Pitt c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Bronze

Re: Pitt c/o 2015

Post by 1693 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:20 am

mmv23 wrote:do you guys know any renting companies to avoid? I'm trying to flag some apartments to check out when I go to accepted students day since I live pretty far away and it would be nice to get some of that stuff out of the way. I was looking online and mozart management looked affordable..but also possibly sketchy? any insight would be awesome. I'm looking mainly in shadyside.
Just from browsing old threads I read that Mozart, Equity Real Estate, Forbes Management, Meyers Management, Walnut Capital are good. JJ Land and Lobos is bad (from this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&start=25 ) .

This thread says Mozart isn't good, however. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=1500

This one says Lobos is awful as well http://www.city-data.com/forum/pittsbur ... chool.html

I think I am going to look for an apartment in Shadyside as of now, but we'll see when I visit the school. I really would like to find a roommate though- would make things a lot cheaper.

mmv23

New

Post by mmv23 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:03 pm

1693 wrote:
mmv23 wrote:do you guys know any renting companies to avoid? I'm trying to flag some apartments to check out when I go to accepted students day since I live pretty far away and it would be nice to get some of that stuff out of the way. I was looking online and mozart management looked affordable..but also possibly sketchy? any insight would be awesome. I'm looking mainly in shadyside.
Just from browsing old threads I read that Mozart, Equity Real Estate, Forbes Management, Meyers Management, Walnut Capital are good. JJ Land and Lobos is bad (from this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&start=25 ) .

This thread says Mozart isn't good, however. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=1500

This one says Lobos is awful as well http://www.city-data.com/forum/pittsbur ... chool.html

I think I am going to look for an apartment in Shadyside as of now, but we'll see when I visit the school. I really would like to find a roommate though- would make things a lot cheaper.

Ya that's my plan too. Hopefully finding one or two roommates to split a decent place in shadyside. Thanks for the links though, that helps. I'm looking on craigslist as well. I think I'm gonna stay through saturday the weekend of the accepted students day to check out a couple places. I live in DC now so driving back and forth to find a place later would be annoying.

Bronze

Post by 1693 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:43 pm

mmv23 wrote:
1693 wrote:

Ya that's my plan too. Hopefully finding one or two roommates to split a decent place in shadyside. Thanks for the links though, that helps. I'm looking on craigslist as well. I think I'm gonna stay through saturday the weekend of the accepted students day to check out a couple places. I live in DC now so driving back and forth to find a place later would be annoying.
Yeah thats exactly my plan. I actually am coming from Williamsburg VA so not too far from DC. I'll be staying until Sunday night also checking out the places since it will be the most convenient time to find a place.

genius5432

New

Post by genius5432 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:33 am

Anyone else going to the Pitt Law in Philly event this evening?

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:48 pm

1693 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
buddyboss32 wrote:Hey, all. I just sent my first deposit! So maybe I'll be seeing you soon. Until then-- can somebody fill me in on the parking situation for students? I plan on living nearly 20 mins from Oakland, and will want to drive in and out everyday. Can you tell me if I have any good parking options????

thanks
I walk so I dont have great insight, but I dont know that parking is the worst. People I know that drive pay something like 4 dollars a day for a spot. And then you still have to walk a decent distance.

Out of curiosity... what area do you live in and do you like it? Also, what particular areas (more so than neighborhood, if you don't mind) do you recommend living in?
I live in North Oakland right now. I like some things about it and dislike others. I like being able to walk to class. I dont care for public transportation, or relying on it more. Im also 23 and kind of a piece of shit academically speaking, and really loved UG and the UG mentality, so I dont have being close to campus in that regard. I enjoy being around the young, especially on days like today. Oakland was the happiest place on Earth, excluding Barco.

On the other hand, theres not a lot going on in North O. Shadyside is cooler in that regard. I also live alone and its stupid expensive. I pay 860 a month + 65 for parking + roughly 100 for cable. Im living with 3 others in Shady Side next year and am paying 590. Most law students live in Shady Side, but most of the Pitt grad degenerates live in Oakland or some in South Side. But Ive learned to enjoy them so its give and take.

For most, Id suggest living in Shady Side. Its nicer, and still pretty convenient. I wouldnt live in S. Oakland as it is pretty much a zoo of debauchery. Cheap though.

Squirrel Hill is a little far out of the way for my liking, but its very quiet and residential. Not really my deal though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 1693 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:03 am

bport hopeful wrote:
1693 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
buddyboss32 wrote:Hey, all. I just sent my first deposit! So maybe I'll be seeing you soon. Until then-- can somebody fill me in on the parking situation for students? I plan on living nearly 20 mins from Oakland, and will want to drive in and out everyday. Can you tell me if I have any good parking options????

thanks
I walk so I dont have great insight, but I dont know that parking is the worst. People I know that drive pay something like 4 dollars a day for a spot. And then you still have to walk a decent distance.

Out of curiosity... what area do you live in and do you like it? Also, what particular areas (more so than neighborhood, if you don't mind) do you recommend living in?
I live in North Oakland right now. I like some things about it and dislike others. I like being able to walk to class. I dont care for public transportation, or relying on it more. Im also 23 and kind of a piece of shit academically speaking, and really loved UG and the UG mentality, so I dont have being close to campus in that regard. I enjoy being around the young, especially on days like today. Oakland was the happiest place on Earth, excluding Barco.

On the other hand, theres not a lot going on in North O. Shadyside is cooler in that regard. I also live alone and its stupid expensive. I pay 860 a month + 65 for parking + roughly 100 for cable. Im living with 3 others in Shady Side next year and am paying 590. Most law students live in Shady Side, but most of the Pitt grad degenerates live in Oakland or some in South Side. But Ive learned to enjoy them so its give and take.

For most, Id suggest living in Shady Side. Its nicer, and still pretty convenient. I wouldnt live in S. Oakland as it is pretty much a zoo of debauchery. Cheap though.

Squirrel Hill is a little far out of the way for my liking, but its very quiet and residential. Not really my deal though.
Hey thanks for the assessment... I still like the UG lifestyle myself as well (still in college) and was originally looking at Oakland but you pretty much just convinced me to go for Shadyside... thanks!

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:07 am

1693 wrote:
Hey thanks for the assessment... I still like the UG lifestyle myself as well (still in college) and was originally looking at Oakland but you pretty much just convinced me to go for Shadyside... thanks!
FWIW, i have friends that live in Shady Side and come out with me in Oakland all the time, and when I go out in Shady Side, I always walk home. Either way, youll be able to get a fine experience. Depending on where you live, it might only be like a mile and half. Prolly not walking to class distance, but close enough that you can enjoy all there is to offer so to speak.

Bronze

Post by 1693 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:04 am

bport hopeful wrote:
1693 wrote:
FWIW, i have friends that live in Shady Side and come out with me in Oakland all the time, and when I go out in Shady Side, I always walk home. Either way, youll be able to get a fine experience. Depending on where you live, it might only be like a mile and half. Prolly not walking to class distance, but close enough that you can enjoy all there is to offer so to speak.
good to know. I didn't really expect to be confined to 1 neighborhood since it's a pretty small city. thanks for the heads up! looking forward to seeing the areas soon.

puremorning

Silver

Post by puremorning » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:44 pm

Alright I'm back :-) had to take a little break because law school stuff was totally overwhelming me. In the meantime I got the PI scholly from Pitt, so that put it much higher on my list. I'll probably take up until the very last minute to make my decision though, I really have no idea where I want to go!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bb0913

New

Post by bb0913 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:03 pm

Hey all,

Is anyone attending the ASD on Friday?

ricking1288

New

Post by ricking1288 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:29 pm

bb0913 wrote:Hey all,

I am!!!!! Did you get the email about what case to read?

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:42 pm

ricking1288 wrote:
bb0913 wrote:Hey all,

I am!!!!! Did you get the email about what case to read?
Gunner.

ricking1288

New

Post by ricking1288 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:50 am

Hahaha I'm not a gunner I was just wondering besides touring the school and stuff...what else are we going to do? I mean I've never been to an asd and I was kinda like wtf we gta prepare for class already? Lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:54 am

Hey guys, I won't be attending Pitt Law School but I just want to let you know you'll be moving to a great city / university. (I may be biased if you can tell by my avi). In addition Pitt dominates the Pittsburgh market, so if you have plans of staying here for the long-term its a great move.

Congrats to all who will matriculate!

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:33 am

ThreeRivers wrote:Hey guys, I won't be attending Pitt Law School but I just want to let you know you'll be moving to a great city / university. (I may be biased if you can tell by my avi). In addition Pitt dominates the Pittsburgh market, so if you have plans of staying here for the long-term its a great move.

Congrats to all who will matriculate!
Where are ya headed?

theramblinman

New

Post by theramblinman » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:03 am

Withdrew my app today. I hope some one gets my 12k.

genius5432

New

Post by genius5432 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:50 pm

So who's hosting the party at the Hilton tonight?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:09 am

Everything is set up for ASD. theres balloons.

Bronze

Post by 1776 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:49 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:47 am

I thought Squirrel Hill was about as far away as Shadyside - just that they're parallel to each other. Just remember, Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are the more expensive parts of the city. There are other options. Make sure you stay on the east side of Pittsburgh, though because it's easier by bus.

Steel City Kid

New

Post by Steel City Kid » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Was accepted a while ago, but just mailed in my deposit after being offered a $10K scholarship. It feels great to be coming home after being away for four years...really looking forward to meeting everyone.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Yazzinit

New

Post by Yazzinit » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:18 pm

Still under review sine 2/23, applied early Jan. Anyone else with this much silence? lol

ricking1288

New

Post by ricking1288 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:07 pm

Yazzinit wrote:Still under review sine 2/23, applied early Jan. Anyone else with this much silence? lol

Just call them. The Admissions department is really friendly.

robocall12

New

Post by robocall12 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:28 pm

ricking1288 wrote:
Yazzinit wrote:Still under review sine 2/23, applied early Jan. Anyone else with this much silence? lol

Just call them. The Admissions department is really friendly.

I just went under review a week ago, thinking that it would be a short process considering how long I was in the complete phase. Now I am thinking I might need to prepare for a long wait....

beachy

New

Post by beachy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:08 pm

I didnt send in my seat deposit but I just got an email from admissions asking if Im still interested and letting me know that they have seats and surplus scholarships...does this mean they are willing to offer me money? Has anyone else gotten this email/responded to it?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”