Pitt c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
89vision

Re: Pitt c/o 2015

Postby 89vision » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:43 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:No diversity.... its about as white of a city as possible (although as stated, Pitt is different in this aspect)
I guess if someone is from NYC, Chicago, or another large city they might not prefer the smaller Pittsburgh.. but for most I'd reccomend it

The Hill District, the North Side, Arlington Heights, etc; are fairly diverse.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:03 pm

89vision wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:No diversity.... its about as white of a city as possible (although as stated, Pitt is different in this aspect)
I guess if someone is from NYC, Chicago, or another large city they might not prefer the smaller Pittsburgh.. but for most I'd reccomend it

You really included the hill district? I'd imagine most ppl avoid the Hill lol

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:04 pm

89vision wrote:

Dont live in the Hill District.

Everyone on my street in North Oakland is Asian or Indian.

Another great part of Pitt - The Dirty South.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:12 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:
89vision wrote:

You really included the hill district? I'd imagine most ppl avoid the Hill lol

I read your comment as saying Pittsburgh, as a city, is mostly white. There are plenty of diverse neighborhoods. Did you mean Pitt the school of PGH the city? I've been to all those neighborhoods.

soitgoes9

Postby soitgoes9 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:23 pm

Friendship and highland park, Lawrenceville are nice and diverse and good places to live. I also love Sq. hill and regent square.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:32 am

If youre starting to talk where to live, I would say like half of the law students live in Shadyside. Squirrel Hill is ok, but its mostly residential. A little boring for my taste. I havent really been down to regent square, but I imagine its a lot like that. Most all of the students live in either Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, or Oakland which is where the school is located. This is prolly because getting to the school from these places is very easy. The buses in PGh are pretty good.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:15 pm

soitgoes9 wrote:Friendship and highland park, Lawrenceville are nice and diverse and good places to live. I also love Sq. hill and regent square.

Also, East Liberty, although I would imagine Pitt people wouldn't live there.

Lawrenceville is really trying to push redevelopment as well. Brining in a lot of artists, trying to get away from it's past reputation.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:23 pm

89vision wrote:
soitgoes9 wrote:Friendship and highland park, Lawrenceville are nice and diverse and good places to live. I also love Sq. hill and regent square.

Lawrenceville is really trying to push redevelopment as well. Brining in a lot of artists, trying to get away from it's past reputation.

Havent spent a lot a time around Sliberty, but ive heard terrible things.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:33 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
89vision wrote:

Havent spent a lot a time around Sliberty, but ive heard terrible things.

Well, it's great for some things. Not somewhere I would want to live, but one of my friends did live there for a bit. I've walked around there at night, and was fine. Cheap bars too.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:54 pm

Live on the South Side. Its the most fun.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:22 am

bport hopeful wrote:Live on the South Side. Its the most fun.

Fucking expensive though.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:22 am

Did anyone else get the email about applying for the public interest scholarship? I'm def applying, but want to know how much it's for.

soitgoes9

Postby soitgoes9 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:19 am

Just moved to under review. I went complete mid November.

alevin

Postby alevin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:24 am

soitgoes9 wrote:Just moved to under review. I went complete mid November.

Same. Been a while. Good luck!

minkopolis

Postby minkopolis » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:32 am

alevin wrote:
soitgoes9 wrote:Just moved to under review. I went complete mid November.

Same. Been a while. Good luck!

Me too. Went complete mid-December, though.

airbear1012

Postby airbear1012 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:03 pm

Anyone know if trying to negotiate your scholarship at Pitt works? Since I want to work in Pittsburgh they are really my top choice but I cannot justify going with the amount of money they are offering.

mmv23

Postby mmv23 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:10 pm

"Did anyone else get the email about applying for the public interest scholarship? I'm def applying, but want to know how much it's for."

I'm applying too and talked to them about this. Apparently it is between 8 and 14k, it can be added on top of any existing scholarships, and there are usually 1-3 scholars per year depending on their funding situation.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Ok, don't live in the Hill District, Arlington Heights, or the North Side. There are several bad areas in Pittsburgh and some good ones too. Arlington Heights and the North Side are considered bad. The Hill District is the poorest and most heavily crime-saturated area in Pittsburgh, but the other two aren't incredibly far behind. Maybe living in a "bad" area doesn't bother some, but trust me, what you want to do is live on the EAST side of Pittsburgh where there is a bus that goes from your stop straight to Oakland. You don't want to take two buses or travel through downtown. It is nice and helpful to be close to school. The following areas fall into that category: Squirrell Hill, Shadyside, Regent Square, Friendship, Point Breeze, Oakland, and Highland Park. Highland Park and Regent Square are the most diverse out of the options and on the cheaper end. I live in Regent Square and think it's artistic, friendly, convenient, and cool.

If you have any questions about where you should live (e.g. is it safe, expensive or cheap, or close to school) PLEASE e-mail me and don't go off of what these out-of-state Pitt Law students are telling you. At the very least, ask someone who has lived in Pittsburgh BEFORE starting Pitt Law.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:05 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Ok, don't live in the Hill District, Arlington Heights, or the North Side. There are several bad areas in Pittsburgh and some good ones too. Arlington Heights and the North Side are considered bad. The Hill District is the poorest and most heavily crime-saturated area in Pittsburgh, but the other two aren't incredibly far behind. Maybe living in a "bad" area doesn't bother some, but trust me, what you want to do is live on the EAST side of Pittsburgh where there is a bus that goes from your stop straight to Oakland. You don't want to take two buses or travel through downtown. It is nice and helpful to be close to school. The following areas fall into that category: Squirrell Hill, Shadyside, Regent Square, Friendship, Point Breeze, Oakland, and Highland Park. Highland Park and Regent Square are the most diverse out of the options and on the cheaper end. I live in Regent Square and think it's artistic, friendly, convenient, and cool.

If you have any questions about where you should live (e.g. is it safe, expensive or cheap, or close to school) PLEASE e-mail me and don't go off of what these out-of-state Pitt Law students are telling you. At the very least, ask someone who has lived in Pittsburgh BEFORE starting Pitt Law.

I don't think anyone was advocating anyone else to live in those areas. The reason I brought them up is because I read a comment that sounded like the person said Pittsburgh lacks diversity. I was listing neighborhoods and areas with diversity that are in Pittsburgh. You won't have problems if you are smart and live in E Liberty or Lawrenceville. It's so much cheaper than to live in Shadyside. I think Shadyside is way overrated. Sharpsburgh and Aspinwall are pretty affordable to, and close to bus lines. They are fairly diverse, not as much as other areas.

soitgoes9

Postby soitgoes9 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:33 pm

I'm also available to help people talk about places to live.

I'm with 89 i find shadyside overrated.

BTWalk

Postby BTWalk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:54 pm

In review for over a month...time to email??

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:56 pm

BTWalk wrote:In review for over a month...time to email??

Same here.

neeko

Postby neeko » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:59 pm

I was in review for way longer than a month by the time I got in. I believe over 2 months.

BTWalk

Postby BTWalk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:03 pm

neeko wrote:

I was in review for way longer than a month by the time I got in. I believe over 2 months.

Awesome, when did you go into review?

neeko

Postby neeko » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:56 pm

BTWalk wrote:
neeko wrote:

Awesome, when did you go into review?

This is from memory, but I think it was 10/19

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”