UW Madison c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CJ345

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby CJ345 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:24 pm

Also waitlisted today. In state, UW grad, 161/3.3 and early decision. I will write loci and hope for the best. I just hope it doesn't take another three months of waiting.

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:26 pm

In the waitlist email it says,"At this time, we would strongly encourage you to submit a letter of continued interest indicating whether or not you are still interested in attending as well as the likelihood of enrollment if you were to be offered a seat in the class (admissions@law.wisc.edu)." Does this imply that a LOCI should be emailed to them? or would it be better to send it in the mail?

Dick Dastardly

Postby Dick Dastardly » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:30 pm

Chriz wrote:In the waitlist email it says,"At this time, we would strongly encourage you to submit a letter of continued interest indicating whether or not you are still interested in attending as well as the likelihood of enrollment if you were to be offered a seat in the class (admissions@law.wisc.edu)." Does this imply that a LOCI should be emailed to them? or would it be better to send it in the mail?

I would write it like a letter, print it, sign it, and then scan and email as pdf.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:39 pm

waitlisted :c

woodscommaL

Postby woodscommaL » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:43 pm

waitlisted. screw that.

milljp02

Postby milljp02 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:00 pm

Waitlisted. No surprise. OOS splitter.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:51 pm

Sorry to hear about all the waitlists. Kind of sucks after having waited a long time. I guess they yP out there in Madison. After my waitlist I did some research seems that they are "waitlist trigger happy" there and really want to see you wan to attend for them to take you. Does anyone know if you can get aid off the waitlist?

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:53 pm

tooswolle wrote:Sorry to hear about all the waitlists. Kind of sucks after having waited a long time. I guess they yP out there in Madison. After my waitlist I did some research seems that they are "waitlist trigger happy" there and really want to see you wan to attend for them to take you. Does anyone know if you can get aid off the waitlist?

UW doesn't offer much scholarship money in general. I think the only way to get them is through a diversity scholarship (but I'm not sure if there is a number attached) and high LSAT applicants. I think UW has a reputation for just not being scholarship happy overall. I would assume sticker because I didn't see any people getting scholarship money off of the WL before. I'd also look to see how hard/easy it is to gain residency status for tuition purposes. I think you may have to buy property and claim residency that way. It's just something to research in general.

laduper

Postby laduper » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:49 pm

Hey all... I grew up in Madison, went to UW for undergrad, and am (very) strongly considering it for law school this fall. If y'all have any questions, I'm more than happy to help!

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:54 am

Does anyone know if they allow you to send in another Letter of Recommendation if you are waitlisted? Or if that is even a good idea?

Dick Dastardly

Postby Dick Dastardly » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:59 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
tooswolle wrote:Sorry to hear about all the waitlists. Kind of sucks after having waited a long time. I guess they yP out there in Madison. After my waitlist I did some research seems that they are "waitlist trigger happy" there and really want to see you wan to attend for them to take you. Does anyone know if you can get aid off the waitlist?

UW doesn't offer much scholarship money in general. I think the only way to get them is through a diversity scholarship (but I'm not sure if there is a number attached) and high LSAT applicants. I think UW has a reputation for just not being scholarship happy overall. I would assume sticker because I didn't see any people getting scholarship money off of the WL before. I'd also look to see how hard/easy it is to gain residency status for tuition purposes. I think you may have to buy property and claim residency that way. It's just something to research in general.

I know of one person who told me (s)he received a scholarship after being waitlisted, but I have no idea how prevalent that is. Given the relatively low financial aid budget, I don't imagine it happens all the time.

brotoss

Postby brotoss » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:52 pm

It's my understanding you are locked into resident/non-resident for all 3 years

iamsparticus

Postby iamsparticus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:30 pm

+1

From the old world wide web:

12. What if I am a nonresident - will I ever become a resident?

If you enter and remain in Wisconsin principally to attend an educational institution during the twelve months you are attempting to establish bona fide residence in Wisconsin, you are presumed to continue to reside outside the state. This presumption remains in effect until you are able to demonstrate you have overcome the presumption with clear and convincing evidence of bona fide residence in the state for the year next preceding a term for which you wish to enroll at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Wisconsin Statutes 36.27.(2) Section (e).

Generally, a student who enters Wisconsin to attend any educational institution will continue in the nonresident status until the student's reason for being in Wisconsin is clearly shown to be non-educational. Twelve months after the change in the student's reason for being in Wisconsin, the student may wish to inquire about appealing their nonresident status.

If you are unsure whether you qualify for resident tuition under any provision of the Statute, contact the Office of the Registrar residence Counselors: (608) 262-1355; 333 East Campus Mall #10301, Madison, WI 53715-1384; res4tuition@em.wisc.edu .

tyro

Postby tyro » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:17 pm

Chriz wrote:Does anyone know if they allow you to send in another Letter of Recommendation if you are waitlisted? Or if that is even a good idea?

Not sure but I considered it and decided not to. I would just follow the bolded part in the email for your LOCI.

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:57 pm

I sent a LOCI. Im trying to think of other ways to stay in touch so they keep me in mind when it comes time to get people off the waitlist.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:45 pm

Chriz wrote:I sent a LOCI. Im trying to think of other ways to stay in touch so they keep me in mind when it comes time to get people off the waitlist.

I'd hold off for a bit. Some of us are still waiting for initial results. :)

They tend to let people off after they submit a LOCI so I'm not sure sending anything additional would help. You could always visit the school if you have the time.

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:36 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Chriz wrote:I sent a LOCI. Im trying to think of other ways to stay in touch so they keep me in mind when it comes time to get people off the waitlist.

They tend to let people off after they submit a LOCI so I'm not sure sending anything additional would help. You could always visit the school if you have the time.

I am hoping to visit sometime near the end of the semester. I just really wanna get in and I am worried I won't.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:37 pm

Chriz wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

I am hoping to visit sometime near the end of the semester. I just really wanna get in and I am worried I won't.

Are you in-state or out of state? Some people were let off of the list within two weeks last cycle and some a month or longer.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:53 pm

Chriz wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

From previous threads movement on the waitlist tends to occur in mid march and onward. From the looks of lsn they wait list heavily perhaps they are afraid of yield idk. However, most sites tell you not to "badger" the admissions office and "be that guy" good luck on getting off. I really want to get off but have been fortunate to get in to a great school that at this point it's eh....

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:23 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Chriz wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

Are you in-state or out of state? Some people were let off of the list within two weeks last cycle and some a month or longer.

In-state... 160/3.4 not the best stats but still hopeful.

brotoss

Postby brotoss » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:49 pm

How long have you guys been "In Review" on the status checker? Thanks.

ashley12

Postby ashley12 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:14 pm

brotoss wrote:How long have you guys been "In Review" on the status checker? Thanks.

Since early December.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm a complete neophyte to the Madison UR, with only a mid January date. I have no idea what those people are doing.

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:06 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:I'm a complete neophyte to the Madison UR, with only a mid January date. I have no idea what those people are doing.

I was in review from November till December for Early Decision... then I was deferred to the regular admissions and it took 9 weeks to get waitlisted.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:26 pm

ashley12 wrote:
brotoss wrote:How long have you guys been "In Review" on the status checker? Thanks.

Since early December.

Do you still have yours in the cycle or did you decide to remove it? I know you had thought about this option. Not sure if you followed through with it.

It looks like there was movement today on LSN.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”