Wake Forest 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
h2oplyer7

Bronze

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Post by h2oplyer7 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:32 pm

Anyone else think its awesome that the dean took some time to visit this page? Awesome!

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi guys. Sending in a late application early in February. Any others a little late to the game? Wake is my #1 choice right now.

WakeLawAdmDean

New

Post by WakeLawAdmDean » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:57 pm

Greetings TLSers~

I thought today I might provide some insight into the scholarship process and how we determine who gets how much. In a future post I'll discuss whether we'll reconsider scholarship awards and adjust offers.

Once we've seated our class in August and as we go through the fall semester we do a great deal of number crunching. Part of this analysis relates to how many offers we made in specific credential bands and what impact scholarship offers had on yield in those bands for different groups of students. Of course, we're looking at this in regard to LSAT and GPA but there are other considerations. We spend some time thinking about our goals for the current cycle in regard to all of these factors and then evaluate how we did in the last couple years in coming up with a scholarship grid. This isn't rocket science. If your numbers are at or below our medians, I wouldn't expect a huge scholarship award. That being said Wake Law is very generous in their awarding structure.

Using the scholarship grid we might reference LSAT and GPA and find, based on our previous analysis, a suggested scholarship award. Of course, as the Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid I use my discretion and determine whether the suggested award is appropriate in any given case. Most of the time it is. If, based on my own observations or historical analysis I think a candidate presents factors which indicate they might be academically weaker than their numbers indicate, I might offer a little less and, of course, if I think there's some factor that makes the applicant stronger than the numbers might suggest, I can increase the award. Again most of the time the award is consistent.

Another factor that can impact awarding is the timing of an application. In certain credential bands we may target only 25-50% of candidates to receive an award. Thus, once the money for that band has been awarded, candidates may still receive an offer of admission but be surprised to see that they won't receive a scholarship award. Again there is a discretionary aspect to whether an award will be made. While I understand each of our candidates are unique and special in their own way, I may not be able to make an award even if your best friend with slightly worse numbers got one. It doesn't mean we don't value your application or you as a potential student at Wake Law, it just means that budgetarily we may not have the funds to award a scholarship at this time and your friend's application may have gotten in earlier or helped to satisfy some other institutional goal. For instance, we have some scholarships generously funded by our engaged and active alumni that require awardees to be NC residents. In this case being from NC may help, especially since only 20% of our student body come from NC.

I hope that this illuminates the scholarship awarding process. Early next week I'll post a similar explanation of our scholarship adjustment policies and process. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions about this post or your candidacy for admission at Wake Law.

Warm regards,
Jay Shively
Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid
Wake Forest University | School of Law
shivelrj@wfu.edu
jayshively@gmail.com
http://www.law.wfu.edu

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:10 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:Anyone else think its awesome that the dean took some time to visit this page? Awesome!
+1... other Deans should take note. It is smart for schools to engage TLSers in this fashion.

wvu

Gold

Post by wvu » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Anyone know how to register for an ASD? Or should I be getting something in the mail?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:14 pm

I'm excited to go visit the school Monday. It's definitely my top choice right now. I'll be sure to post lots of pictures!

Thanks Dean for all of he information.

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:19 pm

WakeLawAdmDean wrote: Another factor that can impact awarding is the timing of an application. In certain credential bands we may target only 25-50% of candidates to receive an award. Thus, once the money for that band has been awarded, candidates may still receive an offer of admission but be surprised to see that they won't receive a scholarship award.
Thank you for all of your informative posts Dean Shively.

One question, is there a general date when scholarship money for some bands starts to run out? For example, is there a date where you can point to and say that is when an app needs to be submitted by for this not to be an issue?

Thank you once again!
ash0117 wrote:I'm excited to go visit the school Monday. It's definitely my top choice right now. I'll be sure to post lots of pictures!
Please do!

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:34 pm

I'm thinking of making a trip down there myself. Does Jenny still work in the office? I feel like I should bring her a gift basket for being so helpful in the past.

WakeLawAdmDean

New

Post by WakeLawAdmDean » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:52 pm

wvuchip wrote:Anyone know how to register for an ASD? Or should I be getting something in the mail?
ASD registration information will go out later this week or early next week.

RJS
Wake Law

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WakeLawAdmDean

New

Post by WakeLawAdmDean » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:00 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
WakeLawAdmDean wrote: Another factor that can impact awarding is the timing of an application. In certain credential bands we may target only 25-50% of candidates to receive an award. Thus, once the money for that band has been awarded, candidates may still receive an offer of admission but be surprised to see that they won't receive a scholarship award.
Thank you for all of your informative posts Dean Shively.

One question, is there a general date when scholarship money for some bands starts to run out? For example, is there a date where you can point to and say that is when an app needs to be submitted by for this not to be an issue?

Thank you once again!
ash0117 wrote:I'm excited to go visit the school Monday. It's definitely my top choice right now. I'll be sure to post lots of pictures!
Please do!
In some cases we've already reached that point. Still in such a volatile admission process we are constantly evaluating things and sometimes make offers later in the cycle even to deposited students. Of course, there's no way to tell what will happen this admissions cycle. Right now applications to Wake Forest Law School are up 38% from last year where nationally the average school is 17% down. We are being very deliberate with our offers of admission and scholarship.

For future reference it is always better to apply as early as possible to be eligible for scholarships but this has always been the case. As I said in my earlier post we have some discretion in the awarding of scholarships if the situation compels us to award them.

Warm regards,
RJS
Wake Law

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:42 am

Dean, where did you get these national statistics from??

what I have gleaned from LSAC data is that the number of actual applicants is down 17 percent nationally, while the total number of actual applications has risen. Applicants are applying more places per person because of how easy it has become through lsac.

Very curious though, where did you read total applications are down 17 percent this year? Also, will so many more applications this cycle, do you expect your yield to improve?

portaluser

New

Post by portaluser » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:38 pm

Went under review yesterday, Was ready for review since late November. Guess they really have a stack of apps to get through!

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:49 pm

File went under review (1/24). Had been waiting for review from November.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

genius5432

New

Post by genius5432 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:41 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:File went under review (1/24). Had been waiting for review from November.
Same here. Hopefully this means that there is a possibility that we will be in the decision bunch this Friday, although admittedly, two days isn't much time and I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't hear anything this week.

ashley12

Bronze

Post by ashley12 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:49 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:File went under review (1/24). Had been waiting for review from November.
Wow that's crazy. I submitted early December and went UR just a few days later. Whats been difficult is moving past that! I'm sure we will all hear soon it sounds like they are working hard

ashleyadpi

New

Post by ashleyadpi » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:11 pm

Hello. I'm new to this... I was accepted 12/22/11 with a 159/3.98 and didn't receive any scholarship info.. Does that mean I'm still being considered for it, or is it likely just admission granted? Thanks

ucbkenn

Bronze

Post by ucbkenn » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:19 pm

ashleyadpi wrote:Hello. I'm new to this... I was accepted 12/22/11 with a 159/3.98 and didn't receive any scholarship info.. Does that mean I'm still being considered for it, or is it likely just admission granted? Thanks
If I had to guess, I would think it meant only admission granted. I only say this because my scholarship was in the same e-mail as my admission was.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WakeLawAdmDean

New

Post by WakeLawAdmDean » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:38 am

nucky thompson wrote:Dean, where did you get these national statistics from??

what I have gleaned from LSAC data is that the number of actual applicants is down 17 percent nationally, while the total number of actual applications has risen. Applicants are applying more places per person because of how easy it has become through lsac.

Very curious though, where did you read total applications are down 17 percent this year? Also, will so many more applications this cycle, do you expect your yield to improve?

The most recent report we received from LSAC says, "... ABA applicants are down 16.7% and ABA applications are down 15.3% from 2011. The report also indicates applicants to Canadian law schools are up 4.4% and applications are up 5.4% from 2011."

RJS
Wake Law

WakeLawAdmDean

New

Post by WakeLawAdmDean » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:41 am

ucbkenn wrote:
ashleyadpi wrote:Hello. I'm new to this... I was accepted 12/22/11 with a 159/3.98 and didn't receive any scholarship info.. Does that mean I'm still being considered for it, or is it likely just admission granted? Thanks
If I had to guess, I would think it meant only admission granted. I only say this because my scholarship was in the same e-mail as my admission was.

If your letter doesn't provide a specific scholarship amount, you have not been awarded a scholarship at this time. As I've indicated earlier we are constantly evaluating our pool and awards. You might be awarded a scholarship later but you should make decisions based on the information you currently have available. If you're awarded money at schools considered to be peer institutions, please feel free to share that information. I'll be posting some thoughts on negotiating scholarships early next week.

RJS
Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid
Wake Law

WakeLawAdmDean

New

Post by WakeLawAdmDean » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:44 am

genius5432 wrote:
Same here. Hopefully this means that there is a possibility that we will be in the decision bunch this Friday, although admittedly, two days isn't much time and I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't hear anything this week.
Probably you'll be in next week's bunch. If you want to email me, I can tell you the target release date for your decision. Also please recognize that we could decide to hold your file which would delay a final decision. I do have target release dates for most applicants. So, if you are interested or concerned, just email me.

RJS
Wake Law

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:30 pm

Guessing this Thursday decisions already went out?

Sigh... starting to wonder if there was something wrong with my app.... lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jake5

New

Post by Jake5 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:32 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:Guessing this Thursday decisions already went out?

Sigh... starting to wonder if there was something wrong with my app.... lol
They are releasing decisions on Friday this week, not thursday!

MOJayhawk

New

Post by MOJayhawk » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:35 pm

The Dean mentioned in a post that they've moved the emailing of decisions to Friday, rather than Thursday, so don't give up hope! :)

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:42 pm

MOJayhawk wrote:The Dean mentioned in a post that they've moved the emailing of decisions to Friday, rather than Thursday, so don't give up hope! :)
+1

sdphill

Silver

Post by sdphill » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:13 pm

I cannot wait until tomorrow... I am SOOOO excited :) Hopefully a big batch of decisions will come out tomorrow !!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”