Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
freaknroll

Bronze

Re: Emory c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by freaknroll » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:34 pm

If those of you posting are current emory students can you give some info regarding oci and how bad/good it was this past year. Is emory really that bad, by TLS standards, as some people say it is?

Ga0-3L

Bronze

Post by Ga0-3L » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:42 pm

kneedrag wrote:It all depends on where you end up. It can be very easy to have a 1hr commute to/from emmory living lots of places in town. Emory is in a rotten location and the roads that lead to it are small and get congested. That said, distance wise, it isn't super far. There are plenty of great places (with lots to do) that are within a 45 minute commute, you should be fine.
But they said no car- you can't 45 min. commute anywhere around here with no car... except the airport... anywhere in the burbs would be disastrous 45 min. out with no car... Marta doesn't even go ITP except south to the airport....

No way you can live 45 min. from Emory without a car in ATL.

kneedrag

Bronze

Post by kneedrag » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:43 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:
kneedrag wrote:It all depends on where you end up. It can be very easy to have a 1hr commute to/from emmory living lots of places in town. Emory is in a rotten location and the roads that lead to it are small and get congested. That said, distance wise, it isn't super far. There are plenty of great places (with lots to do) that are within a 45 minute commute, you should be fine.
But they said no car- you can't 45 min. commute anywhere around here with no car... except the airport... anywhere in the burbs would be disastrous 45 min. out with no car... Marta doesn't even go ITP except south to the airport....

No way you can live 45 min. from Emory without a car in ATL.
You're correct, I meant with car.

Without car it takes about a day and a half to get anywhere. Speed in the MARTA system was cut from the budget somewhere around 1984.

kneedrag

Bronze

Post by kneedrag » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:44 pm

freaknroll wrote:If those of you posting are current emory students can you give some info regarding oci and how bad/good it was this past year. Is emory really that bad, by TLS standards, as some people say it is?
Neither myself nor Ga0-3L are current emory students. We just happen to live in Atlanta.

Ga0-3L

Bronze

Post by Ga0-3L » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:46 pm

kneedrag wrote:
freaknroll wrote:If those of you posting are current emory students can you give some info regarding oci and how bad/good it was this past year. Is emory really that bad, by TLS standards, as some people say it is?
Neither myself nor Ga0-3L are current emory students. We just happen to live in Atlanta.
True, true. I do work on the campus so I know that commute well-enough but I'm most assuredly not a student there. . . . YET! **crosses fingers**

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

scram202

Bronze

Post by scram202 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:37 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:
kneedrag wrote:
True, true. I do work on the campus so I know that commute well-enough but I'm most assuredly not a student there. . . . YET! **crosses fingers**
I am a current Emory Undergrad and I will likely be attending Emory Law next year (whoo hooo) but I wanted to just add that you MUST have a car to attend Emory. While MARTA and the Cliff Shuttles may help you with the real basics - supermarket, airport, hospital, they do little else to connect you to any of the events, restaurants, or nightlife that you will want to experience in Atlanta. I love Emory, I love Atlanta, and the campus, and especially the law school are beautiful. While I am not 100% sure Im attending yet (waiting on a few schools) I cannot begin to convey how great Emory is and how much I personally feel they care about their students.

headress

New

Post by headress » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Wow, it looks like the verdict is to both live close to campus and have a car. Thank you all this information!

Is the area surrounding Emory pleasant?

kneedrag

Bronze

Post by kneedrag » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:40 pm

headress wrote:Wow, it looks like the verdict is to both live close to campus and have a car. Thank you all this information!

It all depends. Many would consider decatur one of the best parts of town. Super desirable for families, but tons of great restaraunts and bars. The campus proper is about 2-3 miles north/east of the square.

Its also close to the highlands/morningside, reasonably close to midtown and buckhead. Lots of options. Will depend on what kind of area you want, what kind of housing (apartment? highrise? house? etc) and especially how much you want to pay.

Lots of diversity in Atlanta, its part of what makes living in town so amazing.

tamarind49

New

Post by tamarind49 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:23 pm

In with $ as of March 5th (Monday)! I'm international, and they kindly e-mailed me the acceptance letter. It was a pleasant surprise! Hope people hear more good news this week :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

abaugus

New

Post by abaugus » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:53 pm

I've heard the student parking at Emory is practically not existent. Can anyone speak to this?

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:04 pm

tamarind49 wrote:In with $ as of March 5th (Monday)! I'm international, and they kindly e-mailed me the acceptance letter. It was a pleasant surprise! Hope people hear more good news this week :)
Congrats!!!!!....I guess they sent out the third round of decisions today..lhopefully everybody waiting will get something in the mail in a few days

Ga0-3L

Bronze

Post by Ga0-3L » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:
tamarind49 wrote:In with $ as of March 5th (Monday)! I'm international, and they kindly e-mailed me the acceptance letter. It was a pleasant surprise! Hope people hear more good news this week :)
Congrats!!!!!....I guess they sent out the third round of decisions today..lhopefully everybody waiting will get something in the mail in a few days
^ This

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:59 am

kneedrag wrote:
headress wrote:Wow, it looks like the verdict is to both live close to campus and have a car. Thank you all this information!

It all depends. Many would consider decatur one of the best parts of town. Super desirable for families, but tons of great restaraunts and bars. The campus proper is about 2-3 miles north/east of the square.

Its also close to the highlands/morningside, reasonably close to midtown and buckhead. Lots of options. Will depend on what kind of area you want, what kind of housing (apartment? highrise? house? etc) and especially how much you want to pay.

If one was looking to rent a house (at least 2bd/ba) for under $1300 or so, where would this be possible? Would it be possible at all?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

skolks

New

Post by skolks » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:09 am

vissidarte27 wrote:
kneedrag wrote:

If one was looking to rent a house (at least 2bd/ba) for under $1300 or so, where would this be possible? Would it be possible at all?
House? Probably not... Though I could be wrong because I live in midtown and my apartment is 980 sq. feet 2bd/2ba and is 1299

littlepanda

New

Post by littlepanda » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:22 am

exactly the same for me, good to hear

Ga0-3L

Bronze

Post by Ga0-3L » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:27 am

vissidarte27 wrote:
kneedrag wrote:
headress wrote:Wow, it looks like the :lol: verdict is to both live close to campus and have a car. Thank you all this information!

You'd definitely need to live out at least a few minutes, I would think... I pay $1500 for an 1100 sqft 2br in L5P... You could do it in Decatur or Clarkston... 15 min. out.... or Tucker. Check out Realtor.com and search rentals with Emory Law (on North Decatur Road) in the address field.

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:11 am

abaugus wrote:I've heard the student parking at Emory is practically not existent. Can anyone speak to this?
Everyone who applies for it gets parking. However, it's rather pricey and 1Ls don't get to park in the lot right next to the law school. The other parking decks are around a 10 minute walk away. Everyone can park in the LS parking lot after 4 though, so most 1Ls either move their cars then, or take the shuttle to and from class and then bring their cars later when they study in the library.
vissidarte27 wrote: If one was looking to rent a house (at least 2bd/ba) for under $1300 or so, where would this be possible? Would it be possible at all?
I don't know much about renting houses, but some of the families I know live in Decatur, one lives in a townhouse about 5 miles down LaVista/towards the suburbs (I forget the name, but I can ask when I see him), and one of my friends rents a room in a pretty cheap house in Edgewood, but he says the area is kind of sketchy. Also, it's not a house, but I rented a 2br/2ba for $1165 last year, and it was over 1200 square feet in one of the nicer/more expensive apartment complexes right by school.

Edit: I'm a 2L at Emory, and I love it here. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the school or the area.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kneedrag

Bronze

Post by kneedrag » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:45 am

vissidarte27 wrote: If one was looking to rent a house (at least 2bd/ba) for under $1300 or so, where would this be possible? Would it be possible at all?
Sure.

http://www.padmapper.com

I have friends that are renting out their 2b/b single family house about two blocks from oakhurst (very reasonable distance to emory) for $1300.

shroeder

Bronze

Post by shroeder » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:58 am

Oooo Emory is good.
Emory is GREAT!!
Send me my admissions letter
Please dont be late!!

(more bad poems to come if I don't get in soon....)

Ga0-3L

Bronze

Post by Ga0-3L » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:15 am

shroeder wrote:Oooo Emory is good.
Emory is GREAT!!
Send me my admissions letter
Please dont be late!!

(more bad poems to come if I don't get in soon....)
This is a horrible poem... yet it moves me... please let this person in, lest more poems come......

skolks

New

Post by skolks » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:51 pm

Got my admission packet complete with 20k per year! So excited! I think I'll be attending! Yay!!! Good luck to everyone else and I hope to be classmates with you!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adika86

New

Post by adika86 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:59 pm

skolks wrote:Got my admission packet complete with 20k per year! So excited! I think I'll be attending! Yay!!! Good luck to everyone else and I hope to be classmates with you!
Are you in Atlanta? Just wondering when to hope for my acceptance in the mail and if they were mailed on Monday.

Edit: And congratulations, of course!

skolks

New

Post by skolks » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:03 pm

adika86 wrote:
skolks wrote:Got my admission packet complete with 20k per year! So excited! I think I'll be attending! Yay!!! Good luck to everyone else and I hope to be classmates with you!
Are you in Atlanta? Just wondering when to hope for my acceptance in the mail and if they were mailed on Monday.

Edit: And congratulations, of course!
Yeah, I'm in Atlanta so it hit me first I guess. So they definitely went out yesterday! Thanks!

Ga0-3L

Bronze

Post by Ga0-3L » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Are there any other waiters desperate to go to Emory? I hear it all over the Georgia waiting thread but I feel all alone all sad-faced waiting to be picked for dodgeball over here at the Emory thread...

shroeder

Bronze

Post by shroeder » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:08 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:Are there any other waiters desperate to go to Emory? I hear it all over the Georgia waiting thread but I feel all alone all sad-faced waiting to be picked for dodgeball over here at the Emory thread...
I'm with ya. I wish I could be more optimistic but at this point I'll believe it when I see. Good luck! Btw what are you numbers? I'm over 75th GPA and median last

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”