Pitt c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ThreeRivers

Re: Pitt c/o 2015

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:27 pm

airbear1012 wrote:I applied in late October and my application hadn't even gone complete as of yesterday. I emailed them that day saying I was really interested in Pitt. I got accepted via status checker today.

Lol, yea I heard showing interest can really make Pitt move. I applied on 11/2 and my status still says "received 11/2." I called on 11/16 to see if they had received all of my materials / tried to start to say how interested I am but was just told "hold on we'll look up your file." Then lady just stated o yes we received your file on 11/5 (I'm guessing maybe she meant paper report, idk), and then told me it should be complete in the next couple days...

mrmojojak

Postby mrmojojak » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:34 pm

I did a tour and sat down with an admissions rep at the beginning of the month, figuring that would show I'm interested. I'm way above both medians but I applied because Pitt is one of my top choices. I just don't want to be YPed.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:10 pm

mrmojojak wrote:I did a tour and sat down with an admissions rep at the beginning of the month, figuring that would show I'm interested. I'm way above both medians but I applied because Pitt is one of my top choices. I just don't want to be YPed.

My numbers are pretty good for Pitt, but I'd imagine the fact I'm from Pittsburgh will prevent me being YPed

srrrrh

Postby srrrrh » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:09 pm

i'm still "application received" as of 11/4 as well..i'll probably end up calling tomorrow just to ask if everything's been received or whatever. also above both 75ths but pittsburgh is pretty close to where i'm from and i wouldn't mind staying in pittsburgh permanently

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:08 am

ThreeRivers wrote:
mrmojojak wrote:I did a tour and sat down with an admissions rep at the beginning of the month, figuring that would show I'm interested. I'm way above both medians but I applied because Pitt is one of my top choices. I just don't want to be YPed.

My numbers are pretty good for Pitt, but I'd imagine the fact I'm from Pittsburgh will prevent me being YPed

I havent heard of too many people getting YPed. A classmate of mine had a 3.94/167, which is very high for Pitt and wasnt YPed. Also, if you feel like you got YPed just ask them to reconsider and they will. They are good about relooking at apps.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:38 am

What's YPed? I'm guessing it has to do with being well over the medians and 75th.

mijenks

Postby mijenks » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:00 am

89vision wrote:What's YPed? I'm guessing it has to do with being well over the medians and 75th.

YP = "Yield Protect" meaning the admissions committee waitlists applicants that are significantly overqualified (and thus unlikely to attend) in order to raise the yield of their admissions offers.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:56 am

mijenks wrote:
89vision wrote:What's YPed? I'm guessing it has to do with being well over the medians and 75th.

YP = "Yield Protect" meaning the admissions committee waitlists applicants that are significantly overqualified (and thus unlikely to attend) in order to raise the yield of their admissions offers.

Thanks.

I sent my application in last week, and listed I am taking the LSAT Saturday. Any idea of when I should expect my decision? Would they accept me before I get the results? Should I call and tell them they're my top choice (they are) and see if they will consider offering admissions before the results? If I got into Pitt, I would probably hold off or withdraw some of my applications. I went to a prospective student day, they sent me a fee waiver (I now have an extra), and I would feel so much more relieved if I heard some good news before xmas (like everyone on here).
Anyone know how they'd view a C&F that stated I had two trips to rehab and a mood disorder? That's what I'm most worried about. Once I had the mental illness taken care of, I my grades improved every semester, and weren't lower than 3.5. Will that be enough proof of recovery? Sorry, I'm just worried because I really want to go to Pitt. I live 25 minutes away, and want to stay in Pittsburgh after graduation. All the Pittsburgh natives on here probably feel the same way.
Thanks for any replies.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:16 pm

89vision wrote:
mijenks wrote:

Thanks.

I sent my application in last week, and listed I am taking the LSAT Saturday. Any idea of when I should expect my decision? Would they accept me before I get the results? Should I call and tell them they're my top choice (they are) and see if they will consider offering admissions before the results? If I got into Pitt, I would probably hold off or withdraw some of my applications. I went to a prospective student day, they sent me a fee waiver (I now have an extra), and I would feel so much more relieved if I heard some good news before xmas (like everyone on here).
Anyone know how they'd view a C&F that stated I had two trips to rehab and a mood disorder? That's what I'm most worried about. Once I had the mental illness taken care of, I my grades improved every semester, and weren't lower than 3.5. Will that be enough proof of recovery? Sorry, I'm just worried because I really want to go to Pitt. I live 25 minutes away, and want to stay in Pittsburgh after graduation. All the Pittsburgh natives on here probably feel the same way.
Thanks for any replies.

I know law schools view honesty very highly. There's a guy I knew who went to Case who had been in rehab and then attended an alternative high school and had a handful of mental illness issues, so while that isn't Pitt, I think you should be ok. I doubt that they will make a decision before receiving your new score though.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:19 pm

puremorning wrote:
89vision wrote:
mijenks wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks for any replies.

I know law schools view honesty very highly. There's a guy I knew who went to Case who had been in rehab and then attended an alternative high school and had a handful of mental illness issues, so while that isn't Pitt, I think you should be ok. I doubt that they will make a decision before receiving your new score though.

One of my advisers said the C&F wouldn't be a big deal, I'm just nervous about it. Otherwise I think my application is solid. Chicago-Kent actually lhas a box you can check to have them make a decision with a pending decision.

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:11 pm

In via status checker just now, 1 week after my tour of the campus.

159/2.85, non-trad w/ WE

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:39 pm

I have a couple minor arrests on my record. I didnt tell them when I applied, but they didnt care when I told them a couple weeks into the semester.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:06 am

bport hopeful wrote:I have a couple minor arrests on my record. I didnt tell them when I applied, but they didnt care when I told them a couple weeks into the semester.

That makes me feel a bit better. I think the waiting period inevitably makes people worry and stress, now that the LSAT prep and test are done. Ugh the longer I wait, the more I want to go to Pitt. I don't regret leaving for undergrad, but I'm ready to come home, and stay here.

I'm graduating this semester, is there anything I can do to help my application or anything? A donor is willing to pay me $200 to travel to Iowa and campaign. If that happens, should I update my resume when I send my final transcript and LSAT? I know it probably won't be an asset, but I want to do all the little things right. Ah the wait is killing me.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:19 am

89vision wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:I have a couple minor arrests on my record. I didnt tell them when I applied, but they didnt care when I told them a couple weeks into the semester.

That makes me feel a bit better. I think the waiting period inevitably makes people worry and stress, now that the LSAT prep and test are done. Ugh the longer I wait, the more I want to go to Pitt. I don't regret leaving for undergrad, but I'm ready to come home, and stay here.

I'm graduating this semester, is there anything I can do to help my application or anything? A donor is willing to pay me $200 to travel to Iowa and campaign. If that happens, should I update my resume when I send my final transcript and LSAT? I know it probably won't be an asset, but I want to do all the little things right. Ah the wait is killing me.

Are you just looking for employment softs with the WE on the campaign? If so, I don't know if that's worth an update though I suppose it cannot hurt.

This wait process is going to cause a heart attack or stroke for me.

PS: looks like we both have applied at UC/Pitt? Both schools at this point may be a reach for me. Sigh.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:37 am

89vision wrote:

Yes update your app. It will show interest and it will also improve your resume. Theres no reason not to. Depending on when you put your app in, an email saying how much you want to go there should help. I was under review for over two months and complete for a long time too. Sent an email and got in the next day.

neeko

Postby neeko » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:38 am

bport hopeful wrote:
89vision wrote:

Yes update your app. It will show interest and it will also improve your resume. Theres no reason not to. Depending on when you put your app in, an email saying how much you want to go there should help. I was under review for over two months and complete for a long time too. Sent an email and got in the next day.

What should the email say? I sent one about a month or so ago and they just told me they were working diligently to review the apps and that was it.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:42 am

neeko wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
89vision wrote:

What should the email say? I sent one about a month or so ago and they just told me they were working diligently to review the apps and that was it.

I basically just said that Id visited the campus, loved the city, that I really wanted to be a part of the community, and that I was excited to hear back from them.

My situation was a little different though, because I didnt get my acceptance until the second week of april.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:02 pm

neeko wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
89vision wrote:

+1, I've heard all these stories about showing interest = hearing back... I just got a similar response as you lol. Still on "application received" since 11-2

89vision

Postby 89vision » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:02 pm

cdelgado wrote:
89vision wrote:

Are you just looking for employment softs with the WE on the campaign? If so, I don't know if that's worth an update though I suppose it cannot hurt.

This wait process is going to cause a heart attack or stroke for me.

PS: looks like we both have applied at UC/Pitt? Both schools at this point may be a reach for me. Sigh.

It's for my own enjoyment. The candidate I'm supporting had no chance in 2008, and is now a frontrunner. I loved campaigning in 2008, and would really like to get some more experience.

Any advice on what to do with the 8 months? I applied to some museum's (history major), but not a lot of job job's hire temporary. I think I'm going to volunteer at the ACLU. I have two part time jobs, and plan to go to Europe in July and August.

Yep, I applied to UC as well. I like the small school, PI focus, and in state tuition. I hope you hear some good news. Why Pitt and UC?
Last edited by 89vision on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:04 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:
neeko wrote:

+1, I've heard all these stories about showing interest = hearing back... I just got a similar response as you lol. Still on "application received" since 11-2

Have you guys heard back from other schools? I think you may be jumping the gun a little bit. If they havent gone through ED apps yet, you may still have some time to wait. 3 or 4 weeks really isnt that long. I know it feels like it, but youll have to make your decisions soon enough. If you are waiting 3 months, and then send an email, you may get a better response.

neeko

Postby neeko » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:06 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:
neeko wrote:

Have you guys heard back from other schools? I think you may be jumping the gun a little bit. If they havent gone through ED apps yet, you may still have some time to wait. 3 or 4 weeks really isnt that long. I know it feels like it, but youll have to make your decisions soon enough. If you are waiting 3 months, and then send an email, you may get a better response.

I applied the first day the app opened. I've been waitlisted at W&L and dinged at Kentucky.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:17 pm

neeko wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:
neeko wrote:

I applied the first day the app opened. I've been waitlisted at W&L and dinged at Kentucky.

Did they open September 1st?

neeko

Postby neeko » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:28 pm

September 15 IIRC

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:39 pm

neeko wrote:September 15 IIRC

Yeah its getting to be a while for you, but you have to remember that they get a flood of apps then, and that they have all the ED apps to go through, and though im not sure if this is true, I wouldnt be surprised if they banged out a lot of URM apps then too.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:01 pm

I just sent an email asking what they'll do with my app because I'm retaking Saturday. I just wanted to show some love, make sure there's nothing else I can do to speed things up, and hope they take not of my interest. Ah god damn I wish I wasn't so impatient. It's only been a week.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”