Pitt c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
drs36

Re: Pitt c/o 2015

Postby drs36 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:01 am

You should be in a good spot then. I think the endowments are a bit of a crapshoot for 1L's and, at least from my experience, the more interest you show the more likely you'll be to get one. For what it's worth, I got an endowment and I'm pretty sure it was b/c I e-mailed financial aid expressing my undying love for Pitt, lol, and undying need for more aid. So definitely keep at it in a not-annoying way.

Postby 1776 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:19 pm

drs36 wrote:You should be in a good spot then. I think the endowments are a bit of a crapshoot for 1L's and, at least from my experience, the more interest you show the more likely you'll be to get one. For what it's worth, I got an endowment and I'm pretty sure it was b/c I e-mailed financial aid expressing my undying love for Pitt, lol, and undying need for more aid. So definitely keep at it in a not-annoying way.

Word. Should I send another email or anything? I'm pretty sure I'm going to Pitt regardless.

drs36

Postby drs36 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:29 pm

It definitely can't hurt. They won't rescind your admission or current scholarship haha so you should be good to go in sending them an e-mail. Just tell them that financing law school is priority number one, you love pitt etc. Good luck, let me know what they say.

Postby 1693 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:04 pm

Hi everyone,

Been lurking around this thread for quite some time but figured I should start contributing. I was accepted to Pitt in January and it looks like I will be attending. I have never been to Pittsburgh but I am really excited to visit this month-- it looks like a fantastic place. I have never experienced a real winter before either, so I am (kind of?) excited for that lol. Trying to get some money from the school as I wasn't given a scholarship unfortunately (got a big one from the other school I was accepted to but would much rather go to Pitt). Anybody thinking of visiting on March 19th as well? Admitted students day will be tough for me to make, so I am trying to get a hotel voucher to visit in 2 weeks.

Last thing: are the majority of people attending Pitt next year coming straight out of college as well? I am looking forward to being around a big university for a change.

ricking1288

Postby ricking1288 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:51 pm

1693 wrote:Hi everyone,

Been lurking around this thread for quite some time but figured I should start contributing. I was accepted to Pitt in January and it looks like I will be attending. I have never been to Pittsburgh but I am really excited to visit this month-- it looks like a fantastic place. I have never experienced a real winter before either, so I am (kind of?) excited for that lol. Trying to get some money from the school as I wasn't given a scholarship unfortunately (got a big one from the other school I was accepted to but would much rather go to Pitt). Anybody thinking of visiting on March 19th as well? Admitted students day will be tough for me to make, so I am trying to get a hotel voucher to visit in 2 weeks.

Last thing: are the majority of people attending Pitt next year coming straight out of college as well? I am looking forward to being around a big university for a change.

Hey whats up. I'm 98% sure I'm going to be there this fall and I'm in your same situation lol. I have never been there and ASD will be my first time there. I heard its a pretty laid back city which is a great change from NYC/NJ where I'm from lol. I am 2 years out of undergrad. how about u?

Postby 1693 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:07 am

ricking1288 wrote:

Hey whats up. I'm 98% sure I'm going to be there this fall and I'm in your same situation lol. I have never been there and ASD will be my first time there. I heard its a pretty laid back city which is a great change from NYC/NJ where I'm from lol. I am 2 years out of undergrad. how about u?

I'm gonna be graduating in May so I'll be coming straight out of school... I know if I take time off I will never go back lol. Did ya happen to get a hotel voucher from Pitt? I'm trying to get 1 now.

ricking1288

Postby ricking1288 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:19 pm

1693 wrote:
ricking1288 wrote:

I'm gonna be graduating in May so I'll be coming straight out of school... I know if I take time off I will never go back lol. Did ya happen to get a hotel voucher from Pitt? I'm trying to get 1 now.

No I didnt. I'm just going to stay at my buddies place who lives in Shadyside. Apparently that's where a lot of law schools students live, I wanna check at the area too because I mean compared to what I'm paying in Jersey, Shadyside is pretty cheap lol and its pretty close to campus.

Postby 1693 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Yeah that is what I heard- Shadyside, Oakland, & Squirrel Hill seem to be where the majority of law students live. From what I understand as well 2 BR apt + utilities can run about $500/month with a roommate... that is unbelievably cheap.

ricking1288

Postby ricking1288 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:30 pm

yea dude they mean it when they said cost of living was cheap lol. I mean shit now I can buy a 60 inch LED tv for the apartment lol.

Postby 1693 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:37 pm

haha i like where your priorities are... good stuff

Postby 1693 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:07 pm

Just talked to admissions... unfortunately they said they don't have any vouchers/stipends available. I really want to go to Pitt but between no scholarship and no voucher when others have gotten them, it makes me feel as if the school doesn't want me as much lol.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:42 pm

42k for my numbers seems high. ~Half tuition scholarship at 3.0 or better. Definitely something to think about.

mmv23

Postby mmv23 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:38 am

anyone heard anything back on the public interest scholarship? the wait is killing me!

buddyboss32

Postby buddyboss32 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:18 pm

Hey, all. I just sent my first deposit! So maybe I'll be seeing you soon. Until then-- can somebody fill me in on the parking situation for students? I plan on living nearly 20 mins from Oakland, and will want to drive in and out everyday. Can you tell me if I have any good parking options????

thanks

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:16 am

buddyboss32 wrote:Hey, all. I just sent my first deposit! So maybe I'll be seeing you soon. Until then-- can somebody fill me in on the parking situation for students? I plan on living nearly 20 mins from Oakland, and will want to drive in and out everyday. Can you tell me if I have any good parking options????

thanks

I walk so I dont have great insight, but I dont know that parking is the worst. People I know that drive pay something like 4 dollars a day for a spot. And then you still have to walk a decent distance.

Postby 1693 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:15 am

I just booked my flight for admitted students weekend... I can't wait to see the city & school. I've never been anywhere in Pennsylvania besides Penn State so I'm excited to see the city. Hopefully will be able to find a place to live in for next year too.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:14 pm

buddyboss32 wrote:Hey, all. I just sent my first deposit! So maybe I'll be seeing you soon. Until then-- can somebody fill me in on the parking situation for students? I plan on living nearly 20 mins from Oakland, and will want to drive in and out everyday. Can you tell me if I have any good parking options????

thanks

Parking sucks. I'd take a bus; there are a lot of buses that go to Oakland. One day I missed the bus and thought it might be a good idea to drive. Every place was full except the museum parking lot, which I wasn't really supposed to park at anyway because I wasn't a visitor. I paid $15 for the day. The bus is free for Pitt students anyway. So why pay?

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:23 pm

No scholarship. Withdrawing.

neeko

Postby neeko » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:27 pm

superbloom wrote:No scholarship. Withdrawing.

I didn't get one at first and they emailed me a few months later with 10k yr.

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:30 pm

neeko wrote:
superbloom wrote:No scholarship. Withdrawing.

I didn't get one at first and they emailed me a few months later with 10k yr.

Well seeing as its nearly the first seat deposit deadline I can't really wait around. Would've probably needed to be more than $42k for me to go anyways since I'm out of state.

Postby 1693 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:28 pm

bport hopeful wrote:

thanks

I walk so I dont have great insight, but I dont know that parking is the worst. People I know that drive pay something like 4 dollars a day for a spot. And then you still have to walk a decent distance.

Out of curiosity... what area do you live in and do you like it? Also, what particular areas (more so than neighborhood, if you don't mind) do you recommend living in?

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:06 pm

mmv23 wrote:so does anyone know if the 3.0 stipulation on the dean's scholarship is stringent? Do most 1L's keep the scholly after the first year?/are there stats on this anywhere?

thats slightly below median ( like top 55%).

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:28 pm

I am fairly certain that I will be attending Pitt this fall. I am hopeful that I am awarded an endowment to help lessen the burden of some of the costs. My question is: do you think I should wait until endowment decisions are made (end of this month/early April) before I send in my seat deposit? For some reason I have this impression that endowments will be offered to people who haven't yet committed (sent in seat deposit) which is keeping me from sending mine in. Is the incentive to offer endowments primarily to those who haven't committed yet real, or just in my head? I am also nervous of sending in my seat deposit at the last minute, god forbid it gets lost in the mail or something. Any discussion on this is appreciated.

mmv23

Postby mmv23 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:48 am

do you guys know any renting companies to avoid? I'm trying to flag some apartments to check out when I go to accepted students day since I live pretty far away and it would be nice to get some of that stuff out of the way. I was looking online and mozart management looked affordable..but also possibly sketchy? any insight would be awesome. I'm looking mainly in shadyside.

Postby 1693 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:14 am

Kage3212 wrote:I am fairly certain that I will be attending Pitt this fall. I am hopeful that I am awarded an endowment to help lessen the burden of some of the costs. My question is: do you think I should wait until endowment decisions are made (end of this month/early April) before I send in my seat deposit? For some reason I have this impression that endowments will be offered to people who haven't yet committed (sent in seat deposit) which is keeping me from sending mine in. Is the incentive to offer endowments primarily to those who haven't committed yet real, or just in my head? I am also nervous of sending in my seat deposit at the last minute, god forbid it gets lost in the mail or something. Any discussion on this is appreciated.

I'm hoping to get an endowment as well. I am gonna ask them about endowments during the admitted students day, I'll let you know what I find out.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”