Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
skolks
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby skolks » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:57 pm

Visited this morning and absolutely loved it! Probably should have waited to visit until after an admissions decision, but just couldn't help myself. Now I want to go here even more. Excellent :|

User avatar
USMCMatt
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby USMCMatt » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:13 pm

skolks wrote:Visited this morning and absolutely loved it! Probably should have waited to visit until after an admissions decision, but just couldn't help myself. Now I want to go here even more. Excellent :|


Sweet. Well then if you get the admit, call UGA and tell them you are giving your spot to me... ;)

abaugus
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:16 pm

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby abaugus » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:53 pm

Just registered for Admitted Students Visiting Day! I can't wait! Anyone else going for sure?

jabberwock12
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:55 am

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jabberwock12 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:15 pm

Has Emory sent out any dings this cycle? Just wondering b/c i've been complete since around September and I haven't heard word.

twirlycrly2
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:41 am

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby twirlycrly2 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:38 pm

abaugus wrote:Just registered for Admitted Students Visiting Day! I can't wait! Anyone else going for sure?


i'll be at visiting day too! can't wait to see the school. i'm hoping it'll make my decision!

headress
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby headress » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:09 pm

In on Tuesday with a scholarship that I'm going to try to get increased.

I've never been to Atlanta so I'm really hoping to be able to fly down for accepted students day!

abaugus
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:16 pm

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby abaugus » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:16 pm

[quote="headress"]In on Tuesday with a scholarship that I'm going to try to get increased.

I had a question with regards to this.. I know Emory has a strict no negotiation policy in regards to scholarships, but does anyone know if they redistribute the scholarship money given to those who end up withdrawing? Just curious!

User avatar
srrrrh
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:28 pm

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby srrrrh » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:19 pm

this wait is killlllling me :(

skolks wrote:Visited this morning and absolutely loved it! Probably should have waited to visit until after an admissions decision, but just couldn't help myself. Now I want to go here even more. Excellent :|


haha this is my position exactly, except i visited a while back

headress
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby headress » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:25 pm

abaugus wrote:
headress wrote:In on Tuesday with a scholarship that I'm going to try to get increased.

I had a question with regards to this.. I know Emory has a strict no negotiation policy in regards to scholarships, but does anyone know if they redistribute the scholarship money given to those who end up withdrawing? Just curious!


Do they really? I had neglected to send them my fall marks, which were much better than my past marks. I was hoping that I could use my February LSAT score and fall marks to get my scholarship increased.

Your question about the redistribution of scholarship money is a good one.

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cutecarmel » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:24 am

headress wrote: Do they really? I had neglected to send them my fall marks, which were much better than my past marks. I was hoping that I could use my February LSAT score and fall marks to get my scholarship increased.

Your question about the redistribution of scholarship money is a good one.


Where are you from? I'm wondering because you say "marks" instead of "grades"

Also, in response to the question about redistribution of scholarship, it is possible that Emory makes a certain number of options with the expectation that a certain percent will be withdrawn. So they may not redistribute. And based on how they respond to other requests for increases, I wouldn't risk pissing them off.

headress
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby headress » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:23 am

[/quote]

Where are you from? I'm wondering because you say "marks" instead of "grades"

[/quote]

Canada.

I did email them asking if the marks and new LSAT score could make a difference, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

willaimson2345
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby willaimson2345 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:00 am

Anyone going to the NYC event on the 26th?

headress
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby headress » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:57 pm

twirlycrly2 wrote:
abaugus wrote:Just registered for Admitted Students Visiting Day! I can't wait! Anyone else going for sure?


i'll be at visiting day too! can't wait to see the school. i'm hoping it'll make my decision!


I think I'll be going too. I've never been to Atlanta so I'm excited to check it out, moving there would be a huge change for me and I'm more than a little nervous about it, hopefully a visit will make a difference!

shroeder
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby shroeder » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:41 am

Good luck to those still waiting, it's the week of 3/5 so more letters will be out.

kneedrag
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:30 am

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kneedrag » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:52 am

If any of you visitors have any questions about Atlanta, I'd be more than happy to answer them. I've lived here now (in town) for over 7 years.

headress
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby headress » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:16 pm

kneedrag wrote:If any of you visitors have any questions about Atlanta, I'd be more than happy to answer them. I've lived here now (in town) for over 7 years.


What's public transportation like to and from the campus?

How humid is it in the summer? Weather is oddly important to me, I like the cold, which I realize there isn't much of in Atlanta.

kneedrag
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:30 am

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kneedrag » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:58 pm

headress wrote:What's public transportation like to and from the campus?


That depends on where you live. Realistically, you can take the MARTA buses (and Emory shuttles) to get to/from most places without a car. However, a lot of people don't really care for that. Atlanta is certainly a car city, and while you can get around without one, some people aren't as comfortable on the public transportation because its mostly the poor/lower class that use it. That's up to you. I don't take the bus system at all so I can't really comment on their timeliness. I do have a friend who is here from Europe, lives in Buckhead and is doing her post doc at Emory and she takes the bus quite frequently and has mentioned that its "not always on time".

The MARTA train system is great to use, if you're actually going somewhere it goes (which is its largest limitation). It literally goes up, down, left and right, but you can transfer to/from buses to get the rest of the way.

In short, if you're from any real city with public transportation, you'll be very disappointed. If you're committed to taking public transportation, you certainly can.

How humid is it in the summer? Weather is oddly important to me, I like the cold, which I realize there isn't much of in Atlanta.


Pretty darned humid in the summer. I'm from the north originally and have lived in plenty of cold weather places (upstate NY, chicago, NE, etc). The way I look at it is as opposed to a long winter where we are inside, we have a great winter, and have a month in the summer you can't go outside! Its ok though because EVERYTHING is air conditioned, so if you're not outside, you really don't mind it too much. Atlanta is a bit worse than some cities because its land locked, and has tons of traffic, so the humidity and heat can build up.

It does get cold in the winters (just not this winter apparently), we have below freezing temps (esp. at nights). Snow is extremely rare. But overall the winters are very mild (IMO).

Fall and Spring in Atlanta are amazing. Winter is pleasant most of the time. Summer is just hot and humid.

skolks
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby skolks » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:01 pm

kneedrag wrote:
headress wrote:What's public transportation like to and from the campus?


That depends on where you live. Realistically, you can take the MARTA buses (and Emory shuttles) to get to/from most places without a car. However, a lot of people don't really care for that. Atlanta is certainly a car city, and while you can get around without one, some people aren't as comfortable on the public transportation because its mostly the poor/lower class that use it. That's up to you. I don't take the bus system at all so I can't really comment on their timeliness. I do have a friend who is here from Europe, lives in Buckhead and is doing her post doc at Emory and she takes the bus quite frequently and has mentioned that its "not always on time".

The MARTA train system is great to use, if you're actually going somewhere it goes (which is its largest limitation). It literally goes up, down, left and right, but you can transfer to/from buses to get the rest of the way.

In short, if you're from any real city with public transportation, you'll be very disappointed. If you're committed to taking public transportation, you certainly can.

How humid is it in the summer? Weather is oddly important to me, I like the cold, which I realize there isn't much of in Atlanta.


Pretty darned humid in the summer. I'm from the north originally and have lived in plenty of cold weather places (upstate NY, chicago, NE, etc). The way I look at it is as opposed to a long winter where we are inside, we have a great winter, and have a month in the summer you can't go outside! Its ok though because EVERYTHING is air conditioned, so if you're not outside, you really don't mind it too much. Atlanta is a bit worse than some cities because its land locked, and has tons of traffic, so the humidity and heat can build up.

It does get cold in the winters (just not this winter apparently), we have below freezing temps (esp. at nights). Snow is extremely rare. But overall the winters are very mild (IMO).

Fall and Spring in Atlanta are amazing. Winter is pleasant most of the time. Summer is just hot and humid.


I wouldn't say you can't go outside in the summer... I've lived in NJ and ATL and both were equally hot in the summer, but the difference was the length of the heat. It just stays hotter much longer. If you're looking for a cold winter though, you might get one week that it's in the 20s, another that it's in the 30's, and then the rest it'll be 40-50 for the "winter"

User avatar
Ga0-3L
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Ga0-3L » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:06 pm

headress wrote:
kneedrag wrote:If any of you visitors have any questions about Atlanta, I'd be more than happy to answer them. I've lived here now (in town) for over 7 years.


What's public transportation like to and from the campus?

How humid is it in the summer? Weather is oddly important to me, I like the cold, which I realize there isn't much of in Atlanta.


If you live on the Emory campus (or surrounding area) you'll be fine- there is shuttle service. If you live anywhere on the Marta line you will be fine as well as you can take Marta to Decatur square and then shuttle to school from there. Between Marta and shuttle you should be fine... but if you want to get around to the rest of Atlanta you can take Marta to near most places (as kneedrag said) but you can't get right in front of some places and would need to walk/cab/bus. That said - I wouldn't live in Atlanta without a vehicle. Ever. But if you're staying close to campus and you don't plan on going too many places it's fine- but otherwise it would get old.

The weather is humid but the heat is nice (I'm from Puerto Rico so I love heat)... it's never really cold.. we haven't had ice all winter that I know of.. this winter has been unseasonably warm and I have had cause to wear shorts at some point every month through the winter this year. Sometimes it's chilly by the north's standards but I've never known a northerner to come down here and say it was cold. I did live through the ATL blizzard of 94... I had 4 inches by my house.

skolks
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby skolks » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:50 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:
headress wrote:
kneedrag wrote:If any of you visitors have any questions about Atlanta, I'd be more than happy to answer them. I've lived here now (in town) for over 7 years.


What's public transportation like to and from the campus?

How humid is it in the summer? Weather is oddly important to me, I like the cold, which I realize there isn't much of in Atlanta.


If you live on the Emory campus (or surrounding area) you'll be fine- there is shuttle service. If you live anywhere on the Marta line you will be fine as well as you can take Marta to Decatur square and then shuttle to school from there. Between Marta and shuttle you should be fine... but if you want to get around to the rest of Atlanta you can take Marta to near most places (as kneedrag said) but you can't get right in front of some places and would need to walk/cab/bus. That said - I wouldn't live in Atlanta without a vehicle. Ever. But if you're staying close to campus and you don't plan on going too many places it's fine- but otherwise it would get old.

The weather is humid but the heat is nice (I'm from Puerto Rico so I love heat)... it's never really cold.. we haven't had ice all winter that I know of.. this winter has been unseasonably warm and I have had cause to wear shorts at some point every month through the winter this year. Sometimes it's chilly by the north's standards but I've never known a northerner to come down here and say it was cold. I did live through the ATL blizzard of 94... I had 4 inches by my house.


There was also the "Snowpocalypse" of January 2011. 3 inches of snow. Atlanta was effectively shut down for 3-4 days

User avatar
Ga0-3L
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Ga0-3L » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:59 pm

skolks wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:
headress wrote:
kneedrag wrote:If any of you visitors have any questions about Atlanta, I'd be more than happy to answer them. I've lived here now (in town) for over 7 years.


What's public transportation like to and from the campus?

How humid is it in the summer? Weather is oddly important to me, I like the cold, which I realize there isn't much of in Atlanta.


If you live on the Emory campus (or surrounding area) you'll be fine- there is shuttle service. If you live anywhere on the Marta line you will be fine as well as you can take Marta to Decatur square and then shuttle to school from there. Between Marta and shuttle you should be fine... but if you want to get around to the rest of Atlanta you can take Marta to near most places (as kneedrag said) but you can't get right in front of some places and would need to walk/cab/bus. That said - I wouldn't live in Atlanta without a vehicle. Ever. But if you're staying close to campus and you don't plan on going too many places it's fine- but otherwise it would get old.

The weather is humid but the heat is nice (I'm from Puerto Rico so I love heat)... it's never really cold.. we haven't had ice all winter that I know of.. this winter has been unseasonably warm and I have had cause to wear shorts at some point every month through the winter this year. Sometimes it's chilly by the north's standards but I've never known a northerner to come down here and say it was cold. I did live through the ATL blizzard of 94... I had 4 inches by my house.


There was also the "Snowpocalypse" of January 2011. 3 inches of snow. Atlanta was effectively shut down for 3-4 days


I actually had 8-9 inches in my front yard and about 6 on the road (most snow I've ever seen in my whole life)... but 3-4 days ain't bad-- we had the "ice storm" of '99 where power was out at my house for a full 2 weeks even though the ice was melted, and cars were running, and school was back in after 2 days... oh Atlanta I love you.

headress
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby headress » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:21 pm

Thanks for all the responses!

If I opted to live in Atlanta proper, about how long would it take me to commute to Emory? I have about a 45 minute commute to school where I am now because I opted to live downtown instead of living by school where there isn't much to do. I imagine I would do the same if I went to Emory, but the chances of me having a car are slim to none. If living near campus makes more practical sense, I'll do that; I'm not too enthusiastic about another commute. I hope to be able to go out and do some exploring if I come down from welcome day.

Weather seems to be as I expected. I guess I will just have to suck it up and deal with the heat. And by that I mean complain throughout the summer and enjoy the spring and fall.

User avatar
Ga0-3L
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Ga0-3L » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:27 pm

headress wrote:Thanks for all the responses!

If I opted to live in Atlanta proper, about how long would it take me to commute to Emory? I have about a 45 minute commute to school where I am now because I opted to live downtown instead of living by school where there isn't much to do. I imagine I would do the same if I went to Emory, but the chances of me having a car are slim to none. If living near campus makes more practical sense, I'll do that; I'm not too enthusiastic about another commute. I hope to be able to go out and do some exploring if I come down from welcome day.

Weather seems to be as I expected. I guess I will just have to suck it up and deal with the heat. And by that I mean complain throughout the summer and enjoy the spring and fall.


Traffic in Atlanta is particularly bad and living in "Atlanta proper" could mean so many different places (we have neighborhoods like NY has burroughs: Inman Park, Grant Park, Ormewood Park, Virginia Highlands, L5p, downtown, midtown, Poncey highlands, westside, pittsburgh, and more). I live in Atlanta (L5P) and work at Emory and it takes me 15 minutes in rush hour to get there from where I live. If I lived on the west side of Atlanta instead of the east I would assume it could take as long as 20/30 min. depending on traffic. Emory may have an Atlanta address but it's really in Decatur, in my opinion, on the far east end of Atlanta. If I were you- with no car- I'd live as close to campus as possible.

It would take me 5 min. to walk to Marta, 5 min. to ride Marta to be in Decatur square. I don't know how long to wait for a shuttle but I'll be generous and say 5 min. and then maybe another 5 to get to campus... so maybe 20 min. if I didn't drive and it wasn't rush hour.... public transport here is inefficient at best.

skolks
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby skolks » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:31 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:
headress wrote:Thanks for all the responses!

If I opted to live in Atlanta proper, about how long would it take me to commute to Emory? I have about a 45 minute commute to school where I am now because I opted to live downtown instead of living by school where there isn't much to do. I imagine I would do the same if I went to Emory, but the chances of me having a car are slim to none. If living near campus makes more practical sense, I'll do that; I'm not too enthusiastic about another commute. I hope to be able to go out and do some exploring if I come down from welcome day.

Weather seems to be as I expected. I guess I will just have to suck it up and deal with the heat. And by that I mean complain throughout the summer and enjoy the spring and fall.


Traffic in Atlanta is particularly bad and living in "Atlanta proper" could mean so many different places (we have neighborhoods like NY has burroughs: Inman Park, Grant Park, Ormewood Park, Virginia Highlands, L5p, downtown, midtown, Poncey highlands, westside, pittsburgh, and more). I live in Atlanta (L5P) and work at Emory and it takes me 15 minutes in rush hour to get there from where I live. If I lived on the west side of Atlanta instead of the east I would assume it could take as long as 20/30 min. depending on traffic. Emory may have an Atlanta address but it's really in Decatur, in my opinion, on the far east end of Atlanta. If I were you- with no car- I'd live as close to campus as possible.

It would take me 5 min. to walk to Marta, 5 min. to ride Marta to be in Decatur square. I don't know how long to wait for a shuttle but I'll be generous and say 5 min. and then maybe another 5 to get to campus... so maybe 20 min. if I didn't drive and it wasn't rush hour.... public transport here is inefficient at best.


From west midtown to Emory it took me 30 minutes at 8AM. Living in midtown (piedmont park area) would probably take 15-20 minutes

kneedrag
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:30 am

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kneedrag » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:33 pm

It all depends on where you end up. It can be very easy to have a 1hr commute to/from emmory living lots of places in town. Emory is in a rotten location and the roads that lead to it are small and get congested. That said, distance wise, it isn't super far. There are plenty of great places (with lots to do) that are within a 45 minute commute, you should be fine.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ashrice13, blackpi, derekne, ellielaw, JD_Kingfish, Mia93, mm2368, notorious_mig, smashbash, spursforever, WamBam, Yahoo [Bot] and 34 guests