UIUC 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ludo!

Gold

Re: UIUC 2015

Post by Ludo! » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:23 pm

jpickman wrote:I have yet to send in my seat deposit but will almost assuredly be attending UIUC this fall. I am currently looking into housing options and was wondering if any current students could throw some advice my way about navigating Champagne. Are there certain locations that are within walking distance to the law school? What is reasonable for rent for a one bedroom (I'm coming from Ann Arbor where rent is ridiculously high; might as well be living in Chicago for what I'm paying right now)? Is it necessary to have a car in Champagne? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Stay away from Green Street. I could not imagine living on campus as a law student and I don't know anyone who does. See the discussion above about puke filled elevators. Other than that, it just comes down to personal preference. I live near downtown Champaign. It's a 5 minute car ride, 15-20 minutes bus ride and a 30-40 minute walk from the law school. A lot of people live in a place called the Village which is further away but has a shuttle that goes directly to the law school. Probably the closest place that you could live within walking distance is near Hessel Park.

You can get a reasonable one bedroom anywhere from 400-900 depending on what you're looking for. Rent in Champaign is really cheap. Check out the Illinois tenant union, you can find out what companies are good to rent from.

I wouldn't live in Champaign without a car. Admittedly, I'm biased coming from LA, but I think it would be awful. It's definitely doable, I have friends who don't have cars. But I would say it's not ideal.

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:50 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
jpickman wrote:I have yet to send in my seat deposit but will almost assuredly be attending UIUC this fall. I am currently looking into housing options and was wondering if any current students could throw some advice my way about navigating Champagne. Are there certain locations that are within walking distance to the law school? What is reasonable for rent for a one bedroom (I'm coming from Ann Arbor where rent is ridiculously high; might as well be living in Chicago for what I'm paying right now)? Is it necessary to have a car in Champagne? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Stay away from Green Street. I could not imagine living on campus as a law student and I don't know anyone who does. See the discussion above about puke filled elevators. Other than that, it just comes down to personal preference. I live near downtown Champaign. It's a 5 minute car ride, 15-20 minutes bus ride and a 30-40 minute walk from the law school. A lot of people live in a place called the Village which is further away but has a shuttle that goes directly to the law school. Probably the closest place that you could live within walking distance is near Hessel Park.

You can get a reasonable one bedroom anywhere from 400-900 depending on what you're looking for. Rent in Champaign is really cheap. Check out the Illinois tenant union, you can find out what companies are good to rent from.

I wouldn't live in Champaign without a car. Admittedly, I'm biased coming from LA, but I think it would be awful. It's definitely doable, I have friends who don't have cars. But I would say it's not ideal.
Could you tell us a little bit about how it is living in Champaign and attending UIUC? I imagine it's much, much different from LA. You said the drive is only 5 minutes - how is the parking? Do you have to walk far or take a bus after you park? Is parking expensive? Also, where do the majority of law students seem to live?

After spending 5 years living practically on campus at Maryland I can confidently say I am sick of the party environment. I want to be able to live in peace without getting disturbed by drunk undergrads. I've already learned that Green Street needs to be avoided. Is Champaign the place for someone who's looking to live in peace, but also be relatively close to the school/bars/downtown area (if there is one)?

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:04 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:

Could you tell us a little bit about how it is living in Champaign and attending UIUC? I imagine it's much, much different from LA. You said the drive is only 5 minutes - how is the parking? Do you have to walk far or take a bus after you park? Is parking expensive? Also, where do the majority of law students seem to live?

After spending 5 years living practically on campus at Maryland I can confidently say I am sick of the party environment. I want to be able to live in peace without getting disturbed by drunk undergrads. I've already learned that Green Street needs to be avoided. Is Champaign the place for someone who's looking to live in peace, but also be relatively close to the school/bars/downtown area (if there is one)?
Parking: If you drive to school, as I do, you have two main options for parking: 1. Get a pass for the shuttle lot located at the basketball stadium. This is about 3 blocks from the law school so you can walk it easily if you don't feel like waiting for the bus; and 2. Paying meters at the law school parking lot. I just pay the meters using my phone--it's easy enough and, given my schedule this year, is only a little more expensive than buying a shuttle lot-pass. Doing this, I probably average about 2 dollars a day.

Living: I think most law students either live in Urbana/Champaign city-center areas (read: CU but not Campustown) or in Savoy. I live in Champaign about a mile and a half from the law school. It's close enough that I can walk to class if I feel like it but far enough away that I don't see the undergrad party scene from my apartment. Champaign-Urbana is a nice college town. There are good bars and restaurants in each city and you can, as I have, avoid the undergrad scene as much as you want. From my apartment, it's a 5-8 minute drive to anywhere in CU. It's a small enough area that it's hard to live in an inconvenient location.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:10 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:

Living in Champaign isn't bad. It's a small town but since it's a college town it's bearable. There are some really great restaurants and cool bars. There's a tiny mall and there are stores like Target and Best Buy. (Having a Best Buy doesn't sound like much, but compared to some of the small towns in Central Illinois that's a big deal). There are touring bands that come through, there are shows like Cirque Du Soleil. There are BigTen sporting events. There are two incredible movie theaters in downtown Champaign, the Art and the Virginia (where they have Ebertfest every year). So there's enough stuff to do that you don't go totally crazy. And if you are really feeling the lack of culture, Chicago is just a couple hours away. Attending Illinois is great. I really loved my first year of law school. The professors are (for the most part) amazing. The culture is pretty welcoming, not cut throat or ultra competitive. It's easy to make friends.

Parking at the law school is kind of weird. There's plenty of parking right next to the law school, but it's meters. There is apparently a free lot somewhere that you can park and walk from but as far as I know it's kind of far. (Some people park in the Assembly Hall parking lot which is pretty close, but I don't think you're really supposed to.) I just park in the meters every day. You can pay over the phone and it's like a dollar per hour. If you're the type of person that wants to spend all day at the law school then this probably isn't advisable, but if you just go to class and then leave I think the meters are way more convenient and worth the cost.

I would say the majority of law students probably live in the Village. That seems to be the most common apartment name I hear people mention. You couldn't pay me to live there but most people seem to like it I think. The further you go out into the corn the nicer your place will probably be. They build all the luxury condo type places out on the edges of town. This makes them too far for me to want to live but I know there are law students who live in these types of places and love it.

Personally, I think anywhere in Champaign between Prospect and Neil is the best place to live. Quiet neighborhoods, near some nice parks, near the Champaign library which is amazing and a way way better place to study than the law school library, near downtown Champaign which has some great (mostly undergrad free) bars and restaurants. Some people live in Urbana as well but from the apartments I looked at in that area they seemed to be a little older and more run down than the places in Champaign. They have a nice downtown too but not as good as Champaign's.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

e:fb by 6 minutes. damn you blurbz

Tobacco Road

New

Post by Tobacco Road » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:57 pm

Waitlisted. Does anyone know if they pull heavily or not from the WL?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hoosierball

New

Post by hoosierball » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:02 pm

Tobacco Road wrote:Waitlisted. Does anyone know if they pull heavily or not from the WL?
stats?

Tobacco Road

New

Post by Tobacco Road » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:06 pm

3.41 159 URM

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:18 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:
neeko wrote:
YankeeFan2 wrote:
givemea170 wrote:Held via email as well. Im pretty new to the application process. What does held mean exactly? Is it better than being waitlisted or is it basically just a lukewarm rejection? Pretty disappointing as i thought my 171 lsat would get me at least in.
Good question about being held. I was held as well -- I think its basically a lukewarm rejection. I am not keeping my hopes up.
I would say its closer to a lukewarm waitlist. I'm held, too.
So should I feel better that it is not a flat out rejection?
It's official. WL.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:40 pm

I still haven't heard from most of my schools surprisingly. Bout to just start withdrawing from them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:47 pm

givemea170 wrote:I still haven't heard from most of my schools surprisingly. Bout to just start withdrawing from them.
you thinking UIUC?

EMAW12

New

Post by EMAW12 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:38 pm

To those who had unfortunate news off the hold, were you informed via email?

hoosierball

New

Post by hoosierball » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:56 pm

EMAW12 wrote:To those who had unfortunate news off the hold, were you informed via email?
people were rejected out of the hold?

EMAW12

New

Post by EMAW12 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:12 pm

hoosierball wrote:
EMAW12 wrote:To those who had unfortunate news off the hold, were you informed via email?
people were rejected out of the hold?
No one on here, I don't think.

I considered WL'd to be unfortunate. I'd be a little disappointed if I was waitlisted.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

in2win

Bronze

Post by in2win » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:28 pm

hoosierball wrote:I considered WL'd to be unfortunate. I'd be a little disappointed if I was waitlisted.
agreed. not only is it not likely that you are going to accepted now. but you might have to wait another few months just to find out. i might be in the same position by the end of this week however. who knows

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:54 pm

Actually think Illinois will use the waitlist. I bet a lot of people were rudely awaken with the lack of money this cycle. Keep your head high.

USNEWS + People who were disappointed by the lack of money means good things for the WL

I hope you all get what you want! :D

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:03 am

mattviphky wrote:
givemea170 wrote:I still haven't heard from most of my schools surprisingly. Bout to just start withdrawing from them.
you thinking UIUC?
I did a little research and discovered my chances of getting into Northwestern off their hold list are about the chances of the Cubs winning the World Series. So yeah, I'm 95% sure it'll be UIUC unless Notre Dame sends me an offer I just can't refuse. haha. It is supposedly in the mail right now.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:12 am

givemea170 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:
you thinking UIUC?
I did a little research and discovered my chances of getting into Northwestern off their hold list are about the chances of the Cubs winning the World Series. So yeah, I'm 95% sure it'll be UIUC unless Notre Dame sends me an offer I just can't refuse. haha. It is supposedly in the mail right now.
One day.

Anywho, I need to get some things planned, but I think I'll be able to make the ASD at the end of the month, hopefully. Also, they agreed to reconsider my financial aid, but said it'd be a few weeks before they decide. Hopefully good things to come at the end of this month. :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:52 am

tmon wrote:
givemea170 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:
you thinking UIUC?
One day.

Anywho, I need to get some things planned, but I think I'll be able to make the ASD at the end of the month, hopefully. Also, they agreed to reconsider my financial aid, but said it'd be a few weeks before they decide. Hopefully good things to come at the end of this month. :)
Yes, they agreed to reconsider my financial aid as well but Jenny wanted my other offers and people are being slow so I have to wait to send her the list.

By the way, for people who live pretty far away from Champaign, how many weeks/months do you plan on moving there before classes start? I was debating moving there around May/June if I do decided to attend just to get settled and get a thousand headaches out of the way in advance and have the summer to relax and get used to living there...

hoosierball

New

Post by hoosierball » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:17 am

givemea170 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:
you thinking UIUC?

I think you may be pleasantly surprised this year by how schools use their WL

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:26 am

givemea170 wrote:

Yes, they agreed to reconsider my financial aid as well but Jenny wanted my other offers and people are being slow so I have to wait to send her the list.
When, and how?

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:59 pm

mattviphky wrote:
givemea170 wrote:

When, and how?
She said to email her a list of other offers I am considering. A few weeks ago.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dreambig

New

Post by dreambig » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:35 pm

Just go notified on Monday that my application is being held for a 2nd review. They said they are putting me in the "hold" category and will review it again in a few weeks to decide whether to admit me or place me on the wait list. With my numbers, I guess this is a good thing... Should I send in a LOCI?

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:08 pm

At least you got a response. I wrote my negotiation letter a week an a half ago and nothing yet. Not even a response, if they can up my aid I'll be there this fall.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:30 pm

tooswolle wrote:At least you got a response. I wrote my negotiation letter a week an a half ago and nothing yet. Not even a response, if they can up my aid I'll be there this fall.
word. I wrote one about a month ago, and they said they wouldn't be giving out anything at that time. My numbers aren't as competitive as others, but I'll ask again in a few weeks.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:03 pm

mattviphky wrote:
tooswolle wrote:At least you got a response. I wrote my negotiation letter a week an a half ago and nothing yet. Not even a response, if they can up my aid I'll be there this fall.
word. I wrote one about a month ago, and they said they wouldn't be giving out anything at that time. My numbers aren't as competitive as others, but I'll ask again in a few weeks.
That is very strange that she replied to mine immediately and ignored others? If my stats were truly worth a reconsideration, shouldn't I have been offered more than the $5,000 to begin with? I think they low balled me. :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”