mahayes99 wrote:has anyone heard of any scholarship offers yet? will these be delayed at well considering the extended deadline? I was wondering if it is still too soon to ask about scholarship negotiation, if they haven't sent out offers yet...getting impatient
I still haven't heard anything, but I have two things to consider: 1) UW will not have much money to give out because of the political climate in Wisconsin, and 2) my friend who is currently a 1L at UW said that he did not receive a scholarship offer last year until April 27, which was well after the first deposit deadline.
I am not really sure how would be best to handle that situation, especially if scholarship money is a weighty consideration for you. I plan to let them know in person at the Admitted Students Day in a few weeks that I will need to know my scholarship information by the deposit deadline, at latest, in order to make a decision. I have a very strong interest in attending (it is one of my final two or three choices), but I can't go at sticker/without knowing how much it will cost. I think the admissions/financial aid offices will realize those concerns, and if you were to show genuine interest in attending (i.e. visit campus, attend ASW, or speak with dean or financial assistants by phone to discuss your situation), they would work with you to figure out a solution. My guess is that they are holding out so long because there is only so much money to be allocated, and they want to make the best offers to those applicants who will matriculate and become quality students.
Despite the lack of scholarship funds due to the incompetence of the state government (pardon my political leanings), the officials at the school really do have an interest in seeing the best students attend their institution, and I believe that they will try to accommodate the needs of accepted students with a genuine interest in attending as best they can.