IU-Indianapolis Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jvaugh57

Re: IU-Indianapolis Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jvaugh57 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:17 pm

brianels wrote:
jvaugh57 wrote:
brianels wrote:
samodeh wrote:I heard back about the same day they received my LOCI. It could have been a coincidence, because my status had already changed to "Part time". If you want to send an LOCI, keep it to one page and be specific about the types of programs the schools has that fit your future career goals. I start on 5/29. Good luck. :shock:

Are you just in for the summer program or for the fall as well? The way I understood the summer session was it was designed for those IU thought would benefit from the courses but it no way implied future admission into the law school.

I think they've changed the website regarding what it says about the special summer program. It used to say that students in the SSP matriculated into the fall semester regardless of performance in the SSP. Whether or not this has changed recently I don't know, but it used to be the case that once in that program you were admitted.

From: http://indylaw.indiana.edu/admissions/faq.htm#applying

Q: How do I apply for the special summer program?

There is no special application procedure for the summer program. Applicants who are not regularly admitted are considered for summer admission. However, applicants should submit their Law School application form by February 1 to be considered for this program. Students selected for summer admission include applicants the Admissions Committee determines can benefit from a rigorous, individualized summer course. We highly advise applicants who are interested in the summer class to take the LSAT no later than December.

The Special Summer Program through IU Robert H. McKinney School of Law provides instruction in legal writing and a substantive law area. Continuation in the fall semester is not contingent upon performance in the summer program. No additional application is required to be considered for this program; all applicants whose files are complete by February 1 will be given priority consideration. Selection for the summer start is made by the Admissions Committee. Students typically selected for summer admission are those the Committee determines can benefit from a rigorous, individualized summer course.

It used to say something about being admitted directly after the course...they've either just re-worked their website or changed the policy. that would be a question for admissions....my guess would be that if you are allowed to do the special summer program,you'll be admitted. Otherwise why not waitlist them until the semester starts?

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Sun May 20, 2012 9:53 pm

my question is why were we offered summer start? i would rather do that than wait on the wait list. yuck.

btw brianels did you get any news yet?? how was that phone call?

brianels

Postby brianels » Sun May 20, 2012 10:16 pm

sammyk wrote:my question is why were we offered summer start? i would rather do that than wait on the wait list. yuck.

Sammy were you offered SSP too? Ever since I read that line about SSP completion not guaranteeing fall enrollment I asked myself the same question. I mean a foot in the door is still a foot in the door, and why not take the opportunity to impress the school with your potential, but it might take away from time you could be studying for an LSAT retake.

As for the second question, she called me back and said that my application was actively being reviewed by the committee and I should have an answer shortly...whatever that means. I was hoping for an answer on Friday but no dice, here's hoping for Monday!

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Mon May 21, 2012 2:55 am

brianels wrote:
sammyk wrote:my question is why were we offered summer start? i would rather do that than wait on the wait list. yuck.

Sammy were you offered SSP too? Ever since I read that line about SSP completion not guaranteeing fall enrollment I asked myself the same question. I mean a foot in the door is still a foot in the door, and why not take the opportunity to impress the school with your potential, but it might take away from time you could be studying for an LSAT retake.

As for the second question, she called me back and said that my application was actively being reviewed by the committee and I should have an answer shortly...whatever that means. I was hoping for an answer on Friday but no dice, here's hoping for Monday!

oh mistype! I would GLADLY TAKE THE SUMMER START! i meant to say why weren't we also offered the summer start ( as in the WL folk..)

oh, I'm praying for you buddy! heres hoping for your acceptance. once you're in can you please put in a good for the WL people! Thanks! haha

jcsimon

Postby jcsimon » Tue May 22, 2012 9:45 am

Does anyone know when tuition rates for the next school year post? Trying to get the budget made up and to find out exactly how poor I am going to be for the next few years...

Arsenal_Y0G1

Postby Arsenal_Y0G1 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:24 am

jcsimon wrote:Does anyone know when tuition rates for the next school year post? Trying to get the budget made up and to find out exactly how poor I am going to be for the next few years...

Tuition rates will probably be around the same as last year I would assume

jcsimon

Postby jcsimon » Tue May 22, 2012 12:25 pm

It is pretty much a guarantee that tuition rates will rise atleast 3%. My question is if anyone knows when the tuition rates are released. I am in state, so the rates will still be considered very cheap all things considered.

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Tue May 22, 2012 12:30 pm

jcsimon wrote:It is pretty much a guarantee that tuition rates will rise atleast 3%. My question is if anyone knows when the tuition rates are released. I am in state, so the rates will still be considered very cheap all things considered.

i honestly don't think those rates will be released till after the summer program or until they have the class size set. I would say maybe mid June? it should be around last years tuition except slightly higher. maybe?

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Thu May 24, 2012 1:48 pm

hey guys! I'm visiting the law school tomorrow! anyone have any questions or concerns they want me to address while I'm there? maybe ill have a little photoshoot there. Ill take some pics and what not!

brianels

Postby brianels » Thu May 24, 2012 3:44 pm

sammyk wrote:hey guys! I'm visiting the law school tomorrow! anyone have any questions or concerns they want me to address while I'm there? maybe ill have a little photoshoot there. Ill take some pics and what not!

You could ask when they are planning to finish evaluating applications. Yup, 5/24 and still waiting.

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Thu May 24, 2012 4:31 pm

brianels wrote:
sammyk wrote:hey guys! I'm visiting the law school tomorrow! anyone have any questions or concerns they want me to address while I'm there? maybe ill have a little photoshoot there. Ill take some pics and what not!

You could ask when they are planning to finish evaluating applications. Yup, 5/24 and still waiting.

dude, you're still waiting? i thought you got in and forgot about us! haha.

yeah, ill find out whats going in there. June 1st is the last seat deposit and i know they start reviewing WL applicants right after that. thats all i know about the time line. they said that they were trying to finish all initial decisions by the first week of may, looks like they have some stragglers.

jvaugh57

Postby jvaugh57 » Thu May 24, 2012 5:13 pm

brianels wrote:

:shock:

jcsimon

Postby jcsimon » Fri May 25, 2012 9:39 am

It's the accepted students that are on waitlists elsewhere that are causing Indy's waitlist delay. If you are accepted at Indy and on waitlists at NWern and IUB, you are going to wait it out and bail at the last second. Moreover, what is a few hundred dollars down the drain in the form of a seat deposit when you are about to go $100k into debt? So many students pay the seat deposit and never matriculate at Indy. Until the waitlists start moving at the top tier schools, the waitlists at TT schools just stagnate. I got WL rejected in mid August last year, but accepted right off the bat early decision the next year. For those who have average scores and Indy is your # 1 choice, I HIGHLY recommend the early decision program. It saved me a lot of stress and allowed me to enjoy my last summer before being a 1L. I hope you have a waitlist miracle, but I am ultimately glad it worked out the way it did for me (I would have never said that when I was on the waitlist or recently WL rejected though).

brianels

Postby brianels » Sat May 26, 2012 8:16 pm

How did the visit go?

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Sun May 27, 2012 2:56 pm

brianels wrote:

How did the visit go?

visit went better than expected. totally fell in love with the school!

any news on your app??

brianels

Postby brianels » Sun May 27, 2012 7:35 pm

sammyk wrote:
brianels wrote:

How did the visit go?

any news on your app??

Over the holiday weekend? Haha, right. Glad to hear you had a good visit

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Mon May 28, 2012 9:41 am

brianels wrote:
sammyk wrote:
brianels wrote:

How did the visit go?

any news on your app??

Over the holiday weekend? Haha, right. Glad to hear you had a good visit

memorial day weekend miracle. haha. oh well. sometime this week! before june 1st for sure! fingers crossed!

Hm87

Postby Hm87 » Mon May 28, 2012 3:46 pm

Anyone else already admitted and coming from oos? I'm pretty pumped about checking out Indy and starting school. Planning to be all moved in the first week of Aug.

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Tue May 29, 2012 9:00 am

Hm87 wrote:Anyone else already admitted and coming from oos? I'm pretty pumped about checking out Indy and starting school. Planning to be all moved in the first week of Aug.

where did you plan on living? i hear lock field is pretty cheap and most of the grad students live there!

Chants

Postby Chants » Tue May 29, 2012 10:47 am

sammyk wrote:
Hm87 wrote:Anyone else already admitted and coming from oos? I'm pretty pumped about checking out Indy and starting school. Planning to be all moved in the first week of Aug.

where did you plan on living? i hear lock field is pretty cheap and most of the grad students live there!

Lockfield Gardens is primarily iupui undergrad students. But it is relatively cheap.

Hm87

Postby Hm87 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:14 pm

I'm actually going to be living at Canal Square. In fact, they just called me today to let me know they have an address for me. I know its probably one of the more expensive options but I can't complain since it's also the most convenient to campus especially since i'm oos and have no time to come and look, etc.

jvaugh57

Postby jvaugh57 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:50 pm

Hm87 wrote:I'm actually going to be living at Canal Square. In fact, they just called me today to let me know they have an address for me. I know its probably one of the more expensive options but I can't complain since it's also the most convenient to campus especially since i'm oos and have no time to come and look, etc.

I live in Indy. Most of the apartments close to the law school are pretty decent...maybe a little bit expensive, but that's downtown for you. Anything on the canal is espeically cool, if you've not seen it yet you'll see what I mean...That said, the entire complex is nice.

Lockfield aren't too bad either.

congratulations on your admission...hopefully I get picked of the w/l and will be joining you. If you have any questions about living in Indy I can probably help you.

Hm87

Postby Hm87 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Thanks! I hope you and everyone else who is stuck on the w/l and really wants to go to indy gets in...shouldn't be too much longer, June 1st is just a few days away.

jvaugh57

Postby jvaugh57 » Wed May 30, 2012 10:22 am

:) Thanks. I'm predicting mass hysteria and mania on June 1st...Me thinks nothing will happen until later in June, but that's just my opinion. As long as I get in I guess.

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Wed May 30, 2012 11:03 am

Ive already gone crazy. date of diagnosis: 4-11

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”