UW Madison c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sconnielaw13
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby sconnielaw13 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:55 am

...
Last edited by sconnielaw13 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
aykim2188
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:01 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby aykim2188 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:15 pm

Waitlisted for a few weeks now. Waiting and waiting :|

Chriz
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby Chriz » Wed May 02, 2012 6:23 pm

aykim2188 wrote:Waitlisted for a few weeks now. Waiting and waiting :|


Yeah same here.. I am pretty much given into the fact that I won't be getting in and that it was just a soft rejection.

User avatar
BarcaCrossesTheAlps
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 11:43 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed May 02, 2012 6:29 pm

Chriz wrote:
aykim2188 wrote:Waitlisted for a few weeks now. Waiting and waiting :|


Yeah same here.. I am pretty much given into the fact that I won't be getting in and that it was just a soft rejection.


Be more optimistic. Remember, they don't WL people who (whom?) they believe they wouldn't want in their program. That is, if you are WLed, they believe in your ability to succeed. Also, these WL take all summer, sometimes. I do not think a WL at a school like Wisconsin or its peers is a "soft rejection." Have you sent LOCI? How many? If it has been a few weeks since your last, just call them up and say, "I just wanted to touch base and tell you I'm still interested." etc, etc., etc.

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby gobuffs10 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:04 pm

I agree with Barca. I sent an LOCI while still in review (granted, it was nine weeks of review) and got in four days later. I think you should keep hoping. The deadline to let them know if you're going is May 14. After that, I think they'll have a better picture of how many spots they can offer wait listers.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:32 pm

anybody know how scholly info is disseminated? nothing in the packet = fukt?

Chriz
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby Chriz » Thu May 03, 2012 2:14 am

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:
Chriz wrote:
aykim2188 wrote:Waitlisted for a few weeks now. Waiting and waiting :|


Yeah same here.. I am pretty much given into the fact that I won't be getting in and that it was just a soft rejection.


Be more optimistic. Remember, they don't WL people who (whom?) they believe they wouldn't want in their program. That is, if you are WLed, they believe in your ability to succeed. Also, these WL take all summer, sometimes. I do not think a WL at a school like Wisconsin or its peers is a "soft rejection." Have you sent LOCI? How many? If it has been a few weeks since your last, just call them up and say, "I just wanted to touch base and tell you I'm still interested." etc, etc., etc.


I sent a LOCI a few days after being waitlisted and I dont want to bother them so I was going to wait till I got my final grades and send them in as a way to keep in touch.

sconnielaw13
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby sconnielaw13 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:28 am

If you are waitlisted there is no reason to give up hope yet. Being put on the WL by UW means nothing (certainly not a soft rejection). However, if you are on the WL and you do not clearly express to them that you would attend or that you really want to attend you are probably not going to be admitted. When I applied a few years ago I was also placed on the WL and I had a real bad LSAT (158 again real bad). I wrote two LOCI's and I visited the law school over spring break and met with the Dean of admissions. In May, right before graduation, I found out I was accepted. Also that was at a time when everyone was applying to law school. For the past two years now applications have been down (the trend is likely similar at UW). The smaller applicant pool only helps to boost your chances. Just keep your head up and make sure to let UW know that you will for sure attend if you are accepted.

User avatar
aykim2188
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:01 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby aykim2188 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:17 pm

vlienj24 wrote:If you are waitlisted there is no reason to give up hope yet. Being put on the WL by UW means nothing (certainly not a soft rejection). However, if you are on the WL and you do not clearly express to them that you would attend or that you really want to attend you are probably not going to be admitted. When I applied a few years ago I was also placed on the WL and I had a real bad LSAT (158 again real bad). I wrote two LOCI's and I visited the law school over spring break and met with the Dean of admissions. In May, right before graduation, I found out I was accepted. Also that was at a time when everyone was applying to law school. For the past two years now applications have been down (the trend is likely similar at UW). The smaller applicant pool only helps to boost your chances. Just keep your head up and make sure to let UW know that you will for sure attend if you are accepted.


Thanks for the hope lol. I have sent two LOCI's since being waitlisted. Hopefully I'll hear good news 0_o

User avatar
Dick Dastardly
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:10 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby Dick Dastardly » Fri May 04, 2012 6:27 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:anybody know how scholly info is disseminated? nothing in the packet = fukt?

Everyone I know who received a scholarship found out about it after the acceptance packet, in a separate email/package.

Heretofore
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:50 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby Heretofore » Sun May 13, 2012 2:24 pm

I checked "uncertain" on May 1 and definitive decisions are due tomorrow. How bad is it to check "attending" to hold my spot even though I remain uncertain about whether I want to attend?

Chriz
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby Chriz » Sun May 13, 2012 3:08 pm

Heretofore wrote:I checked "uncertain" on May 1 and definitive decisions are due tomorrow. How bad is it to check "attending" to hold my spot even though I remain uncertain about whether I want to attend?


Very bad. I am on the waitlist.

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby tyro » Tue May 15, 2012 7:24 pm

Got somewhat lucky and was accepted off the waitlist recently.

Slightly below medians but WI resident.

Definitely should give people hope who are still on the waitlist if you're near the medians.

Good luck everyone and see you in a couple months!

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby tyro » Sun May 20, 2012 1:46 am

gobuffs10 wrote:
buckythebadger wrote:Just signed my lease this past weekend. Anyone living close to E Gorham?


I'm not sure where to live, what with the weather. I want to be as close to the law school as possible. Do you know anything about Madison's bus system? I'm guessing it'll be too icy and cold for a bike much of the year.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and ask that you change your avatar to Manning :D


I was looking at a couple of apartments on W Wilson St that are about a mile away from the law school so like a ~20 minute walk. Mainly was looking for 1BR efficiency type stuff for like $500-$600 but might also try to find a roommate.

tlahood
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:10 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby tlahood » Mon May 21, 2012 4:28 pm

Accepted off the waitlist today! Is there any chance of scholly money?

Chriz
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby Chriz » Mon May 21, 2012 8:12 pm

tlahood wrote:Accepted off the waitlist today! Is there any chance of scholly money?


I don't know if this should give me hope or dread.

CJ345
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby CJ345 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:49 pm

Chriz wrote:
tlahood wrote:Accepted off the waitlist today! Is there any chance of scholly money?


I don't know if this should give me hope or dread.


I know exactly how you feel.

User avatar
aykim2188
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:01 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby aykim2188 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:04 am

tlahood wrote:Accepted off the waitlist today! Is there any chance of scholly money?


Congratulations! Can I ask what your numbers are?

tlahood
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:10 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby tlahood » Tue May 22, 2012 11:42 am

aykim2188 wrote:
tlahood wrote:Accepted off the waitlist today! Is there any chance of scholly money?


Congratulations! Can I ask what your numbers are?


3.8 / 158. Out of State and non-URM.

ommy48
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 6:00 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby ommy48 » Tue May 22, 2012 7:55 pm

Hey guys and gals,

Does anyone have the link to the Facebook Admitted Students Group for the entering Fall of 2012 class? I heard that there was a good map of madison with a guide showing decent neighborhoods to find an apartment.

Thanks

gfj90
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby gfj90 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:31 am

ommy48 wrote:Hey guys and gals,

Does anyone have the link to the Facebook Admitted Students Group for the entering Fall of 2012 class? I heard that there was a good map of madison with a guide showing decent neighborhoods to find an apartment.

Thanks



I do not have a link to the Facebook group, but there is a really helpful map posted in this thread, viewtopic.php?f=32&t=178610.

bini
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:58 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby bini » Wed May 23, 2012 12:18 pm

ommy48 wrote:Hey guys and gals,

Does anyone have the link to the Facebook Admitted Students Group for the entering Fall of 2012 class? I heard that there was a good map of madison with a guide showing decent neighborhoods to find an apartment.

Thanks


Here it is: http://law.wisc.edu/admitted/resources.html

ommy48
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 6:00 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby ommy48 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:45 pm

Thanks I really appreciate it!

Chriz
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby Chriz » Thu May 24, 2012 5:31 pm

How hard to you think it would be to commute to campus from an hour away? I have noticed this would be cheaper than trying to live in Madison.

Kaves
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:54 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby Kaves » Fri May 25, 2012 7:18 pm

Chriz wrote:How hard to you think it would be to commute to campus from an hour away? I have noticed this would be cheaper than trying to live in Madison.


Its a really really really bad idea, some people in our class this year had to do it due to their spouse having to be somewhere else or what not but I know at least one of them who ended up renting an apartment in Madison because the commute was just too long. While it might be cheaper right now you have to consider things like your sanity. It is about the last thing I would consider doing.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”