Pitt c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bport hopeful

Re: Pitt c/o 2015

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:29 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:167 / 3.44

Only 12 k a year with a 3.00 stip

I was torn between going to a much higher ranked school or going to Pitt for cheaper (I love Pittsburgh).
Was really hoping for a nice big scholly... It doesn't look like I'll be attending

Even with with in-state so far I've also received acceptance from Minnessota / Washington and Lee

With the scholarships they've given me, the tuition will cost me 20 thousand for both... Pitt will now cost me 16 k.. not really that big of a difference

If you want to be in Pittsburgh, ask for more. Also, fwiw, a 3.0 is below median.

http://www.law.pitt.edu/resources/grades/distribution

Looks like a 3.0 is only like top 70% at worst. Not a terrible stipulation, but yeah, I wouldnt go without more money. Also make sure to consider COL.

soitgoes9

Postby soitgoes9 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:37 am

I wish Pitt would give out more money. It would help with the rankings, although it would also help me...

neeko

Postby neeko » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:59 pm

I was torn between going to a much higher ranked school or going to Pitt for cheaper (I love Pittsburgh).
Was really hoping for a nice big scholly... It doesn't look like I'll be attending

Even with with in-state so far I've also received acceptance from Minnessota / Washington and Lee

With the scholarships they've given me, the tuition will cost me 20 thousand for both... Pitt will now cost me 16 k.. not really that big of a difference

Did your scholarship come in the acceptance envelope?

panthersig

Postby panthersig » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:03 pm

neeko wrote:

Mine came with the acceptance letter

neeko

Postby neeko » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:05 pm

panthersig wrote:
neeko wrote:

Mine came with the acceptance letter

This makes me sad. This school was at the top of my list but there is no way I can pay sticker.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:50 pm

I cannot afford to pay sticker there either (OOS) and given my stats they probably won't throw any $$$ my way, which is a shame given all of the attention Pittsburgh receives in terms of livability and employment.

I should also disclose I have not been admitted yet. I am UR but haven't been for that long.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:24 pm

pitt 1L.. just finished fall semester finals.. will tkae your questions...

neeko

Postby neeko » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:29 pm

northwood wrote:pitt 1L.. just finished fall semester finals.. will tkae your questions...

How do you like the school? The professors? Pittsburgh?

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:53 pm

neeko wrote:
northwood wrote:pitt 1L.. just finished fall semester finals.. will tkae your questions...

I really like the school. For the most part the students here are very helpful. there are a few gunners, but not one likes them in calss, and out of class they are generally nice and approachable. There are a few that are dickheads, but that goes with any school. The rest are very laid back and willing and able to hep out. As for the professors, they are very knowledgable about the subject and willing to help with job searching, but i would only recommend talkign to them after fall semester. I have pinpointed 2 profs that i want to pick their brains, but not before exam grades get handed back. living in pittsburgh is pretty inexpensive, as my apt costs 750 a month, plus 100 for heat, 100 for cable and groceries. You wnt to get a hold of an apt asap..and the common places are shadyside and squirrell hill, but there are some other neighborhoods that are cheapers and just as close without the undergrad shennagigans. Going from out of state to in state isnt hat hard.. ther was one kid in myu section who did it this semester, and he told me that all he did was sign everythign over to pa from his home state ( ohio i think) and at the interfview sold them about why he picked pitt. wasnt taht bad, but he saves more money so its not impossible, you just have to sell it better. The facilites are awesome, and brand new, and while the library hours suck ( 7 30-10 normal semester, and 7 30 to 1145 for finals weeks) theres the UG library thats open 24 hours i think. Or you could force yourself to effect effecient time management and get it done before it all closes. any more questions let me know. If i could do it over again.. id choose pitt.. its totally worth it. all iwould add is if you wnat to go cross coutnry from here, it can be done, but its a bit more difficult.( i want ot stay in the city). The new career services seem determiend to do much better, but msot of it will be on us.. as were not in undergrad anymore..

daminor

Postby daminor » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:54 pm

So is Pitt mainly regional? How diverse is the student body? Pittsburg? I am out of state and am strongly considering Pitt.

northwood wrote:
neeko wrote:

I really like the school. For the most part the students here are very helpful. there are a few gunners, but not one likes them in calss, and out of class they are generally nice and approachable. There are a few that are dickheads, but that goes with any school. The rest are very laid back and willing and able to hep out. As for the professors, they are very knowledgable about the subject and willing to help with job searching, but i would only recommend talkign to them after fall semester. I have pinpointed 2 profs that i want to pick their brains, but not before exam grades get handed back. living in pittsburgh is pretty inexpensive, as my apt costs 750 a month, plus 100 for heat, 100 for cable and groceries. You wnt to get a hold of an apt asap..and the common places are shadyside and squirrell hill, but there are some other neighborhoods that are cheapers and just as close without the undergrad shennagigans. Going from out of state to in state isnt hat hard.. ther was one kid in myu section who did it this semester, and he told me that all he did was sign everythign over to pa from his home state ( ohio i think) and at the interfview sold them about why he picked pitt. wasnt taht bad, but he saves more money so its not impossible, you just have to sell it better. The facilites are awesome, and brand new, and while the library hours suck ( 7 30-10 normal semester, and 7 30 to 1145 for finals weeks) theres the UG library thats open 24 hours i think. Or you could force yourself to effect effecient time management and get it done before it all closes. any more questions let me know. If i could do it over again.. id choose pitt.. its totally worth it. all iwould add is if you wnat to go cross coutnry from here, it can be done, but its a bit more difficult.( i want ot stay in the city). The new career services seem determiend to do much better, but msot of it will be on us.. as were not in undergrad anymore..

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:37 am

pitt is mainly regional, but if you have strong ties and hit them home with wanting to go back when you are done, then you could go back to your home market. As for the studentbody, it all depends on your definiton of diverse. There are a good amount of different walks of life that go there, and different types of cultures and liikes/ dislikes.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:22 am

northwood wrote:
neeko wrote:

Im also a 1L and agree with pretty much all of this. I live in oakland though (where the law building and UG are) and havent had any UG problems. I know that there are gunner lurking around, but I havent really noticed them. Naturally, wherever you are, you arent going to love everyone, but it sort of seems like being a dick is discouraged here -- idk if theres any real truth to this, but its how I feel. Faculty is great for the most part -- though I heard one section had an awful contracts teacher, and my torts teacher was suspect. Also, Leg Reg sucks.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:47 pm

How long has it taken between going under review and having a decision rendered? I went UR 12/7. I know they say it could take 8-12 weeks, but just curious as to other people's experiences. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by 89vision on Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mijenks

Postby mijenks » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:04 pm

89vision wrote:How long has it taken between going under review and having a decision rendered? I went UR 12/7. I know they say it could taken 8-12 weeks, but just curious as to other people's experiences. Thanks in advance.

Mine took about a month.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:13 pm

mijenks wrote:
89vision wrote:How long has it taken between going under review and having a decision rendered? I went UR 12/7. I know they say it could taken 8-12 weeks, but just curious as to other people's experiences. Thanks in advance.

Mine took about a month.

Thanks. When did you apply?

drs36

Postby drs36 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:22 am

bport hopeful wrote:
northwood wrote:
neeko wrote:

Im also a 1L and agree with pretty much all of this. I live in oakland though (where the law building and UG are) and havent had any UG problems. I know that there are gunner lurking around, but I havent really noticed them. Naturally, wherever you are, you arent going to love everyone, but it sort of seems like being a dick is discouraged here -- idk if theres any real truth to this, but its how I feel. Faculty is great for the most part -- though I heard one section had an awful contracts teacher, and my torts teacher was suspect. Also, Leg Reg sucks.

Leg Reg sucks is spot on. Waiting on grades now, also willing to answer Q's. Definitely agree with pretty much everything Bport and Northwood have said.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:01 pm

Was just doing my daily post-work check of all my application statuses and found out I got in here! So happy! I literally said, "holy shit!" out loud. Very much looking forward to visiting now!

neeko

Postby neeko » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:15 pm

puremorning wrote:Was just doing my daily post-work check of all my application statuses and found out I got in here! So happy! I literally said, "holy shit!" out loud. Very much looking forward to visiting now!

Congrats!!!!

ACGator2012

Postby ACGator2012 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:22 pm

In via status checker!

89vision

Postby 89vision » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:32 am

How long did it take to go from UR to a decision?x1,000,000

ACGator2012

Postby ACGator2012 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:46 am

I went under review on 12/7 and was granted admission 1/6. I have yet to review an acceptance email or any scholarship information though.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:28 pm

Went under review 12/5 and accepted 1/5. Haven't gotten physical mail yet though.

daminor

Postby daminor » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:32 pm

Congrats to all that have been accepted thus far and good luck to all of those waiting for a response. Although PITT is a highly respected law school, I am hearing mixed reviews about Pittsburgh as a city. I am hearing that the city is dreary and somewhat miserable. Can anyone shed any insight on the city?

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:38 pm

daminor wrote:Congrats to all that have been accepted thus far and good luck to all of those waiting for a response. Although PITT is a highly respected law school, I am hearing mixed reviews about Pittsburgh as a city. I am hearing that the city is dreary and somewhat miserable. Can anyone shed any insight on the city?

Sometimes the weather sucks, but the city is pretty dope. If you want to do something, youll find something to do. A lot going on for a city of its size. I could see how people from major cities like NY or something might think that, but Ive never heard a class mate complain about the city as a whole.

daminor

Postby daminor » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:07 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
daminor wrote:Congrats to all that have been accepted thus far and good luck to all of those waiting for a response. Although PITT is a highly respected law school, I am hearing mixed reviews about Pittsburgh as a city. I am hearing that the city is dreary and somewhat miserable. Can anyone shed any insight on the city?

Sometimes the weather sucks, but the city is pretty dope. If you want to do something, youll find something to do. A lot going on for a city of its size. I could see how people from major cities like NY or something might think that, but Ive never heard a class mate complain about the city as a whole.

Thank you for your quick response! I have a few more questions about the city so I sent you a PM.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”