Wake Forest 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mrjohnsterman

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby mrjohnsterman » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:34 pm

Accepted today, same response about they hope to have scholarship funds available later.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:51 pm

Waitlisted. I honestly did not expect that. I will probably be withdrawing soon. I can't justify it without a sizable scholarship.

RareAir

Postby RareAir » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:28 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Waitlisted. I honestly did not expect that. I will probably be withdrawing soon. I can't justify it without a sizable scholarship.

Same. Good luck to everyone who got accepted.

reinbowbrite

Postby reinbowbrite » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:01 pm

RareAir wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:Waitlisted. I honestly did not expect that. I will probably be withdrawing soon. I can't justify it without a sizable scholarship.

Same. Good luck to everyone who got accepted.

Same boat here. Can't hold out until mid-April when they reevaluate while having to make seat deposits at other schools, knowing that I won't get a scholly. :(

pifhib2

Postby pifhib2 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:06 pm

adc1222 wrote:So if I'm waiting for Wake in terms of a $ offer, what's the best way to go about it? I was accepted a couple of weeks ago. I'm very interested in Wake, but the price tag is hefty (I also got into Vanderbilt, WUSTL). Can you send in multiple first deposits (the ~$50 one) and then make a decision before the second deposit, given that Wake might extend more offers in April?

Thanks guys.

Yes, you can. It's very common to make multiple deposits. Just make sure to read whatever you're agreeing to to make sure that it isn't a binding commitment to attend. Also, withdraw from schools as soon as you know that you aren't going to be attending.

adc1222

Postby adc1222 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:54 pm

pifhib2 wrote:
adc1222 wrote:So if I'm waiting for Wake in terms of a $ offer, what's the best way to go about it? I was accepted a couple of weeks ago. I'm very interested in Wake, but the price tag is hefty (I also got into Vanderbilt, WUSTL). Can you send in multiple first deposits (the ~$50 one) and then make a decision before the second deposit, given that Wake might extend more offers in April?

Thanks guys.

Yes, you can. It's very common to make multiple deposits. Just make sure to read whatever you're agreeing to to make sure that it isn't a binding commitment to attend. Also, withdraw from schools as soon as you know that you aren't going to be attending.

Much appreciated. I will be doing that and informing WF of my situation when I visit in early April. Thanks.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:07 pm

For those who attended, how was the Open House? I would've loved to have been there to meet you guys and answer questions, but I had something else I had to do. Let me know if you have any questions that didn't get answered or any new questions you have after the visit.

PurplePirate

Postby PurplePirate » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:13 pm

tstyler98 wrote:For those who attended, how was the Open House? I would've loved to have been there to meet you guys and answer questions, but I had something else I had to do. Let me know if you have any questions that didn't get answered or any new questions you have after the visit.

I enjoyed it. I like the small school/class feel to it. And the law students were extremely friendly and helpful for the most part.

Relientkate

Postby Relientkate » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:58 am

Thanks guys.

Just to be clear, the first deposit is $500, not $50. I'm not sure whether that was a typo or you have a unique situation, but I just wanted to make sure others don't expect a $50 deposit. You can definitely send in a deposit to save your seat, but if you decide to attend another school your deposit won't be refunded. Good luck...

Gail

Postby Gail » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:01 am

tstyler98 wrote:For those who attended, how was the Open House? I would've loved to have been there to meet you guys and answer questions, but I had something else I had to do. Let me know if you have any questions that didn't get answered or any new questions you have after the visit.

You can answer my questions. I'll wear a t-shirt with the name Gail on it. :mrgreen:

alwayslovely

Postby alwayslovely » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:00 am

The open house was awesome! I really love Wake -which anticipated I would. It has everything I'm looking for, and the class I attend was GREAT! Everyone was so friendly/helpful too (professors, students and staff)

I do have a question. What would you say is the ratio of students straight of college to students 25 and older?

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:50 am

alwayslovely wrote:The open house was awesome! I really love Wake -which anticipated I would. It has everything I'm looking for, and the class I attend was GREAT! Everyone was so friendly/helpful too (professors, students and staff)

I do have a question. What would you say is the ratio of students straight of college to students 25 and older?

This is completely an approximation and based on my experience with the C/O 2014, but I would guess about 45% of the students come straight from Undergrad/Grad school, 30% spent 1-3 years working before they came. 25% are late 20s+ and/or spent a longer period working before they came here.

It's a good enough mixture that, that whatever group you find yourself in, you will find others in a similar situation to you. If someone feels I am way off on my stat estimations, feel free to correct me.

alwayslovely

Postby alwayslovely » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:14 pm

MattThiessen wrote:It's a good enough mixture that, that whatever group you find yourself in, you will find others in a similar situation to you.

Thanks!

parebare23

Postby parebare23 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:05 pm

Visited yesterday and absolutely loved it!

Finalflash013

Postby Finalflash013 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:30 pm

parebare23 wrote:Visited yesterday and absolutely loved it!

What was your experience? I'm hoping to visit sometime within the month.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:29 pm

MattThiessen wrote:
alwayslovely wrote:The open house was awesome! I really love Wake -which anticipated I would. It has everything I'm looking for, and the class I attend was GREAT! Everyone was so friendly/helpful too (professors, students and staff)

This is completely an approximation and based on my experience with the C/O 2014, but I would guess about 45% of the students come straight from Undergrad/Grad school, 30% spent 1-3 years working before they came. 25% are late 20s+ and/or spent a longer period working before they came here.

It's a good enough mixture that, that whatever group you find yourself in, you will find others in a similar situation to you. If someone feels I am way off on my stat estimations, feel free to correct me.

I think that's pretty accurate for the 2L class as well.

parebare23

Postby parebare23 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:33 pm

Finalflash013 wrote:
parebare23 wrote:Visited yesterday and absolutely loved it!

What was your experience? I'm hoping to visit sometime within the month.

I left the visit with a really great/warm feeling. They really rolled out the red carpet for us. We were able to meet with professors, students, deans, librarians, financial aid, etc. The campus is gorgeous -which most people know already. I also really liked the small class sizes which gives it a more intimate and personal feel - where you can't really get lost in the shuffle. Southern hospitality was definitely present - I didn't get the feeling that Wake is as cut throat as many other schools. We toured, sat in on a class, and ended the day with a luncheon/panel that was pretty awesome. Overall, I was really impressed with Wake and left with a really good feeling about the school and the possibility of that being the place I decide to go.

kgus22

Postby kgus22 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:37 pm

waitlisted today. anyone know what the chances of being accepted off the waitlist are?

shroeder

Postby shroeder » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:02 pm

So has anyone besides the one wait list heard anything today? Or are they back to Fridays? It's also been a while since we have heard from the dean, I wonder what' to think? If anyone has news I'd love to hear it. :) and good luck to anyone still waiting!

WakeLawAdmDean

Postby WakeLawAdmDean » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:20 pm

Greetings TLSers~

We released about 200 decisions today. The results were mostly deny and waitlist. We have a number of applications that we're very close to admitting. However, we have our second admitted student day tomorrow and I am not sure I'll be able to give them the attention they deserve in order to release those decisions tomorrow. In fact, because our application deadline is one week from today I may wait to release any additional admit decisions until we see what the entire pool looks like. I expect to have all initial decisions out by March 30. So, the wait shouldn't be too excrutiating for anyone.

If you have any questions about your file, please feel free to contact me directly.

Jay Shively
Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid
Wake Forest University | School of Law
(336) 758-5705
shivelrj@wfu.edu
jayshively@gmail.com
http://www.law.wfu.edu

jabberwock12

Postby jabberwock12 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:07 pm

Okay so what did everyone think of the admitted students day today? I enjoyed it. I felt like there was a strong sense of community and the faculty really seemed to care about the students. However I was a little worried that many of the 3L's didn't have jobs lined up.

TopSider11

Postby TopSider11 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:03 am

jabberwock12 wrote:Okay so what did everyone think of the admitted students day today? I enjoyed it. I felt like there was a strong sense of community and the faculty really seemed to care about the students. However I was a little worried that many of the 3L's didn't have jobs lined up.

I was really impressed and am strongly considering Wake now. As an out of stater I was happy to see many students seem to attend from out of state and are able to find their way back to their home markets if they choose to do so. I thought the whole "show" was done really well and showed the class and intimacy Wake is known for. Like you I thought that one question kind of was a buzzkill in the sense that in reality the students didnt seem to be lined up for success but then again that could just be the fact that its March and employers are still gauging their upcoming needs. Thats just my speculation though as a 0L I have no idea how hiring practices work in this economy.

justcallmerae

Postby justcallmerae » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:10 am

TopSider11 wrote:
jabberwock12 wrote:Okay so what did everyone think of the admitted students day today? I enjoyed it. I felt like there was a strong sense of community and the faculty really seemed to care about the students. However I was a little worried that many of the 3L's didn't have jobs lined up.

I was really impressed and am strongly considering Wake now. As an out of stater I was happy to see many students seem to attend from out of state and are able to find their way back to their home markets if they choose to do so. I thought the whole "show" was done really well and showed the class and intimacy Wake is known for. Like you I thought that one question kind of was a buzzkill in the sense that in reality the students didnt seem to be lined up for success but then again that could just be the fact that its March and employers are still gauging their upcoming needs. Thats just my speculation though as a 0L I have no idea how hiring practices work in this economy.

I agree with everything TopSider Said. Absolutely fantastic day, great area, and I really am considering Wake now as well.

As far as the concern about the 3Ls and jobs..it was really only the one person. The other guy said he's going to get a Masters in Journalism at Northwestern right? And the girl wants to work in the DAs office or another similar area of law, where they don't hire until AFTER they pass the Bar...so I don't think it's fair to judge based on those candidates. The third guy seemed like he had options but just hadn't decided. I spoke to a handful of 3Ls throughout the day, who all had jobs, and one even mentioned they had multiple offers along the east coast and had just narrowed it down and picked one last week.

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:44 pm

I really enjoyed my visit to Wake. There does seem to be a strong sense of community, and the area is absolutely beautiful. And having lunch and the Q&A in the Barnes Sports Lounge was ballin.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:29 am

A good chunk of my 3L friends have jobs lined up. Those that don't are mainly waiting on jobs that don't hire until closer to the end of the year or after the bar exam. Many more jobs are starting to do that because of the economy. And I think that is the case at most schools. I wouldn't worry too much. Hopefully the economy will improve significantly by the time you are in that position.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”