Wake Forest 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby tstyler98 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:48 pm

jabberwock12 wrote:Hey guys I logged on to my LSN account today and found this message. To current students would you say this is an accurate representation of the area?

I was a 1L at wake last year, currently I am a 2L at Notre Dame. You are free and capable of making your own decisions but I want to tell you about my time in Wake Forest and Winston Salem. Wake is a decent school. Winston Salem, however, is one of the worst cities that I have ever lived in. I was the victim of crime 2 times within the first 2 months that I lived there. I had my house broken into and my car broken into. That wasn’t the end of it though, 5 months after that I had my car vandalized by some kids. Some of the areas surrounding the campus are unsafe and there is a huge crime problem in Winston Salem. Here’s evidence, the nickname a lot of people in Winston Salem use for their city is “the tre-fo” meaning 34. When I learned what this nickname meant, I was disgusted. It stands for the first two digits of inmate #’s in the department of corrections (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tre-fo). I would consider you to think about this before you make your decision.


I'm a 2L and haven't had any problems. There are definitely areas to avoid, but most of the traditional housing that students live in are usually fine.

User avatar
jimmyjamXII
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:32 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby jimmyjamXII » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:51 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
jabberwock12 wrote:Hey guys I logged on to my LSN account today and found this message. To current students would you say this is an accurate representation of the area?

I was a 1L at wake last year, currently I am a 2L at Notre Dame. You are free and capable of making your own decisions but I want to tell you about my time in Wake Forest and Winston Salem. Wake is a decent school. Winston Salem, however, is one of the worst cities that I have ever lived in. I was the victim of crime 2 times within the first 2 months that I lived there. I had my house broken into and my car broken into. That wasn’t the end of it though, 5 months after that I had my car vandalized by some kids. Some of the areas surrounding the campus are unsafe and there is a huge crime problem in Winston Salem. Here’s evidence, the nickname a lot of people in Winston Salem use for their city is “the tre-fo” meaning 34. When I learned what this nickname meant, I was disgusted. It stands for the first two digits of inmate #’s in the department of corrections (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tre-fo). I would consider you to think about this before you make your decision.


I'm a 2L and haven't had any problems. There are definitely areas to avoid, but most of the traditional housing that students live in are usually fine.


http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tre-fo)


1. tre-fo 309 up, 56 down
In North Carolina, tre-fo (34) is slang for Winston-Salem, which has the third biggest crime rate in the 4th largest city. Ironically, its also the first two digits of Winston-Salem inmate numbers
Joki Brown : Yo dude, where you at?
OC Wardlow : The tre-fo bitch, where the fuck else?!?
buy tre-fo mugs & shirts
winston-salem tre-four tre fo tre 4 oc wardlow
by James Farrow Jul 8, 2006 share this add a video
2. tre-fo 76 up, 20 down
Tre-Fo is a slang nickname for Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The reason 34 is the first two digits of Winston-Salem's inmate numbers is because it is the 34th prison district (which is the main reason Winston is called the tre-fo).
I be on it all night, man I be on it

All day straight up pimp

If you want me you can find me in da

TRE-FO!





lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBzFUTCZ ... re=related
tre fo anthem

lol

gabewatch
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:15 am

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby gabewatch » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:39 pm

lol that music video is awesome

User avatar
jimmyjamXII
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:32 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby jimmyjamXII » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:43 pm

gabewatch wrote:lol that music video is awesome



i love the guy in the video at 1:08

littlebird
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:26 am

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby littlebird » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:51 pm

wightjm wrote:Mine changed from 2/10 to 2/17 as well


Just noticed the same on my app. Surprised to see it update so quickly, as 2/10 was my first UR.

parebare23
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:06 am

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby parebare23 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:28 pm

jimmyjamXII wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:
jabberwock12 wrote:Hey guys I logged on to my LSN account today and found this message. To current students would you say this is an accurate representation of the area?

I was a 1L at wake last year, currently I am a 2L at Notre Dame. You are free and capable of making your own decisions but I want to tell you about my time in Wake Forest and Winston Salem. Wake is a decent school. Winston Salem, however, is one of the worst cities that I have ever lived in. I was the victim of crime 2 times within the first 2 months that I lived there. I had my house broken into and my car broken into. That wasn’t the end of it though, 5 months after that I had my car vandalized by some kids. Some of the areas surrounding the campus are unsafe and there is a huge crime problem in Winston Salem. Here’s evidence, the nickname a lot of people in Winston Salem use for their city is “the tre-fo” meaning 34. When I learned what this nickname meant, I was disgusted. It stands for the first two digits of inmate #’s in the department of corrections (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tre-fo). I would consider you to think about this before you make your decision.


I'm a 2L and haven't had any problems. There are definitely areas to avoid, but most of the traditional housing that students live in are usually fine.


http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tre-fo)


1. tre-fo 309 up, 56 down
In North Carolina, tre-fo (34) is slang for Winston-Salem, which has the third biggest crime rate in the 4th largest city. Ironically, its also the first two digits of Winston-Salem inmate numbers
Joki Brown : Yo dude, where you at?
OC Wardlow : The tre-fo bitch, where the fuck else?!?
buy tre-fo mugs & shirts
winston-salem tre-four tre fo tre 4 oc wardlow
by James Farrow Jul 8, 2006 share this add a video
2. tre-fo 76 up, 20 down
Tre-Fo is a slang nickname for Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The reason 34 is the first two digits of Winston-Salem's inmate numbers is because it is the 34th prison district (which is the main reason Winston is called the tre-fo).
I be on it all night, man I be on it

All day straight up pimp

If you want me you can find me in da

TRE-FO!





lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBzFUTCZ ... re=related
tre fo anthem

lol


I got the same message today

User avatar
DubPoker
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby DubPoker » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:09 am

Wow that guy sending people messages on LSN seems like a drama queen.

When I learned what this nickname meant, I was disgusted.


While I guess we are the 34th district and the nickname makes sense, I have not heard a single person refer to Winston as tre-fo. Even if I did I'm a little confused why it is sensational?

Having been robbed a few times in my life (Two house robberies and one in person)...
In regards to an entire city, any person complaining about the times they have been robbed is obviously anecdotal. I'm not sure where this guy lived, but apparently his friends or whatever call Winston "tre-fo" and he is targeted. Maybe he really was in a bad neighborhood, who knows. Check out FBI crime stats and compare it to whatever city you are considering if this is a hot button issue for you. FWIW Wake Forest is in a good part of town.

My only criticism of Winston is that it is not as fun as some big cities, less to do.

User avatar
alwayslovely
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:59 am

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby alwayslovely » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:15 am

But he took time to send it to every Wake applicant on LSN. Bless his heart.

placencia
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:54 am

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby placencia » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:04 am

There is crime in Winston Salem, but most universities I have attended have been near parts of the city where crime can occur. While I don't feel unsafe in Winston, I do think it's important to pick where you live. I have found that if you live in an unsafe apartment complex here, then you can be at risk for break ins pretty regularly. Within several miles of Wake there are very nice complexes, and very cheap ones. It's really up to you.

Crime can happen in any environment, even the more expensive apartment complexes, but that's more anecdotal and a matter of simple statistics.

The short version of this is that there is crime and you can be victimized multiple times, I know people here that have had multiple break ins. And then they moved, and things changed. But overall, I wouldn't attend any other law school, and I don't feel unsafe.

User avatar
Gavel
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby Gavel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:03 pm

Speaking of crime, i got slapped in the face with a rejection email. All good, was ready for it.



Applied dec 4
complete can't remember probably ~january
decision rendered feb 10

User avatar
MattThiessen
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby MattThiessen » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:09 pm

jabberwock12 wrote:Hey guys I logged on to my LSN account today and found this message. To current students would you say this is an accurate representation of the area?

I was a 1L at wake last year, currently I am a 2L at Notre Dame. You are free and capable of making your own decisions but I want to tell you about my time in Wake Forest and Winston Salem. Wake is a decent school. Winston Salem, however, is one of the worst cities that I have ever lived in. I was the victim of crime 2 times within the first 2 months that I lived there. I had my house broken into and my car broken into. That wasn’t the end of it though, 5 months after that I had my car vandalized by some kids. Some of the areas surrounding the campus are unsafe and there is a huge crime problem in Winston Salem. Here’s evidence, the nickname a lot of people in Winston Salem use for their city is “the tre-fo” meaning 34. When I learned what this nickname meant, I was disgusted. It stands for the first two digits of inmate #’s in the department of corrections (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tre-fo). I would consider you to think about this before you make your decision.

This kind of makes me want to send a "U MAD BRO?" meme to this guy.

"Level of Crime" is really relative. If you've lived in a big city (Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, etc...) Winston Salem will seem like a mecca of peace and kindness. If you grew up in a rural farm town in Indiana, population 200 where everyone knows everyone else WS will seem like a terrible place. Crime happens in Winston Salem. Like TSTyler said, there are some areas you definitely don't want to live. There are plenty of very nice areas (some insanely nice areas, if you ask me). I've found that most of the area immediately surrounding the law school is pretty nice. I am totally comfortable where I live and haven't had any sort of a problem with crime. I think if you're smart about where you live and smart about where you go at what time of day you will be fine. Either way, no significant complaints from this guy.

parebare23
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:06 am

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby parebare23 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:30 pm

Trying to schedule a visit and having a difficult time find a "day" that fits into my schedule. I'd really like to make it to the Scholars Day or the Admitted Day but its not looking too good-- how big of a deal do you think it is if I decide to just schedule a regular visit? Does it really make a difference?

User avatar
Bashy
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby Bashy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:31 pm

parebare23 wrote:Trying to schedule a visit and having a difficult time find a "day" that fits into my schedule. I'd really like to make it to the Scholars Day or the Admitted Day but its not looking too good-- how big of a deal do you think it is if I decide to just schedule a regular visit? Does it really make a difference?


If you go to one of the Admitted Students Days, Wake will knock $300 off of your seat deposit. If you're thinking seriously about Wake, I'd try to make it to an ASD.

parebare23
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:06 am

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby parebare23 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:49 am

Bashy wrote:
parebare23 wrote:Trying to schedule a visit and having a difficult time find a "day" that fits into my schedule. I'd really like to make it to the Scholars Day or the Admitted Day but its not looking too good-- how big of a deal do you think it is if I decide to just schedule a regular visit? Does it really make a difference?


If you go to one of the Admitted Students Days, Wake will knock $300 off of your seat deposit. If you're thinking seriously about Wake, I'd try to make it to an ASD.


Thanks, I've made the decision to go to the March 2nd Scholar Day! Anyone else going to that one?

TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby TheZoid » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:18 am

parebare23 wrote:
Bashy wrote:
parebare23 wrote:Trying to schedule a visit and having a difficult time find a "day" that fits into my schedule. I'd really like to make it to the Scholars Day or the Admitted Day but its not looking too good-- how big of a deal do you think it is if I decide to just schedule a regular visit? Does it really make a difference?


If you go to one of the Admitted Students Days, Wake will knock $300 off of your seat deposit. If you're thinking seriously about Wake, I'd try to make it to an ASD.


Thanks, I've made the decision to go to the March 2nd Scholar Day! Anyone else going to that one?


I will be at the March 2nd Scholars Day...ignoring the business casual recommendation and wearing a t-shirt that says "TheZoid"

User avatar
PurplePirate
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 4:01 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby PurplePirate » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:21 am

parebare23 wrote: quote="Bashy"]
parebare23 wrote:Thanks, I've made the decision to go to the March 2nd Scholar Day! Anyone else going to that one?


I'll be there!

Tobacco Road
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby Tobacco Road » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:55 pm

Rejected via email. Good luck to the rest of the applicants.

User avatar
superbloom
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby superbloom » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:58 pm

Waitlisted. That's okay though. Good luck everyone!

User avatar
diegoforlan10
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:10 am

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby diegoforlan10 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:01 pm

Waitlisted via e-mail a few minutes ago :|

Lvaughn714
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:08 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby Lvaughn714 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:04 pm

Here we go again...no one hurt themselves refreshing their Gmail over and over please

User avatar
CwallXC322
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby CwallXC322 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:17 pm

Damn, I thought that they had reached a decision when I checked my status checker app, but all they did was correct my address. Maybe tomorrow.

mrjohnsterman
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:07 am

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby mrjohnsterman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:33 pm

CwallXC322 wrote:Damn, I thought that they had reached a decision when I checked my status checker app, but all they did was correct my address. Maybe tomorrow.


I am sure we will hear from Dean Shively today or tomorrow with an update on the status of everything.

RunwayRed
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby RunwayRed » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:39 pm

In via email

User avatar
kroakstool
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby kroakstool » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:42 pm

In today but they said they aren't offering me a scholarship at this time.
Last edited by kroakstool on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RunwayRed
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Postby RunwayRed » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:44 pm

kroakstool wrote:In today but they said they aren't offering me a scholarship at this time. That can't be right can it? 167 3.83


I got the same email saying no $$ at this point, but may have some later in the cycle.

My guess is that they depleted their scholly funds and we have to wait for ppl to withdraw and maybe take their scholarship.
Last edited by RunwayRed on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Nickel94 and 4 guests