Missouri Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thelawschoolproject

Re: Missouri Class of 2015

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:08 pm

Opie wrote:.

I'm still not sure if I want to be so far away from home. My family will be here in Iowa.

If you are centered on Iowa, you could always do Drake as a back-up? At this point it's pretty comparatively ranked with Mizzou.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:13 pm

Opie, Iowa isn't too far away. One of my classmates is an Iowa grad and his family is there. He seems to be doing well.
thelawschoolproject wrote:Opie Missouri should be your top choice. It's the only place that has Ford.

This is a 100% factual statement. And sweet.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:16 pm

It's not my extended family I'm worried about. I have a wife and kids that I'd like to see on weekends sometimes.

I've already applied to Drake, and I'm sure I'll get in there. I've also applied to Iowa. I think I have a strong chance there too.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:19 pm

Opie wrote:It's not my extended family I'm worried about. I have a wife and kids that I'd like to see on weekends sometimes.

I've already applied to Drake, and I'm sure I'll get in there. I've also applied to Iowa. I think I have a strong chance there too.

I agree. I think you have a reasonable shot at Iowa.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:22 pm

Opie wrote:It's not my extended family I'm worried about. I have a wife and kids that I'd like to see on weekends sometimes.

Oh. That's a pretty massive issue. We'd love to have you here at Mizzou, but an Iowa school may be the way to go for you.

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:22 pm

Law school is hard with a family. Really hard. I speak from experience.

The only thing I can think of that would be harder is trying to do law school separated from your family.

ect88

Postby ect88 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:19 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:Jeff City is a short drive from CoMo . . . quite a few people commute, TBH. So, if you can't find work in Jeff City (although, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to) you can work in CoMo.

As for DA offices the Federal District Offices are in STL and KC, but for each county in MO there are appointed "prosecuting attorneys" and there is one of them in CoMo.

1L at another school creepin' instead of writing my memo...

I went to Mizzou for undergrad, and I just wanted to throw in that Jeff City offices LOVE free interns. LOVE them. You could seriously just call them up and they'll probably take you. If you end up working in the capitol, follow @momunch on twitter and it'll give you a heads up as to where there's free food every day (thanks, lobbyists!).

I didn't choose Mizzou for law school, but I spent 4 years of my life in Columbia. If anyone has general q's about the city or campus, feel free to message me.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:49 pm

ect88 wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:Jeff City is a short drive from CoMo . . . quite a few people commute, TBH. So, if you can't find work in Jeff City (although, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to) you can work in CoMo.

As for DA offices the Federal District Offices are in STL and KC, but for each county in MO there are appointed "prosecuting attorneys" and there is one of them in CoMo.

1L at another school creepin' instead of writing my memo...

I went to Mizzou for undergrad, and I just wanted to throw in that Jeff City offices LOVE free interns. LOVE them. You could seriously just call them up and they'll probably take you. If you end up working in the capitol, follow @momunch on twitter and it'll give you a heads up as to where there's free food every day (thanks, lobbyists!).

I didn't choose Mizzou for law school, but I spent 4 years of my life in Columbia. If anyone has general q's about the city or campus, feel free to message me.

As a former free-intern in Jeff City, I can attest to this. Free food everyday and sometimes in more than one location!

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:02 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:As a former free-intern in Jeff City, I can attest to this. Free food everyday and sometimes in more than one location!

This is relevant to my interests.

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Ford Prefect wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:As a former free-intern in Jeff City, I can attest to this. Free food everyday and sometimes in more than one location!

Yeah, I find starvation does limit ones ability to study...

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Ford Prefect wrote:

Just go to the Capitol around 11:45 M-F...food is guaranteed, usually up in one of the alcoves.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:54 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
Ford Prefect wrote:

Just go to the Capitol around 11:45 M-F...food is guaranteed, usually up in one of the alcoves.

I'm going to try and get a internship with one of the teachers' unions next semester, but that's on campus. Not so much help food-wise.

bmili

Postby bmili » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:16 pm

Just got the acceptance phone call! Very excited!

AmandaPB

Postby AmandaPB » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:25 pm

I am currently at Mizzou for undergrad, so feel free to ask any questions about the school/town in general, although I don’t know anything about the law school.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:40 pm

Congrats, bmili.

Amanda, are you considering staying here for law school?

AmandaPB

Postby AmandaPB » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:55 pm

Ford Prefect wrote:Congrats, bmili.

Nope, I need to get far, far awayyyy from Missouri; I’ve lived in the state my whole life. The schools I’ve applied to are in my profile, but I’m hoping I’ll end up in San Francisco or New York.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:57 pm

AmandaPB wrote:
Ford Prefect wrote:Congrats, bmili.

Nope, I need to get far, far awayyyy from Missouri; I’ve lived in the state my whole life. The schools I’ve applied to are in my profile, but I’m hoping I’ll end up in San Francisco or New York.

hahaha....your scores are significantly too good for here. Well done.

CPM723

Postby CPM723 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:26 pm

Has anyone gotten an acceptance packet yet? I was admitted in October and have only received a letter. Any ideas?

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:38 pm

I believe I received my packet sometime in January.

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:08 pm

My recollection is january as well...couple weeks before scholly. I remember feeling psyched out...

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:15 pm

Quick Question.

Not a Mizzou applicant, but just wondering about Mizzou. Was it recently a T2 and dropped down to 3rd Tier? It looks to have far and away the most rigorous admission standards of any 3rd Tier (its medians are more impressive than the T2 I'll likely be attending next fall). What gives?

CPM723

Postby CPM723 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:19 pm

molazapuku wrote:My recollection is january as well...couple weeks before scholly. I remember feeling psyched out...

Awesome! Thanks for the help. Just wasn't sure if I needed to call them to send it again.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:30 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:Quick Question.

Not a Mizzou applicant, but just wondering about Mizzou. Was it recently a T2 and dropped down to 3rd Tier? It looks to have far and away the most rigorous admission standards of any 3rd Tier (its medians are more impressive than the T2 I'll likely be attending next fall). What gives?

Over the past three years Mizzou dropped from the 60s to where they are now.

Poor hiring stats + complete lack of spending = big drop.

The career services office just expanded this year, which will hopefully help a little with hiring (Mizzou made the mistake - if you're into rankings - of using their actual hiring statistics), and the university has approved a good deal of money to be used upgrading the school itself. We've also brought in several new professors and cut the size of the 1L class, which will drop the student/prof ratio.

CPM723

Postby CPM723 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:38 pm

Ford Prefect wrote:

The career services office just expanded this year, which will hopefully help a little with hiring (Mizzou made the mistake - if you're into rankings - of using their actual hiring statistics), and the university has approved a good deal of money to be used upgrading the school itself. We've also brought in several new professors and cut the size of the 1L class, which will drop the student/prof ratio.

Do you think these changes will lead to a rise into the top 100 this year? Also, when are the upgrades planned to start?

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:41 pm

CPM723 wrote:
Ford Prefect wrote:

Do you think these changes will lead to a rise into the top 100 this year? Also, when are the upgrades planned to start?

I don't know about this year. I don't know how the rankings are calculated.

They basically already started. New carpeting, painting hallways...it doesn't sound like much, but it's something. Hopefully within the next year we start getting some tech upgrades as well.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”