Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rich_4

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby rich_4 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:49 pm

SarahT wrote:
I just spent almost 3 years in Charlotte (north, near Concord)

Ohhh finally someone else from North Charlotte.

I couldn't attend ASD, so I went down last week on a weekday for a tour and to ask some questions. I was pretty impressed by what I saw and what I heard. Now that I think about it, the students did seem a little bit younger than I saw during my tour at UVA, but that's the only school I have to compare it to. It sounds like some of you might have had bad luck with your student reps, but the student that showed me around was very knowledgeable and answered all of the questions I had with ease. I'm still having a tough time deciding between Fordham/BC/and Emory, but right now I'm leaning toward Emory.

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:02 pm

rich_4 wrote:
SarahT wrote:

I couldn't attend ASD, so I went down last week on a weekday for a tour and to ask some questions. I was pretty impressed by what I saw and what I heard. Now that I think about it, the students did seem a little bit younger than I saw during my tour at UVA, but that's the only school I have to compare it to. It sounds like some of you might have had bad luck with your student reps, but the student that showed me around was very knowledgeable and answered all of the questions I had with ease. I'm still having a tough time deciding between Fordham/BC/and Emory, but right now I'm leaning toward Emory.

Not actually FROM...just had a stop-over for a few years. I am a Florida girl at heart.

rich_4

Postby rich_4 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:34 am

SarahT wrote:
rich_4 wrote:
SarahT wrote:

Not actually FROM...just had a stop-over for a few years. I am a Florida girl at heart.

Bad word choice on my part. I'm not actually from here either, I'm in undergrad at Davidson.

Gail

Postby Gail » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:36 pm

vbc515 wrote:Hey all,

Just following up on my original financial aid inquiry...I got an email yesterday saying my award info was available on OPUS. What they have posted so far is the unsub. Stafford and your scholarship. I called the financial aid office and the lady told me that you have to apply seperately for the grad PLUS loans and you can download the form at this link and send it over to their office: http://www.emory.edu/FINANCIAL_AID/grad ... -forms.php

She also told me that Emory does not do federal work study for grad students but there are other emplyment opportunities that will be posted later in the summer here: http://www.emory.edu/FINANCIAL_AID/stud ... /index.php

Kind of confused about this. When I go into OPUS it says "Accept Financial Aid" before I can apply for the GradPLUS, but I don't quite yet know that I'm going there and I don't want to accept a financial aid package and then lock myself into the school. I don't know if that's how it works, exactly, but that's because I'm financial aid stupid.

Am I too late to get GradPLUS?

ab04825

Postby ab04825 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:46 pm

Gail wrote:

Just following up on my original financial aid inquiry...I got an email yesterday saying my award info was available on OPUS. What they have posted so far is the unsub. Stafford and your scholarship. I called the financial aid office and the lady told me that you have to apply seperately for the grad PLUS loans and you can download the form at this link and send it over to their office: http://www.emory.edu/FINANCIAL_AID/grad ... -forms.php

She also told me that Emory does not do federal work study for grad students but there are other emplyment opportunities that will be posted later in the summer here: http://www.emory.edu/FINANCIAL_AID/stud ... /index.php

Kind of confused about this. When I go into OPUS it says "Accept Financial Aid" before I can apply for the GradPLUS, but I don't quite yet know that I'm going there and I don't want to accept a financial aid package and then lock myself into the school. I don't know if that's how it works, exactly, but that's because I'm financial aid stupid.

Until the money is disbursed, at any time you are allowed to say you no longer want it. By accepting your financial aid packet you are not locking yourself in at Emory.
Also, you are not too late to apply for the GradPlus loan.

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:14 pm

Gail wrote:

Accepting it will not "lock" you into a school.

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:16 pm

ab04825 wrote:
Gail wrote:

Until the money is disbursed, at any time you are allowed to say you no longer want it. By accepting your financial aid packet you are not locking yourself in at Emory.
Also, you are not too late to apply for the GradPlus loan.

You are actually early. I asked for the application two weeks ago, and they didn't even have this year's out. THey do now. Some lenders for private loans won't even process an application before 3 months prior to school starting.

tbenham1000

Postby tbenham1000 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Don't worry too much about applying for GradPlus loans. All schools prompt you to take care of this when you need to, this is how they get the majority of their money. From everyone I have spoken too in Financial Aid, we will all receive information about GradPlus in May or June at which point we will be prompted to apply.

Again, they are on top of this because they want there money as badly (if not more so) than we want to attend.

EHStern

Postby EHStern » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:01 pm

What's the consensus among admitted students about these types of websites/articles?

http://emorylawstudent.com/

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/02/emory-la ... portunity/

Are they merely flaming or should I actually take them to heart? I was awarded $60k and am heavily considering Emory, but reading stuff like this scares me just a little.

mattyboy7we

Postby mattyboy7we » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:58 pm

EHStern wrote:What's the consensus among admitted students about these types of websites/articles?

http://emorylawstudent.com/

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/02/emory-la ... portunity/

Are they merely flaming or should I actually take them to heart? I was awarded $60k and am heavily considering Emory, but reading stuff like this scares me just a little.

I'm about to graduate from Emory. Personally I wouldn't base my decision on internet articles, however these are there for good reason. If you have specific questions you can pm me or just reply here and I'll do my best to help.

VanillaBear

Postby VanillaBear » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:39 pm

Hey,

Does anyone know about the reputations of either Campus Crossings at Briarcliff or Clairmont Reserve from people who have lived there? Both places seem really nice, but Campus Crossings got some terrible reviews on some websites I found. Any information would be great.

Thanks.

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:57 pm

VanillaBear wrote:Hey,

Does anyone know about the reputations of either Campus Crossings at Briarcliff or Clairmont Reserve from people who have lived there? Both places seem really nice, but Campus Crossings got some terrible reviews on some websites I found. Any information would be great.

Thanks.

I am an Emory Undergrad. Out of those two, I would say that Clairmont Reserve is the best option and would be the best option for you if you don't have a car/don't want to pay for a parking ticket. It is right across the street from the Clairmont Campus (a residential center), so you can walk to Clairmont Campus and take the E Shuttle that goes to the Law School/Business School. In my opinion, it is more of what an adult would want.

As for Campus Crossing, I know more undergrads that live at Campus Crossing. There is a shuttle that passes there (B Route) but it comes ever 30 minutes (compared to E/C, which you can take either to get to the Law School from Clairmont Campus, comes ever 5-10 minutes). Campus Crossing is more in the style of "campus owned apartments" that you would find on Emory's campus, so that's probably a reason why a lot of grad students don't live there now.

I also recommend that you look at Highland Square. (A lot of med students and a few undergrads live in this complex)

You can PM me with any specific questions about housing in the Emory/N. Druid Hills area.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:09 pm

VanillaBear wrote:Hey,

Thanks.

A bunch of my friends lived in Campus Crossings during 1L, and they all thought it was fine. It's a great way to meet people and convenient because you won't have to buy furniture, but parking kind of sucks, I haven't heard the best things about the management, and and it seemed kind of dorm-y to me.

Clairmont Reserve is fine. I have some friends who live there...never heard any complaints.

And some other apartments in case anyone is interested:

Post Briarcliff-I've only heard good things about Post. Also, a bunch of law and med students live there because undergrads aren't allowed to live on the property.

Highland Square-This complex is a little older than some of the others, so it's a bit cheaper. I've never heard any real complaints.

Gables-There are a few Gables properties near school, and they are all very nice. However, they are more expensive than most other places and I haven't heard the best things about the management.

Calibre Woods-Not many law students live here, but I've never figured out why. The complex is a little on the older side, but it's also a little cheaper than many others in the area, it's in a convenient location, and my friends who live there seem to like it.

love.emory

Postby love.emory » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:27 pm

I am on the WL at Emory Law and I want in so bad it's all I can think about. Do you guys know if they started contacting waitlists? Has anybody been accepted after being on the WL?

Thanks

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:37 am

love.emory wrote:I am on the WL at Emory Law and I want in so bad it's all I can think about. Do you guys know if they started contacting waitlists? Has anybody been accepted after being on the WL?

Thanks

There isn't any activity till after the seat deposit date. When that is, I have no idea. I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:59 am

Went through last year's thread. Deposit was due mid April. They dinged a bunch of the waitlist the last week of April. Then they sent out an e-mail in mid june about pulling people off late-june/july. 1 person said they got off in mid July, then the 1 person was pulled off in August. I think Emory filled up their class so they didn't use the waitlist much last year.

Let's hope that's different this year.

shroeder

Postby shroeder » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:10 am

love.emory wrote:I am on the WL at Emory Law and I want in so bad it's all I can think about. Do you guys know if they started contacting waitlists? Has anybody been accepted after being on the WL?

Thanks

What are your numbers?? I've seen a large range on this year's WL

love.emory

Postby love.emory » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:54 am

noleknight16 wrote:Went through last year's thread. Deposit was due mid April. They dinged a bunch of the waitlist the last week of April. Then they sent out an e-mail in mid june about pulling people off late-june/july. 1 person said they got off in mid July, then the 1 person was pulled off in August. I think Emory filled up their class so they didn't use the waitlist much last year.

Let's hope that's different this year.

Thank you for the info. I had one girl tell me she actually got accepted on the first day of classes last year. =/ The admin office did say they will be using the WL this year so I am hoping they will take a lot of people. I would rather go to Emory than anywhere else.

love.emory

Postby love.emory » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:59 am

shroeder wrote:

Thanks

What are your numbers?? I've seen a large range on this year's WL

My numbers actually aren't that high and that's why I'm worried. My Lsat is in the 150s. On the other hand, my softs are really strong. I did a lot of international work and etc.....I am just hoping that might give me a fighting chance.

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:39 am

Waitlisted candidate here. I sent in a LOCI today. While I don't have any new LSAT or GPA numbers, I have had some big life changes since I applied in January (such as moving to a new country where they don't speak english, working a job I have zero experience in, etc). Hopefully strong softs make a difference on the waitlist.

love.emory

Postby love.emory » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:07 am

diegoforlan10 wrote:Waitlisted candidate here. I sent in a LOCI today. While I don't have any new LSAT or GPA numbers, I have had some big life changes since I applied in January (such as moving to a new country where they don't speak english, working a job I have zero experience in, etc). Hopefully strong softs make a difference on the waitlist.

I really think so. Lets just hope they actually end up having enough room.

mrjohnsterman

Postby mrjohnsterman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:43 pm

Anyone hear anything about tuition for next year? I haven't seen it anywhere.

Also, as far as I can tell 2011 job numbers are nowhere to be seen.

#Frustrating

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:26 pm

I never got confirmation on the LOCI I sent in. For those who submitted one, did you receive a confirmation e-mail???? Thanks!!!

lawgirl821

Postby lawgirl821 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:53 pm

Thanks

+1 Goodluck to the both of us, here's hoping for some good news in the upcoming weeks :D

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:09 am

WL here too. Frankly it would probably also take some money to draw me away from SMU to Emory. There are still some decisions out there that could sway me sans money, but I don't think Emory is one of them.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”