Wake Forest 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
adc1222

New

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Post by adc1222 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:50 pm

RunwayRed wrote:
kroakstool wrote:In today but they said they aren't offering me a scholarship at this time. That can't be right can it? 167 3.83
I got the same email saying no $$ at this point, but may have some later in the cycle.

My guess is that they depleted their scholly funds and we have to wait for ppl to withdraw and maybe take their scholarship.
Got the same email...maybe this is the form email and they'll award a few more schollies soon? Just me being hopeful...did anyone get in today who got a $ offer?

littlebird

New

Post by littlebird » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:12 pm

In via e-mail as well; same language about not being awarded a scholarship "at this time," but hoping to do so "in the future."

CwallXC322

Bronze

Post by CwallXC322 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:18 pm

kroakstool wrote:In today but they said they aren't offering me a scholarship at this time. That can't be right can it? 167 3.83
Just got in as well! Same e-mail as the rest of you. They probably have a lot of scholarships out already, and they want to wait to see who will withdraw.

RunwayRed

New

Post by RunwayRed » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:40 pm

Hi guys, I contacted the admission office and asked them about the scholarships. My guess was right, they said they did deplete their scholarship funds due to an increase of applicants this year, and they will have to wait til the first deposit deadline for students who were offered scholarships, which is Apr 15th.

It is heartbreaking to hear that we are not the preferred kids. :(

CwallXC322

Bronze

Post by CwallXC322 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:42 pm

RunwayRed wrote:Hi guys, I contacted the admission office and asked them about the scholarships. My guess was right, they said they did deplete their scholarship funds due to an increase of applicants this year, and they will have to wait til the first deposit deadline for students who were offered scholarships, which is Apr 15th.

It is heartbreaking to hear that we are not the preferred kids. :(
Damn I was hoping to have made a decision by then!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

reinbowbrite

New

Post by reinbowbrite » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:04 pm

Wow. I wasn't expecting decisions to come out until Friday, but it looks like they've gone back to sending emails on Thursday. Guess I'll be on hold for another week...

Although if there's no scholarship coming, I realistically can't afford to go here. Shame. :(

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:52 pm

Denied. I'm shocked to be honest. Last cycle I was waitlisted, but my LSAT was 3 points lower. Apparently the applicant pool is much stronger this year.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:11 pm

Sorry to hear about the scholarships drying up, guys! I hope I still see some of you in WS when others begin to drop out of the race.

parebare23

Bronze

Post by parebare23 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:22 pm

Congrats to all the new admits!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shroeder

Bronze

Post by shroeder » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:06 pm

Until the Dean post otherwise, I gotta believe there are more decisions coming tomorrow. Good luck all.

WakeLawAdmDean

New

Post by WakeLawAdmDean » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:18 am

This message is being typed on my IPad late at night. Please attribute any typos or errors to auto-correct or fatigue.

Greetings TLSers~

I apologize for the late notice. We were able to release all of the decisions for the week today. Because we'll have open houses nearly every Friday for the next month our goal will be to release decisions on Thursday late in the afternoon. If we miss Thursdays, then it will be late in the afternoon on Friday. I'll do my best to give you notice to reduce the refreshing And anxiety.

Most of the decisions today were not positive. However, we continue to release admits and some scholarships at the top of the pool. As you've figured out our scholarship budget is fairly well committed at this point. We will make additional awards as money becomes available. We award several times the amount we have budgeted so it would be a mistake to view withdrawals of other candidates even with large awards as an opportunity for other applicants.

If both of your numbers are above our 75 th percentile numbers for last year (164/c. 3.75), you'll most likely still get an award offer at this point, but otherwise we may have to wait and see what happens with April deposits. If anyone received a message that contradicts this general policy, feel free to contact me directly.

Because of the increase in the quality and number of applications this year it's been difficult to confidently predict yields and outcomes. Thus I am playing things very safe. I expect we'll be ultimately making offers from the waitlist and probably making more scholarship offers. Still I won't know for sure until after first deposits. I wish I could be more definitive, but admissions is not an exact science.

Let me know of any questions.

Jay Shively
Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid
Wake Forest University | School of Law
(336) 758-5705
shivelrj@wfu.edu
http://www.law.wfu.edu

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:14 am

WakeLawAdmDean wrote: I expect we'll be ultimately making offers from the waitlist and probably making more scholarship offers. Still I won't know for sure until after first deposits.
Pick me, pick me, pick me!

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by PolySuyGuy on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bashy

Bronze

Post by Bashy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:38 am

Heading to campus tomorrow to look around. A friend of mine is in the law school, so he's gonna show me around.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:53 am

Curious to hear what you guys think will happen to Wake's ranking/reputation given the competitiveness of this cycle...it really can only help, but I wonder how much. School's like IU-B that have jumped in the rankings don't really seem to have an increase in placement power as a result of a higher ranking.

Bashy

Bronze

Post by Bashy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:01 pm

TheZoid wrote:Curious to hear what you guys think will happen to Wake's ranking/reputation given the competitiveness of this cycle...it really can only help, but I wonder how much. School's like IU-B that have jumped in the rankings don't really seem to have an increase in placement power as a result of a higher ranking.
I think Wake's ranking should rise a bit this year. Their placement is better than their current ranking would suggest, and the competitiveness of this cycle should help to raise their medians. However, I don't know what effect this will have on their placement, because USN rank is most likely only a part of how well a school places in their respective market.

I imagine a rise in the rankings certainly won't hurt Wake's placement.

wightjm

New

Post by wightjm » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:07 pm

Denied. Would have paid sticker in a heart beat. Goodbye childhood dreams...

shroeder

Bronze

Post by shroeder » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:10 pm

wightjm wrote:Denied. Would have paid sticker in a heart beat. Goodbye childhood dreams...

Oh no!! When did you get the email?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dreambig

New

Post by dreambig » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:18 pm

Status "under review" date just changed from 2/17 to 2/24.... Wonder if that means I'll get a decision soon. Let's hope so

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:23 pm

Bashy wrote:
TheZoid wrote:Curious to hear what you guys think will happen to Wake's ranking/reputation given the competitiveness of this cycle...it really can only help, but I wonder how much. School's like IU-B that have jumped in the rankings don't really seem to have an increase in placement power as a result of a higher ranking.
I think Wake's ranking should rise a bit this year. Their placement is better than their current ranking would suggest, and the competitiveness of this cycle should help to raise their medians. However, I don't know what effect this will have on their placement, because USN rank is most likely only a part of how well a school places in their respective market.

I imagine a rise in the rankings certainly won't hurt Wake's placement.
Rankings aren't too relevant to students once in law school, but I will agree with this that I think Wake will climb the rankings while other schools drop. Emory seems to be falling off of a cliff right now. I don't know what spot WF will take though.

Ranking 30 and 35 needs to be broken up though, honestly.

reinbowbrite

New

Post by reinbowbrite » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:36 pm

dreambig wrote:Status "under review" date just changed from 2/17 to 2/24.... Wonder if that means I'll get a decision soon. Let's hope so
Same.

mxmatt137

New

Post by mxmatt137 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:57 pm

reinbowbrite wrote:
dreambig wrote:Status "under review" date just changed from 2/17 to 2/24.... Wonder if that means I'll get a decision soon. Let's hope so
Same.
My status date changed the week before a decision was made on my app.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:36 pm

Dean Shively,

First of all thanks for taking the time to come on TLS and keep us all informed with everything. I definitely appreciate it and I know many fellow TLSers do as well.

I'm curious as to your thoughts on the class size. There seems to be some disillusion among students about the direction Wake Forest is heading in this regard. I know this past year's class was a bit larger than expected and some students are saying Wake is "becoming like UNC," and losing its small school feel. Was this past year's class size simply a result of more students matriculating than expected, or are you planning to gradually increase class sizes?

Having said all that, Wake definitely seems to be on the up and up given what you've said about the competitiveness of this cycle and the drastic rise in applications, especially in a year where they fell overall.

Thanks again for your time.

-Z

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:51 am

TheZoid wrote:Dean Shively,
I'm curious as to your thoughts on the class size. There seems to be some disillusion among students about the direction Wake Forest is heading in this regard. I know this past year's class was a bit larger than expected and some students are saying Wake is "becoming like UNC," and losing its small school feel. Was this past year's class size simply a result of more students matriculating than expected, or are you planning to gradually increase class sizes?
Who is saying this? I can assure you it's not current Wake students. When you visit both schools, you'll see that there's a HUGE difference in the cultures of Wake and Carolina. It's not even comparable.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:46 am

First of all thanks for taking the time to come on TLS and keep us all informed with everything. I definitely appreciate it and I know many fellow TLSers do as well.

Having said all that, Wake definitely seems to be on the up and up given what you've said about the competitiveness of this cycle and the drastic rise in applications, especially in a year where they fell overall.

Thanks again for your time.

-Z
I'm a 2L at Wake and from what we were told, they used some new formula to determine how many offers to give out. Because of the scholarships they offered, more people accepted the offers then they anticipated, so they ended up with a higher 1L class than normal. The rumor is they are planning to go back to the smaller class size, but I haven't heard anything official.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:30 pm

SteelyDan wrote:
Who is saying this? I can assure you it's not current Wake students. When you visit both schools, you'll see that there's a HUGE difference in the cultures of Wake and Carolina. It's not even comparable.
I said that I was afraid it was heading in the direction of UNC based on the larger class size last year (and I am actually a current student). I certainly don't think it's anything like UNC right now, which is one of the reasons I picked Wake over UNC in the first place. I'm just afraid that, if we keep increasing the 1L class size, Wake will lose the personal feel and the community atmosphere and will instead take on the large, impersonal "you're only a number" feel at UNC. I realize that the school claims last year's acceptances were an error in the formula. But, given the administration's history at larger schools (including UNC), I can't help but wonder if the large class mentality is something that came in with the new administration. I hope that isn't the case, and, since the administration claims that it was an error, it probably was.

If it turns out that the 1L class this year is back in line with the 155-170 class size that most of us came to Wake expecting, it should be clear that last year was simply an aberration as has been claimed. If it's large again like last year (185-200 range), that will signal a trend and will indicate the administration's priorities in making the class sizes larger.

Don't misread what I'm saying to suggest that you shouldn't come to Wake. I would definitely suggest Wake for those considering law school, and I have loved my time here and am glad that I chose Wake over UNC and others. I would simply caution you that, if you're expecting a smaller class size like the 2L and 3L classes have now, it might not actually be the case once you matriculate. In the end, I agree with Dan that, even with a larger class size, the cultures themselves at UNC and Wake aren't comparable (yet). Currently, I think it would be difficult to find two schools that are more dissimilar. However, if we keep it up with the larger classes, I don't think that it would take too long for them to at least become a whole lot more similar.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”