Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SarahT

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby SarahT » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:59 pm

Any info on how the evening went? (couldn't make it?)

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:38 pm

I'll ask again.

So no one went this weekend.......or no one came out alive to speak of it?

skolks

Postby skolks » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:55 pm

SarahT wrote:I'll ask again.

I didn't go, but it was a great weekend in Atlanta, regardless. Color run was great, thanks for asking! Woo Emory!

bruinsfan4

Postby bruinsfan4 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:12 pm

I went, it was actually really great. I was sort of leaning toward another school, but this weekend definitely has me re-thinking that.

adg156

Postby adg156 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:25 pm

bruinsfan4 wrote:

I went, it was actually really great. I was sort of leaning toward another school, but this weekend definitely has me re-thinking that.

I agree, it was a really good experience. I'm still not sure where I'll end up, but Emory is high on my list! :D

Linus19

Postby Linus19 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:16 pm

adg156 wrote:
bruinsfan4 wrote:

I agree, it was a really good experience. I'm still not sure where I'll end up, but Emory is high on my list! :D

I really enjoyed it. I'm pretty much sold. I was 50/50 going in, but I loved Atlanta and really liked the feel of the school I got from the professors and students. I also really bought into the stuff they said about having lots of different ways to set yourself apart from other students in the eyes of employers through the field placements and practice societies along with the normal clinics and journals that most schools have.

xcrunner08

Postby xcrunner08 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:47 pm

I went this weekend as well and it was a lot of fun. I 100% going. I'm also a current Emory undergrad and I am looking for a roommate for next year. If you are interested PM me.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:17 pm

No, guys. Don't like Emory. Some people with longshots to get off the waitlist want in :wink:

srrrrh

Postby srrrrh » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:48 pm

i attended and wasn't impressed at all sadly and withdrew the next day. kind of bummed since i like atlanta, was really interested in one of their clinics and i was sure i was going to attend, but it just wasn't the environment i was looking for. hope one of you guys on the WL gets my spot!

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:46 pm

srrrrh wrote:i attended and wasn't impressed at all sadly and withdrew the next day. kind of bummed since i like atlanta, was really interested in one of their clinics and i was sure i was going to attend, but it just wasn't the environment i was looking for. hope one of you guys on the WL gets my spot!

Care to elaborate on the environment? Snobbery, competitiveness, etc. either way I am going...just curious of your decision?

prettyhorsederpychan

Postby prettyhorsederpychan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:59 pm

SarahT wrote:
srrrrh wrote:i attended and wasn't impressed at all sadly and withdrew the next day. kind of bummed since i like atlanta, was really interested in one of their clinics and i was sure i was going to attend, but it just wasn't the environment i was looking for. hope one of you guys on the WL gets my spot!

Care to elaborate on the environment? Snobbery, competitiveness, etc. either way I am going...just curious of your decision?

If you don't mind me stepping in, I think one thing that I found interesting at emory was how young the population was. A lot of the new students were k-jd / and the current students seem to be that way as well. Honestly I think I would've preferred to have bit of a diversity in age/experience group. Maybe that's how it is at other schools though, I really don't have a good comparison.

srrrrh

Postby srrrrh » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:48 pm

^ yeah, i noticed how young and similar everyone seemed and wasn't keen on it, even though i'm k-jd as well. the highlight of the day for me was the class with dean schapiro - he's a great speaker and seems like an awesome professor. everything else though i just wasn't impressed with and nothing made me want to go to emory or made the school stand out compared to my other options. my small group section was subpar at best; the student rep wasn't informative/helpful and the professor kept contradicting what she (the rep) told us, and the other people in my section just seemed really uninformed about law school in general and were asking basic questions that people interested in going to law school should already know. maybe it was just the people i interacted with, but i felt that it was substantially more homogeneous and southern/"fratty" than i had expected - not that there's anything wrong with the latter, but it reminded me way too much of my undergrad and that kind of vibe/community isn't what i want for law school. i also felt that they could have done a better job showing instead of telling that they're a strong law school and either selecting better student reps or prepping them more. and i'm sure a lot of it had to do with how many parents were there, but there was a lot less interaction between prospective students than at other places i've visited. i didn't go to the cookout or whatever on friday though and i heard that that was a lot better in that respect.
Last edited by srrrrh on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kmason

Postby kmason » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:54 pm

I went for the Friday night event & Saturday.
Coming from California, it felt strange - the vibe of the town.

Very friendly sales pitch at Emory.
They had a good show all day. Maybe I'm cynical.
Heard they sent out a ton of offers as they expect many rejections. Did any waitlisteds go? - you won't hear until back after all the deposits are recd by Emory. They tried to get me to pay mine on Saturday !!

I'm leaning towards Davis - better vibe - its California after all - none of that heavy history "Oxford Town" comes with - any Dylan fans?

lrock35

Postby lrock35 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:19 pm

It was interesting to read that the majority of the people attending Emory's ASD this past weekend were really young. I went to UDubs ASD this weekend and was really shocked that the majority of people attending were much older. I'd estimate the average age was around 28. Many of the people were in their 30's and 40's. I wasn't expecting that. It was an excellent mix of people with a lot of life experiences. The program was outstanding and we were treated extremely well. I am on Emory's waitlist and really appreciate the information from everyone attending the ASD. I'm hoping I hear something soon from Emory. I would really like to attend Emory but have a nice back up with UDub.

ab04825

Postby ab04825 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:29 pm

Just to interject, I did hear from the Dean that they sent out very few acceptances and really took advantage of their wait list this year. They said last year they had too many people accept their offers than they anticipated, and consequently ended up with a larger incoming 1L class than desired.

I went to ASW this weekend and really enjoyed it. I felt that the students that were currently attending Emory Law were extremely interesting and ambitious. They answered every question I had concerning the law school and were very accommodating.

I'm actually from GA and I felt that the mix of admitted students was very much felt. I met only 2 other people from GA and noticed many students were from the NE and Cali.

The professor I had mock class with was impressive. His method of teaching intrigued me and basically swayed my decision to 100% going to attend in the fall. Feel free to PM if you have any other questions about the weekend!

VanillaBear

Postby VanillaBear » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:08 pm

After attending the ASD, I was very pleased with Emory and will most likely be attending. Even though all of these events are supposed to provide information and make the school seem wonderful, I thought Emory did a nice job of showing how it is unique and helps students achieve their goals. I did notice that a lot of the students were younger, but many of the people I interacted with were young but not coming straight from undergrad, and a good number of 1Ls and 2Ls were still in their 20s but had worked several years before returning to school. Since I am coming straight from undergrad, I was glad to see a decent percentage of students my age.
I understand different age groups bring diversity, but I also didn't want to attend a school where most of the people were in a completely different stage of their lives than me. I did expect the people to be a little more diverse, but I wouldn’t say everyone seemed similar. I was actually surprised by how many incoming students coming out of undergrad and young law students were married.
As to the "southern/fratty atmosphere," I would tend to disagree strongly. I’m not sure if this opinion came from the Emory sponsored events or not. I’ve lived in Georgia my whole life, and I know Atlanta and Emory do not give off any real Southern when you compare them to other cities and colleges in the South. Also, I had a hard time finding prospective students from the South.
From the few descriptions listed above, it appears that the small groups they split us in produced different views of the school. My professor was helpful and provided some information you wouldn't find on Emory's website, which was nice. I was particularly impressed with the prospect of joining the Emory community because of their commitment to helping students find internships during school and jobs post-graduation.
If anyone has any more specific questions, you can PM me or just post them on the forum for people to answer. I'm really happy with Emory, so I'd be glad to tell you what I think.

kmason

Postby kmason » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:40 pm

Good to hear a different version re: # of offers sent out. Oddly, I was told they sent a lot out because many do reject Emory once a "better" school accepts them. Not that Emory isn't good, but it is not a name that's as well recognized overall as many others.
I'm interested in Intl and in the Times world ranking Emory is way below Davis and even Pittsburg.

OF course here in US News its up there - #24?

Friday night was better - got to talk to alum & students. Of course it was all pretty positive. Only one person said "southern hospitability is actually hostility" - but I did not experience that myself (2-days of limited data in an intellectual bubble).

On Friday I spoke to one of the admitting profs - he did say that they got more acceptances than they expected last year; also that waitlists may not hear until June or even later as many accepteds pay their deposits and hope their preferred choice accepts them at the last minute - so they may have "no shows" in August.

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:14 am

Last edited by SarahT on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:26 am

generally the students that volunteer for asw skew younger, although i was there (27). i wouldn't take that as a representative sample for the full emory student body. i'd say the school is a good size in that you will inevitably find people who are like you as well as a good number of people who are quite unlike you.

but that should not be why you go to this or that law school. nor should the "vibe" be the crucial factor. this decision is like a stew. add in all these ingredients: age of the class, "vibe," class size, geographic location (both during and after school-- include a generous amount of this), employment prospects, scholarship offers, family concerns, etc... and let it simmer for a while.

SoltiBichon

Postby SoltiBichon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:27 pm

Wow very interesting that people are commenting on the youth of people attending ASD.

I attended and I would say less than 15% of people I talked to were straight out of undergrad. Most were mid-late 20s and a few early 30s. I thought Emory did a pretty good job of soft selling the school - basically, find the school that you think is right for you and if you don't think that's Emory, then they understand if you pick from what is probably a ton of other attractive options for you.

My impressions were that the profs I saw in a classroom or mock classroom setting (Dean Shapiro and another guy I can't remember) were outstanding lecturers. Everyone was friendly as you'd expect - pretty much a generic, pleasant ASD. If you missed it, you missed out on a free tshirt too!

Gail

Postby Gail » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:28 pm

So I'm currently struggling to make my decision about law school. Emory and WFU are tied.

Is Emory worth 50k more than WF? I had to work so wasn't able to attend Emory's asw.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:34 pm

gail- three questions.

1. what would be the final price tag for each school?
2. would you consider working part time during 1L?
3. is your personal situation such that living in a place like winston-salem wouldn't adversely affect your ability to network? (the plain fact is there is more going on in atlanta, so that's worth considering)

my normal party line is debt minimization. keep it to five figures. if you can do that and still come to emory, then you should really be here.

Gail

Postby Gail » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:00 pm

ze2151 wrote:gail- three questions.

3. is your personal situation such that living in a place like winston-salem wouldn't adversely affect your ability to network? (the plain fact is there is more going on in atlanta, so that's worth considering)

my normal party line is debt minimization. keep it to five figures. if you can do that and still come to emory, then you should really be here.

Round up and taking interest and other loans into consideration. About 100k for Wake after 3 years (maybe less, maybe more, really depends on family). I have family in SC and consider it to be a second home of sorts, but I'll be coming from the north. Plus Wake is in NC, not SC where I have ties to. So there's that.

Probably 150 to 160 looking at it closer for Emory.

For networking, I don't know. I think I'm generally pretty good at that, don't know how I'd be better off at one place than the next. I realize not being from the south will make it more difficult in NC than it will in Atlanta, but I've always wanted to be in the south, so I'm going southwards.

My feel for both schools is that Emory is the bigger school with better employment prospects and broader reach, but more competitive and aggressive. Wake Forest is the tighter, friendlier school with devoted professors, but a smaller alumni base playing second to that of UNC.

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:42 pm

Gail wrote:
ze2151 wrote:gail- three questions.

Round up and taking interest and other loans into consideration. About 100k for Wake after 3 years (maybe less, maybe more, really depends on family). I have family in SC and consider it to be a second home of sorts, but I'll be coming from the north. Plus Wake is in NC, not SC where I have ties to. So there's that.

Probably 150 to 160 looking at it closer for Emory.

For networking, I don't know. I think I'm generally pretty good at that, don't know how I'd be better off at one place than the next. I realize not being from the south will make it more difficult in NC than it will in Atlanta, but I've always wanted to be in the south, so I'm going southwards.

My feel for both schools is that Emory is the bigger school with better employment prospects and broader reach, but more competitive and aggressive. Wake Forest is the tighter, friendlier school with devoted professors, but a smaller alumni base playing second to that of UNC.

I just spent almost 3 years in Charlotte (north, near Concord) and have been in Atlanta for one month. There are completely different "vibes". NC felt like it was at a standstill for most industries. The majority of NC is based on financial business/banks, so the people seemed less optimistic.

Just my opinion: I have lived in all of Florida, Park City UT, Houston, Phoenix, Charlotte and Atlanta. I will never return to NC....

Gail

Postby Gail » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Yeah. NC's financial sector is clearly a big deal. I feel like this is a good and bad thing for law students coming in though. Bad because it's uncertain, but good because when the banks start heating up, they light en fuego.

That's not a big part of my decision though. Very indirect to what I'd like to do with my law degree.

I liked Atlanta and NC (I liked Winston-Salem, thought it was charming). There are draw backs and advantages to big cities and smaller cities with more country around. I'm a very erratic personality. I like different things depending on my mood, so as long as I liked Atlanta and I liked Winston-Salem, that's also not a big consideration.

My biggest issue is with jobs and money. 100k is nice for a JD. But if I can only make 40k a year out of law school, I'll be going IBR regardless.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”