IU-Indianapolis Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
run04

Re: IU-Indianapolis Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby run04 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:20 am

[quote="Arsenal_Y0G1"]@run04, what are your LSAT and GPA scores?[/quote

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:53 am

Arsenal_Y0G1 wrote:Does anyone know when the last wave of acceptances went out? I applied in mid-February and have not heard a thing. Thanks in advance.

+1

disconnected

Postby disconnected » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:17 pm

+2

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:32 pm

disconnected wrote:Waiting since 1/4/2012 for a reply. I sent a LOCI last month, they added it to my application. Ugh, please give me a decision before seat deposits on April 15th, aka April 13th due to weekend.

By the way... I have had a couple of schools that I almost forgot about applying to send me acceptance letters this week. I expected IU to be one of them. I find it to be an awful tactic to give you an acceptance only 2 weeks out from their seat deposit. TWO WEEKS!

Two weeks to schedule a visit, negotiate for scholarships and make one of the biggest decisions of your life.

Not cool, guys. Learn some manners (directed at the schools). At least give the late acceptances an extra 2 weeks to give a deposit. It's not our fault you took a year and a day to do your job. If IU offers me an acceptance right before the deadline, then asks me for money ASAP, I'm going to send them an angry letter about how they are scamming people for seat deposits. I've sent two deposits out this week to schools I'm still hugely iffy about, but they are good backups - I know I'll never see that money again, but at least they have offered me a lot of money and they didn't keep me waiting.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:39 pm

LittleBlueBird wrote:
disconnected wrote:Waiting since 1/4/2012 for a reply. I sent a LOCI last month, they added it to my application. Ugh, please give me a decision before seat deposits on April 15th, aka April 13th due to weekend.

By the way... I have had a couple of schools that I almost forgot about applying to send me acceptance letters this week. I expected IU to be one of them. I find it to be an awful tactic to give you an acceptance only 2 weeks out from their seat deposit. TWO WEEKS!

Two weeks to schedule a visit, negotiate for scholarships and make one of the biggest decisions of your life.

Not cool, guys. Learn some manners (directed at the schools). At least give the late acceptances an extra 2 weeks to give a deposit. It's not our fault you took a year and a day to do your job. If IU offers me an acceptance right before the deadline, then asks me for money ASAP, I'm going to send them an angry letter about how they are scamming people for seat deposits. I've sent two deposits out this week to schools I'm still hugely iffy about, but they are good backups - I know I'll never see that money again, but at least they have offered me a lot of money and they didn't keep me waiting.

To be fair, IU-Indy is a fairly regional school and I think they expect, in some sense, that the applicants have been to their school before considering it. I don't mean in terms of attending tours and so on but at least having a basic comfort level with the city of Indianapolis. And at this point, I'd assume (dependent on the case), that scholarship dollars have already been extended. Anything at this point given would be a "gift."

I'm still waiting to hear back from Indy too. This is the nature of the beast though.

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:43 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
To be fair, IU-Indy is a fairly regional school and I think they expect, in some sense, that the applicants have been to their school before considering it. I don't mean in terms of attending tours and so on but at least having a basic comfort level with the city of Indianapolis. And at this point, I'd assume (dependent on the case), that scholarship dollars have already been extended. Anything at this point given would be a "gift."

I'm still waiting to hear back from IU and I'm not sure when everyone else applied, but I'm a January applicant. This is the nature of the beast.

+1 to that. If you applied and seriously think you would come if admitted, you could have checked out the school by now.

FWIW though, I applied in Dec. 2010, was admitted in mid-March 2011, and got my (quite large) scholarship offer in early April. Numbers were 3.15-3.3 and 157-160 (don't wanna out myself).

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:30 pm

Michaela wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
To be fair, IU-Indy is a fairly regional school and I think they expect, in some sense, that the applicants have been to their school before considering it. I don't mean in terms of attending tours and so on but at least having a basic comfort level with the city of Indianapolis.

I'm still waiting to hear back from IU and I'm not sure when everyone else applied, but I'm a January applicant. This is the nature of the beast.

+1 to that. If you applied and seriously think you would come if admitted, you could have checked out the school by now.

I know that seems simple for some, but when you are far OOS with a full time job and other responsibilities, you need to gauge the hours and money you spend to go look at perspective schools. It is very difficult to justify spending the money if the school doesn't show interest in you first. Some of us simply don't have that kind of budget. I have visited 5 of the schools I have applied to, and for a couple of them I will say that definitely the visit swayed my overall opinion of them.

What I am more critical of here is their lack of consideration for giving students time to put down a deposit. Let's say IU is one of your ideal schools. You don't care how much money they do or don't give you, because you want to go there that badly. In the meantime, they have you waiting and another safety school comes along and is offering you lots of money. They are ranked similarly to IU. Even if you are comfortable with IU and you were confident you wanted to go there, IU keeps you dangling until the last possible moment before accepting you. Then they bait you and tell you that if you want to get scholarship money, simply give your deposit and you will be first in line for forfeited $$ after the deadline passes. This is very, very common practice. Especially with state schools who have strong regional pull. Would you give them that deposit if it were you?

Let's say you do. Then comes the summer time and you look at finances realistically. You cannot rationalize spending the money it costs to go to IU, and you attend somewhere else. What just happened there? If you had been given more time to sleep on it and compare the schools, would you have sent them your deposit?

I do agree with you that if you are still sitting around here and caring about their decision, you have probably already decided that IU is the place for you. You may have not cared to bother with safety schools who want to pull you away from IU, making your decision easier. And when they offer you admission at the last minute, chances are you WILL shell out the cash for your seat deposit and your life will be decided. I completely agree with your analogy: it is the nature of the beast.

disconnected

Postby disconnected » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:43 pm

I am also far OOS, Florida and have been accepted to a top 100 law school, Syracuse, but I don't care for the weather of that particular school. I worked in Indiana for 9 years, also lived in the Fishers area for 2. I know Indy, I am a big Colts fan, I attend a game every year except 2011, no point w/ Painter. I have friends in Indy that I could stay with for a law school visit, a local dentist. I have to deposit in 13 days and that leaves very little time for decent plane tickets and proper preparation.

Little Blue Bird, if I had the same acceptances as you have, I would deposit at Miami and wait for IU-Indy to respond. I don't care about the money/scholarships, etc. I will attend law school even if it was double the price. IU-Indy is keeping us dangling until the last possible moment. I might not get accepted, you have a better chance. But the $500 seat deposit is worth losing if I get accept to IU-Indy, imo. It just hurts a little bit, because of their delay.

When IU-Indy does offer me admission at the last minute, I will shell out the cash for your seat deposit, even if I put down both $500 deposits. I want to go, where I want to go.

Star Wars the Old Republic is keeping me occupied until all of my Law School decisions are made. Its a wasteful addiction, but the wait is killing me.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:44 pm

LittleBlueBird wrote:
Michaela wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
To be fair, IU-Indy is a fairly regional school and I think they expect, in some sense, that the applicants have been to their school before considering it. I don't mean in terms of attending tours and so on but at least having a basic comfort level with the city of Indianapolis.

I know that seems simple for some, but when you are far OOS with a full time job and other responsibilities, you need to gauge the hours and money you spend to go look at perspective schools. It is very difficult to justify spending the money if the school doesn't show interest in you first. Some of us simply don't have that kind of budget. I have visited 5 of the schools I have applied to, and for a couple of them I will say that definitely the visit swayed my overall opinion of them.

What I am more critical of here is their lack of consideration for giving students time to put down a deposit. Let's say IU is one of your ideal schools. You don't care how much money they do or don't give you, because you want to go there that badly. In the meantime, they have you waiting and another safety school comes along and is offering you lots of money. They are ranked similarly to IU. Even if you are comfortable with IU and you were confident you wanted to go there, IU keeps you dangling until the last possible moment before accepting you. Then they bait you and tell you that if you want to get scholarship money, simply give your deposit and you will be first in line for forfeited $$ after the deadline passes. This is very, very common practice. Especially with state schools who have strong regional pull. Would you give them that deposit if it were you?

Let's say you do. Then comes the summer time and you look at finances realistically. You cannot rationalize spending the money it costs to go to IU, and you attend somewhere else. What just happened there? If you had been given more time to sleep on it and compare the schools, would you have sent them your deposit?

I do agree with you that if you are still sitting around here and caring about their decision, you have probably already decided that IU is the place for you. You may have not cared to bother with safety schools who want to pull you away from IU, making your decision easier. And when they offer you admission at the last minute, chances are you WILL shell out the cash for your seat deposit and your life will be decided. I completely agree with your analogy: it is the nature of the beast.

Oh, I understand. I've been to various states to check out schools (two cross-country trips so far) but with a school like IU-Indy, it's so regional that out of state students might not even want to apply to it based on cost and regional pull reasons. I think by now, that we should all be looking at the finances at the various schools so that we should know that IU-Indy is a consideration without scholarship money or with money. We can't get to the point of acceptance at a school and then consider the cost ramifications. We should all be examining that prior to getting an acceptance.

I also think it's fair to assume that you should relocate to a region where you have a comfort level, based on your ability to get involved or legal ties. Especially in the economy of today.

I will say that other schools have had "more kind" admissions offices with prompt responses and that's all part of the process too. We have to gauge our interest in a particular school. It's an equal partnership contract. So while I am still awaiting a response from Indy (along with others), I am operating under the assumption that scholarship money is gone and my willingness to still attend.

I still have other schools to hear from too so IU-Indy is just one of the mix. I do wish they had a more friendly way of doing things, but it seems standard and I give them some room because honestly, who wants to work in an ad comm. office right now?

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:51 pm

disconnected wrote:I am also far OOS, Florida and have been accepted to a top 100 law school, Syracuse, but I don't care for the weather of that particular school. I worked in Indiana for 9 years, also lived in the Fishers area for 2. I know Indy, I am a big Colts fan, I attend a game every year except 2011, no point w/ Painter. I have friends in Indy that I could stay with for a law school visit, a local dentist. I have to deposit in 13 days and that leaves very little time for decent plane tickets and proper preparation.

Little Blue Bird, if I had the same acceptances as you have, I would deposit at Miami and wait for IU-Indy to respond. I don't care about the money/scholarships, etc. I will attend law school even if it was double the price. IU-Indy is keeping us dangling until the last possible moment. I might not get accepted, you have a better chance. But the $500 seat deposit is worth losing if I get accept to IU-Indy, imo. It just hurts a little bit, because of their delay.

When IU-Indy does offer me admission at the last minute, I will shell out the cash for your seat deposit, even if I put down both $500 deposits. I want to go, where I want to go.

Star Wars the Old Republic is keeping me occupied until all of my Law School decisions are made. Its a wasteful addiction, but the wait is killing me.

Is there a reason why you're applying all over instead of a general area? Are you open to relocating anywhere?

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:29 pm

BearsGrl wrote:Is there a reason why you're applying all over instead of a general area? Are you open to relocating anywhere?

I have very strong personal ties to the region and would be happy relocating there. It's not just a random school in the pot for me.

disconnected

Postby disconnected » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:35 pm

BearsGrl wrote:Is there a reason why you're applying all over instead of a general area? Are you open to relocating anywhere?

I have a friend that teaches at a private school in the area. He would teach my son. Also My LSAT was soooo low, I practiced out 12-21 points higher in the 30 practice tests. I worked all over the country and have traveled outside to US to 21 other countries. So, yes, I am willing to attend law school anywhere. We are very flexible. I have close family in Florida, California, Quebec city, Indiana, but no one in NY state. My waitlist at Stetson is a pain also, I have been in contact with the Dean there. They are telling me part-time for the first year, aka first summer, fall, spring, second summer, then full time for the second and third years. I rejected that offer.

arae13

Postby arae13 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:57 pm

I thought I had resolved myself to taking a year off but then IU-Indianapolis magically came through with a $13k non-resident merit scholly. I'm worried about the career prospects though, as I'm from Chicago and intend to live and practice here. *sigh*

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:58 pm

arae13 wrote:I thought I had resolved myself to taking a year off but then IU-Indianapolis magically came through with a $13k non-resident merit scholly. I'm worried about the career prospects though, as I'm from Chicago and intend to live and practice here. *sigh*

I'm guessing there is a stip on that scholly? My advice as a current 1L- retake and wait a year. People are having a hard enough time finding work in Indianapolis- Chicago is unheard of. Think about it, they already have 6-7 schools of their own plus lots of STRONG schools that place there.

Imagine if you took the IU Indy scholarship, lost it because of the stip, and ended up paying for 2 more years at a school that isn't going to place you in your target market. No bueno.

arae13

Postby arae13 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:19 pm

Michaela wrote:
arae13 wrote:I thought I had resolved myself to taking a year off but then IU-Indianapolis magically came through with a $13k non-resident merit scholly. I'm worried about the career prospects though, as I'm from Chicago and intend to live and practice here. *sigh*

I'm guessing there is a stip on that scholly? My advice as a current 1L- retake and wait a year. People are having a hard enough time finding work in Indianapolis- Chicago is unheard of. Think about it, they already have 6-7 schools of their own plus lots of STRONG schools that place there.

Imagine if you took the IU Indy scholarship, lost it because of the stip, and ended up paying for 2 more years at a school that isn't going to place you in your target market. No bueno.

Thanks for the insight. I really debated taking it, but tuition for out of state is $43k! That's simply ridiculous...the $13k would barely cover my living expense. Not to mention the fact I'm not keen on leaving the city. I think I'm going to spend my year off throwing myself at NU.

xChiTowNx

Postby xChiTowNx » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:02 pm

In via email!

after quickly breezing through the thread I have no idea how I got in - sub 2.0 gpa, 159 LSAT.
how soon did you get fin aid info? was it in the packet or did you get it after submitting the online grad app?

S-IV

Postby S-IV » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:23 pm

xChiTowNx wrote:In via email!

after quickly breezing through the thread I have no idea how I got in - sub 2.0 gpa, 159 LSAT.
how soon did you get fin aid info? was it in the packet or did you get it after submitting the online grad app?

Can you disclose when your app went complete?

disconnected

Postby disconnected » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:16 pm

I will chime in here.

Status

Term:

Year: 2012

Program Time: Full Time

Degree: JD

Current Status: File Complete

Current Status Date: 1/10/2012

xChiTowNx

Postby xChiTowNx » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:17 pm

S-IV wrote:
xChiTowNx wrote:In via email!

Can you disclose when your app went complete?

Went complete 2/27/2012 - found out i got denied from ICLEO, so my admission had nothing to do with that.

walton23

Postby walton23 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:34 pm

Does anyone know if they give part-time students any scholarship $. I will be well above the 75th percentile LSAT(161) and 75th percentile GPA (3.62) when I apply next fall. I would really like to get a full scholarship or close to it, just haven't found anything about part-time scholarships on here. Thanks.

S-IV

Postby S-IV » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks, ChiTown!

I don't understand the issue here, guys. I went complete 12/9 with numbers at and above median and I've heard nothing. Seat deposit deadlines for other schools are in a week and McKinney thinks it's cool that they'll let us know by the first week of May. I haven't been really frustrated during this cycle until now. Are many others still waiting?

jvaugh57

Postby jvaugh57 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:41 pm

I've been complete since 1/27. I applied for both programs but my numbers are more consistent with the part-time program's. I'm just hoping to get in and not have to re-take the LSAT this fall...but the wait is starting to get to me.

samodeh

Postby samodeh » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:11 pm

jvaugh57 wrote:I've been complete since 1/27. I applied for both programs but my numbers are more consistent with the part-time program's. I'm just hoping to get in and not have to re-take the LSAT this fall...but the wait is starting to get to me.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I was checking my status several times a day until I finally i noticed it switch to "Part Time" instead of "Either" 2 days later I received an Email telling me congratulations. If you went complete back in January, it would not be a bad idea to send them a LOCI and hope for the best

Good Luck

S-IV

Postby S-IV » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Samodeh, would you recommend sending an LOCI to the general admissions email address?

disconnected

Postby disconnected » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:22 pm

This is the email response after a 2nd LOCI to IU-Indy...

Hello,

It is not likely that your file will even go into review until after April 15th. We are attempting to have all files decided before the end of the first week of May.

Thank you,
Lindsey Mosier
Admissions Information Coordinator
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”