UIUC 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mattviphky

Silver

Re: UIUC 2015

Post by mattviphky » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:33 pm

btw384 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:
Mizz wrote:Can someone tell me what the first deposit amount is? Still waiting for my admit packet via mail.
I think you meant that it is due on April 20, but the amount is $500. Just trying to clear up any confusion.
yep

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:10 pm

btw384 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:
Mizz wrote:Can someone tell me what the first deposit amount is? Still waiting for my admit packet via mail.
I think you meant that it is due on April 20, but the amount is $500. Just trying to clear up any confusion.

edit: Scooped. Also, obligatory 420 Bob clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc1A6i1os8c).

hahahaha he doesn't even come off as a stoner

monkeysez

New

Post by monkeysez » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:50 pm

Paid my seat deposit today! Looking forward to seeing you all in the fall.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:56 pm

Any ideas on how Illinois will raise its rank next year? Obviously they'll try to get higher numbers, but that is only part of the metric. What steps are they taking to satisfy the other components of the USNWR formula? I'm just curious if they will be allocating more money to some other programs this year, since scholarship money to incoming students seems kinda low.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:13 pm

mattviphky wrote:Any ideas on how Illinois will raise its rank next year? Obviously they'll try to get higher numbers, but that is only part of the metric. What steps are they taking to satisfy the other components of the USNWR formula? I'm just curious if they will be allocating more money to some other programs this year, since scholarship money to incoming students seems kinda low.
I don't know how obvious that is, unfortunately.

I'm not sure what UIUC's medians will be, but they'll probably not be 168/3.81 for quite some time. I think Pless really did do some damage.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:15 pm

Gail wrote:
mattviphky wrote:Any ideas on how Illinois will raise its rank next year? Obviously they'll try to get higher numbers, but that is only part of the metric. What steps are they taking to satisfy the other components of the USNWR formula? I'm just curious if they will be allocating more money to some other programs this year, since scholarship money to incoming students seems kinda low.
I don't know how obvious that is, unfortunately.

I'm not sure what UIUC's medians will be, but they'll probably not be 168/3.81 for quite some time. I think Pless really did do some damage.
Oh, I don't think they'll be 168/3.81 either, since they werent ever that anyways. But I'm willing to bet that they're gonna do at least more than 163.

LST

New

Post by LST » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:34 pm

Last edited by LST on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoosierball

New

Post by hoosierball » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:19 am

Considering how much they dropped, I think they are going to continue to drop again next year, given all that happened

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:58 am

hoosierball wrote:Considering how much they dropped, I think they are going to continue to drop again next year, given all that happened
Not sure how this makes any sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:50 am

tmon wrote:
hoosierball wrote:Considering how much they dropped, I think they are going to continue to drop again next year, given all that happened
Not sure how this makes any sense.

Or why anyone cares. The school has strong ties in the Chicago area, and whether it's 22nd or 35th won't make much of a difference in terms of recruiting. Firms know what kind of students they're getting from Illinois and that's mainly what they care about.

hoosierball

New

Post by hoosierball » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:43 am

Not everyone wants to go to chicago, further, I don't think you will see a drop in firms that have alum, but I would say decreased in firms that don't have actual connections to the school

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:20 am

hoosierball wrote:Not everyone wants to go to chicago, further, I don't think you will see a drop in firms that have alum, but I would say decreased in firms that don't have actual connections to the school
Where are these firms going to go? Indiana? If they could make that switch, they'd probably be recruiting there already. They're not. Iowa? Of course not. Wisconsin? Wisconsin doesn't place outside of Wisconsin (and I love the school.) I could go on... They probably already recruit at WashU and ND..You think they'll STOP recruiting Illinois and further limit their applicant pool? The economy is bad, but I don't think they'll limit their own recruiting more than they did at the start of economic crisis.

Your last few posts are all conclusion and no facts. It's possible that it will hurt, but everything that I've heard, as a current student, indicate that firms just don't care enough to make the switch. Our main market is Chicago and we will still place pretty well there. We're not a national school, of course, but those of us who didn't want Chicago still had options: I should know, I got biglaw in the non-Chicago market of my choice.

The scandal broke early in this year's hiring season. If employers were going to be scared off from Illinois, we'd likely have seen an impact this year. Sure, it came up in a few interviews but the tone of those conversations were more "that sucks, sorry about that" than "OMG We can't hire you, get out of my office now!" They were interested, but I saw and heard no evidence that it impacted any hiring decisions this year.

The scandal sucks. It does. I'm not happy with it and I'm not particularly impressed with how the administration handled it. But the assertion that it will drastically impact hiring from the school is unfounded and contrary to the little empirical evidence and much anecdotal evidence available.

hoosierball

New

Post by hoosierball » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:45 am

Non "Illinois Alum" firms (ie. small and mid size) would like to see what they are getting. An applicant in Champaign can't show them via clerking or whatever means, yes, I think that this will help city schools more than relying on reputation

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:52 am

Conclusion =/= facts.

...Write like this on your law school exams and your school's rank won't help you get a job....

What non-Illinois alum firms are you talking about in Chicago? We send people to small firms, we send people to medium sized firms, we send people to big firms, we send people to government jobs....We only place 10-20% of people in biglaw, the other grads go somewhere. Additionally.....Our faculty is leagues ahead of the city schools, our reputation scores, even after this scandal, out-pace those schools. If you think Chicago Kent is suddenly going to leapfrog Illinois in job placement, you're either joking or just totally misinformed.

Again, I ask: Where are your facts? All I see are free-floating conclusions.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:52 am

There aren't very many non Illinois alum firms in Chicago though. Firms that have always hired from Illinois will continue to do so. There might be a couple firms that stop recruiting because of the scandal but they would be few and far between. Maybe like Skadden's Chicago office won't hire from Illinois now. But they never really hired from here in the first place and they didn't come to OCI.

Maybe we won't be adding new firms to OCI, but I can't imagine the amount of firms would actually decrease.

And if you don't want to work in Illinois (or at least St Louis or Indy where the school has some strong connections) then you shouldn't be attending here in the first place.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:53 am

I was just at the admitted students day on the 30th, and while I am ultimately deciding to go to WashU, it is because of cost, not rankings drop.

I got the chance to talk to Dean Smith quite a bit, and with the head of legal career services based in Chicago, and the program they are confident they will have in place by next year (in which you can spend a semester and maybe even a year of 3L year living/going to school in Chicago so you can work in a mid-sized firm during that final year while going to school) I don't think employment prospects will be hit at all.

Just my 2cents

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:07 pm

hoosierball wrote:Non "Illinois Alum" firms (ie. small and mid size) would like to see what they are getting. An applicant in Champaign can't show them via clerking or whatever means, yes, I think that this will help city schools more than relying on reputation

Sorry, there was an assertion in here that I didn't address in my previous post.

You seem to be claiming that employers won't hire Illinois grads because they won't have the ability to work for them during the school year. That's just asinine: Most law students do NOT work during the school year. This has absolutely zero effect on hiring and it will not push the city schools higher than Illinois. Also, are you trying to connect this to the scandal somehow? Because I just don't see it. People have grades, summer jobs, and interviews. That's how they get jobs and that's not changing at Illinois.

And don't think I'm an Illinois patsy or anything--I normally attack, not defend, the school. But your comments are so off-base and unsubstantiated that I felt I had to say something.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:22 am

Talked to a guy tonight that started at UIUC Law in 2002. Tuition was 13k a year. After looking for some more info online, I saw that it was 9k a year in 2001. WTF! The job market was better, and tuition was like 1/4 of what it is now!!!

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:35 am

mattviphky wrote:Talked to a guy tonight that started at UIUC Law in 2002. Tuition was 13k a year. After looking for some more info online, I saw that it was 9k a year in 2001. WTF! The job market was better, and tuition was like 1/4 of what it is now!!!
I have an economics major and I don't fully understand that. :lol: 9K to 44K in 11 years when demand currently is probably lower than it was in 2001?

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:42 am

givemea170 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:Talked to a guy tonight that started at UIUC Law in 2002. Tuition was 13k a year. After looking for some more info online, I saw that it was 9k a year in 2001. WTF! The job market was better, and tuition was like 1/4 of what it is now!!!
I have an economics major and I don't fully understand that. :lol: 9K to 44K in 11 years when demand currently is probably lower than it was in 2001?
well that's instate. So more like 9k to 37k in 11 years...but yeah, still an insane jump. I wonder if state or UIUC funding waned for the law school, or if they actuallly invested that money into something?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:44 am

Law school tuition has skyrocketed everywhere, it's not something unique to Illinois

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:46 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:Law school tuition has skyrocketed everywhere, it's not something unique to Illinois
I'm sure it has, but is still shocking to hear

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:24 am

Remember, Illinois will lock in your tuition for all three years, too. I wish they'd done that for my class!

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:42 pm

Anyone know how UIUC handles taking credits outside of the law school? For example, I am 9 credits away from my BS in biology and have been dreaming about finishing it off soon. Would it be possible to take UG credits during a winter term or concurrent with law classes (as a 2 or 3L for example)?

hoosierball

New

Post by hoosierball » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:19 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:Anyone know how UIUC handles taking credits outside of the law school? For example, I am 9 credits away from my BS in biology and have been dreaming about finishing it off soon. Would it be possible to take UG credits during a winter term or concurrent with law classes (as a 2 or 3L for example)?
You can probably just take the other 9 credits as a visiting student and I don't know if UIUC will grant the degree but your home University might, not sure. Also most Law Schools let you take a certain number of credits outside of the law school and count towards your degree, but I am not sure if they have to be graduate level or not, but if they did, I am sure you could count graduate work towards a BS degree.

Not sure about the specific policies here though FYI

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”