UIUC 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
blurbz

Silver

Re: UIUC 2015

Post by blurbz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:29 pm

givemea170 wrote:Figures I get in now off the wait-list at Notre Dame.
Congrats. What are you thinking you'll do? How does the cost compare? If you want Chicago, Illinois is probably the better choice (assuming costs are equal) and it's definitely the better choice if it's cheaper. These are peer schools in every sense of the word: Barring geographic preferences, the cheaper option is probably the best.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:38 pm

blurbz wrote:
Congrats. What are you thinking you'll do? How does the cost compare? If you want Chicago, Illinois is probably the better choice (assuming costs are equal) and it's definitely the better choice if it's cheaper. These are peer schools in every sense of the word: Barring geographic preferences, the cheaper option is probably the best.
I am still leaning heavily towards Illinois. But I would like to see what scholarship offer ND will give me (if any).

So you think Illinois places better in Chicago than Notre Dame? I'm scrambling to find all of this information on Notre Dame as we speak actually.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:46 pm

Illinois places better in Chicago than ND but it could be self selection. ND tends to have a more national rep and student body. We had more Chicago firms at our OCI though. In terms of overall placement the schools are basically the definition of peers. I'd go to whichever is cheaper.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:51 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Illinois places better in Chicago than ND but it could be self selection. ND tends to have a more national rep and student body. We had more Chicago firms at our OCI though. In terms of overall placement the schools are basically the definition of peers. I'd go to whichever is cheaper.
I'm not sure if I can get a 33% or higher scholarship from ND so it'll probably be UIUC that is cheaper.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Congrats! I hope you stay the course towards Illinois, though. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:57 pm

mattviphky wrote:
The email I got 10 seconds ago just assured I'd be at Illinois.

'--------,

I am happy to hear you are excited by this opportunity. At this part of our process, our scholarship funds have been allocated. It is unlikely that we would be able to offer you scholarship as an incoming student. '
Last edited by givemea170 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:12 pm

givemea170 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:
The email I got 10 seconds ago just assured I'd be at Illinois.

'Michael,

I am happy to hear you are excited by this opportunity. At this part of our process, our scholarship funds have been allocated. It is unlikely that we would be able to offer you scholarship as an incoming student. '

That's exactly why the two schools I was wait listed at I immediately withdrew.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:48 pm

True. Notre Dame is an excellent school but it doesn't make sense with no scholarship offer to turn down a similar school with a 33% scholarhip.

robocall12

New

Post by robocall12 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:38 pm

I received the email survey asking about continued interest in Illinois for waitlisted folks. Figured I better start preparing to give them an answer should I somehow get an invite in the next few days.

My question for anyone that might know is what the likelihood of getting in-state tuition is after the first year? Are there any exceptions or ways to make a stronger case for in-state? I am thinking about things like working for the University, having a spouse that is employed in Illinois and providing financial support (having arrived with me, and has the same job working from the home office).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Thu May 03, 2012 3:40 pm

robocall12 wrote:I received the email survey asking about continued interest in Illinois for waitlisted folks. Figured I better start preparing to give them an answer should I somehow get an invite in the next few days.

My question for anyone that might know is what the likelihood of getting in-state tuition is after the first year? Are there any exceptions or ways to make a stronger case for in-state? I am thinking about things like working for the University, having a spouse that is employed in Illinois and providing financial support (having arrived with me, and has the same job working from the home office).
Totally anecdotal, but I've heard it's tough unless you're married to an Illinois resident or moved to Illinois for a reason other than school

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu May 03, 2012 3:45 pm

Getting instate tuition is tricky but theoretically not impossible. You can't obtain instate if you came to Illinois solely for the purpose of education. But if you marry an Illinois resident, then you become a resident. So if your spouse comes with you and works for a year then they can establish residency and you will become a resident. My GF came with me to Illinois and she became a resident after a year (goes to school here now at resident tuition rate), and if we got married my understanding is that I would become a resident as well. I might have to argue that she did not come here for the purposes of education, even though she only moved here because I came for law school, but I'm not sure how strict they are about that requirement. They certainly didn't question her on it when she applied for instate tuition last fall.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Mon May 07, 2012 2:38 am

To those of us faithfully remained on the waitlist,

The email Directer Carroll sent out last week to people on the waitlist asked applicants not to send in additional information unless they asked for it, so what do we do now? I would commit to UIUC without hesitation if they ring my phone, but being on the waitlist, that call may never come, just wondering how is everyone handling this, I suppose praying is always an option, but anything more constructive that we can do in the mean time?

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Mon May 07, 2012 4:01 am

kyle010723 wrote:To those of us faithfully remained on the waitlist,

The email Directer Carroll sent out last week to people on the waitlist asked applicants not to send in additional information unless they asked for it, so what do we do now? I would commit to UIUC without hesitation if they ring my phone, but being on the waitlist, that call may never come, just wondering how is everyone handling this, I suppose praying is always an option, but anything more constructive that we can do in the mean time?
Pray harder. Have you sent an LOCI?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Mon May 07, 2012 6:33 am

nshapkar wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:To those of us faithfully remained on the waitlist,

Pray harder. Have you sent an LOCI?
Seems like he would have sent a LOCI if it weren't for the e-mail Jenny Carroll sent out last week asking them not to send additional info unless requested.
Last edited by diegoforlan10 on Mon May 07, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:19 am

diegoforlan10 wrote:Seems like he would sent a LOCI if it weren't for the e-mail Jenny Carroll sent out last week asking them not to send additional info unless requested.
I sent my LOCI prior to receiving her email; it just gets quite stressful knowing your future is on the line, but you were asked to sit on your hands.

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:06 am

kyle010723 wrote: I sent my LOCI prior to receiving her email; it just gets quite stressful knowing your future is on the line, but you were asked to sit on your hands.
Oh man that's rough, I feel for you. I'm still on the waitlist for a few schools too but I prefer Illinois to all of them. Must be rough having your number one choice playing hard to get with you. Have you visited the school? Outside of sending a LOCI I think the best thing you can do is go there in person and physically meet the admissions people.
Last edited by diegoforlan10 on Mon May 07, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:43 am

Yea... It is a little disheartening, but waitlist is better than straight out rejection, so there's still hope at least.

I've been to U of I plenty of times, but never an official visit to the law school. It's funny cause I planned on doing that, but the email specifically listed visit as one of the "don't"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Mon May 07, 2012 1:20 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:
kyle010723 wrote: I sent my LOCI prior to receiving her email; it just gets quite stressful knowing your future is on the line, but you were asked to sit on your hands.
Oh man that's rough, I feel for you. I'm still on the waitlist for a few schools too but I prefer Illinois to all of them. Must be rough having your number one choice playing hard to get with you. Have you visited the school? Outside of sending a LOCI I think the best thing you can do go there in person and physically meet the admissions people.
I'm in the same boat. UIUC is my top choice and has been since before I even began my cycle... (UIUC alumnus here)
I sent a LOCI and visited but they pretty much told me exactly what was in the email. Though, I did love the tour and got to sit in on a great civ pro class which made for an enjoyable afternoon.
Not sure if it is a good thing that I got the LOCI and visit in before that email but I am intent on riding this wait list out to the end of the earth and should I not get in, I will be retaking in October and applying again, as disheartening as a WL rejection would be.

(ps: likewise, I have been praying everyday for good news :roll: )

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Mon May 07, 2012 1:27 pm

ashen wrote:
diegoforlan10 wrote:
Oh man that's rough, I feel for you. I'm still on the waitlist for a few schools too but I prefer Illinois to all of them. Must be rough having your number one choice playing hard to get with you. Have you visited the school? Outside of sending a LOCI I think the best thing you can do go there in person and physically meet the admissions people.
I'm in the same boat. UIUC is my top choice and has been since before I even began my cycle... (UIUC alumnus here)
I sent a LOCI and visited but they pretty much told me exactly what was in the email. Though, I did love the tour and got to sit in on a great civ pro class which made for an enjoyable afternoon.
I am intent on riding this wait list out to the end of the earth and should I not get in, I will be retaking in October and applying again, as disheartening as a WL rejection would be.

(ps: likewise, I have been praying everyday for good news :roll: )
Keep your head up. I was rejected last cycle at Illinois and many other schools so I decided to take the year off to retake and reapply. My GPA didn't change much but my LSAT did and I got into Illinois with money. Of course it is a hard decision to make if it comes down to it (and I hope you make it in off the waitlist), but at the same time it can be beneficial in the long run.

However, the rules they lay out (don't email, don't call, don't visit, simply put: FUCK OFF) are kind of ridiculous and take away any opportunity you might have to convince them to accept you, off the table.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Mon May 07, 2012 1:33 pm

How did they phrase the "don't call, don't visit" etc. rules/suggestions? I'm kind of annoyed that they'd tell people considering the school not to bother....

I understand that it may not help, and I understand that it may take more time from admissions, but it just feels wrong to me to tell people not to bother reaching out. As a current student, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Mon May 07, 2012 1:37 pm

blurbz wrote:How did they phrase the "don't call, don't visit" etc. rules/suggestions? I'm kind of annoyed that they'd tell people considering the school not to bother....

I understand that it may not help, and I understand that it may take more time from admissions, but it just feels wrong to me to tell people not to bother reaching out. As a current student, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Maybe they want to see who will not listen to instructions because they so badly want to come to Illinois?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Mon May 07, 2012 1:38 pm

blurbz wrote:How did they phrase the "don't call, don't visit" etc. rules/suggestions? I'm kind of annoyed that they'd tell people considering the school not to bother....

I would just ctrl-v the portion that indicated the suggestions but to be fair, the "rules" would seem harsher without the whole email present so here you go:
I am writing to provide you with an update on the admissions process at the University of Illinois College of Law and the status of the waitlist.  We had a very positive response to the first deposit deadline, but we still will be making a few offers from the waitlist in the next couple of days.  The law school admission process is a very dynamic one, with changes occurring almost daily. Admission offers to applicants on the waitlist can occur at any time throughout the summer months, including just days before 1L Orientation in August. There are specific times when we anticipate seeing the most activity off the waitlist—after the first seat deposit and after the second deposit (which is June 1).  Applicants should also be aware that the waitlist is not ranked and that students are selected from it with regard to how well they will complement the profile of the incoming class.

At this time, please let us know if you would like to remain on the waitlist or not by completing this brief survey.    

Applicants on the waitlist often ask if there is anything additional that they can do (e.g. campus visits, letters of continued interest, and additional letters of recommendation) to enhance their applications. Unless something has happened that significantly impacts your application, please be assured that at this point we have all the information we need to make a decision. If we require additional information, we will contact you.  If you wish to confirm your continued interest in Illinois and remain on the waitlist, simply complete the survey linked above. 

If you elect to remain on the waitlist, we appreciate your continued interest in Illinois and continued patience with this process.  If you do not wish to remain on the list, we will withdraw your application and thank you for considering Illinois among your choices for law school.
Last edited by ashen on Mon May 07, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Mon May 07, 2012 1:43 pm

givemea170 wrote:

Maybe they want to see who will not listen to instructions because they so badly want to come to Illinois?
In this case, I've already committed two of the listed "no-nos"
:|

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Mon May 07, 2012 1:48 pm

Okay, that's less offensive than I'd imagined. Doesn't sound like they're saying not to visit or something if that would help you make up your mind, they're just clarifying that it won't help them make up their mind. Sounds fair.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Mon May 07, 2012 2:09 pm

blurbz wrote:Okay, that's less offensive than I'd imagined. Doesn't sound like they're saying not to visit or something if that would help you make up your mind, they're just clarifying that it won't help them make up their mind. Sounds fair.
Perhaps it's fair, but I made up my mind knowing Illinois is my dream school, the question is how to sell yourself to them without contacting. This is the only school I'm waitlisted at that has a "don't call us, we'll call you" policy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”