UW Madison c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tww909

Bronze

Re: UW Madison c/o 2015

Post by tww909 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:12 am

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:Since you transferred after your 1L, how did that effect your summer job situation?
well for 1L summer i stayed in madison and worked at a smallish firm there, but that was before i knew i was going to transfer.

for 2L summer i did OCI at stanford and ended up choosing a firm that interviews at UW's OCI and i might have gotten even if i'd stayed (though i doubt it). i had multiple offers in chicago, minneapolis, as well as callbacks in nyc and SF/SV. i wanted to be back in the midwest though, so it worked out great for me. my interview season was sort of all over the place, but it's not a big deal because i'm not really dead set on practicing law long term (i want to clerk, work for a few years, and then become an academic).

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Thanks for your replies to all these questions. It gives me some form of hope that, if I land at a good BIG10 school, I can make the transition to a CCNMVP. That's encouraging, right?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:54 pm

I'll be at ASW in a couple weeks- anyone know if WI does a travel stipend?

tww909

Bronze

Post by tww909 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:37 am

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:Thanks for your replies to all these questions. It gives me some form of hope that, if I land at a good BIG10 school, I can make the transition to a CCNMVP. That's encouraging, right?
uh no. unless by "good BIG10 school" you mean michigan, because then you would have already landed MVP. don't go to a school planning to transfer. 90% are wrong about being in the top 10%. i had no idea how i'd do before law school and you shouldn't tell yourself you have any idea either. go to a school whose employment outcomes you are comfortable with and get those outcomes. if you are not satisfied then please, for the love of god, don't go.

the point of my offer was to answer questions about going to UW. please feel free to ask about that.

WannaGo

New

Post by WannaGo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Has anyone seen UW's 2013 ranking yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Chriz

Bronze

Post by Chriz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:36 pm

35 I think.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:03 am

tww909 wrote:
BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:Thanks for your replies to all these questions. It gives me some form of hope that, if I land at a good BIG10 school, I can make the transition to a CCNMVP. That's encouraging, right?
uh no. unless by "good BIG10 school" you mean michigan, because then you would have already landed MVP. don't go to a school planning to transfer. 90% are wrong about being in the top 10%. i had no idea how i'd do before law school and you shouldn't tell yourself you have any idea either. go to a school whose employment outcomes you are comfortable with and get those outcomes. if you are not satisfied then please, for the love of god, don't go.

the point of my offer was to answer questions about going to UW. please feel free to ask about that.
Right. I agree completely, my humor doesn't translate obviously. Everyone who goes to law school thinks they will do great because most have excelled in undergrad. It's a fools game to try and predict law school success based on UG performance. I just find it fascinating that you transferred to SLS. And that the possibility of transferring exists. I would never go to a law school I would not be happy to graduate from.

Still, thanks for the info.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:44 am

minnbills wrote:I'll be at ASW in a couple weeks- anyone know if WI does a travel stipend?
In past cycles, I thought they didn't. Not sure if that's true or if it's changed. Best best: Email the school.

Are you for sure attending Madison?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:36 am

BearsGrl wrote:
minnbills wrote:I'll be at ASW in a couple weeks- anyone know if WI does a travel stipend?
In past cycles, I thought they didn't. Not sure if that's true or if it's changed. Best best: Email the school.

No I have it down to MN, WI, or William Mitchell.

I'm still holding out for a scholarship (I know they're stingy) because it's hard to justify paying more for Wisconsin over Minnesota when I'll be targeting the twin cities for employment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:45 am

minnbills wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

I'm still holding out for a scholarship (I know they're stingy) because it's hard to justify paying more for Wisconsin over Minnesota when I'll be targeting the twin cities for employment.
Choose MN. If you can get over the fact that it's in the Midwest, in snow and in Minneapolis (no disrespect - you have Target Corp. up there), you're golden. And I mean that as a fellow Midwest resident. I've heard good things about WM too though, but MN >WM any day.

tww909

Bronze

Post by tww909 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:16 am

BearsGrl wrote:
minnbills wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

Choose MN. If you can get over the fact that it's in the Midwest, in snow and in Minneapolis (no disrespect - you have Target Corp. up there), you're golden. And I mean that as a fellow Midwest resident. I've heard good things about WM too though, but MN >WM any day.
i'll second this, but maybe for slightly different reasons. the number of people working at firms (assuming law firms are your goal) in the twin cities every year from UW is 5-10/250. now certainly some self selection goes into that and depending on your ties maybe it'll be easier to get to the twin cities than it is for most UW students without ties, but it just makes more sense to go to MN for similar cost.

i will be working at one of faegre/dorsey next summer and i'm pretty confident that if i didn't transfer and stayed at UW at top 5% i probably wouldn't have gotten the job.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:25 pm

I'm still holding out for a scholarship (I know they're stingy) because it's hard to justify paying more for Wisconsin over Minnesota when I'll be targeting the twin cities for employment.[/quote]

Choose MN. If you can get over the fact that it's in the Midwest, in snow and in Minneapolis (no disrespect - you have Target Corp. up there), you're golden. And I mean that as a fellow Midwest resident. I've heard good things about WM too though, but MN >WM any day.[/quote]

i'll second this, but maybe for slightly different reasons. the number of people working at firms (assuming law firms are your goal) in the twin cities every year from UW is 5-10/250. now certainly some self selection goes into that and depending on your ties maybe it'll be easier to get to the twin cities than it is for most UW students without ties, but it just makes more sense to go to MN for similar cost.

i will be working at one of faegre/dorsey next summer and i'm pretty confident that if i didn't transfer and stayed at UW at top 5% i probably wouldn't have gotten the job.[/quote]

I'd agree with this too. I meant my statement in the more general sense since some folks dislike the cold and such. That's 80% of a choice to me - haha. But I think it's more ideal to stay in the region that you want to eventually work in because it will be about making contacts and U of M is a solid school.

brotoss

New

Post by brotoss » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:42 pm

Does anyone have the 2012 stats for UW from the new USNWR

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:14 pm

brotoss wrote:Does anyone have the 2012 stats for UW from the new USNWR
I thought they were around 35 or something. UW's ranking won't matter though. In general at least.

brotoss

New

Post by brotoss » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:33 pm

Just wondering about medians...but now that I think about it they couldn't have changed much from last year

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm

brotoss wrote:Just wondering about medians...
http://law.wisc.edu/prospective/stats.html

brotoss

New

Post by brotoss » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:43 pm

woooooooooosh

I'm off today...thanks. Just realized the most recent numbers have already been up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:45 am

WannaGo wrote:Has anyone seen UW's 2013 ranking yet?
Chriz wrote:35 I think.
Yep, same as last year.

chw123

New

Post by chw123 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:34 pm

I was wondering if anyone could give me my chances on admission? My status are URM 153/3.64. They gave me a fee waiver today so I thought I might apply as I'm interested in practicing in that area (I also applied to MN). Any feed back would be appreciated.
Ps. Not retaking my LSAT so any suggestions besides that.

Thanks!

Chriz

Bronze

Post by Chriz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:05 pm

chw123 wrote:I was wondering if anyone could give me my chances on admission? My status are URM 153/3.64. They gave me a fee waiver today so I thought I might apply as I'm interested in practicing in that area (I also applied to MN). Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I was looking at LSN and it looks like this year a URM with a 152/3.5 was accepted... Obviously other factors apply and without being a URM I don't think you would have a shot but since you are... I'd say you probably have a decent chance.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:03 pm

chw123 wrote:I was wondering if anyone could give me my chances on admission? My status are URM 153/3.64. They gave me a fee waiver today so I thought I might apply as I'm interested in practicing in that area (I also applied to MN). Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks!
It depends on the kind of urm. My LSAT was higher then that other dude and my GPA slightly lower and I got the waitlist. But I'm a Mexican American so we dont really get as large boosts as others. Still begs the question who's making the decisions this year?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:14 am

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:Hey, tww....

Do you mind telling us about other aspects of your time while at UW? For example, were you on a journal and in what capacity? Stuff like that...

Thanks!
I do journal/moot if you have any questions on that stuff, I'd be happy to answer.

PrinceKasra

New

Post by PrinceKasra » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:18 am

I have a question regarding applicants under the urm or leo program. So looking at Wisconsin I noticed they label Middle Easterns under students of color. Does that mean that if a Middle Eastern has a mid 150 lsat score he or she still stands a decent chance at being admitted? I have a friend who has a 3.7 and has a 154 who is Middle Eastern and is waiting for a decision but doesn't know where he stands.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:21 am

PrinceKasra wrote:I have a question regarding applicants under the urm or leo program. So looking at Wisconsin I noticed they label Middle Easterns under students of color. Does that mean that if a Middle Eastern has a mid 150 lsat score he or she still stands a decent chance at being admitted? I have a friend who has a 3.7 and has a 154 who is Middle Eastern and is waiting for a decision but doesn't know where he stands.
I don't believe they publicly discuss what types of boosts are given and to whom.

vaguephoenix

New

Post by vaguephoenix » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:34 am

Panther7 wrote:
BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:Hey, tww....

Do you mind telling us about other aspects of your time while at UW? For example, were you on a journal and in what capacity? Stuff like that...

Thanks!
I do journal/moot if you have any questions on that stuff, I'd be happy to answer.
How did you decide which activities to get involved with? How did you select journal over, say, a clinical? Is one more beneficial than the other?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”