and very mature. The situation seems to be that many students are also older than I expected. I'm only a year out of undergrad, so I'm relatively young for an incoming law student, but I thought that there would be many more K-JD types. I like having an older class, I think it will bring more professionalism, and even collegiality among peers. Can't wait for football, either.
Thank you for sharing. I won't be able to go to an ASD so this was really helpful.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:17 pm

btw, campus is very lovely, and the town is nice, too. I've been to a lot of college towns that are just dumps, but CU seems really beautiful. The law building itself is very...functional. It has everything you could want, and has some aesthetic quality as well. However, I did visit ND and wustl before UIUC, and those are tough schools to follow in regard to law buildings...seeing as how both ND and Wustl are in castles. But Illinois still has a nice building, and probably is better than most schools in terms of both functionality and beauty.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:54 pm

tmon wrote:Yeah, that was easily one of the most complicated things I've dealt with in admissions. I'm not even sure I could explain all the steps to people. Good luck and godspeed, friends. :lol:
I've been in california for almost 2 weeks without a computer and was able to do the whole process on my phone. So it couldn't be that hard because I'm not very computer savvy. :lol:

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:08 pm

Just sent my last attempt at a negotiation after finally finding a computer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LST

New

Post by LST » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:48 pm

Last edited by LST on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thatjuanguy

New

Post by thatjuanguy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:46 am

This might be a really stupid question/I don't understand all the data... but how come the most recent NLJ 250 placement data says ~32% of UIUC's class will go to a NLJ 250 firm/clerkship yet people in this thread are saying that you need to be top 10% or better to get a call back to one of the big Chicago firms?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:52 am

thatjuanguy wrote:This might be a really stupid question/I don't understand all the data... but how come the most recent NLJ 250 placement data says ~32% of UIUC's class will go to a NLJ 250 firm/clerkship yet people in this thread are saying that you need to be top 10% or better to get a call back to one of the big Chicago firms?
Link? The number I saw for class of 2011 said 11%

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:58 am

How do I opt out of the student insurance plan and how much will that cut off $$$? Thanks for a quick answer. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:07 am

givemea170 wrote:How do I opt out of the student insurance plan and how much will that cut off $$$? Thanks for a quick answer. :)
I dont know how you do it exactly but i know you show somebody proof that you have other insurance and I think you save around $200 bucks.

thatjuanguy

New

Post by thatjuanguy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:54 am

Sorry the 32% included clerkships.

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:39 am

Anybody know when orientation 2012 will be?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:15 am

thatjuanguy wrote:Sorry the 32% included clerkships.
I haven't seen that data, but 20% of grads having clerkships seems really high. My guess is that the 32% number includes non-Article III clerkships, in which case it's not a very relevant stat. Having a state clerkship isn't on the same level as biglaw or an ArtIII clerkship.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:25 am

diegoforlan10 wrote:Anybody know when orientation 2012 will be?
Aug 22 – 24

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:36 am

givemea170 wrote:How do I opt out of the student insurance plan and how much will that cut off $$$? Thanks for a quick answer. :)
http://www.si.uiuc.edu/Howto/RequestanE ... fault.aspx

It takes off $310/semester.

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:26 pm

Well I've officially committed to UIUC! They graciously increased my scholarship a second time. I can't believe it. I am SO excited to be in C-U in the fall! Can't wait to meet you all in person.

Now begins the hunt for a roommate/roommates. Anyone here looking into getting a 2 or 3 BR apartment? I'm thinking Windsor West, but I'm open to other options (the village sounds cool). Personally, I'm not trying to drink anywhere near as much as I did in undergrad, but I would like to live with fun people who like to go out occasionally.

Is there a better place to look for future roommates and discuss housing other than this thread? I'm worried that I'm too off-topic. I'll be out of the country until late July so I'm in a kind of tricky situation. Anyway, PM me if you're interested in discussing housing arrangements. I'm trying to lock this all in within the next month or so.

station4

New

Post by station4 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:38 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:Well I've officially committed to UIUC!
+1.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:08 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:Well I've officially committed to UIUC! They graciously increased my scholarship a second time. I can't believe it. I am SO excited to be in C-U in the fall! Can't wait to meet you all in person.

Now begins the hunt for a roommate/roommates. Anyone here looking into getting a 2 or 3 BR apartment? I'm thinking Windsor West, but I'm open to other options (the village sounds cool). Personally, I'm not trying to drink anywhere near as much as I did in undergrad, but I would like to live with fun people who like to go out occasionally.

Is there a better place to look for future roommates and discuss housing other than this thread? I'm worried that I'm too off-topic. I'll be out of the country until late July so I'm in a kind of tricky situation. Anyway, PM me if you're interested in discussing housing arrangements. I'm trying to lock this all in within the next month or so.
I sent a request to get a second increase. Hope I have as much luck as you!

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:30 pm

This is probably a dumb question, but how do I log into my account? I set it all up on my phone like the enterprise ID and passwords and all of that, but now I can't really find a place to log back in and look at it again...

Also, it said something about debt counseling? How do I satisfy that requirement?

gtrs09

New

Post by gtrs09 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:07 pm

post removed.
Last edited by gtrs09 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:44 pm

Scheduled a tour of the college for next Friday.
Does anyone know what I can expect in terms of the class and the meeting?
Being waitlisted at my alma mater and top choice is kind of a bummer :/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”