Wake Forest 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DESSERTSTORM

New

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Post by DESSERTSTORM » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:07 pm

Anybody have word on waitlist movement? I hear that there are <700 people on the wake waitlist. Anyone else here this?

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:21 pm

DESSERTSTORM wrote: I hear that there are <700 people on the wake waitlist.

With my luck, I am number 700. Even though my LSAT is way above the 75%.

DESSERTSTORM

New

Post by DESSERTSTORM » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:37 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:

Are you going to wait it out? With a <75% LSAT surely you have other options. Im not too optimistic about the waiting list but to stay in NC/SC I have no other options.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:53 pm

DESSERTSTORM wrote:
PolySuyGuy wrote:

Are you going to wait it out? With a <75% LSAT surely you have other options. Im not too optimistic about the waiting list but to stay in NC/SC I have no other options.

I'll wait it out. I did my Master's there so I have ties but I have acceptances to higher ranked schools. I'll decide if I am going there after I get an acceptance.

el William

New

Post by el William » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:39 am

PolySuyGuy wrote:
DESSERTSTORM wrote:
PolySuyGuy wrote:

I'll wait it out. I did my Master's there so I have ties but I have acceptances to higher ranked schools. I'll decide if I am going there after I get an acceptance.
So does that mean you are thinking about paying sticker to go to Wake? I doubt any of us on the waitlist will get any money. I thought I was the only one crazy enough to consider Wake at sticker.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DESSERTSTORM

New

Post by DESSERTSTORM » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:58 am

has anyone else heard the 700+ people on the waiting list too?

WakeLawAdmDean

New

Post by WakeLawAdmDean » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:46 am

Greetings TLSers~

There may very well be 700 people technically on the waitlist. Honestly it wouldn't change any individual's chances of admission if there are. Things are most likely going to change drastically in the next few weeks. If we liked you in our initial file review but weren't sure we'd have a spot for you, we put you on the waitlist. We could call it "hold" or something similar, but waitlist is the most accurate designation.

While the waitlist is pretty heavy right now, as soon as first deposits are processed we'll have a much better idea of who might be competitive for a spot (and whether any spots exist). As I've said in earlier posts, there's no way at this point to know if we'll go to the waitlist and if we do, how many spots we may have.

If you are someone for whom Wake is a top choice (or even a serious contender) please realize that even if there were 1000 people on the waitlist, most of them aren't truly interested in a spot. We don't ask candidates to withdraw from the waitlist if they aren't interested. Instead as space becomes available we reach out to candidates we believe to be competitive for the spots and gauge their interest. Fewer than 20% generally respond to that outreach. So even if there were 700 waitlisted candidates, you'd really only be competing with 140 of them.

At this point if you are on the waitlist and still very interested in Wake Law, I'd suggest submitting LOR's or LOCI's, including any specific information that compels you to be at Wake, and then contact me the last week of May, June, and July (assuming you don't get a spot before then). I won't hide the ball. I'll let you know to the extent I am able what I believe your chances are of gaining a spot. In my previous post I also talked about what to do if you are willing to come to Wake no matter the timing.

Once first deposits are processed if we feel there are people on the waitlist with no shot at getting in the class, we'll send them notification of their denial. Until then I really would focus on whatever offers you have now and keep us informed of your status if you really want to be at Wake.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If we can't contact you or you are slow to respond, you will miss out. The early bird definitely gets the worm. We give candidates generally 12-24 hours to respond to our interest inquiry before we move on to other candidates.

Let me know if you have questions.

Warm regards,
Jay Shively
Wake Law

DESSERTSTORM

New

Post by DESSERTSTORM » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:52 am

WakeLawAdmDean wrote:Greetings TLSers~

There may very well be 700 people technically on the waitlist. Honestly it wouldn't change any individual's chances of admission if there are. Things are most likely going to change drastically in the next few weeks. If we liked you in our initial file review but weren't sure we'd have a spot for you, we put you on the waitlist. We could call it "hold" or something similar, but waitlist is the most accurate designation.

While the waitlist is pretty heavy right now, as soon as first deposits are processed we'll have a much better idea of who might be competitive for a spot (and whether any spots exist). As I've said in earlier posts, there's no way at this point to know if we'll go to the waitlist and if we do, how many spots we may have.

If you are someone for whom Wake is a top choice (or even a serious contender) please realize that even if there were 1000 people on the waitlist, most of them aren't truly interested in a spot. We don't ask candidates to withdraw from the waitlist if they aren't interested. Instead as space becomes available we reach out to candidates we believe to be competitive for the spots and gauge their interest. Fewer than 20% generally respond to that outreach. So even if there were 700 waitlisted candidates, you'd really only be competing with 140 of them.

At this point if you are on the waitlist and still very interested in Wake Law, I'd suggest submitting LOR's or LOCI's, including any specific information that compels you to be at Wake, and then contact me the last week of May, June, and July (assuming you don't get a spot before then). I won't hide the ball. I'll let you know to the extent I am able what I believe your chances are of gaining a spot. In my previous post I also talked about what to do if you are willing to come to Wake no matter the timing.

Once first deposits are processed if we feel there are people on the waitlist with no shot at getting in the class, we'll send them notification of their denial. Until then I really would focus on whatever offers you have now and keep us informed of your status if you really want to be at Wake.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If we can't contact you or you are slow to respond, you will miss out. The early bird definitely gets the worm. We give candidates generally 12-24 hours to respond to our interest inquiry before we move on to other candidates.

Let me know if you have questions.

Warm regards,
Jay Shively
Wake Law

Thanks Dean, You have somewhat assuaged my anxiety

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:43 pm

el William wrote:So does that mean you are thinking about paying sticker to go to Wake? I doubt any of us on the waitlist will get any money. I thought I was the only one crazy enough to consider Wake at sticker.
I would gladly pay sticket at WF. I am so far in the student loan debt that another $250K won't matter because of IBR or public interest.

/until after the 20 years when I have to pay taxes on the balance as the gov't forgives it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

el William

New

Post by el William » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:53 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
el William wrote:So does that mean you are thinking about paying sticker to go to Wake? I doubt any of us on the waitlist will get any money. I thought I was the only one crazy enough to consider Wake at sticker.
I would gladly pay sticket at WF. I am so far in the student loan debt that another $250K won't matter because of IBR or public interest.

/until after the 20 years when I have to pay taxes on the balance as the gov't forgives it.
It is really nice to hear someone say this. TLS has a lot of "haters" that pretty much tell you to ignore any school outside of the t14 unless you get a huge scholarship otherwise you are doomed.

I have a pretty minimal amount of student loan debt from UG so I am able to take on more than some others might be willing to take on. Also I have a SO with a great job in town (Winston-Salem, where we live currently) which also offers loan repayment of about 20k if she completes 5 consecutive yrs in the same job. So when we think about our finances together this factors in big time. If we were to relocate she would lose this loan repayment option and she would lose her earnings for at least a year while getting licensed in a new state and looking for employment in a new town. This adds up to about 65k and that is if she only went one year between jobs. Obviously she could do other things in the meantime to earn some income, but why go to all that trouble when there are so many reasons to stay in town and bite the tuition bullet at Wake.

This makes sticker at Wake a lot more palatable compared to other schools that have offered me 15-20k per year scholarships but require moving to a new state. Also, I have wanted to go to Wake law for years. It sounds cliche, but this has been a goal/dream of mine for a long long time...

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:51 pm

el William wrote:
PolySuyGuy wrote:

It is really nice to hear someone say this. TLS has a lot of "haters" that pretty much tell you to ignore any school outside of the t14 unless you get a huge scholarship otherwise you are doomed.

I have a pretty minimal amount of student loan debt from UG so I am able to take on more than some others might be willing to take on. Also I have a SO with a great job in town (Winston-Salem, where we live currently) which also offers loan repayment of about 20k if she completes 5 consecutive yrs in the same job. So when we think about our finances together this factors in big time. If we were to relocate she would lose this loan repayment option and she would lose her earnings for at least a year while getting licensed in a new state and looking for employment in a new town. This adds up to about 65k and that is if she only went one year between jobs. Obviously she could do other things in the meantime to earn some income, but why go to all that trouble when there are so many reasons to stay in town and bite the tuition bullet at Wake.

This makes sticker at Wake a lot more palatable compared to other schools that have offered me 15-20k per year scholarships but require moving to a new state. Also, I have wanted to go to Wake law for years. It sounds cliche, but this has been a goal/dream of mine for a long long time...
I was in a similar situation to you two years ago (although a little better) - no scholarship to wake, wife and I had no debt at all (and even a good amount of savings), wife had a job in w-s to cover living expenses - but 150k+ in debt is still a crapton of debt and I would strongly encourage you to seek out a more affordable option. In the end wake did give me a good scholarship and due to having a SA 1L and 2L summer I wont have soul-crushing debt, but the amount still freaks me out. Im not going to tell you not to go to wake IF you get off the WL, but seriously consider (both you and your SO) the financial ramifications of graduating 150k+ in debt and make sure your ok with that.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:01 pm

moandersen wrote: wife and I had no debt at all (and even a good amount of savings),

Some of us are so far in debt before law school that the amount of debt we add during law school won't make a significant difference because of IBR and PI pay off methods.

So to us, we think, we might as well swallow the full cost of admission and live in an area we like and go to a law school we would enjoy.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:09 pm

did any late applicants get accepted to the class of 2016+scholarship money?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Edna_Pontellier

New

Post by Edna_Pontellier » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:48 pm

Dean Shively,

With the scholarship seat deposit deadline passing Sunday, how soon do you expect to have an ideal of the likelihood of using the waitlist? Now that those applicants have deposited do you believe you will be using the waitlist before May? Thank you for taking the time to consider and respond.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:26 pm

Edna_Pontellier wrote:Dean Shively,

With the scholarship seat deposit deadline passing Sunday, how soon do you expect to have an ideal of the likelihood of using the waitlist? Now that those applicants have deposited do you believe you will be using the waitlist before May? Thank you for taking the time to consider and respond.
It will prob take them some time to get through all of it. People are mailing from across the country. I'm still not updated, I don't think.

Give it some time.

WakeLawAdmDean

New

Post by WakeLawAdmDean » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:09 pm

Greetings TLSers~

I anticipate movement on the waitlist perhaps as early as next week. If you are seriously interested, I'd recommend letting me know. Obviously, this could be a very long process and all sorts of factors will play into who may get an offer and when. Still this message should serve as notice that I'm starting to narrow down the waitlist and make real offers.

I've said all this before but just to be clear. I don't anticipate being able to offer scholarship money, but if you have scholarship offers from similarly ranked schools, let me know when I reach out to you.

About that... I'll be running some reports and identifying candidates competitive for the spots I am trying to fill. If identified as competitive, I'll email and inquire about your interest. I'll allow 24 hours or less for you to respond before I move on to the next batch of candidates. If you are interested, you should respond quickly and let me know whether you are interested in a spot. If you say that you'd be "interested in being considered" and that you "might" accept, I'll take that to mean you aren't really interested. If you say you think you'd accept a spot if offered, then I'll suggest a phone call before the committee meets.

Seriously, think about it now. Be ready to discuss it. Or if you aren't interested, withdraw your application and save us both some time and energy.

If we make an offer, you'll have a day or two to consider it. You'll have to submit a $500 deposit within five business days. I expect that if you accept our offer that you'll withdraw from any school from which you have a final decision. I do not expect you to withdraw from a school at which you are on the waitlist or from whom you haven't yet received a decision.

We have some great candidates on the waitlist, but we don't make blind offers to waitlist candidates. We are going to confirm that you are going to accept before we make an official offer. So, consider the possibility now. Update your contact information. Be accessible.

Jay Shively
Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid
Wake Forest University | School of Law
(336) 758-5705 office
shivelrj@wfu.edu
law.wfu.edu

el William

New

Post by el William » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:56 pm

Thought I would bump this thread for the benefit of those on the wait list. I was wait listed back in February (actually my status checker said 'special committee consideration' but this was essentially a wait list decision).

I got a call from Dean Shively last week, with an offer of admission provided I committed to attending the school. Unfortunately I had to decline the offer because of financial considerations and options available at other schools, but it was a hard decision.

So, anyways...
I am officially withdrawn from Wake, but I thought some others on the wait list might find it heartening to hear that there is definitely movement from the wait list .

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:48 pm

el William wrote:Unfortunately I had to decline the offer because of financial considerations and options available at other schools, but it was a hard decision.

It always is. No tobacco road for you.

kgus22

New

Post by kgus22 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:32 am

Hey everyone - expect to see some wait list action today! I just got in off of the wait list with a scholarship offer. This also really surprised me because I asked to be withdrawn from the wait list about 3 weeks ago. At any rate, I won't be attending WF so my spot should open up for someone else!

Good Luck!

bisonprawn

New

Post by bisonprawn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:44 am

I just got off waitlist (168/2.8) with scholarship. Did not expect that at all! Alas, I'll be withdrawing too. Financial reasons and other offers, etc. Good luck, other waitlisters!

pbfoot

Bronze

Post by pbfoot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:07 am

In off W/L with scholarship, will be seriously considering.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

greek18

New

Post by greek18 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:13 am

Going to be withdrawing later today, absolutely love Wake Forest but have to stay in Boston for family reasons.

Hope one of you TLS'ers get the spot!!

oxeatheman

New

Post by oxeatheman » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:41 am

In off WL.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:03 pm

oxeatheman wrote:In off WL.
Everybody but me.

--ImageRemoved--

emchapman

New

Post by emchapman » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:21 pm

For those of you who have posted since April 24, 2012 regarding your offers from the WF wait list, I was wondering: what was your undergrad GPA and LSAT score? Also, if you were offered a scholarship, what were you offered?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”