IU-Indianapolis Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Bgard008

Re: IU-Indianapolis Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Bgard008 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:49 pm

jvaugh57 wrote:
Bgard008 wrote:Decision Letter Sent 4/21. Did you all who received the email have the same status or did you only receive an email?

Did you apply for Full-Time or Part-Time? I've read about people getting an email about their status a day or so after their status changes to "decision letter sent"

Best of luck...stay positive :)

Full time. Thanks.

xChiTowNx

Postby xChiTowNx » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:55 pm

I just got a letter from Dean Roberts about what makes Mckinney attractive - anyone else get it? Just want to know if its marketing or if he really wanted to 'personally welcome' me lol

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:58 pm

xChiTowNx wrote:I just got a letter from Dean Roberts about what makes Mckinney attractive - anyone else get it? Just want to know if its marketing or if he really wanted to 'personally welcome' me lol

Sounds like a generic email that admitted students would get. But I'm sure it's legit info.

Bgard008

Postby Bgard008 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:21 pm

Mailing states that my Decision Letter was sent today. Anyone else see this change? Nothing else has changed, No seat deposits.. Ding?

portlite11

Postby portlite11 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:55 pm

My mailings section showed letter sent the day before my status updated to "decision letter sent". Also, a date and amount due appeared in my seat deposit section the day AFTER my mailings section showed "decision letter sent" and the same day my status updated to "decision letter sent"...I was admitted.

Bgard008

Postby Bgard008 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:42 pm

Awesome! Thanks.
I now too have two different mailing prompts. Decision letter sent and letter sent. Hopefully my situation is the same as yours.

:)

Edit: did you receive and email regarding your decision portlite11?

portlite11

Postby portlite11 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:51 am

Yes, I received an email with my decision. It was sent the next day.

Bgard008

Postby Bgard008 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:50 am

portlite11 wrote:Yes, I received an email with my decision. It was sent the next day.

Admitted Via Email @9am.
Thanks. See you all In August!!
PM me if you are looking for a Roommate.

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:36 pm

You guys can feel free to PM me about student life, housing, classes, etc.

Bgard008

Postby Bgard008 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:52 pm

Is anyone else planning on attending the Summer Program?
Last edited by Bgard008 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:10 pm

Bgard008 wrote:Special Summer Program. Anyone have any opinions on it? Are you taking the scholarship?

Have they started offering spots to this program? ugh, how bad I want to get off of this wait list!

Bgard008

Postby Bgard008 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:15 pm

sammyk wrote:
Bgard008 wrote:Special Summer Program. Anyone have any opinions on it? Are you taking the scholarship?

Have they started offering spots to this program? ugh, how bad I want to get off of this wait list!

Yes, I was offered it today.

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:52 pm

A note about gaining in-state tuition (received a PM about it, figured more of you might be interested):

If you are not in-state when you applied/were admitted, you will NOT NOT NOT be able to become in-state while you are in law school. I know some places let you do this, but the IU system is not one of them.

The ONLY way to gain in-state tuition as a grad student is to live in the state of Indiana for at least ONE YEAR for purposes other than attending school (i.e. working here or moving here with a spouse who works here). Anything short of living here for a year, you WILL be stuck paying out-of-state tuition for law school.

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:28 pm

So, Summer Start offers are now being given out! Awesome! I would easily go for it, if admitted off of the wait list! Any one else riding the wait list out with me?

Also, anyone know of any miraculous success stories of kids getting off the wait list at this school??

jvaugh57

Postby jvaugh57 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:00 pm

sammyk wrote:So, Summer Start offers are now being given out! Awesome! I would easily go for it, if admitted off of the wait list! Any one else riding the wait list out with me?

Also, anyone know of any miraculous success stories of kids getting off the wait list at this school??

I'm still In Review (6 days and counting--not much compared to others but still). I'm thinking I might end up waitlisted...or even worse....I can't even bear to think about it.

What did they say about the waitlist...How many people actually get off of it?

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:03 pm

jvaugh57 wrote:
sammyk wrote:So, Summer Start offers are now being given out! Awesome! I would easily go for it, if admitted off of the wait list! Any one else riding the wait list out with me?

I'm still In Review (6 days and counting--not much compared to others but still). I'm thinking I might end up waitlisted...or even worse....I can't even bear to think about it.

What did they say about the waitlist...How many people actually get off of it?

Dear Mr. ( )

Anticipating that vacancies will occur for the 2012/2013 school year, a waitlist has been constructed. The Committee on Admissions wishes to inform you that you have been placed on this list for the 2012 entering class. Historically, applicants have been admitted from the waitlist. However, we cannot determine the number of candidates that will be offered admission from the waitlist at this time.

We will not rank the applicants on the waitlist. As vacancies occur through August 18, the Committee on Admissions will review waitlisted files and notify candidates who have responded that they are interested in a space in the 2012 entering class if one becomes available.

Please identify if you would like to remain on the waitlist or if you have made other plans by filing out a brief Waitlist response form, available at:
http://indylaw.indiana.edu/admissions/waitlist.cfm

Thank you,
Patricia Kinney, Esq.
Assistant Dean for Admissions

so basically kids have been taken off of the wait list in the past. It seems that I was one of the first wait listers on this thread..I hope this helps ya! Good luck, and I hope you get in!

disconnected

Postby disconnected » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:18 pm

I sent my 2nd LOCI today. My application has been under review for a week now. My first LOCI was 6 weeks ago. Their response of being complete by the first week of May was two weeks ago. Still hoping, although deposited at Syracuse.

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:34 pm

its crazy how people are still waiting for initial decisions! I'm still waiting on one from IIT-chicago kent..

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:34 pm

I think the seat deposit deadline is May 1st, so I'd imagine the WL would start moving after that. I don't know anything more than that. Once you're a student, you have zero contact/insight into what goes on in admissions. Sorry I can't be more help to you guys, I'm sure you're dying to know.

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:00 pm

Someone sent me some questions in a PM, again sharing for everyone:

How do you enjoy the campus and the overall area?
-The overall area is downtown Indianapolis. We're just a few blocks from the statehouse and the rest of downtown. It's very convenient and traffic isn't too bad. The law building itself is WONDERFUL. It's only about 10 years old, has tall ceilings, tons of light, lots of nice amenities (even a cafe with pretty good food). We have a lot of outdoor seating too which is good when it's nice out (more often than you'd think in central IN, believe it or not).

What is a daily feeling you have: depressed, angry, happy, rushed, optimistic, overwhelmed, etc. about the everyday hustle of the law school and your future career?
-I think this really depends on your personality, but I am pretty even-keeled on a daily basis. The first week of classes is always mellow and then it goes in 2-3 week waves of super busy to not so busy. And then of course it's insane the 4 weeks before finals with your memo due plus studying. I'd say most of my classmates have pretty good attitudes.

Are the teachers welcoming and easily contacted before and after class?
-Professors are terrific. They answer emails quickly (even at night and on weekends sometimes), are always available after class (before they're usually busy setting up), and are very personable.

Do teachers cold- call or do they have a system in place?
-Depends on the professor but most do some variation of cold-calling. It really isn't scary though, I promise.

How are the clinics?
-I hear good things, but as a 1L you're so consumed by your 1L classes and your only contact is really with people in your own section, let alone other 1Ls. You get to know the 100ish people in your section very, very well.

Are you on a journal, any thoughts on them?
-The write on competition isn't until after finals. 1Ls can write on (and 2L evening I believe). A certain percentage (maybe top 10 but not sure) can grade on, but they recommend everyone writing on since you don't get grades until after the write on competition is over anyway.

How easy is it to find a place for rent close to school?
-VERY EASY. Cannot stress how easy. But you get what you'd expect for easy: big complexes run by management companies. Nice places, but sometimes a little overpriced and sort of a "big box" deal. You have to hunt a bit more for charm/lower prices but it can be done. Craigslist is a good place to start. I'd personally stick to downtown (downtown through about 16th street north) and then from about 46th(ish) street north through Broad Ripple. I'd steer clear of anything between 16th and 46th though. There's been a lot of gentrification but not in those areas. It can go block-by-block and a lot of it is personal preference but that's widely accepted range, I'd think.

is there public transportation like big cities or do most people drive?
-You need a car here. IndyGo buses are just OK (and ONLY ok- they run only every 30 mins) for getting around immediate downtown)
The only caveat to that is if you live in 2 or 3 of the IUPUI-affiliated apt buildings (not exactly campus housing, but on campus) there is a good campus shuttle that lots of people living in those places will use. Those apt buildings are called 1201 Indiana, The Avenue, and Park Place (though there could be more, I don't really know). So if you don't want to buy a parking pass, I'd look into living in one of those, I know some if not all are furnished.

how much are parking passes?
-Pretty sure they're somewhere between 200-300 for the year. Parking in the lot directly adjacent (read: very convenient, but very competitive) the law building is awesome but since everything is shared with IUPUI undergrads, that lot is always full by about 9am. However, there is a garage that is a less than 5 min walk that's always available.

what is the cheapest apt. building you know of? Do you know of anyone who is looking for a male roommate?
-The cheapest (read: you get what you pay for and is slightly sketchy) apt building that is only about a 5 min drive (and is on one route of IndyGo that is fairly convenient) is called The Raleigh at 108 E. 13th St located right on Meridian (the major street in Indianapolis). It has studios and 1BR for sure, maybe 2. Like I said though, you get what you pay for.
-The apts near campus are all going to range at least $700 for a 1BR, but you're likely going to pay closer to $850-900. You can do more like $650 if you get roommates.
-The further North you get from downtown (broad ripple is what I'd recommend for safety, entertainment, etc) the less you'll pay. I know you can do 3 BR houses in broad ripple for like $400/person.
-Broad Ripple is about a 20-25 min drive to the school (public trans is not an option, unfortunately).

How are exams? Good Luck on your upcoming ones btw!
-Exams are exams. Some are easier, some are more fair. They're not impossible but they're definitely a bitch. I've had/have some closed, some open, some only multiple choice, some mixed multiple choice and essay, and some essay only.

job prospects after graduation? Do you know anyone with a job before they graduate out of state?
-If you come here, you REALLY need to be ok with the idea of practicing in Indiana. I'd say 90% of our grads get jobs here (if they get jobs....)
-The job market is what it is. You can't trust the self-reported states. I'd say we're in the same position as lots of T2 schools in a not-so saturated market.
-Luckily this isn't Ohio and we don't have like 10 law schools- Indy grads dominate the Indianapolis market, so that's helpful.

Does the school help you get internships or are you on your own?
-The school is AWESOME about posting stuff. Once you apply you're obviously on your own, but career services people are good at their jobs to the extent that the job market allows if that makes sense.
-That goes for all of the admin staff here, it really is a great community. That can't be overstated.

Is the school really as nice as the websites makes it seem? It's beautiful!
-It's nicer :) It's really state of the art, I'm not exaggerating.

Is the material in the library up to date?
-Hahahahaha nobody uses printed material that made me laugh. WestLaw will be your best friend and the librarians are awesome at helping with it.
-Speaking of awesome librarians, one just organized having dogs come visit the library a few times last week so we could pet dogs and get snacks! IT. WAS. AWESOME.

How cut throat are the other students for the Top10%?
-It's not very cutthroat. Many students aren't even aware of what a curve is before law school starts.

A WORD RE: SCHOLARSHIPS.
-Most are going to have some kind of stipulation (most in my class is maintain a 3.0 or better). What you MUST realize is the school curves to about a 3.0, so mathematically, half of you WILL lose your scholarships. And if you're out of state when you start, you can't get in- state (more on that below).

ON GAINING IN-STATE TUITION:
If you are not in-state when you applied/were admitted, you will NOT NOT NOT be able to become in-state while you are in law school. I know some places let you do this, but the IU system is not one of them.
-The ONLY way to gain in-state tuition as a grad student is to live in the state of Indiana for at least ONE YEAR for purposes other than attending school (i.e. working here or moving here with a spouse who works here). Anything short of living here for a year, you WILL be stuck paying out-of-state tuition for law school.
I'd add that NOBODY uses TLS or if they do, they don't say so.

I have lots of good things to say about my school because they gave me a fantastic scholarship and I have good grades (top 20%). However, most people feel the same. It really is a wonderful environment.

The job market sucks 0Ls- but if you're coming to law school anyway I'd say you should really give McKinney (the new name) a shot!

I swear I don't work for admissions, I've just had a lot of caffeine and don't want to study any more tonight.

Dear lord that was long, can we sticky that and add it to every year's future IU Indy McKinney thread?

tolson1

Postby tolson1 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:18 pm

Michaela wrote:Someone sent me some questions in a PM, again sharing for everyone:

-The overall area is downtown Indianapolis. We're just a few blocks from the statehouse and the rest of downtown. It's very convenient and traffic isn't too bad. The law building itself is WONDERFUL. It's only about 10 years old, has tall ceilings, tons of light, lots of nice amenities (even a cafe with pretty good food). We have a lot of outdoor seating too which is good when it's nice out (more often than you'd think in central IN, believe it or not).

What is a daily feeling you have: depressed, angry, happy, rushed, optimistic, overwhelmed, etc. about the everyday hustle of the law school and your future career?
-I think this really depends on your personality, but I am pretty even-keeled on a daily basis. The first week of classes is always mellow and then it goes in 2-3 week waves of super busy to not so busy. And then of course it's insane the 4 weeks before finals with your memo due plus studying. I'd say most of my classmates have pretty good attitudes.

-Professors are terrific. They answer emails quickly (even at night and on weekends sometimes), are always available after class (before they're usually busy setting up), and are very personable.

-Depends on the professor but most do some variation of cold-calling. It really isn't scary though, I promise.

How are the clinics?
-I hear good things, but as a 1L you're so consumed by your 1L classes and your only contact is really with people in your own section, let alone other 1Ls. You get to know the 100ish people in your section very, very well.

-The write on competition isn't until after finals. 1Ls can write on (and 2L evening I believe). A certain percentage (maybe top 10 but not sure) can grade on, but they recommend everyone writing on since you don't get grades until after the write on competition is over anyway.

-VERY EASY. Cannot stress how easy. But you get what you'd expect for easy: big complexes run by management companies. Nice places, but sometimes a little overpriced and sort of a "big box" deal. You have to hunt a bit more for charm/lower prices but it can be done. Craigslist is a good place to start. I'd personally stick to downtown (downtown through about 16th street north) and then from about 46th(ish) street north through Broad Ripple. I'd steer clear of anything between 16th and 46th though. There's been a lot of gentrification but not in those areas. It can go block-by-block and a lot of it is personal preference but that's widely accepted range, I'd think.

-You need a car here. IndyGo buses are just OK (and ONLY ok- they run only every 30 mins) for getting around immediate downtown)
The only caveat to that is if you live in 2 or 3 of the IUPUI-affiliated apt buildings (not exactly campus housing, but on campus) there is a good campus shuttle that lots of people living in those places will use. Those apt buildings are called 1201 Indiana, The Avenue, and Park Place (though there could be more, I don't really know). So if you don't want to buy a parking pass, I'd look into living in one of those, I know some if not all are furnished.

-Pretty sure they're somewhere between 200-300 for the year. Parking in the lot directly adjacent (read: very convenient, but very competitive) the law building is awesome but since everything is shared with IUPUI undergrads, that lot is always full by about 9am. However, there is a garage that is a less than 5 min walk that's always available.

what is the cheapest apt. building you know of? Do you know of anyone who is looking for a male roommate?
-The cheapest (read: you get what you pay for and is slightly sketchy) apt building that is only about a 5 min drive (and is on one route of IndyGo that is fairly convenient) is called The Raleigh at 108 E. 13th St located right on Meridian (the major street in Indianapolis). It has studios and 1BR for sure, maybe 2. Like I said though, you get what you pay for.
-The apts near campus are all going to range at least $700 for a 1BR, but you're likely going to pay closer to $850-900. You can do more like $650 if you get roommates.
-The further North you get from downtown (broad ripple is what I'd recommend for safety, entertainment, etc) the less you'll pay. I know you can do 3 BR houses in broad ripple for like $400/person.
-Broad Ripple is about a 20-25 min drive to the school (public trans is not an option, unfortunately).

-Exams are exams. Some are easier, some are more fair. They're not impossible but they're definitely a bitch. I've had/have some closed, some open, some only multiple choice, some mixed multiple choice and essay, and some essay only.

job prospects after graduation? Do you know anyone with a job before they graduate out of state?
-If you come here, you REALLY need to be ok with the idea of practicing in Indiana. I'd say 90% of our grads get jobs here (if they get jobs....)
-The job market is what it is. You can't trust the self-reported states. I'd say we're in the same position as lots of T2 schools in a not-so saturated market.
-Luckily this isn't Ohio and we don't have like 10 law schools- Indy grads dominate the Indianapolis market, so that's helpful.

-The school is AWESOME about posting stuff. Once you apply you're obviously on your own, but career services people are good at their jobs to the extent that the job market allows if that makes sense.
-That goes for all of the admin staff here, it really is a great community. That can't be overstated.

-Hahahahaha nobody uses printed material that made me laugh. WestLaw will be your best friend and the librarians are awesome at helping with it.
-Speaking of awesome librarians, one just organized having dogs come visit the library a few times last week so we could pet dogs and get snacks! IT. WAS. AWESOME.

-It's not very cutthroat. Many students aren't even aware of what a curve is before law school starts.

-Most are going to have some kind of stipulation (most in my class is maintain a 3.0 or better). What you MUST realize is the school curves to about a 3.0, so mathematically, half of you WILL lose your scholarships. And if you're out of state when you start, you can't get in- state (more on that below).

-The ONLY way to gain in-state tuition as a grad student is to live in the state of Indiana for at least ONE YEAR for purposes other than attending school (i.e. working here or moving here with a spouse who works here). Anything short of living here for a year, you WILL be stuck paying out-of-state tuition for law school.

I have lots of good things to say about my school because they gave me a fantastic scholarship and I have good grades (top 20%). However, most people feel the same. It really is a wonderful environment.

The job market sucks 0Ls- but if you're coming to law school anyway I'd say you should really give McKinney (the new name) a shot!

I swear I don't work for admissions, I've just had a lot of caffeine and don't want to study any more tonight.

Dear lord that was long, can we sticky that and add it to every year's future IU Indy McKinney thread?

You deserve shots after this! Moving in late July, I'll remember this post! lol

Bgard008

Postby Bgard008 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:20 pm

Michaela wrote:Someone sent me some questions in a PM, again sharing for everyone:

How are the clinics?

Wow! You're the SHIT. If I end up matriculating I'll look you up. Thanks.

Arsenal_Y0G1

Postby Arsenal_Y0G1 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:29 pm

nice post bgard008

I have been an undergrad here at IUPUI for the last four years and Indianapolis is spectacular. Phenomenal city.

I applied in mid-February and still haven't heard a thing. I went into review on the 18th of April. I applied for either program but I would really prefer to be in the full-time program. Should I notify them of this? Is it probably too late?

All responses are appreciated.

sammyk

Postby sammyk » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:40 am

Arsenal_Y0G1 wrote:nice post bgard008

I have been an undergrad here at IUPUI for the last four years and Indianapolis is spectacular. Phenomenal city.

I applied in mid-February and still haven't heard a thing. I went into review on the 18th of April. I applied for either program but I would really prefer to be in the full-time program. Should I notify them of this? Is it probably too late?

All responses are appreciated.

im betting you'll hear back very soon! They are trying to finish all apps by the first week of May! Good Luck to you!!

Also, lets just say a wait list person gets off and isn't offered any scholly, could that person do really well and earn a scholly for 2L and 3L?

jvaugh57

Postby jvaugh57 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:56 am

How are the clinics?

To piggy-back off of this, I've lived in Indy most of my life and I'm very familiar with the entire city. For those admitted I can answer questions about places to live and the quality of different neigborhoods. PM if have any questions...I'll be on here a lot (as I am anxiously awaiting my own law school fate).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”