IU-Indianapolis Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MsE

Re: IU-Indianapolis Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MsE » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:16 pm

sammyk wrote:
jvaugh57 wrote:Has anyone spokem with admissions lately and been told about a timetable? I'm sure it would have already been posted, but never hurts to ask.

+1

Per usual, I called today. I was told that they would know more about the number of seats (if any) that they have available by the end of this week. Of course today is Wed, but she blatantly told me that as of today (6-27-12) there was no movement on the Waitlist and that there will NOT be any movement next week either.

She did say my app was reviewed a number of times.....BUT I basically have to WAIT. Like I have been doing since 5-4-12.

Long story short, they will be admitting people up until the first week of classes.

jvaugh57

Postby jvaugh57 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:40 pm

MsE wrote:
sammyk wrote:
jvaugh57 wrote:Has anyone spokem with admissions lately and been told about a timetable? I'm sure it would have already been posted, but never hurts to ask.

+1

Per usual, I called today. I was told that they would know more about the number of seats (if any) that they have available by the end of this week. Of course today is Wed, but she blatantly told me that as of today (6-27-12) there was no movement on the Waitlist and that there will NOT be any movement next week either.

She did say my app was reviewed a number of times.....BUT I basically have to WAIT. Like I have been doing since 5-4-12.

Long story short, they will be admitting people up until the first week of classes.

Wow...how many people will wait that out?? I only applied to one school so my decision is easy, but for everyone else? Dunno what I would do.

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:48 am

Long story short, they will be admitting people up until the first week of classes.[/quote]

so, by admitting people until the first week of classes they mean admitting folks from the WL correct? i know they are still accepting applications thats why i ask such a silly question.

jvaugh57

Postby jvaugh57 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:39 am

MsE wrote:
sammyk wrote:

+1

Your app has been reviewe several times since being w/l'd? That's a better than not being reviewed I guess. I wonder if they've already gone back to the w/l pile and begun reviewing files for possible admissions???

MsE

Postby MsE » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:02 pm

jvaugh57 wrote:
MsE wrote:
sammyk wrote:

+1

Your app has been reviewe several times since being w/l'd? That's a better than not being reviewed I guess. I wonder if they've already gone back to the w/l pile and begun reviewing files for possible admissions???

I am sure they have! It's just a matter of, do they want to admit ppl off of the WL....

MsE

Postby MsE » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:10 pm

sammyk wrote:so, by admitting people until the first week of classes they mean admitting folks from the WL correct? i know they are still accepting applications thats why i ask such a silly question.

In my opinion, both. I really don't know for sure though.

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:18 am

I'm really confused now. so every school has definitely used their wait lists, but not my favorite one!

Im done making predictions now..

JustJeff375

Postby JustJeff375 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:25 am

I spoke with admissions on Tuesday in person. I was told that there aren't many seats if any right now for WL applicants. I was also told "no one has really been taken off the WL" whatever that means. Hopefully I am wrong but it appears to be looking grim guys and gals. I'm preparing to re-apply in September for next year. From what I could tell, there isn't going to be a date when WL'ers start getting pulled in any significant quantity. possibly one or two through the first week of class. That wasn't said explicitly but that was the vibe I got. Sorry for the bad news, I have been thinking about it all week and didn't know whether or not to post.

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:36 am

JustJeff375 wrote:I spoke with admissions on Tuesday in person. I was told that there aren't many seats if any right now for WL applicants. I was also told "no one has really been taken off the WL" whatever that means. Hopefully I am wrong but it appears to be looking grim guys and gals. I'm preparing to re-apply in September for next year. From what I could tell, there isn't going to be a date when WL'ers start getting pulled in any significant quantity. possibly one or two through the first week of class. That wasn't said explicitly but that was the vibe I got. Sorry for the bad news, I have been thinking about it all week and didn't know whether or not to post.

game over..

JustJeff375

Postby JustJeff375 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:50 am

sammyk wrote:
JustJeff375 wrote:I spoke with admissions on Tuesday in person. I was told that there aren't many seats if any right now for WL applicants. I was also told "no one has really been taken off the WL" whatever that means. Hopefully I am wrong but it appears to be looking grim guys and gals. I'm preparing to re-apply in September for next year. From what I could tell, there isn't going to be a date when WL'ers start getting pulled in any significant quantity. possibly one or two through the first week of class. That wasn't said explicitly but that was the vibe I got. Sorry for the bad news, I have been thinking about it all week and didn't know whether or not to post.

game over..

:(

jvaugh57

Postby jvaugh57 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:39 pm

JustJeff375 wrote:
sammyk wrote:

game over..

hmmm...well I'm going to go and get drunk--the kind of drunk where I'm seeing double, stuttering and shamfully passed out in the gutter. Then, when the hangover wears, off I'm going to call Blueprint and set up tutoring so I can get back at the LSAT (note: I'm not advertising for BP). THere's always next year.

I guided self-studied my way to mediocrity...I surely can do better under more regimented conditions. I suggest the rest of you get back on the proverbial horse and not let this get you too down.

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:05 pm

jvaugh57 wrote:
JustJeff375 wrote:
sammyk wrote:

game over..

hmmm...well I'm going to go and get drunk--the kind of drunk where I'm seeing double, stuttering and shamfully passed out in the gutter. Then, when the hangover wears, off I'm going to call Blueprint and set up tutoring so I can get back at the LSAT (note: I'm not advertising for BP). THere's always next year.

I guided self-studied my way to mediocrity...I surely can do better under more regimented conditions. I suggest the rest of you get back on the proverbial horse and not let this get you too down.

theres still some hope though. i mean there has to be some wait list activity. 1 or even 2 spots?

MsE

Postby MsE » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:41 pm

theres still some hope though. i mean there has to be some wait list activity. 1 or even 2 spots?

How is this possible if they have not reached their class size?....According to SammyK's posts...

I know its just FB, but I realistically do NOT think that they have filled 300 seats

MsE

Postby MsE » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:57 pm

ALSO, I called on Wed, and she made it seem like for the whole month of July, people will be taken off of the WL. She never told me that they didn't have "many" seats. She just said, do not expect any movement this week, or even next.

Who did you speak with in the admissions office?!

I do not like these conflicting statements....I want the truth!

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:44 pm

MsE wrote:

ALSO, I called on Wed, and she made it seem like for the whole month of July, people will be taken off of the WL. She never told me that they didn't have "many" seats. She just said, do not expect any movement this week, or even next.

Who did you speak with in the admissions office?!

I do not like these conflicting statements....I want the truth!

i hope youre right MsE!!

JustJeff375

Postby JustJeff375 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:13 pm

I talked with Lindsey. I never said that there was no hope or that no one would be pulled. I just said that the vibe that I got was that there won't be a big pull from the WL suddenly. I agree, if they haven't pulled many or any people from the WL or some other kind of admissions limbo that they haven't told us about, then there is likely no way that they have their seats filled unless they originally admitted way too many students. I personally know of 2 people who were accepted and declined so one would think that there are two seats right there that have opened up. I wasn't trying to give false information in my post. I just repeated what I was told and the feeling that I had while I was speaking with admissions. I want to think that there is still a chance, but like I said even in my half hour meeting with admissions (which I felt went pretty well) there was no talk of "come June, July, August... X date we will have some room to work." It was more like "ehhhh we pretty much have our hands tied at this point..." I have a very comparable GPA and LSAT to other admitted students as well as other WLee's and I've have updated and sent in every LOCI, talked to prof's & admsissions, extra letters of rec etc.. so I think that I'm at least a viable candidate and that I wasn't just being let down easy or something when given the information.

We're all in this together guys. We all want in, we've all worked our asses off for it, and I hope we all get it. I was simply giving you the info that I received and my interpretation of it.

EDIT: ...and as far as the FB representing class size or whatever.. come on man.. there are a large number of older applicants at IU indy that may not use fb. I haven't even looked at the fb and I'm on the McKinney website daily.. I don't believe that the FB like or friend count or whatever is a true measure of anything and certainly not one that you should be basing the prospects of your future on.

MsE

Postby MsE » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:26 am

JustJeff375 wrote:I talked with Lindsey. I never said that there was no hope or that no one would be pulled. I just said that the vibe that I got was that there won't be a big pull from the WL suddenly. I agree, if they haven't pulled many or any people from the WL or some other kind of admissions limbo that they haven't told us about, then there is likely no way that they have their seats filled unless they originally admitted way too many students. I personally know of 2 people who were accepted and declined so one would think that there are two seats right there that have opened up. I wasn't trying to give false information in my post. I just repeated what I was told and the feeling that I had while I was speaking with admissions. I want to think that there is still a chance, but like I said even in my half hour meeting with admissions (which I felt went pretty well) there was no talk of "come June, July, August... X date we will have some room to work." It was more like "ehhhh we pretty much have our hands tied at this point..." I have a very comparable GPA and LSAT to other admitted students as well as other WLee's and I've have updated and sent in every LOCI, talked to prof's & admsissions, extra letters of rec etc.. so I think that I'm at least a viable candidate and that I wasn't just being let down easy or something when given the information.

We're all in this together guys. We all want in, we've all worked our asses off for it, and I hope we all get it. I was simply giving you the info that I received and my interpretation of it.

EDIT: ...and as far as the FB representing class size or whatever.. come on man.. there are a large number of older applicants at IU indy that may not use fb. I haven't even looked at the fb and I'm on the McKinney website daily.. I don't believe that the FB like or friend count or whatever is a true measure of anything and certainly not one that you should be basing the prospects of your future on.

Thank you for your interpretation of what Lindsey shared with you. Of course my latter comment hinted at the FB group. However, I know that there are a large number of ppl who are not on FB (as I am one of them). I was not basing my future prospects on those numbers, I was simply stating that its unrealistic for Indy U to have reached their class size at this point in the game. As much as the Admissions office thinks that their hands are tied, in MY reality.....they will pull a handful from the WL.

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:15 pm

yeah, I'm sorry Jeff that we all put you on the spot there. You were just a messenger!

As for the Facebook group, I know its not a good estimate of class size, but the fluctuating numbers of kids joining and declining is a good measure of the activity at the school. Thats all I used it for.

As for a big wait list pull, I don't see that happening. I do see random pickings occurring through mid July. I think they may just be dissecting the class profile right now and seeing what/who they need to complete the group.

I remember reading somewhere that last cycle they admitted many kids and barely used to the WL and had to trim the class size a bit. I know that IU-Indy is the largest law school in the state with a class size last year of 370. I am really hoping, along with all of you that they are going to keep that class size the same.

This is the year for wait list activity to be really active so I'm just hoping we can catch a break!

JustJeff375

Postby JustJeff375 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:05 am

MsE wrote:
JustJeff375 wrote:I talked with Lindsey. I never said that there was no hope or that no one would be pulled. I just said that the vibe that I got was that there won't be a big pull from the WL suddenly. I agree, if they haven't pulled many or any people from the WL or some other kind of admissions limbo that they haven't told us about, then there is likely no way that they have their seats filled unless they originally admitted way too many students. I personally know of 2 people who were accepted and declined so one would think that there are two seats right there that have opened up. I wasn't trying to give false information in my post. I just repeated what I was told and the feeling that I had while I was speaking with admissions. I want to think that there is still a chance, but like I said even in my half hour meeting with admissions (which I felt went pretty well) there was no talk of "come June, July, August... X date we will have some room to work." It was more like "ehhhh we pretty much have our hands tied at this point..." I have a very comparable GPA and LSAT to other admitted students as well as other WLee's and I've have updated and sent in every LOCI, talked to prof's & admsissions, extra letters of rec etc.. so I think that I'm at least a viable candidate and that I wasn't just being let down easy or something when given the information.

Thank you for your interpretation of what Lindsey shared with you. Of course my latter comment hinted at the FB group. However, I know that there are a large number of ppl who are not on FB (as I am one of them). I was not basing my future prospects on those numbers, I was simply stating that its unrealistic for Indy U to have reached their class size at this point in the game. As much as the Admissions office thinks that their hands are tied, in MY reality.....they will pull a handful from the WL.

We’re all basically saying the same thing. We all think that from what we’ve been told and our understanding of the admissions process a few people will be pulled from the waitlist. I never said differently. We have been talking about what date there will be WL activity. My understanding of (WL activity) was that there would be some kind of significant pull; maybe 10 people. After talking with admissions, while she did not give a specific number, she made it seem like less than ten would be pulled altogether and not all at once but as needed through Aug 20th(<-**!!speculation!!**) I based this speculation on the way she emphasized, “IF we admit anyone off of the waitlist” I forget the exact phrasing, but she said that there aren’t many seats and then I believed further qualified that by saying “if any.” I’m not sure why MSE has an issue with me giving my interpretation of what I was told especially since most of what has been said on this forum is in fact interpretative, opinionative, and speculative in nature. I knew that posting a negative outlook on the situation to this board wouldn’t be received well, but there’s no reason to take it out on me. You can believe whatever you want to believe, but I thought the whole point of our conversation on here was to compile our info from admissions to get a clearer picture of what is actually going on. I was trying to facilitate that process. Just because I think that our prospects as a group aren’t good it does not mean that I can deny your admission, nor does it change the likelihood of you being admitted. I gave up thinking that I was definitely getting in when I didn’t get in, I’d suggest you all do the same.
I feel like this forum has been a really valuable resource. If nothing else just to be able to talk to people who are in the same shitty situation as me has been nice. I cut loose both of my safety-net schools that I was admitted to because I only want to go to McKinney. I’ve got as much riding on this as anyone. The good thing is I think there are only about 4 or 5 of us on here that are WL’ees. Who knows how big the WL actually is but it seems totally plausible that 4-5 seats could be open and we all get in which is still what I’m hoping for. Everyone was getting antsy asking if anyone had heard any new info from admission. I had, so a shared. =]
And no worries Sammy, you weren’t the only one who thought I was full of shit haha. Hopefully I cleared things up at least a little.

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:23 am

I had a theory a few days ago that maybe McKinney was holding out on the June LSAT scores until they get to the wait list. Supposedly those scores come out today.

JustJeff375

Postby JustJeff375 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:32 am

sammyk wrote:I had a theory a few days ago that maybe McKinney was holding out on the June LSAT scores until they get to the wait list. Supposedly those scores come out today.

That makes sense. If that's the case I hope everyone BOMBED. lol =P :twisted:

MsE

Postby MsE » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:16 pm

JustJeff375 wrote:
MsE wrote:

We’re all basically saying the same thing. We all think that from what we’ve been told and our understanding of the admissions process a few people will be pulled from the waitlist. I never said differently. We have been talking about what date there will be WL activity. My understanding of (WL activity) was that there would be some kind of significant pull; maybe 10 people. After talking with admissions, while she did not give a specific number, she made it seem like less than ten would be pulled altogether and not all at once but as needed through Aug 20th(<-**!!speculation!!**) I based this speculation on the way she emphasized, “IF we admit anyone off of the waitlist” I forget the exact phrasing, but she said that there aren’t many seats and then I believed further qualified that by saying “if any.” I’m not sure why MSE has an issue with me giving my interpretation of what I was told especially since most of what has been said on this forum is in fact interpretative, opinionative, and speculative in nature. I knew that posting a negative outlook on the situation to this board wouldn’t be received well, but there’s no reason to take it out on me. You can believe whatever you want to believe, but I thought the whole point of our conversation on here was to compile our info from admissions to get a clearer picture of what is actually going on. I was trying to facilitate that process. Just because I think that our prospects as a group aren’t good it does not mean that I can deny your admission, nor does it change the likelihood of you being admitted. I gave up thinking that I was definitely getting in when I didn’t get in, I’d suggest you all do the same.
I feel like this forum has been a really valuable resource. If nothing else just to be able to talk to people who are in the same shitty situation as me has been nice. I cut loose both of my safety-net schools that I was admitted to because I only want to go to McKinney. I’ve got as much riding on this as anyone. The good thing is I think there are only about 4 or 5 of us on here that are WL’ees. Who knows how big the WL actually is but it seems totally plausible that 4-5 seats could be open and we all get in which is still what I’m hoping for. Everyone was getting antsy asking if anyone had heard any new info from admission. I had, so a shared. =]
And no worries Sammy, you weren’t the only one who thought I was full of shit haha. Hopefully I cleared things up at least a little.

I did not have an issue with you, or your interpretation. I 100% thank you for sharing what you know! I just feel like the two main people we speak with in the admissions office somewhat contradict each other. Hence, why I stated, "I do not like these conflicting statements."

So please continue to voice your opinion.

jvaugh57

Postby jvaugh57 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:05 pm

I think it's the job of the admissions staff to provide info without sending a message of admission chances. When in doubt, I think they would rather leave someone with no hope than give them false hope. The later it gets in the year and the closer to the school year we get, I'm starting to really wonder if there is even small hope. :?: Did score get released today? I haven't even seen a waiting thread.

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:34 am

I was reading in my other school acceptances and other threads how July 1st is when official transcripts are due. Do you think that maybe the hold up for the wait list review we've all been waiting for?

I know scores should be released this week and if my transcript theory is correct we could be in for a very long wait!

jcsimon

Postby jcsimon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:15 am

The biggest issue that waitlisters are experiencing at this point in the game is that some accepted 0L's do not have the common courtesy of even telling the schools they are not going to attend that they have chosen a different school. These students have paid a seat deposit (big deal when it is your parent's money and you are about to spend $100k anyway) and no longer plan on attending. The reason why August WL acceptances are relatively common is that the final calculation of actual seats available is not until these students do not show up to the required orientation on 8/18. It is these inconsiderate students who will not matriculate that force the school to call people on the waitlist right before classes start (and sometimes after). If you are raised inconsiderate, chances are that will never change.
The school has no problem filling seats. In fact, seats are already full and paid for and that is why admissions is not pulling from the waitlist. I know EXACTLY how you guys feel as this happened to me last year. However, early decision is a beautiful thing. Strongly consider early decision if IU Indy is your first choice.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”