UW Madison c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PrinceKasra
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:18 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby PrinceKasra » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:17 pm

No I just waited it out. I was worried that they were waiting so late to respond but if you are still under review I think you have a good chance. I am thinking maybe they have a lot of empty spots left to fill and that might even benefit those on the waitlist.

User avatar
BarcaCrossesTheAlps
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 11:43 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Still waiting...... :roll:

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby gobuffs10 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:37 pm

Application in on January 27, been under review since February 17. 156/163, 2.7, reapplicant. Just hoping for a miracle. A 9 week wait on my #1 school has been killer.

ethelcakes
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:47 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby ethelcakes » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:25 pm

I got in yesterday- just in time for the ASW. My app had been under review since 2/27. Good luck to those still waiting

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby gobuffs10 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:48 pm

ethelcakes wrote:I got in yesterday- just in time for the ASW. My app had been under review since 2/27. Good luck to those still waiting


Congrats. I've been in review since 2/17, so now I'm getting a bit nervous. Over the last two years I've maintained communication with a member of the admissions staff, and since I'm not an outstanding candidate I decided to just take a risk and send her an email expressing my interest and desire to attend, hoping it'd make me stand out a bit. She said my file is much improved over last year and that she'd put the email in my file. She said I'd have a decision Tuesday at the latest.

Wish me luck. This has been my first choice for two years. It's going to be an absolutely agonizing weekend.

User avatar
iamsparticus
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby iamsparticus » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:45 pm

gobuffs10 wrote:
ethelcakes wrote:I got in yesterday- just in time for the ASW. My app had been under review since 2/27. Good luck to those still waiting


Congrats. I've been in review since 2/17, so now I'm getting a bit nervous. Over the last two years I've maintained communication with a member of the admissions staff, and since I'm not an outstanding candidate I decided to just take a risk and send her an email expressing my interest and desire to attend, hoping it'd make me stand out a bit. She said my file is much improved over last year and that she'd put the email in my file. She said I'd have a decision Tuesday at the latest.

Wish me luck. This has been my first choice for two years. It's going to be an absolutely agonizing weekend.



Sounds like a call for alcohol :) Or whatever other vices can keep you from dwelling on it. It won't help at all. Hope you get in!

Looking at the stats you've posted it looks like you've got a good shot. If you don't mind me asking, how is there such a gap between your two listed GPAs? How do the two even differ? (I'm not sure where the second one comes from even)

PrinceKasra
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:18 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby PrinceKasra » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:15 pm

For everyone admitted, how do you accept the admission. Is there somewhere on the law school site where you send a deposit or will they provide that information later?

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby gobuffs10 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:14 pm

iamsparticus wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:
ethelcakes wrote:I got in yesterday- just in time for the ASW. My app had been under review since 2/27. Good luck to those still waiting


Congrats. I've been in review since 2/17, so now I'm getting a bit nervous. Over the last two years I've maintained communication with a member of the admissions staff, and since I'm not an outstanding candidate I decided to just take a risk and send her an email expressing my interest and desire to attend, hoping it'd make me stand out a bit. She said my file is much improved over last year and that she'd put the email in my file. She said I'd have a decision Tuesday at the latest.

Wish me luck. This has been my first choice for two years. It's going to be an absolutely agonizing weekend.



Sounds like a call for alcohol :) Or whatever other vices can keep you from dwelling on it. It won't help at all. Hope you get in!

Looking at the stats you've posted it looks like you've got a good shot. If you don't mind me asking, how is there such a gap between your two listed GPAs? How do the two even differ? (I'm not sure where the second one comes from even)


Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad I emailed the admissions staffer since I made a point to keep her as a contact for two years, and it was very kind of her to forward my email. I'm hoping being a reapplicant and having them as my number one will count for something.

My 2.7 is how LSAC calculates my gpa as I transferred as a sophomore. I got a 1.9, a 1.8, took a year off, transferred, and did very well for my last two years. I just had a lot of growing up to do. The 3.4 is the gpa from my undergraduate institution, since gpa does not transfer when the student does, just the credits. So CU had me at a 1.8, but my coursework at the school I graduated from was 3.4. Since lsac takes them both, I have a 2.7.

I'll try not to stress! No email tonight, so it looks like I'll know Tuesday.

clc8883
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby clc8883 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:47 pm

I'm a current student at Wisconsin Law so if anyone has questions feel free to post/message me and I'll do my best to answer!

PrinceKasra
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:18 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby PrinceKasra » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:47 am

Hi clc. It is nice to meet you. I will be coming down to Madison in August. I was wondering if there is any specific book that I can buy maybe a month in advance to be better prepared for first year courses. I have heard that there is a certain tort book that helps make the material easier to understand but is not a required reading. Do you think it would be useful to use my spare time near the end of summer to learn some material so I could head into first year a little prepared? If I were to do some reading I would make sure it is light because I know that I will have tons of work ahead of me when I start my semester.

RachaelRachelle
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby RachaelRachelle » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:09 pm

Good luck everyone! Just withdrew.

clc8883
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby clc8883 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:37 pm

In response to reading material this summer, when you get your big mailing in July, there will be a list of optional reading in there (most of the material is basics on the American Legal System, research/writing, etc.) While it can provide a good background, personally I don't really think it is necessary. Everything you need to know for your classes and exams you will get from your required readings. My advice would be to try to stay calm and enjoy your summer---you will have more than enough reading when the semester starts! I didn't attend any law school prep courses or do any of the optional readings and I didn't feel like I missed out on anything or wasn't prepared.

User avatar
Dick Dastardly
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:10 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby Dick Dastardly » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:00 am

clc8883 wrote:In response to reading material this summer, when you get your big mailing in July, there will be a list of optional reading in there (most of the material is basics on the American Legal System, research/writing, etc.) While it can provide a good background, personally I don't really think it is necessary. Everything you need to know for your classes and exams you will get from your required readings. My advice would be to try to stay calm and enjoy your summer---you will have more than enough reading when the semester starts! I didn't attend any law school prep courses or do any of the optional readings and I didn't feel like I missed out on anything or wasn't prepared.

I mostly agree with this. I had read a little bit in previous studies (e.g., excerpts from Chemerinsky in a class on the Constitution), but the only thing I specifically read for law school prep was Getting To Maybe. I do recommend people take the time to leaf through that book - not everyone will need it, but I don't know anyone who regretted reading it.

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby gobuffs10 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:33 am

Well, I don't know how, but I got in. I'll see you all in the fall.

runnerfun
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:10 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby runnerfun » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:34 pm

Withdrew today, my $$$ is back in! Hope one of you all gets my spot!

calisunshine88
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby calisunshine88 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:23 pm

gobuffs10 wrote:
ethelcakes wrote:I got in yesterday- just in time for the ASW. My app had been under review since 2/27. Good luck to those still waiting


Congrats. I've been in review since 2/17, so now I'm getting a bit nervous. Over the last two years I've maintained communication with a member of the admissions staff, and since I'm not an outstanding candidate I decided to just take a risk and send her an email expressing my interest and desire to attend, hoping it'd make me stand out a bit. She said my file is much improved over last year and that she'd put the email in my file. She said I'd have a decision Tuesday at the latest.

Wish me luck. This has been my first choice for two years. It's going to be an absolutely agonizing weekend.



I have also been "in review" since 2/17. Is the Tuesday deadline for you or did she mean that in general?

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby gobuffs10 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:20 pm

calisunshine88 wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:
ethelcakes wrote:I got in yesterday- just in time for the ASW. My app had been under review since 2/27. Good luck to those still waiting


Congrats. I've been in review since 2/17, so now I'm getting a bit nervous. Over the last two years I've maintained communication with a member of the admissions staff, and since I'm not an outstanding candidate I decided to just take a risk and send her an email expressing my interest and desire to attend, hoping it'd make me stand out a bit. She said my file is much improved over last year and that she'd put the email in my file. She said I'd have a decision Tuesday at the latest.

Wish me luck. This has been my first choice for two years. It's going to be an absolutely agonizing weekend.



I have also been "in review" since 2/17. Is the Tuesday deadline for you or did she mean that in general?


I think she meant for me. Someone else on this thread was accepted before me but had been in review since 10 days after I went in. I'm not sure how the order is determined, but when I emailed her I was waiting to be reviewed by the admissions chair, which is where you're at as well, if I had to guess. It was pointed out to me that if Wisconsin is still accepting this late, being in review so long isn't a bad thing. CU, for example, rejected me in three weeks. UW took ten, but I got accepted. In my amateur opinion, the fact that you are still being looked at (or waiting) isn't a bad thing. Also, the woman I spoke with said that the deadline was extended to April 1 because so many February LSAT takers requested their files be held, so they just decided to extend the deadline. She said that the decision process was being delayed due to all of these late applications.

Good luck. I really think the Tuesday deadline was just where my file was in line. I wouldn't stress too much. According to LSN, I think that so far I'm the lowest GPA that got accepted this year (2.7), so don't lose hope.

Randomnumbers
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:26 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby Randomnumbers » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:22 pm

They must be having some issues on their LSAT median - I wouldn't think that your numbers would normally be good enough for Madison.

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby gobuffs10 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:37 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:They must be having some issues on their LSAT median - I wouldn't think that your numbers would normally be good enough for Madison.


If you're speaking to me (I believe you are), normally they wouldn't be. Madison's median is a 163, which I hit, up from 156. My gpa is atrocious. However, it is a reflection of my efforts at 18 and 19. After I took my year off, I got 3.4 and above for my last two and a half years.

Last year I called UW to see how I could get in this year. My numbers last year wouldn't have put me in anywhere worth going. Basically for two years I kept contact with the same person in admissions, got rejected last year, and discussed how to get in this year.

I think my acceptance is a reflection of the fact that I was able to go from failing out of school to taking 18 credit semesters and succeeding. Also, admissions said my LSAT had to come up, and it did. I'm sure keeping in touch with the school and showing genuine interest didn't hurt.

If you hit LSN, most acceptances so far appear to be right at the 163-164 range, so it's consistent with the last three classes. I'll try not to let your remark take away from my excitement, though.

User avatar
tooswolle
Posts: 491
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:48 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby tooswolle » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:19 pm

It definitely looks like an LSAT dip.ost people admitted have lower GPA's and slightly higher LSAT's. I thought with the urm boost I'd be good, guess I was wrong. Oh well

calisunshine88
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby calisunshine88 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:55 am

gobuffs10 wrote:
calisunshine88 wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:
ethelcakes wrote:I got in yesterday- just in time for the ASW. My app had been under review since 2/27. Good luck to those still waiting


Congrats. I've been in review since 2/17, so now I'm getting a bit nervous. Over the last two years I've maintained communication with a member of the admissions staff, and since I'm not an outstanding candidate I decided to just take a risk and send her an email expressing my interest and desire to attend, hoping it'd make me stand out a bit. She said my file is much improved over last year and that she'd put the email in my file. She said I'd have a decision Tuesday at the latest.

Wish me luck. This has been my first choice for two years. It's going to be an absolutely agonizing weekend.



I have also been "in review" since 2/17. Is the Tuesday deadline for you or did she mean that in general?


I think she meant for me. Someone else on this thread was accepted before me but had been in review since 10 days after I went in. I'm not sure how the order is determined, but when I emailed her I was waiting to be reviewed by the admissions chair, which is where you're at as well, if I had to guess. It was pointed out to me that if Wisconsin is still accepting this late, being in review so long isn't a bad thing. CU, for example, rejected me in three weeks. UW took ten, but I got accepted. In my amateur opinion, the fact that you are still being looked at (or waiting) isn't a bad thing. Also, the woman I spoke with said that the deadline was extended to April 1 because so many February LSAT takers requested their files be held, so they just decided to extend the deadline. She said that the decision process was being delayed due to all of these late applications.

Good luck. I really think the Tuesday deadline was just where my file was in line. I wouldn't stress too much. According to LSN, I think that so far I'm the lowest GPA that got accepted this year (2.7), so don't lose hope.


Thanks for the response. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Congrats to you!

User avatar
buckythebadger
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:08 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby buckythebadger » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:14 pm

Just signed my lease this past weekend. Anyone living close to E Gorham?

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby gobuffs10 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:38 pm

buckythebadger wrote:Just signed my lease this past weekend. Anyone living close to E Gorham?


I'm not sure where to live, what with the weather. I want to be as close to the law school as possible. Do you know anything about Madison's bus system? I'm guessing it'll be too icy and cold for a bike much of the year.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and ask that you change your avatar to Manning :D

User avatar
buckythebadger
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:08 am

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby buckythebadger » Tue May 01, 2012 2:19 am

gobuffs10 wrote:
buckythebadger wrote:Just signed my lease this past weekend. Anyone living close to E Gorham?


I'm not sure where to live, what with the weather. I want to be as close to the law school as possible. Do you know anything about Madison's bus system? I'm guessing it'll be too icy and cold for a bike much of the year.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and ask that you change your avatar to Manning :D


From what I heard, there are people that do bike most of the winter. Might not be the best of ideas, but it is possible. From where I'm at on E Gorham, its about a 15 minute walk. I'm paying $750 a month which includes utilities. If you want to get any closer than 15 minutes, its going to be difficult to find much cheaper than that this close to the next school year. Check out Calimar Apartments, that's the management company I went through. There was another 1BR in the building for like $580, so they do have some good deals. There apartments are also almost all graduate students, so the building is kept relatively quiet. I don't know much about the bus system other than that it is free for students.

Probably won't be able to change the avatar. Timmy will be starting by November!

bini
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:58 pm

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby bini » Tue May 01, 2012 3:20 am

gobuffs10 wrote:
buckythebadger wrote:Just signed my lease this past weekend. Anyone living close to E Gorham?


I'm not sure where to live, what with the weather. I want to be as close to the law school as possible. Do you know anything about Madison's bus system? I'm guessing it'll be too icy and cold for a bike much of the year.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and ask that you change your avatar to Manning :D


I live in the Madison area, went to grad school there and I always took a bus. Buses run frequently throughout the day from various points. They also have drop-in drop-off buses that just run within the university. You can check out the bus schedule here: http://www.cityofmadison.com/metro/




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fortunecookie1, genjustice, Google [Bot], oliviaj_j, texteach, Whittie, wild11cat and 30 guests