UW Madison c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ashley12

Bronze

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Post by ashley12 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:29 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
ashley12 wrote:
brotoss wrote:How long have you guys been "In Review" on the status checker? Thanks.

Since early December.
Do you still have yours in the cycle or did you decide to remove it? I know you had thought about this option. Not sure if you followed through with it.

It looks like there was movement today on LSN.
Only place where I kept my app in, only because I am genuinely curious to see if I would make it in, which I doubt I will. I already deposited elsewhere (did so in order to have scholarship significantly negotiated) but I would attend Wisconsin if I could afford it.

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:37 am

ashley12 wrote: (did so in order to have scholarship significantly negotiated)
What do you mean?

ashley12

Bronze

Post by ashley12 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:13 am

tennisking88 wrote:
What do you mean?
I asked to negotiate my scholarship and they said they were open to that as long as I was willing to display some level of commitment about how serious I was about attending.

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:18 am

ashley12 wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
What do you mean?
I asked to negotiate my scholarship and they said they were open to that as long as I was willing to display some level of commitment about how serious I was about attending.
I see. Did you ask before you sent in your deposit?

runski

New

Post by runski » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:22 am

When did you guys hear about financial aid and how? I was accepted on Feb 1, but haven't heard a peep about merit aid. Does this mean I'm out of luck?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

buckythebadger

Bronze

Post by buckythebadger » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:24 pm

runski wrote:When did you guys hear about financial aid and how? I was accepted on Feb 1, but haven't heard a peep about merit aid. Does this mean I'm out of luck?
I was accepted back on dec 15 and have yet to hear anything. I don't think many offers have yet to come out

ashley12

Bronze

Post by ashley12 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:03 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
ashley12 wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
What do you mean?
I see. Did you ask before you sent in your deposit?

Oh yes definitely

buckythebadger

Bronze

Post by buckythebadger » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:00 pm

Anyone here receive scholly info yet? There has been a few people posting on LSN getting scholly info this week

aidanm2

New

Post by aidanm2 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:34 pm

how long has it taken to render decisions for those who have been either accepted, waitlisted, or dinged?

Any information would help as I am getting quite frustrated with the waiting game ha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:37 pm

They finally got around to admitting me just now. I'll definitely check out one of the ASW's, probably march 24th. If they can toss me some money (unlikely, given the climate in WI these days) it would definitely make my choices a bit harder.

brotoss

New

Post by brotoss » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:53 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:They finally got around to admitting me just now. I'll definitely check out one of the ASW's, probably march 24th. If they can toss me some money (unlikely, given the climate in WI these days) it would definitely make my choices a bit harder.
When did you apply? How long were you "In Review"?

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:42 pm

Applied in mid December, UR since about early january.

hernanmi

New

Post by hernanmi » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:36 pm

In today via e-mail!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iamsparticus

New

Post by iamsparticus » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:47 pm

I saw on the uw website they extended the app deadline to April 1. I'm assuming due low turnout. Or maybe that they are so slow on reviewing apps this cycle...what do you all think? I assume this will delay their timing on drawing from the wl.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:00 pm

Probably means low applicant turn out so they are looking to increase selectivity or the pool. The 16% decline in applicants has probably affected them as well. Regardless, they better not put off going to the wait list too long since they'll probably loose out on candidates who would attend. I said as much in my letter of continued interest, at this point I found the waitlist as a slap to my face and have other options which I don't have any problems exploring if they didn't want me in the end.

iamsparticus

New

Post by iamsparticus » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:09 pm

tooswolle wrote:Probably means low applicant turn out so they are looking to increase selectivity or the pool. The 16% decline in applicants has probably affected them as well. Regardless, they better not put off going to the wait list too long since they'll probably loose out on candidates who would attend. I said as much in my letter of continued interest, at this point I found the waitlist as a slap to my face and have other options which I don't have any problems exploring if they didn't want me in the end.
Thats interesting. Where is the 16% number coming from? Is that referring to law applicants throughout the nation or uw applicants?

Also, I don't understand taking a wl as a slap to your face (or at all personally for that matter). I find the whole process seems the opposite-very impersonal, with no opportunity to interview, and decisions based solely on two numbers. All they really know about you is what is contained in your app so I think you might be being a little oversensitive. They are obviously high on your list so hopefully your loci conveys that and you get in.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:38 pm

The 16% is based on the overall decline in law school applicants per previous threads on TLS. As to being overly sensitive to being waitlist I beg to differ. I'm more pissed given that people with lower gpas and LSAT scores 3-4 points higher have been accepted. For me it's pretty simple either your good enough to get in or your not and if you aren't good enough just let the person know. The waitlist in general is an insurance policy on their yield and I don't feel it's right or at least correct to lead people on and give them short notice. Again these are just personal feelings towards the waitlist not the school in general. Anyways I'm not looking for a debate just expressing my perspective on it. Best of luck on getting off the waitlist man.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

iamsparticus

New

Post by iamsparticus » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:15 am

I wished you luck, but I'm not on the wl at uw (yet). I'm still waiting for an answer. I wasn't trying to start a debate either. I'm just making the point that I personally do not think anyone should take a law schools decision to accept, deny, or WL personally.

Chriz

Bronze

Post by Chriz » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:30 am

I look at the waitlist as a good thing... I don't have a high expectation of getting in.. 3.4/160 but I have hopes that if enough admitted people turn it down that I might.

ashley12

Bronze

Post by ashley12 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:13 am

Interesting that the application deadline was extended a month.

Bmarce

Bronze

Post by Bmarce » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:27 am

ashley12 wrote:Interesting that the application deadline was extended a month.
Is this something that they do often? Do you perceive it as good or bad news?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:07 am

I remember this being talked about in previous threads. I don't think it's uncommon. Why they do it? Not sure. I just remember reading past threads and reading that they did a similar move then too.

ashley12

Bronze

Post by ashley12 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:50 am

Bmarce wrote:
Is this something that they do often? Do you perceive it as good or bad news?
It would make sense if it is a common move for UW. It just seems they are inundated with application files right now, so it would seem to me that they would have wanted to hold off on taking in any more, especially so they could get working on that massive waitlist as soon as deposit deadlines start rolling in.

mahayes99

New

Post by mahayes99 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:22 pm

has anyone heard of any scholarship offers yet? will these be delayed at well considering the extended deadline? I was wondering if it is still too soon to ask about scholarship negotiation, if they haven't sent out offers yet...getting impatient

btw384

Bronze

Post by btw384 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:37 pm

mahayes99 wrote:has anyone heard of any scholarship offers yet? will these be delayed at well considering the extended deadline? I was wondering if it is still too soon to ask about scholarship negotiation, if they haven't sent out offers yet...getting impatient
I still haven't heard anything, but I have two things to consider: 1) UW will not have much money to give out because of the political climate in Wisconsin, and 2) my friend who is currently a 1L at UW said that he did not receive a scholarship offer last year until April 27, which was well after the first deposit deadline.

I am not really sure how would be best to handle that situation, especially if scholarship money is a weighty consideration for you. I plan to let them know in person at the Admitted Students Day in a few weeks that I will need to know my scholarship information by the deposit deadline, at latest, in order to make a decision. I have a very strong interest in attending (it is one of my final two or three choices), but I can't go at sticker/without knowing how much it will cost. I think the admissions/financial aid offices will realize those concerns, and if you were to show genuine interest in attending (i.e. visit campus, attend ASW, or speak with dean or financial assistants by phone to discuss your situation), they would work with you to figure out a solution. My guess is that they are holding out so long because there is only so much money to be allocated, and they want to make the best offers to those applicants who will matriculate and become quality students.

Despite the lack of scholarship funds due to the incompetence of the state government (pardon my political leanings), the officials at the school really do have an interest in seeing the best students attend their institution, and I believe that they will try to accommodate the needs of accepted students with a genuine interest in attending as best they can.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”