Wake Forest 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ash0117

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby ash0117 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:58 am

Once you guys settle on Wake, join me in the Wake Class of 2015 thread! I'm all by myself now...

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=180422

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:43 pm

hey guys,
how does wake inform people that they are accepted/rejected/waitlisted? any idea how many times the application status checker updates/says applicants are "under review" before a decision is rendered?
thanks!

TichoBlanco

Postby TichoBlanco » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:42 pm

Geneva wrote:hey guys,
how does wake inform people that they are accepted/rejected/waitlisted? any idea how many times the application status checker updates/says applicants are "under review" before a decision is rendered?
thanks!

i heard via email...i think it updated like twice, on the two fridays before the email

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:46 pm

Mine was via email. I have no idea how long I was under review for but I was accepted three weeks after I applied in November so I didn't have a chance to think about it really.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:49 pm

TichoBlanco wrote:
Geneva wrote:hey guys,
thanks!

i heard via email...i think it updated like twice, on the two fridays before the email

oh, thanks. hm, i think i've already updated twice since my thursday submission. dun dun dun dun...

adelefan

Postby adelefan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:13 pm

Does anyone know when the Fletcher will be announced?

Gail

Postby Gail » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:06 pm

adelefan wrote:Does anyone know when the Fletcher will be announced?

Wha?

homersimpson12

Postby homersimpson12 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:47 pm

Gail wrote:
adelefan wrote:Does anyone know when the Fletcher will be announced?

Wha?

http://www.wfu.edu/finaid/fletcher.html

looks to me like its for undergrad i didnt know they had one for the law school

adelefan

Postby adelefan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:08 pm

There is a Fletcher for undergrad and the law school. From what I learned from last year's TLS Class of 2014 conversations there is a Fletcher for law school that includes a full tuition scholarship for all three years, and I think there is a small stipend too that covers textbooks or something like that. Only two people get it. Last year it looks like they announced it at the end of the ASDs for scholarship recipients.

So...Now I'm wondering if they're even giving it out this year, since it seems it has not been as publicized as last year. Anyone know?

Gail

Postby Gail » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:22 pm

adelefan wrote:There is a Fletcher for undergrad and the law school. From what I learned from last year's TLS Class of 2014 conversations there is a Fletcher for law school that includes a full tuition scholarship for all three years, and I think there is a small stipend too that covers textbooks or something like that. Only two people get it. Last year it looks like they announced it at the end of the ASDs for scholarship recipients.

So...Now I'm wondering if they're even giving it out this year, since it seems it has not been as publicized as last year. Anyone know?

Maybe they're waiting for the ASDs to finish?

WakeLawAdmDean

Postby WakeLawAdmDean » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:28 pm

Greetings TLSers~

I hope everyone is enjoying Spring weather as we are here in Winston Salem. I thought I might take a moment to address several questions that have been raised in the last week or so. If I miss something you care about, please feel free to contact me directly or ask me directly on TLS.

Waitlist - I considered not responding to the statements made about the waitlist since the poster obviously has no clue what they're talking about, but in the interest of transparency I will respond. I have no idea whether we'll go to the waitlist this year or not. Nobody does. We won't know until after first deposits are processed. Anyone who suggests otherwise is guessing without the benefit of all of the information.

Our first deposit deadline for scholarship recipients is April 15 and for other admitted students is May 15. We may know something more in late April but more likely we'll know something by late May. I would make whatever decisions you need to make based on whatever information you have at the time you need to make them. We have some really amazing folks on the waitlist that I hope we can get into the class, but I won't know until I know.

It is our policy to release applicants from our pool as early as we know that we will not have space for them. Moreover it is also our policy and in our best interest to let you know as soon as possible if we will be able to offer you a spot. Typically what will happen when space becomes available is that I'll send an email to a group of applicants we believe have a chance of coming off the waitlist asking if they want to be considered for the available spot(s). Those who respond within a reasonable time (24 hours or so) are considered for a spot and usually get an offer. Those who do not respond or respond indicating no interest are removed from the waitlist. Of course, it will save us all time if applicants remove themselves from the waitlist if they decide an offer from Wake Law is no longer a viable option for whatever reason.

Last year we were over-enrolled all Summer. So, while we did make a few offers, only one person came into the class off the waitlist. That person was informed literally the first day of orientation. For those of you for whom Wake is a dream school, your number one, I would say having the flexibility to attend at the last second can really work to your advantage. If you are someone who remains on the waitlist going into August and would "drop everything" to come to Wake, you should let me know. Although applicants who aren't admissible won't get this opportunity if you are otherwise qualified to be in the class and I can find a space for you, I will.

If you get an offer from the waitlist, we'll generally expect a commitment within a short timeframe. This commitment will require you to withdraw commitments at other schools, although we understand you may leave other waitlist opportunities open.

Scholarships - Currently our scholarship budget is fully commited. We don't anticipate having much more money to offer in this cycle, although the acceptance rates are hard to predict.

I am considering making offers for next year (2013) with our standard generous schoalrship awards to highly qualified applicants. In fact, given the increase in our applicant pool and the higher qualifications so far, we may only have offers for Fall 2013 available. This is admittedly unorthodox but an offer some late applicants may find appealing, especially if they are currently working or are considering a Fulbright, TFA, etc. I am trying to hold out for first deposits before making this decision, but may have to bite the bullet. My reasoning is that making an offer to highly credentialed applicants with a scholarship for the next cycle would be more reflective of our desire to have them attend Wake than to make an offer to sit on our waitlist or even an offer of admission without a scholarship for this year. So, don't be completely thrown if you receive such an offer. Feel free to email me your thoughts on this potential plan. I am still pondering it.

The Fletcher Scholarship - We do have two full ride plus stipend awards that we make each year from students we've met either through campus visits or our admitted student days. We also evaluate resumes and other academic achievement in making our selection. Fletcher Scholars in previous years have applied with LSAT and GPAs at or above our 75%ile.

Remaining decisions - *We won't be releasing decisions today. I've decided to hold off on any additional decisions until next Thursday.* As I indicated earlier if you would be admitted except for our lack of space, I am trying to hold of on making an offer to determine whether I can offer a spot in this year's class or will have to make an offer for next year or place you on the waitlist. Again lack of remaining scholarship funding makes this decision complicated. Call me if you have questions about your specific situation.

I am open to questions on any of these topics, especially if something seems inconsistent or unclear. As always contact me directly if you want to discuss anything you don't want to post here.

Jay Shively
Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid
Wake Forest University | School of Law
(336) 758-5705
shivelrj@wfu.edu
http://www.law.wfu.edu

* Correction from my earlier post.

AndShe__Was

Postby AndShe__Was » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:59 am

BattleshipDon wrote:So, this might be a stupid question, but I'm planning to be at the March 23 ASW. Is it really only 9-2? Seems a bit light for a visit 'weekend'. I was just at Ohio State and there was a legit 12-5 and 8-1 on Fri/Sat. Any thoughts?

I went to the ASD a couple weeks ago, it's more like 9-3 depending on how long you chitchat after lunch. I was skeptical about how short it was as well but they really pack a lot in: tour/class/student Q and A/breakfast meet & greet. Plus this gives you some time to explore the city a bit more!

TichoBlanco

Postby TichoBlanco » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:02 pm

I just went to RSVP for the April 14th ASD and noticed it has been moved to Friday the 13th. This is slightly inconvenient since I live in NJ and will have to miss class to go down. Is going to ASD worth it versus making a private appointment for a tour?

Bashy

Postby Bashy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:29 pm

TichoBlanco wrote:I just went to RSVP for the April 14th ASD and noticed it has been moved to Friday the 13th. This is slightly inconvenient since I live in NJ and will have to miss class to go down. Is going to ASD worth it versus making a private appointment for a tour?

I didn't do a private tour, but I did attend the recent ASD. I really enjoyed the student panel at the end of the ASD, as well as sitting in on a class and talking with the professors on a small scale. I think a tour would include sitting in on a class, and I can't imagine you having any trouble flagging down a student or professor to speak with them/ask questions, but if you're serious about Wake I think the ASD is the way to go.

Gail

Postby Gail » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:48 pm

TichoBlanco wrote:I just went to RSVP for the April 14th ASD and noticed it has been moved to Friday the 13th. This is slightly inconvenient since I live in NJ and will have to miss class to go down. Is going to ASD worth it versus making a private appointment for a tour?

I don't know how important it is to attend any ASW/ASD. The biggest benefit is just getting to see the campus that you'll be staying at for 3 years and getting a feel for the incoming class. You'll get the same information from every place and it's always going to be a sales job. That's true for everywhere.

For me, WFU is a very beautiful place and so it was worth going down just for that. Other than that, accept what everyone says about Wake Forest as true. The people there are very nice. The administration is enthusiastic, the students came from all over, and it was a nice time.

Then again, so much of social events are what you make of them. I'm pretty comfortable with talking to people I don't know, so I get along all right. If you're shy, you could come off with a completely different perspective.

ellfti

Postby ellfti » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:42 pm

Waitlisted earlier in March-- Just accepted to UNC. Going to Carolina.

GPA 3.67
LSAT 159

Throwaway2142

Postby Throwaway2142 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:03 pm

Can anyone clarify the exact stipulations of the merit scholarships wake forest gives out? What exactly counts as remaining in "good standing?" Is it at all related to, say, staying in the top 50% or something of the class or just simply not failing out type deal?

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:31 pm

Throwaway2142 wrote:Can anyone clarify the exact stipulations of the merit scholarships wake forest gives out? What exactly counts as remaining in "good standing?" Is it at all related to, say, staying in the top 50% or something of the class or just simply not failing out type deal?

It's just a no failing out type thing. They used to have tougher stips, but for us we just can't flunk out. Makes me much less stressed!

parebare23

Postby parebare23 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:39 pm

Loved Wake when I visited this year, but just got into UNC this weekend.. now I don't know what to do!!

WakeLawAdmDean

Postby WakeLawAdmDean » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:53 pm

Greetings TLSers~

Good Standing means you need to be academically eligible to continue in the program. You can't fail out or get kicked out for disciplinary reasons. That's it.

Jay Shively
Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid
Wake Forest University | School of Law

TichoBlanco

Postby TichoBlanco » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:11 am

WakeLawAdmDean wrote:Good Standing means you need to be academically eligible to continue in the program. You can't fail out or get kicked out for disciplinary reasons. That's it.

The certainty that I will have my scholarship for all three years is a major reason I am choosing Wake. All my other offers had top 50% stips. It's nice to not have to feel like I am competing with all my classmates to keep our scholarships.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:17 am

TichoBlanco wrote:
WakeLawAdmDean wrote:Good Standing means you need to be academically eligible to continue in the program. You can't fail out or get kicked out for disciplinary reasons. That's it.

The certainty that I will have my scholarship for all three years is a major reason I am choosing Wake. All my other offers had top 50% stips. It's nice to not have to feel like I am competing with all my classmates to keep our scholarships.

SMART MOVE. :-) Also, yay for making a decision on a law school!

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:20 pm

Geneva wrote:
TichoBlanco wrote:

SMART MOVE. :-) Also, yay for making a decision on a law school!

The 2Ls were the last class with an official stipulation, but ours isn't that bad. We just have to stay within the top 2/3 of the class (and if we fell below that, we still kept 1/2 our scholarship). The 1Ls were the first class with just the good academic standing stipulation. Definitely takes a lot of the stress off. But still much better than most schools that were 50% or higher, and didn't let you keep anything if you fell below.

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:27 pm

still waiting for waitlist movement.

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:17 pm

I've just withdrawn my application! Good luck, TLSers who are on the WL.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”