UW Madison c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
btw384

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Postby btw384 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:50 pm

Bmarce wrote:
tooswolle wrote:
scottwisconsin wrote:Haven't posted here in quite awhile. I deferred my acceptance for two years to work in advocacy for an environmental non-profit when I graduated in 2010. Excited for fall. Any questions about Madison? I went to undergrad here, work here, and generally bleed Wisconsin.

good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

Congrats bro on starting this fall. I have a quick question on the social life? How are the ladies and how's the scene in general. I live by a simple motto work hard play hard and if I'm fortunate to be admitted I wanna enjoy everything they Madison has to offer me.

+1

Not to hijack the question, but I went to UW undergrad a few years back and could try to answer. Social life is great, depending on what you are looking for. Bar scene is about as good as it gets. There were probably 20+ bars that I went to on a fairly regular basis, with everything from the sleaziest dive bars to the classy capitol square martini/cigar bars to the student bars. You would be hard-pressed to find a better bar scene for a city of comparable size. Other night life (aka clubs) are definitely lacking, but the bar scene makes up for it.

Concerts are alright. There are plenty of venues in Madison, and plenty of pretty big artists to come through town. Don't be terribly surprised if a big artist passes up Madison for one of the major cities nearby, though (Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Chicago). Not much of an issue as Milwaukee is an hour away, and Chicago/Minneapolis are both a few hours away. There are tons of buses that regularly run between all four cities, and plane tickets are usually reasonably priced.

As for the general vibe of the campus social scene, you've got all of the types of people you would expect to bump into on a campus with such a large undergraduate population (Greek people, artsy people, "I'm at school 100% for the schoolwork" people). I will say that Madison is a liberal city, and it has a strong history of political activism. I'm not exactly sure if this translates to the LS, but I can say that you should expect to be exposed to a very liberal vibe throughout Madison.

I will not make any statements on the women of Madison, except to note that I hope you are looking for a woman who likes to drink beer, and lots of it.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:28 am

I will not make any statements on the women of Madison, except to note that I hope you are looking for a woman who likes to drink beer, and lots of it.[/quote]

On my iPhone so I couldn't cross out most of what you said. But you had me at women that like to drink beer! Haha but anyways sounds like a typical college town, I'm from so cal so I'm sure I can get along with that liberal atmosphere. Judging from the responses that I get from some people here, looks like we're forming a mini bar review squad. Hah definitely sounds chill though.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:58 pm

tooswolle wrote:I will not make any statements on the women of Madison, except to note that I hope you are looking for a woman who likes to drink beer, and lots of it.

On my iPhone so I couldn't cross out most of what you said. But you had me at women that like to drink beer! Haha but anyways sounds like a typical college town, I'm from so cal so I'm sure I can get along with that liberal atmosphere. Judging from the responses that I get from some people here, looks like we're forming a mini bar review squad. Hah definitely sounds chill though.[/quote]

Which part of SoCal? I worked and went to grad. school in the LA area. I also worked in Orange County.

I moved back to the state last year because of CA's bad job market and high rent prices.

Assume that UW is like any Big 10 or large school (U of Florida, U of Arizona, U of GA, etc.). It's known for partying, bars, political activism (It is called the Berkeley of the Midwest) and sports. You truly will find a mix of folks. As long as you can handle snow for a bit, you'll be fine. It is known for its Halloween shenanigans.

I did go to UG out of state (another Big 10 campus) but that was only to get a non-WI flavor. Madison is more urban than suburbia, I believe.

Bmarce

Postby Bmarce » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:04 pm

My gosh, the wait is getting unbearable. Any ideas as to when we will start to get some movement? They must be hoarding acceptances and denials.

YankeeFan2

Postby YankeeFan2 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Bmarce wrote:My gosh, the wait is getting unbearable. Any ideas as to when we will start to get some movement? They must be hoarding acceptances and denials.

+1 I know! Been under review since 12/1.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:30 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:
Bmarce wrote:My gosh, the wait is getting unbearable. Any ideas as to when we will start to get some movement? They must be hoarding acceptances and denials.

Saaaame.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:19 pm

vpintz wrote:
YankeeFan2 wrote:

Saaaame.

+ 180

I wish they read TLS and knew we want to know. My guess is well hear by Friday. At least I hope!

caloboeist

Postby caloboeist » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:04 pm

In via email this morning

gfj90

Postby gfj90 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:23 pm

In via email. It took about forty minutes from when I saw my status update to "decision made" for the email to come. I love Wisconsin!

Bmarce

Postby Bmarce » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:34 pm

Congrats to both of you!

ljbreck

Postby ljbreck » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:55 pm

Heyo. Anyone heard anything about scholarships yet? When I called the office they said we'd probably hear early to mid January. I'm on pins and needles. GAH.

And congrats to all the recent admits!

ashley12

Postby ashley12 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:58 pm

ljbreck wrote:Heyo. Anyone heard anything about scholarships yet? When I called the office they said we'd probably hear early to mid January. I'm on pins and needles. GAH.

Did you submit your scholarship application yet? I just did mine yesterday after I forced myself to do taxes/FAFSA. I hope it's soonish.

mcr2011

Postby mcr2011 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:57 pm

I went "Under Review" 12/21, then status checker updated again today to "Under Review" again. Should I be concerned? :?

ljbreck

Postby ljbreck » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:04 pm

@Ashley. I submitted my scholarship application right after I submitted on LSAC (probably early November-ish). And feel you on the FAFSA/tax forms. Financial forms make my brain go "APOIWEJFPOIWEJPOFIAJCWPEOCFIJAWE".

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:19 pm

mcr2011 wrote:I went "Under Review" 12/21, then status checker updated again today to "Under Review" again. Should I be concerned? :?

Mine did the same thing. Are you in-state or out of state?

mcr2011

Postby mcr2011 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:24 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
mcr2011 wrote:I went "Under Review" 12/21, then status checker updated again today to "Under Review" again. Should I be concerned? :?

Out of state. I'm worried it means they reviewed but I'm going to be waitlisted or rejected but they'll just send that email out in a few weeks.

ashley12

Postby ashley12 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:09 am

BearsGrl wrote:

My status did the same thing. I wouldn't panick- it might just mean they've pulled your app again or something.

flyingduck

Postby flyingduck » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:38 am

Admitted earlier today via email. Completed mid-December. 3.3, 169. Congrats to everyone who got the email today!

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:36 pm

To those that were accepted, waitlisted or rejected, what did the title of your inbox email say? I'm wondering if they have different wordings in the title status. Such that, is it all generic and you don't find out the results until the body of the email.

Any helpful hints would be appreciated. :D

buckythebadger

Postby buckythebadger » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:13 am

ljbreck wrote:Heyo. Anyone heard anything about scholarships yet? When I called the office they said we'd probably hear early to mid January. I'm on pins and needles. GAH.

When I received my call I also asked them when they expect scholarship decisions to be made and was told mid January. That was during the first round of acceptances a month ago. So far nothing has been reported on TLS or LSN. I'm really hoping to hear soon!

grtbooks91

Postby grtbooks91 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Just withdrew my acceptance.

Good luck to all still waiting!

ashley12

Postby ashley12 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:33 pm

D'oh UW admissions fake-out email.

Bmarce

Postby Bmarce » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:37 pm

ashley12 wrote:D'oh UW admissions fake-out email.

I think I got the same one. I really don't know whats taking them so long, they must have loads of acceptances and denials by now.

buckythebadger

Postby buckythebadger » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:42 pm

Bmarce wrote:

I think I got the same one. I really don't know whats taking them so long, they must have loads of acceptances and denials by now.

Judging by last years thread, a second round of acceptances/WL and denials went out on the 18th. I would imagine that there should be some more activity really soon.

Also, did anyone get the NETID login info? I was hoping scholly info would be in there but so far nothing

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:05 pm

buckythebadger wrote:
Bmarce wrote:

Judging by last years thread, a second round of acceptances/WL and denials went out on the 18th. I would imagine that there should be some more activity really soon.

Also, did anyone get the NETID login info? I was hoping scholly info would be in there but so far nothing

I got the same NetId login. From my understanding, with last cycle, scholarships weren't giving out til Feb./March. I think people were emailed this info. Check out that thread for more info.

Last cycle also had a round of admittances/rejects/waitlists the week of the 20th through the First week of February. I think that's their prime time. We could all find out in the next few days. Some waitlists came before 8 am and some came at a 2:15 pm email. Most rejected seemed to occur in the afternoon.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”