Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cutecarmel

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cutecarmel » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:44 pm

When did you submit? Most of us waited around 4 months for a decision and many people are still waiting.

I don't know if it affected your decision, but you could always call the admissions office to be sure.

Ga0-3L wrote:I am still in undergrad and my grades changed (another round of straight As so nothing bad of course) - but I had a new transcript sent to LSAC and it went to the schools and my files all had to be updated in mid - late January. Is it possible that this update caused my file to be moved further back due to modified rolling admissions? Does anyone have a guess on that? I feel like I should have had an answer by now - good / bad or indifferent (waitlist)...

greeneyes812

Postby greeneyes812 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:05 am

I am a 1L at Emory now, and I can vouch that they are pretty strict on their no negotiating policy for scholarships. I don't know anyone who has done it. That being said, they are pretty generous with the percentage of people that get them, so if you haven't gotten anything and feel like you should be getting something (ie median numbers or better) then it's worth a call to admissions to see if it may be coming in a separate letter. Good luck everyone! I love it so far!

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:09 am

cutecarmel wrote:When did you submit? Most of us waited around 4 months for a decision and many people are still waiting.

I don't know if it affected your decision, but you could always call the admissions office to be sure.

Ga0-3L wrote:I am still in undergrad and my grades changed (another round of straight As so nothing bad of course) - but I had a new transcript sent to LSAC and it went to the schools and my files all had to be updated in mid - late January. Is it possible that this update caused my file to be moved further back due to modified rolling admissions? Does anyone have a guess on that? I feel like I should have had an answer by now - good / bad or indifferent (waitlist)...

I submitted the first week open. Then retook the LSAT so that pushed it back a good bit (scores came back ridiculously late.). Then a couple weeks after that updated with a new GPA and transcript. I know the LSAT pushed me back for consideration but I'm just wondering if I was pushed back again for the new transcript. So my latest complete status (after the new transcript) was mid-January for some schools and very late January for Emory. So I'm wondering if I'm in line from the first week open or moved in line to the latest update (the transcript in very late January)...

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:16 am

Ga0-3L wrote:
cutecarmel wrote:When did you submit? Most of us waited around 4 months for a decision and many people are still waiting.

I submitted the first week open. Then retook the LSAT so that pushed it back a good bit (scores came back ridiculously late.). Then a couple weeks after that updated with a new GPA and transcript. I know the LSAT pushed me back for consideration but I'm just wondering if I was pushed back again for the new transcript. So my latest complete status (after the new transcript) was mid-January for some schools and very late January for Emory. So I'm wondering if I'm in line from the first week open or moved in line to the latest update (the transcript in very late January)...

I think you are overthinking this a bit too much, but if you are really anxious as to when you will be accepted or rejected you, the admissions office would know best. But just wait it out. There is plenty of time for stress during law school, lol.

Maybe you'll be in the next wave of acceptances.

shroeder

Postby shroeder » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:03 pm

Nothing in the mail today... Now 48 hours of radio silence. Gotta love the weekend.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:00 pm

Last edited by stillwater on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CwallXC322

Postby CwallXC322 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:52 pm

stillwater wrote:In today via snail mail. 3.1/167. Nice handwritten note.

When did you submit?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:53 pm

CwallXC322 wrote:
stillwater wrote:In today via snail mail. 3.1/167. Nice handwritten note.

When did you submit?

Late September/Early October

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:05 pm

greeneyes812 wrote:I am a 1L at Emory now, and I can vouch that they are pretty strict on their no negotiating policy for scholarships. I don't know anyone who has done it. That being said, they are pretty generous with the percentage of people that get them, so if you haven't gotten anything and feel like you should be getting something (ie median numbers or better) then it's worth a call to admissions to see if it may be coming in a separate letter. Good luck everyone! I love it so far!

Can +1 this. I'm a 2L (not at Emory) and when I tried to negotiate scholarship I was told, "we're not eBay, we're a top-20 law school." But maybe they've changed their tune now that they've been getting womped in the rankings for a couple of years.

vto35

Postby vto35 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:20 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
greeneyes812 wrote:I am a 1L at Emory now, and I can vouch that they are pretty strict on their no negotiating policy for scholarships. I don't know anyone who has done it. That being said, they are pretty generous with the percentage of people that get them, so if you haven't gotten anything and feel like you should be getting something (ie median numbers or better) then it's worth a call to admissions to see if it may be coming in a separate letter. Good luck everyone! I love it so far!

Can +1 this. I'm a 2L (not at Emory) and when I tried to negotiate scholarship I was told, "we're not eBay, we're a top-20 law school." But maybe they've changed their tune now that they've been getting womped in the rankings for a couple of years.

Did they really say that to you????

prettyhorsederpychan

Postby prettyhorsederpychan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:23 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:

hoooly crap, they actually said that to you?!? wow. that's extremely .. disappointing.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:48 pm

In their acceptance letters, some schools specifically state not to negotiate scholarships and that all scholarship decisions are final. I have not tried to negotiate any scholarships, but if I were to try, I would carefully word my request so I wouldn't come off as sounding like "I'm hot stuff and I deserve more money than you are giving me". But apparently, you shouldn't try anything at Emory.

cylon_clone

Postby cylon_clone » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:58 pm

prettyhorsederpychan wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:

hoooly crap, they actually said that to you?!? wow. that's extremely .. disappointing.

Wow. Well, after dropping 10 spots in 2 years I would hope they'd change their (very rude) tune. WUSTL gave me quite a bit more scholarship money and their ranking and medians are higher. And it's not like St. Louis is a rural mud pit where they have to throw money at students to force them to attend.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:00 am

cylon_clone wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:

Wow. Well, after dropping 10 spots in 2 years I would hope they'd change their (very rude) tune. WUSTL gave me quite a bit more scholarship money and their ranking and medians are higher. And it's not like St. Louis is a rural mud pit where they have to throw money at students to force them to attend.

Emory has the Coca-Cola Factory.. but St. Louis has Anheuser Busch ...not competition

BKCentral

Postby BKCentral » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:18 am

Transferthrowaway wrote:

Should have responded "you mean top 30."

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:52 am

BKCentral wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:

Should have responded "you mean top 30."

This was nearly two years ago. They were 20 at the time.

vto35 wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:

Did they really say that to you????

Yes, they did. But to clarify and in mild defense of Emory, it was during an in-person meeting with admissions so it was an off-the-cuff comment and it was said in a friendly tone. I think Emory is a fine (albeit overpriced) school and the only point of relaying the story was to point out their previous aversion to negotiating scholarships.

BKCentral

Postby BKCentral » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:03 am

My bad, for some reason I thought they had only fallen 7 spots in the last 2 years instead of 10. Silly me.

kroakstool

Postby kroakstool » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:11 am

Emory has the Coca-Cola Factory.. but St. Louis has Anheuser Busch ...not competition[/quote]

Actully the largest Budweiser plant in the country is Just up the road from Emory in Cartersville.

gatorapplicant

Postby gatorapplicant » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:23 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:

geez i hope they are generous on the first go-around. i was hoping for woodruff but didn't make the cut

skolks

Postby skolks » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:57 pm

kroakstool wrote:Emory has the Coca-Cola Factory.. but St. Louis has Anheuser Busch ...not competition

Actully the largest Budweiser plant in the country is Just up the road from Emory in Cartersville.[/quote]

And let's not forget the Georgia Aquarium. We have dolphins now! (yes, I say we as an Atlanta resident)

beezy08

Postby beezy08 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:50 pm

Got my letter! I didn't realize how much I was going to enjoy the handwritten note that everyone spoke of...but it's really great.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:52 pm

beezy08 wrote:Got my letter! I didn't realize how much I was going to enjoy the handwritten note that everyone spoke of...but it's really great.

Congrats!!!

parebare23

Postby parebare23 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:14 pm

beezy08 wrote:Got my letter! I didn't realize how much I was going to enjoy the handwritten note that everyone spoke of...but it's really great.

Congrats!! When did you apply?

beezy08

Postby beezy08 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:33 pm

parebare23 wrote:

Congrats!! When did you apply?

I went complete on 10/28

BKCentral

Postby BKCentral » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Congrats! And yeah, when I read of other people getting notes I was like meh, but then when you get your own it's like "aww they actually care about me!"

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”