Pitt c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
airbear1012

Re: Pitt c/o 2015

Postby airbear1012 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:20 pm

daminor wrote:Congrats to all that have been accepted thus far and good luck to all of those waiting for a response. Although PITT is a highly respected law school, I am hearing mixed reviews about Pittsburgh as a city. I am hearing that the city is dreary and somewhat miserable. Can anyone shed any insight on the city?

I went to Pitt for undergrad and the weather is admittedly pretty terrible. It rains almost everyday, unless, that is it is snowing. The temperature can get low, but certainly not unbearable. I'd say an average winter has mostly a mix of 20's and 30's. Early fall and late spring are pretty nice though, as well as summer. That being said, I still love Pittsburgh. If rain doesn't bother you, then I highly recommend it.

daminor

Postby daminor » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:36 pm

airbear1012 wrote:
daminor wrote:Congrats to all that have been accepted thus far and good luck to all of those waiting for a response. Although PITT is a highly respected law school, I am hearing mixed reviews about Pittsburgh as a city. I am hearing that the city is dreary and somewhat miserable. Can anyone shed any insight on the city?

I went to Pitt for undergrad and the weather is admittedly pretty terrible. It rains almost everyday, unless, that is it is snowing. The temperature can get low, but certainly not unbearable. I'd say an average winter has mostly a mix of 20's and 30's. Early fall and late spring are pretty nice though, as well as summer. That being said, I still love Pittsburgh. If rain doesn't bother you, then I highly recommend it.

Thank you! So, I guess the misery comes from the weather. I guess I will have to make a visit there to check the city and school out.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:42 pm

Pittsburgh overall is not that bad. As others have mentioned, the weather is probably the biggest negative. It is almost always rainy, cloudy, or snowing though there are beautiful days in the summer. Just in my personal opinion the city is not very diverse. It's quite homogenous.

There are plenty of places to keep you entertained and it is easy to get around.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:42 pm

daminor wrote:
airbear1012 wrote:

Thank you! So, I guess the misery comes from the weather. I guess I will have to make a visit there to check the city and school out.

It does rain a lot, but depending on where you're from, its not so bad. Personally, I dig it, but Im from Rochester, NY, and we get snowed on like its going out of style.

--I lazily put off buying an umbrella, and walked a mile to class everyday. I was wet often.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:43 pm

cdelgado wrote:

Pittsburgh overall is not that bad. As others have mentioned, the weather is probably the biggest negative. It is almost always rainy, cloudy, or snowing though there are beautiful days in the summer. Just in my personal opinion the city is not very diverse. It's quite homogenous.

There are plenty of places to keep you entertained and it is easy to get around.

If by not diverse, you mean white as shit, then yeah.

airbear1012

Postby airbear1012 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:51 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
cdelgado wrote:

Yeah, for the most part I agree. Although sticking around the universities helps a little with that problem.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:57 pm

airbear1012 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
cdelgado wrote:

Yeah, for the most part I agree. Although sticking around the universities helps a little with that problem.

The law school is fairly diverse I feel like. Im from White America though, so I might be making it up. Regardless, I dont think that anyone would ever have problems around the university with anything of this nature.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:02 pm

The law school is diverse. The university is as well...so are the other universities in the area.

daminor

Postby daminor » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:09 pm

cdelgado wrote:The law school is diverse. The university is as well...so are the other universities in the area.

I'm confused. So, is there diversity at Pitt or is the law school predominately white? I ask this question based on the previous comments as we all know diversity is not limited to race, other factors make up diversity.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:14 pm

daminor wrote:
cdelgado wrote:The law school is diverse. The university is as well...so are the other universities in the area.

I'm confused. So, is there diversity at Pitt or is the law school predominately white? I ask this question based on the previous comments as we all know diversity is not limited to race, other factors make up diversity.

Pitt is full of diversity and so too the universities in the surrounding area. I was speaking strictly to the city of Pittsburgh itself, not the law school or university.

daminor

Postby daminor » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:16 pm

cdelgado wrote:
daminor wrote:

Pitt is full of diversity and so too the universities in the surrounding area. I was speaking strictly to the city of Pittsburgh itself, not the law school or university.

Got you! Thanks for the clarification!

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:16 pm

cdelgado wrote:
daminor wrote:

I would say this is accurate, though I think most of the law students are upper middle class, but this is just a guess.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:55 am

bport hopeful wrote:
cdelgado wrote:
daminor wrote:

I would say this is accurate, though I think most of the law students are upper middle class, but this is just a guess.

Random fact that I found out today from flipping through my USNWR is that Pitt is on their list of most diverse law schools (it's a pretty long list), but they include the largest minority and the percentage of the school that is that minority, and Pitt is 8% Native American! The only other school with Native Americans as their largest minority group is Oklahoma. I need to start school again...

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:44 am

puremorning wrote:
Random fact that I found out today from flipping through my USNWR is that Pitt is on their list of most diverse law schools (it's a pretty long list), but they include the largest minority and the percentage of the school that is that minority, and Pitt is 8% Native American! The only other school with Native Americans as their largest minority group is Oklahoma. I need to start school again...

If this is true, I would guess some people are stretching their NA background a little bit.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:52 am

bport hopeful wrote:
puremorning wrote:

If this is true, I would guess some people are stretching their NA background a little bit.

True. If I had a drop of any type of minority background in my blood I'd take full advantage of it for law school apps...

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:55 am

puremorning wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
puremorning wrote:

True. If I had a drop of any type of minority background in my blood I'd take full advantage of it for law school apps...

Aint that the truth

soitgoes9

Postby soitgoes9 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:18 am

I did UG at Pitt. The weather is not nice but its not too bad.

The city is not diverse but I feel like even though the ethnic groups are not well represented in percentage but most groups have an active but small prescience in the city. However, Pitt and CMU diverse.

BTWalk

Postby BTWalk » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:18 am

Still under-review...been there for a while 12/7. Any time line??

YankeeFan2

Postby YankeeFan2 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:24 am

BTWalk wrote:Still under-review...been there for a while 12/7. Any time line??

+1

BTWalk

Postby BTWalk » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:37 am

Any idea of when the next round of decisions will be made? Fee like I've been in review since 'Nam.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:13 pm

Same here.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:16 pm

Since 12/5 for me.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:24 pm

As someone who lived in Pittsburgh their entire life, I'm absolutely biased but kind of shocked to see person heard multiple negative views... I think its a wonderful city

Positives:
About as low cost of living for a city possibe
Nice people
City of small communities, has a small town feel but...
Still a ton to do / lots around to do no matter your interests
A pretty city imo

Negatives:
Shitty weather, it rains a ton and from November - March has a dreary gray sky look a decent amount... snow isn't that bad, but they have that too
No diversity.... its about as white of a city as possible (although as stated, Pitt is different in this aspect)
I guess if someone is from NYC, Chicago, or another large city they might not prefer the smaller Pittsburgh.. but for most I'd reccomend it

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:12 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:

+1

I got an acceptance a month after going under review, hopefully you'll hear something very soon!

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:12 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:A pretty city imo

--ImageRemoved--

Yeah. I think its gorgeous here. Im just doing this quick, but you can find some way cooler pictures, which I suggest, because theyre dope. Also, architecture is beautiful here. Im also surprised theres been any negative views. I wouldnt want to be anywhere else right now really.

Also, you get to see this everyday.

Google images the inside of the cathedral of learning. you wont be disappointed.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”