Pitt c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
genius5432

Re: Pitt c/o 2015

Postby genius5432 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:56 pm

I got that same email this morning after not sending in my deposit either.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:22 pm

Id suggest emailing them telling them that you were really interested in Pitt but just couldnt make it work financially. See what happens.

Bgard008

Postby Bgard008 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:32 pm

Any movement for anyone?
I've been under review since 3/13.

Gracchus

Postby Gracchus » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:40 pm

Under Review: 2/23
Admitted: 4/13

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Yea I got that e-mail too... It said to respond if I wished to discuss this matter (the more scholarship money avaliable).

The way it was worded I didn't know how to respond / would have been awkward to just put my typical scholarship negotiation letter there. So I was just completely honest and stated Pitt was number 1 choice but ended up leaning towards Minn when they offered me $69,000 scholarship. Didn't even really ask for more money in that reply (because it said to just reply if I was interested).

Idk, but if Pitt increased my scholarship offer a decent amount I'd be really conflicted

Bgard008

Postby Bgard008 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:34 pm

Gracchus wrote:Under Review: 2/23
Admitted: 4/13

Do you mind sharing your numbers?
Did they notify you via email or snail mail?

Postby 1776 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:09 pm

I plan on driving to Pitt. Any suggestions on where to park, or the best lots?

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:06 am

1776 wrote:I plan on driving to Pitt. Any suggestions on where to park, or the best lots?

Parking in Oakland sucks. There is a deck just off Forbes, I think on Meyran, but I don't know how full it will be. I want to say there's another one near the Pete (Peterson Event Center), but hiking up/down that hill sucks. Otherwise most of Oakland parking is metered at $2/hr.

If you guys have any other questions about Pitt Law or just Pittsburgh in general, and the other guys/girls in this thread haven't answered them, I'm a 2L at Pitt and I'm going to be bored for the next few days (only 1 exam, and it's on May 8th), so feel free to ask. Sorry it's so late in the cycle (too late to be of any use for decisions). I forgot all about TLS until just now, heh.

Postby 1776 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:32 pm

Bedsole wrote:
1776 wrote:I plan on driving to Pitt. Any suggestions on where to park, or the best lots?

Parking in Oakland sucks. There is a deck just off Forbes, I think on Meyran, but I don't know how full it will be. I want to say there's another one near the Pete (Peterson Event Center), but hiking up/down that hill sucks. Otherwise most of Oakland parking is metered at $2/hr.

If you guys have any other questions about Pitt Law or just Pittsburgh in general, and the other guys/girls in this thread haven't answered them, I'm a 2L at Pitt and I'm going to be bored for the next few days (only 1 exam, and it's on May 8th), so feel free to ask. Sorry it's so late in the cycle (too late to be of any use for decisions). I forgot all about TLS until just now, heh.

What about the lot right next to Barco? There are a ton of lots in Oakland. I don't want to rely on street parking if I'm going to be there all day. I did have a summer class there and parked on a neighborhood street a couple of blocks from the Cathederal, but I was pushing it by staying 3 hours. Where can I find lot rates for students?

buddyboss32

Postby buddyboss32 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:55 pm

Panther Hollow Parking lot.... I think it's 4 bucks for the day. Look into it. Gotta do a bit of walking-- maybe 5 minute walk to Barco.

Postby 1776 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks man. $340-$368 isn't bad for a permit. Just emailed them.

beachy

Postby beachy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:04 am

ThreeRivers wrote:Yea I got that e-mail too... It said to respond if I wished to discuss this matter (the more scholarship money avaliable).

The way it was worded I didn't know how to respond / would have been awkward to just put my typical scholarship negotiation letter there. So I was just completely honest and stated Pitt was number 1 choice but ended up leaning towards Minn when they offered me $69,000 scholarship. Didn't even really ask for more money in that reply (because it said to just reply if I was interested).

Idk, but if Pitt increased my scholarship offer a decent amount I'd be really conflicted

I was offered a deans scholarship for 14k/year but that still leaves Pitt more expensive than my instate FL choices so I think Ill have to decline. I just said I was interested but that Pitt was too cost prohibitive esp since Im planning on going into public interest and trying to keep my loan amount down.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:28 am

beachy wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:Yea I got that e-mail too... It said to respond if I wished to discuss this matter (the more scholarship money avaliable).

I was offered a deans scholarship for 14k/year but that still leaves Pitt more expensive than my instate FL choices so I think Ill have to decline. I just said I was interested but that Pitt was too cost prohibitive esp since Im planning on going into public interest and trying to keep my loan amount down.

Pretty sure theres additional PI scholarships available, but I dont know anything about them.

buddyboss32

Postby buddyboss32 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:19 pm

ashen

Postby ashen » Sun May 06, 2012 10:23 pm

Anyone still waiting on a decision?
Been in review since 2/23...
This is the only school in my cycle that I haven't received a decision from.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed May 09, 2012 3:49 pm

all that made the decision to come. welcome to Pitt

I just ended my self ban from here until after finals- so if you have any questions, feel free to ask away, or message me or whatnot...

I will say this- those wondering what to do- read getting to maybe, an/or 1L of a ride... thats it. enjoy your summer and dont read too much. ( and get your eyes checked and glasses/ contacts). Your summer will go by fast, and you may find yourself wishing you hung out, went golfing/ hiking etc more often when you had a chance.

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:05 pm

I have supplements for the following classes:

1L Courses
Criminal Law
Contracts
Civ Pro
Torts
Property
Constitutional Law

Upper Level Courses
Evidence
Bus Orgs
Estates and Trusts
Crim Pro

Also - Getting to Maybe, Law School Confidential, Guerrilla Tactics and other similar materials.

I'd like to sell it all for $125. If you only want some of it, I'm flexible. I'm in Pittsburgh until May 23rd, then I'll be in Cleveland for my SA until August 3rd - then back to Pittsburgh. If those dates don't work, we might be able to work something else out - my girlfriend is staying in the city this summer.

If you're interested or have any questions - PM me. For most of these classes, there is more than 1 supplement (there are 25 books total (E&E's, Emanuel Outlines, Crunchtimes, Seigel's MC) and 11 boxes of notecards - I think there might be doubles of the notecards).

I know not everyone believes in using supplements, but they worked really well for me - esp the practice questions. Not all the books are the latest editions, but I think most of them are - it's what I used.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Sun May 13, 2012 12:44 am

northwood -- Are you happy about making the decision to go to Pitt? How are the employment prospects from your perspective? Do a lot of people you know have summer jobs/full-time jobs, or is there a large amount of people wishing they had never stepped through the door?

I am from Pittsburgh, and plan to remain there for my career, so I am hoping my ties to the area will help in finding employment. However, the TLS hysteria has me always questioning whether the amount of debt I am about to amass will lead to gainful employment.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sun May 13, 2012 2:05 am

I know that that question wasnt directed at me, but NW and I are both 1Ls so Ill add my input for fun.

I dont know many people, if anyone, who regrets coming to law school. That includes people all over the curve with many different aspirations.
As a 1L, I still feel shaky answering questions about employment stuff, but I got a (unpaid) gig pretty easily. I know that there are definitely people with 3.0's with paid jobs though as well as people with like 3.3s with paid jobs in other cities.
Almost everyone Ive talked to is really glad they came to Pitt. I think its largely because of the city. I mean thats why I came here. Pitt was the worst ranked LS I applied to, but I could see myself living here, so I came. I think this especially goes for Pitties. Im really happy I came here for whatever thats worth.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun May 13, 2012 12:33 pm

Kage3212 wrote:northwood -- Are you happy about making the decision to go to Pitt? How are the employment prospects from your perspective? Do a lot of people you know have summer jobs/full-time jobs, or is there a large amount of people wishing they had never stepped through the door?

I am from Pittsburgh, and plan to remain there for my career, so I am hoping my ties to the area will help in finding employment. However, the TLS hysteria has me always questioning whether the amount of debt I am about to amass will lead to gainful employment.

Im very happy that I went to pitt. As of right now, im not sure if I want to stay in pitt, or if I want to go back to NYC after graduation. A lot of people that ive talked to ( keep in mind fellow 1L's) really enjoy it. There have been a few people taht dropped out, and a few more that probably will after the spring grades come out, but only a handful regret going to pitt ( and most of them regret it during exam period)..

I'm not sure about employment stuff- but it was rather easy for me to get multiple summer offers. I ended up taking a position back home- to keep my foot in the door. As long as you dont get caught up on one firm,or one city ( like DC or NY as a summer intern and wait and see) you should be all set. People that ive talked to who did that- are kicking themselves for it now.. but were able to get somethign for this summer.

WOuld i go back to pitt if i could go back in time? Absolutely.

ashen

Postby ashen » Mon May 14, 2012 3:34 am

Disregarding WL hell, my cycle just ended with an admit here!

lawyerinwaiting

Postby lawyerinwaiting » Thu May 17, 2012 9:46 am

withdrew and freed up 16k yesterday, good luck yall!

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri May 18, 2012 8:09 am

northwood wrote:
Kage3212 wrote:northwood -- Are you happy about making the decision to go to Pitt? How are the employment prospects from your perspective? Do a lot of people you know have summer jobs/full-time jobs, or is there a large amount of people wishing they had never stepped through the door?

Im very happy that I went to pitt. As of right now, im not sure if I want to stay in pitt, or if I want to go back to NYC after graduation. A lot of people that ive talked to ( keep in mind fellow 1L's) really enjoy it. There have been a few people taht dropped out, and a few more that probably will after the spring grades come out, but only a handful regret going to pitt ( and most of them regret it during exam period)..

I'm not sure about employment stuff- but it was rather easy for me to get multiple summer offers. I ended up taking a position back home- to keep my foot in the door. As long as you dont get caught up on one firm,or one city ( like DC or NY as a summer intern and wait and see) you should be all set. People that ive talked to who did that- are kicking themselves for it now.. but were able to get somethign for this summer.

WOuld i go back to pitt if i could go back in time? Absolutely.

I know nobody asked me, but I'll throw in my opinion here as a rising 3L. The general wisdom (if you can call it that) of TLS is that if you must go to a T2 school, that it places well regionally, and that it is somewhere you hope to practice after law school. Pitt is very well regarded in Western PA, and you've got a great chance at some meaningful summer experiences that are difficult to get elsewhere. I got a federal judicial externship my 1L summer, and while TLS will tell you that it doesn't matter what you do 1L summer, I'll tell you that I got some second looks by firms that shouldn't have given me a first look thanks to that summer gig. Not to mention, I got the job I am working this summer as a direct result of that one. I don't know anyone who isn't working, although I won't lie to you, some of them got their jobs pretty late in the spring. I know people doing pretty much everything for the summer. Fed PD, USAO, fed judicial, state judicial, PD, DA, biglaw SA, mid/small law SA, PI, in-house (my job this summer), working at the USPTO, and yes, some RAs. Hell, I even know people working in DC, one of which is on the hill.

I know a lot of graduating 3Ls who have jobs lined up, more than I know that don't, but I'm also a patent guy, so that may be the difference maker. All in all, I think Pitt does what they say they do. They place very well in the Pittsburgh area, moreso than some really good schools, and they offer a lot of practical skills classes you won't get most other places. Can I go anywhere I want without law review or a great network connection? No. Do I have more mobility than TLS would suggest? Yes. Am I happy I chose Pitt? Yes.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon May 21, 2012 12:13 pm

I think thats a great point. The TLS view on T2 mobility is likely played up some. I know people (1Ls) who have gigs in various forms in other cities and states including Philly, NYC, DC and other smaller market cities.

YankeeFan2

Postby YankeeFan2 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:06 pm

Just got an email invite to join the admitted students Facebook group. I have been on the WL and have let them know I do want to attend (no LOCIs but did send a few emails). Anyway, was this sent to everyone or should I be expecting an acceptance?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”